PDA

View Full Version : Controversial education laws for 2012 (US)

Kazimiera
10-22-2012, 12:16 AM
In America.

1) LGBT CURRICULUM:

Thanks to California’s FAIR Education Law, public school students will be the first in the country to receive mandatory instruction on the historical contributions of gays, lesbians, and people with disabilities.

Teachers will be prohibited from introducing material criticizing LGBT Americans or those who practice particular religions. Opponents have already begun five initiatives to repeal the mandate. Their latest efforts aim to allow parents to remove children from class while the new curriculum is being taught.

2) ONLINE RIGHTS

What students share on MySpace, Facebook, or Twitter during their personal time is no longer exclusively private in Illinois. Illinois school boards now have the authority to suspend or expel kids whose messages are deemed threatening to other students or school employees.

3) UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS

The California DREAM Act is a controversial bill allowing undocumented high school graduates to receive private financial aid to attend state colleges. The second portion of the law, set to begin Jan. 1, 2013, will allow undocumented students to apply for public scholarships and financial aid.

More than a dozen other states, including Maryland, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, have recently enacted similar policies to increase access to higher education for undocumented students.

4) UNDERAGE ABORTIONS

Starting January 1, 2012, girls in New Hampshire under age 18 are no longer permitted to seek abortions on their own or with the support of school counselors. Instead, pregnant teens must get permission from parents or guardians, whom abortion providers will notify by certified mail. Alternatively, girls can seek permission to terminate pregnancies directly from a judge by petitioning the court in person or via email.

5) SPORTS RULES

At least 13 states are about to get tough on competitive student athletes who appear to have suffered a head injury. In Colorado, the Jake Snakenburg Youth Concussion Act requires kids between the ages of 11-18 to be immediately removed from a game or practice if a concussion is suspected. They will then need written medical clearance to return to play, and subsequent supervision from athletic trainers. All public and private school coaches, as well as volunteer Little League and Pop Warner coaches, must also receive annual concussion training.

6) CAFETERIA FARE

Thanks to a bill passed by Congress, parents can expect school cafeterias to continue dishing out pizza to kids since the popular fast food has recently been deemed a vegetable. The new regulations also lift restrictions on the use of potatoes and sodium, ensuring that tater tots and French fries will remain a lunch line favorite.

http://www.takepart.com/article/2012/01/04/most-controversial-education-laws-2012

Schneider
10-22-2012, 12:59 AM
#4 seems reasonable.

Methmatician
10-22-2012, 01:29 AM
#5 sounds ok.

Kazimiera
10-22-2012, 01:52 AM
#5 sounds ok.

I agree with you, but according to this website it is controversial. I don't see anything controversial about protecting people again spine and brain injuries. I honestly cannot see why this is considered controversial. In fact, letting kids play after such injuries is more controversial in my opinion.

As for the abortion, I can also see why this rule was set in place. In my country a girl of 13 is able to give legal consent for an abortion. Given the circumstances in my country I know why the age is so young. On the one hand I see it as responsible practice that the parents should be notified. On the other, a lot of young girls do not wish their parents to know that they are pregnant at all.

Grizzly
10-22-2012, 02:38 AM
I agree with you, but according to this website it is controversial. I don't see anything controversial about protecting people again spine and brain injuries. I honestly cannot see why this is considered controversial. In fact, letting kids play after such injuries is more controversial in my opinion.

As for the abortion, I can also see why this rule was set in place. In my country a girl of 13 is able to give legal consent for an abortion. Given the circumstances in my country I know why the age is so young. On the one hand I see it as responsible practice that the parents should be notified. On the other, a lot of young girls do not wish their parents to know that they are pregnant at all.

The law is mainly for American Football which is a really violent sport which is notorious for it's head injuries.

It really doesn't affect other sports like soccer/futboll or basketball.

#6 is ridiculous and it's hilarious. Pizza a vegetable? No wonder america is so fucking obese. The food served to kids is pure garbage(in school and at home)