PDA

View Full Version : Server OS?

Holle Bolle Gijss
10-24-2012, 02:34 AM
I was hoping that maybe some of you had a bit of knowledge were it comes to servers and available operating systems.

I'm currently installing a 40 Tb server to host various websites on and am absolutely clueless as to wich software is best for the job.

Opinions are somewhat 50/50 on Linux and Windows based so not a lot of help I'm afraid.

Any info is appreciated.:)

Thanks in advance...

Osprey
10-24-2012, 03:14 AM
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/151491/server_operating_systems/

arcticwolf
10-24-2012, 03:30 AM
I was hoping that maybe some of you had a bit of knowledge were it comes to servers and available operating systems.

I'm currently installing a 40 Tb server to host various websites on and am absolutely clueless as to wich software is best for the job.

Opinions are somewhat 50/50 on Linux and Windows based so not a lot of help I'm afraid.

Thanks in advance...

Well I'm afraid it's a bit out of my realm as I am Storage Admin and not a Sys Admin but here is what I know works in the enterprise. If you are willing to pay Solaris is always a good choice a solid and proven UNIX variant, oracle sells it as it has bought Sun. Apache web server is the most popular web serving software out there I think. There are many other options but the Solaris Apache combo is guaranteed to work well.

Ask me about the beauty of storage solutions and we can have a week long convo. LOL

Holle Bolle Gijss
10-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Well I'm afraid it's a bit out of my realm as I am Storage Admin and not a Sys Admin but here is what I know works in the enterprise. If you are willing to pay Solaris is always a good choice a solid and proven UNIX variant, oracle sells it as it has bought Sun. Apache web server is the most popular web serving software out there I think. There are many other options but the Solaris Apache combo is guaranteed to work well.

Ask me about the beauty of storage solutions and we can have a week long convo. LOLWe deceided to try Solaris (well the free version OpenSolaris) and its all up and running. I'm still voting for a windows OS purely because thats the only OS I can actually operate.

Were just a bit unsure if we should've gone for a blade server. But thats a concern for later times.

Furnace
10-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Ubuntu works fine (or any linux distro) although Ubuntu is very newb friendly, I used it for a LAMP server.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_(software_bundle)

Best of all, it is free, it just requires a few hours of invested time to understand the basics.

Holle Bolle Gijss
10-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Ubuntu works fine (or any linux distro) although Ubuntu is very newb friendly, I used it for a LAMP server

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_(software_bundle)Very interesting! I'll be sure to check that out.:thumb001:

arcticwolf
10-28-2012, 07:15 AM
We deceided to try Solaris (well the free version OpenSolaris) and its all up and running. I'm still voting for a windows OS purely because thats the only OS I can actually operate.

Were just a bit unsure if we should've gone for a blade server. But thats a concern for later times.

Well, I'm not really sure what works well for small or medium size business, my experience is in the enterprise. Blades are used to consolidate and bring down space, cooling, electricity etc costs, requirements (of course combined with virtualization). My guess is that in the small business scenario it really does not matter, as the number of servers is not in the thousands and there is no need or justification for a full blown data center, if that's what you are dealing with. Well they look cool and save space so if you really feel like it go for it. ;) If this is a stand alone application specific server ( web in this case ), than I don't see how you can go wrong with just off the shelf hardware. Unless there is a business need for constant and reliable availability 24/7. I think you'll be alright if this is not a critical application.

Panzerfaust
10-28-2012, 08:18 AM

Thanks in advance...

I personally don't even use Windows for games if I can help it. However, your options go beyond just Wintard and Linux-based OSes.. There are other, older forms of UNIX still in active development and use. BSD is a biggie, as is Solaris. Both are reliable and somewhat multiplatform. GNU/Linux is probably a good choice as well, but any of these *NIX variants can be had for free, so explore!

vdkn67
12-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Have you ever considered to buy dedicated servers at some ISP:
No problem with hardware, no problem with OS, big storage, backup, etc.
In my case it was much cheaper, than lets say, average pro-liant with win08.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dedicated_hosting_service

SKYNET
12-13-2012, 06:03 PM
the debian distribution of linux is rather very suitable for servers. The most reliable and powerful.
There are a different CD/DVDs of the linux distributions under my table, you need only to download .ISO from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop it's all free you know :)