PDA

View Full Version : Would you test pharmaceutical drugs for money

Corvus
10-11-2012, 10:00 AM
I have seen a film on German television about
this. Some people earn their living by testing pharmaceutical innovations.
It is lucrative but there are risks involved like unforeseen side effects and even lethal dangers in the worst case.

Heart of Oak
10-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Only Narcotics...
no uppers either, were do i sign?

Corvus
10-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Only Narcotics...
no uppers either, were do i sign?

Nowhere I suppose. I should have made more poll options

Corvus
10-11-2012, 10:17 AM
They showed one guy from Berlin called Lars who is engaged in up to 10 tests at the same time, which is not allowed but cannot be controlled as the tests are anonymous and there are no databases for privacy reasons.
He receives pills to take and ointments to lubricate but in fact he just accepts them without even using the products a single time. He just appears to the dates required in the clinic and fills out the questennoires. This way he collects up to € 600,- per month :rolleyes:

Absinthe
10-11-2012, 10:18 AM
No, I wouldn't risk my health for any amount of money, no matter how needed...

Benacer
10-11-2012, 11:02 AM
They showed one guy from Berlin called Lars who is engaged in up to 10 tests at the same time, which is not allowed but cannot be controlled as the tests are anonymous and there are no databases for privacy reasons.
He receives pills to take and ointments to lubricate but in fact he just accepts them without even using the products a single time. He just appears to the dates required in the clinic and fills out the questennoires. This way he collects up to € 600,- per month :rolleyes:

So it's pretty much 60 euro per test? That's pretty crappy considering the probable risks.

Osprey
10-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Maybe, but not for the money.
For the excitement and secrecies involved....

Corvus
10-11-2012, 11:53 AM
So it's pretty much 60 euro per test? That's pretty crappy considering the probable risks.

It depends on the drug and varies a lot.
There are also studies where they pay € 2.000,- but the volunteers
have to spent a whole week in the cllinic and there are many examinations and daily blood samples subjected on the individual.

Hàkon
10-11-2012, 01:02 PM
I have taken part in such a study.

Tabiti
10-11-2012, 04:57 PM
I know a guy who did that, but a friend of him who study Pharmacy told it was safe :D
However, the guy has taken all sort of cheap drugs, so I suppose his results weren't quite accurate...The amount wasn't big enough to cover the risk, however.

Blackout
10-11-2012, 05:16 PM

Wouldn't that ruin the tests? It could mix up the effects of the other tests.

Fortis in Arduis
10-11-2012, 05:33 PM
I would not do it. Even drugs which have passed trial have nasty side-effects, so being a guinea pig for drugs which have not is not a good idea.

Google "Parexel Elephant Man":

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Se19XAPwVi8/SUZxh_3yK0I/AAAAAAAAEWI/mudUkqVzx_E/s400/hand.jpg

Tabiti
10-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Well you'll be always a guinea pig for the medical industry. The only difference is usually you have to pay for the chemicals.

Siberian Cold Breeze
10-11-2012, 05:52 PM
never..simply :)

Benacer
10-11-2012, 06:48 PM
All of those stories make you wonder how reliable are drugs which went through such testing in the first place.

Also they always include a reasonably sized (half of all testers, I think?) placebo group, so there is always a good chance you'll end up with a flour pill.

Tabiti
10-11-2012, 06:54 PM
All of those stories make you wonder how reliable are drugs which went through such testing in the first place.
They are not, actually. Usually in drug testing there are two groups - one is given the substance, the other takes just placebo. If the expected effects on the first groups are more frequent the drug is working...
I want to test drugs, but to be among the placebo group:D

Frosty
10-12-2012, 06:43 AM
I pray I never become so poor or helpless so this could be the only chance for earning a living.
On the other hand,if it's something that affects someone I love,I would test them even for no money.

Kazimiera
10-12-2012, 11:10 PM
I have done this already. I got about $10 per visit to the doctor for this trial. It was basically money to cover travelling expenses and not to make a profit.

There was a drug which had not been approved for a specific illness. I have that specific illness and met all the criteria. So I went for it. I had nothing to lose, and people with this illness had everything to gain if it turned out okay. At the same time the trial was being conducted in various countries across the world.

I had to have blood tests continually, ECG's once a month. I had to see the doctor once a week for six weeks, once every two weeks for 3 months and then once a month after that. The trial was 52 weeks long.

Since then the drug has been approved because of this trial.

Sure, I put my life at risk but it turned out good and other people are benefitting from it. That's what matters and that is why I did it.

EDIT: I know for a fact that I was not getting a placebo but the actual drug.

Tabiti
10-13-2012, 06:09 AM
OK, let's play the following scenario: you're going to die for an illness and they offer you to test a new drug against the illness killing you. You don't lose anything. In such case I would volunteer.

Onur
10-13-2012, 08:12 AM
I would never do it because i am not a lab rat.

but in fact, the giant pharmacy companies are already doing this without people`s consent. Only 3-4 giant companies controls whole world`s medicine sector. They release their new products in 3rd world countries at first and wait for the real world test results for some time. If it`s useful without much side effects, only then they release it in EU and USA. For example, Africa is their biggest lab to test their products.