PDA

View Full Version : 1-0 to the Poms

Beorn
07-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Branson sparks Aussie backlash after beaming picture of himself onto Sydney Harbour Bridge backing England in the Ashes

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/07/09/article-1198557-05A610FD000005DC-829_468x286.jpg

Richard Branson has sparked outrage among Australian cricket fans after he beamed a huge image of himself onto Sydney Harbour Bridge backing England in the Ashes.

The Virgin boss, who said his stunt was done all in 'good fun', has angered Australian fans who said the billionaire should be arrested.

The billionaire projected a head-shot of his face painted with St. George's Cross onto a pillar of the Aussie landmark with a cheeky message to England's opponents.

Text under Branson's smiling face, aimed at Oz captain Ricky Pontin, read 'Good Luck Ricky. You'll need it. Dickyx

But Australian fans did not see the funny side of Branson's stunt and labeled it as inappropriate.

One fan said: 'I think Richard Branson should be arrested and punished just like those kids who shine lights at aircraft, drop in on you in the surf, or like those people who wear fluro 'save the rave' t-shirts.'
And a Virgin PR representative received a call this morning from an Australian journalist who said: 'Get your rich pom off our bridge.'
Some have even called the stunt offensive to their beloved Sydney as projecting images on to the landmark is usually forbidden.

In a move that will further irritate Australians, the Virgin Group chief has pledged to donate £1,000 to charity for every English batsman who scores 50 runs during the series to celebrate the national roll-out of the firm's ultrafast 50Mb broadband service.

But today Branson remained unrepentant and said it was all done in banter.
He said: 'I love Australia and I know the Aussies are always up for a spot of light-hearted banter, especially when it comes to the Ashes.

'Every Australian I know wants to stuff us in the upcoming series and I wanted to do my bit to encourage the England team in the hope that they can win the Ashes this time around.'
On his Twitter page today Branson gave a tongue in cheek apology.
He said: 'I'm sorry I’m sorry if I’ve ruffled a few Aussie feathers with my message... maybe the truth hurt! C’mon Englan.'
Australia lost the Ashes urn in the 2005 series in England, but regained it 5-0 in the home 2006-07 series.

Source (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1198557/Branson-sparks-Ashes-outrage-beaming-picture-Sydney-Harbour-Bridge.html)

Brynhild
07-12-2009, 04:06 AM
Poms on the ropes and praying for rain
AAP - July 12, 2009, 12:30 pm
Australia had a physically and mentally exhausted England on the ropes heading into the final day of the opening Ashes Test in Cardiff.

Only further rain interruptions and some dogged resistance look like stopping Australia from assuming a 1-0 lead in the five-Test series at Sophia Gardens on Sunday.

The weather forecast for the last day is mainly fine with the chance of showers.

Ashes debutants Marcus North (125no) and Brad Haddin (121) completed the humiliation of the English attack on Saturday as Australia made 6(dec)-674, the nation's highest Ashes total since 1934.

Needing 239 to make the tourists bat again, England crawled to tea on the fourth day at 2-20 before rain washed out the final session with skipper Andrew Strauss (6no) and Kevin Pietersen (3no) unbeaten.

"To wrap that off tomorrow with a win and be 1-0 up at a venue I guess that at the start of the series a lot of people fancied England's chances would be a great confidence boost," North said.

England's Paul Collingwood said his side's batsmen had to put away any frustrations about the controversial Ravi Bopara dismissal and dig in on Sunday.

"I think the batsmen have to take responsibility and I think as I said we have three sessions to bat tomorrow and you have to take responsibility as an individual to see them through and not leave it to anybody else," he said.

" ... tomorrow is all about being the man to put your hand up and see all three sessions through."

After spending just under 12 and a half hours in the field, there should have been no surprise the footwork of the English batsmen wasn't going to be that flash in the second innings.

And Mitchell Johnson (1-11) was the first to exploit that as he had Alastair Cook (6) plumb in front in fading light.

The lights came into effect at the ground and improved vision but not enough to stop Ben Hilfenhaus (1-9) from collecting Bopara's (1) scalp seven balls later.

Hilfenhaus had the right-hander adjudged lbw by umpire Billy Doctrove with some question marks over the height of the ball.

Australia's seamers have plenty more work to do on Sunday, they probably need to take the majority of the wickets rather than rely on Nathan Hauritz and the cast of part-timers.

The pitch is taking turn and playing some tricks but hasn't deteriorated dramatically because of the wet weather of the past two days.

The tourists had four century makers in their first innings - the first time a team had done so in an Ashes battle since Trent Bridge in 1938.

Australia's batsmen were utterly ruthless in their 181-over innings and rarely gave England's bowlers a sniff on a slow pitch.

North and Haddin became the 15th and 16th Australians respectively to score a ton in their maiden Ashes clash, the last men to achieve the feat being Damien Martyn and Adam Gilchrist at Edgbaston in 2001.

England's five frontline bowlers also brought up triple figures as well in James Anderson (2-110), Stuart Broad (1-129), Graeme Swann (0-131), Andrew Flintoff (1-128) and Monty Panesar (1-115).

The carnage from North and Haddin's 200-run sixth wicket stand only ended when the gloveman was caught on the boundary by Bopara off Collingwood's bowling.

Source (http://au.sports.yahoo.com/cricket/news/article/-/5719137/poms-ropes-praying-rain)

1-0 to whom? Revenge is a dish that is best served cold Dicky! :D