PDA

View Full Version : Which is the greatest love, humanity is capable of?

Osprey
10-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Discuss?

Kalitas
10-15-2012, 07:36 PM
The love of a parent for his/her children is something that can never be matched, not even by the love of a child for his parents.

Fortis in Arduis
10-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Compassion is the highest form of love, equivalent to godly love, and lust is the lowest form of love.

Tabiti
10-15-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm not a parent, but I think no feeling is greater, purer and stronger than paternal love. And maybe self-love. We do almost everything for ourselves, don't we?

Arthas
10-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Parental is obviously the strongest love by far.

But other than that, I'd say the "love" between best friends is the strongest. I "love" my best friend more than I could ever love any girl.

Osprey
10-16-2012, 08:02 PM
I think the even parents sometimes sell their kids or abort their kids.
The love between two comrades, forged in the heat of battle, is something which can never be known unless experienced.

Barreldriver
11-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Which is the greatest love, humanity is capable of? This question assumes a universal potential for mental progression amongst humans, this in fact not the case given the diversity of human thought, this diversity the result of different capabilities across the board.

Consider: *From notes taken in course on Philosophy of Religion to be applied to the subject at hand. (A hybrid of thoughts by Paul MacLean, deceased, and the instructor of the course I attend, name of said Doctor left anonymous at present so to avoid the association of my internet habits with his.)

SCMA = Self Conscious Moral Agent

Reptilian complex and SCMA awareness -
Correlation with Ethical Egoism
Experience of SCMA mind = Self as mere puppet to instincts, developing addictive traits (stemming from hedonistic tendencies).

The hedonistic nature of such a mind making it unlikely for the capability of "love" to extend beyond that which is present in the fulfillment of self pleasures.

Social/Emotional Limbic Complex and SCMA awareness -
Correlation with Moral and Cultural Relativism
Experience of SCMA - Self as puppet to social conditioning norms, developing uncritical actions and behaviors.

The uncritical nature of such a mind making it unlikely for the capability of "love" to extend beyond the direction initiated by peer pressures.

Reptilian + Social/Emotional Limbic Complex + Restricted Executive Neocortex & SCMA awareness -
Correlation with Utilitarianism
Experience of SCMA - reason attends to pains and pleasures of all affected, or used for rationalization without critical evaluation.

A dependence upon such methods as Utilitarianism limits the capacity to love to extend beyond striving to maximize utility, meaning the maximization of overall happiness, regardless if it is most tactical to do as such.

Reptile + Social/Emotional + Neocortex & SCMA awareness -
Correlations with Deontology and Virtue Ethics
Experiences of unhindered rationalization per hidden EE, MR, or U concerns or SCMA develops D/VE control and oversight; Plato's charioteer analogy.
All three levels of brain & mind are active, explaining moral weakness of will, social conditioning, and rationalization, revealing our need for moral transformation, to gain moral freedom from the controls of the reptile and social/emotional brain.

The capability to love perhaps greatest in such a mind per the rational nature of, implying greater tactical application evident in actions of critical evaluation, the rational inspiration behind such love enhancing the quality of.

The question ought to not be pertinent to the capacity of love within humanity as an amalgamation rather pertinent to the capacity of love within an individual, a case by case/more personal analysis.

Virtuous
11-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Having children while in romantic love makes the bond between two that already love each other even stronger. Or at least that's how I imagine it.

So 1 and 2 together.

arcticwolf
11-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Having children while in romantic love makes the bond between two that already love each other even stronger. Or at least that's how I imagine it.

So 1 and 2 together.

Dreamer! :D You watch too many romantic movies! ;)

Virtuous
11-01-2012, 08:54 PM

You wasn't lucky...or rather unlucky enough to experience love at that level :P.

If only I was cold as an icecube.

Virtuous
11-01-2012, 08:55 PM

DCX3ZNDZAwY

:D

arcticwolf
11-01-2012, 09:00 PM
As strong as the parent/child love relationship is it is not the greatest form of love there is. The reason being is that even if not understood or vehemently denied that love still has selfish roots, for obvious reasons.

The greatest form of love is selfless, has no strings attached to it, is without direction, and expects nothing in return. It's called loving kindness. When developed it is accompanied by compassion, sympathetic joy and equanimity. That kind of love is only possible for a mind that is clear, quiet and mindful.

arcticwolf
11-01-2012, 09:05 PM
You wasn't lucky...or rather unlucky enough to experience love at that level :P.

If only I was cold as an icecube.

If that's what you want, I hope you'll experience it my friend. :)

Keep in mind nothing lasts forever and get a prenup. :D

Virtuous
11-01-2012, 09:15 PM
If that's what you want, I hope you'll experience it my friend. :)

Keep in mind nothing lasts forever and get a prenup. :D

Wise as always, oh great indian chief weed-smoker-wolf :D

mahalo.

StonyArabia
11-01-2012, 09:20 PM
The parental love, and especially that's of maternal nature.

Sophie
11-01-2012, 10:15 PM
God.

arcticwolf
04-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Someone said Osprey is East Indian? So what? He is an intelligent dude, more so than some Euros. lol Where the fuck is he?