PDA

View Full Version : 'Keep God out of football'

Beorn
07-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Football’s governing body has sparked controversy after disciplining the Brazilian team for overt displays of Christianity during a match.
Stars including £56million Real Madrid forward Kaka and captain Lucio revealed T-shirts with devout slogans such as ‘I Belong to Jesus’ and ‘I Love God’ during the Confederations Cup final last month.
Now Fifa has risked accusations of being ‘anti-religious’ by reminding Brazil of its guidelines banning players from making displays of a personal, religious or political nature on the football pitch.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/07/11/article-0-0201C1C600000578-69_468x443.jpg

A warning letter was sent to the Brazilian football federation ‘to remind them of the relevant regulations, so that such incidents do not recur in the future’.
Brazilian players, and Kaka in particular, are well-known for their strong religious beliefs and the squad and backroom staff formed a large circle and sank to their knees in prayer after the victory over the US at the end of last month.

In the subsequent team photographs, many players were wearing the Christian T-shirts, with captain Lucio prominent as he lifted the trophy.
But Brazil’s display of faith had an extra element of controversy because most of the players are Pentecostalists, whose leaders have been accused of violating religious freedom by attacking those of other faiths.

In the light of Brazil’s high-profile display of faith, seen around the world by millions of television viewers, the head of football in Denmark wants all religious statements banned from football.
Jim Stjerne Hansen, secretary general of the Danish football association, said: ‘Just as we reject political manifestations, we should also say no to religious ones. There are too many risks involved in clubs, for example, with people of different religious faiths.’

Fifa rules specifically ban the use of T-shirts or other undergarments, but there is nothing that outlaws prayer or other displays of religious belief. Law 4, which deals with players’ equipment, reads: ‘Players must not reveal undergarments showing slogans or advertising. The basic compulsory equipment must not have any political, religious or personal statements.’
Brazil have escaped sanction, just as they did following a similar display of T-shirts after their 2005 Confederations Cup win, but football has made its intention clear to keep religion, as well as politics, out of sport.

Source (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1199121/Brazils-football-superstars-told-Keep-faith-football.html)

How about we keep bureaucratic ham-fisted idiots out of football instead!

Not content with ruining the beautiful game, they now wish to restrict what a player does to celebrate his goal.

Octothorpe
08-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Oh, I thought you were talking about FOOTBALL, not soccer.

The God of Abraham doesn't give a crap about soccer.

:tongue

Óttar
08-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Why do players thank God when they score a touchdown, but remain silent when they trip up behind the line of scrimmage? :rolleyes:

ikki
08-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Oh, I thought you were talking about FOOTBALL, not soccer.

The God of Abraham doesn't give a crap about soccer.

:tongue

Football means "foot" and "ball" should somehow be involved. Your american rugby is much better described as handegg.

Treffie
08-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Football means "foot" and "ball" should somehow be involved. Your american rugby is much better described as handegg.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_APjgPmP_12w/SZEkmZuG1CI/AAAAAAAAEc0/mZzSuIDvRR0/Handegg_thumb4.jpg

Óttar
08-03-2009, 03:58 AM

Damn slow ass loading... Lost my post!

Repeat:

I watched a Mexican League soccer match and the game ended 0-0. If I was a spectator in the audience, I would've demanded my money back for 3 hours of wasted life. My dorm-mate insisted that the game was valid despite being scoreless!

I can't stand the offside rule. Try enforcing that in a backyard game between kids. The kid to try and enforce it would get beaten up. Oh wait, soccer can't do away with a stupid rule that might actually make the game into a high-scoring exciting affair. :rolleyes: If the defender allows an offensive player to get ahead of him to field a kicked ball on the other end, it means the defender is TOO SLOW.

Guapo
08-03-2009, 04:49 AM
I can't stand the offside rule. Try enforcing that in a backyard game between kids. The kid to try and enforce it would get beaten up. Oh wait, soccer can't do away with a stupid rule that might actually make the game into a high-scoring exciting affair. :rolleyes: If the defender allows an offensive player to get ahead of him to field a kicked ball on the other end, it means the defender is TOO SLOW.

They should change that rule.All of those colonial "football" games stem from the real English(God bless them) football though. This Gaelic stuff is great to watch(the original "rugby"?), like Aussie rules :D Players should celebrate the way they want to anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDwXzyZtKp0