PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Heathendom..

Lyfing
07-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Lectures on the Origin and Growth of Religion as Illustraed by Celtic Heathendom, by Sir John Rhys.. (http://www.archive.org/details/lecturesonorigin00rhys)

Having thus alluded to the quantity of the materials at my
disposal, I would only add as to their nature, that a large proportion
of them is of a philological order ; and I fear that I have
not always taken care enough to make it as easy to skip the
etymological passages as the general reader could wish, at any
rate if publishers and reviewers do not grossly exaggerate the
requirements of his comfort. With regard to comparisons extending
beyond the Celtic group itself, most assistance has been
derived from the ancient literature of Scandinavia. From one
branch of the Aryan family, the Slavonic, I have been almost
wholly unable to draw any help, as I found the existing works
on the subject of old Slavonic religion and mythology either too
antiquated or too brief to consult with advantage. This I regret
all the more, as I do not believe that materials are wanting to
illustrate the religious and mythic aspect of Slavonic history.

After these remarks, it is needless to say that I have not
attempted to discuss the early fortunes of Christianity among
the Celts. That is a large subject worthy of being treated in a
separate series of lectures by some one well versed in the mass
of old literature devoted to the lives of the saints of Erinn and
both Britains. Of course it is not pretended that anything
connected with the history of religion among the Celts—or among
the Teutons, if it comes to that—could vie in popularity with
the pedigree of the last idol unearthed in the East, or even with
the discovery of a new way of spelling Nebuchadnezzar's name.
Still the Celtic field of research has a rapidly growing interest
for scholars, who now regard it as one in which the investigator's
labours are most certain to be crowned with brilliant results.
'The great attraction of Celtic philology consists in the very
fact that every haul of the net, without exception, brings in a
rich spoil.' So wrote a distinguished German scholar the other
day ; and his words are true of Celtic philology in that wider
sense of the term which would embrace not only the study of
Celtic speech, but also of Celtic archceology and history, of Celtic
religion and folk-lore, of Celtic myth and saga.

Later,
-Lyfing

Baron Samedi
07-12-2009, 10:08 PM
I would absolutely love to see a Celtic heathen movement, and all of the subsequent tribal aspects of such a thing.

I have always been drawn to that side more than Germanic, in a sense.

Aemma
07-13-2009, 02:15 AM
I would absolutely love to see a Celtic heathen movement, and all of the subsequent tribal aspects of such a thing.

I have always been drawn to that side more than Germanic, in a sense.

But there already is a Celtic Heathen Movement. It tends to go by the title of Celtic Recon more than anything else.

Gooding
07-13-2009, 02:23 AM
But there already is a Celtic Heathen Movement. It tends to go by the title of Celtic Recon more than anything else.

Yeah, true. www.imbas.org might be a good place to begin to investigate Celtic Reconstructionism, as the Celts, unlike the Germanic Folk, wouldn't refer to themselves as heathen in identifying their folk religion. It's an interesting ideology, although it wouldn't apply to me, perhaps there are those of largely Celtic heritage who could identify with it.Their emphasis on the land and their ancestors is certainly laudable!:thumb001::)

Psychonaut
07-13-2009, 07:45 AM

You know it's not the same though. None of the Celtic Recon groups are folkish in the least. It's the same story with the Roman Recon groups; they're all a bunch of loony unis.

Electronic God-Man
07-13-2009, 08:37 AM
It's the same story with the Roman Recon groups; they're all a bunch of loony unis.

From what I have seen most of these Roman pagans are not Italian or even mediterranean. That in itself throws up red flags for me. I would have hoped that atleast a majority of them would be Italian, instead its a bunch of blue-eyed blonde-haired Quintuses, Luciuses, and Flaviuses.

Aemma
07-13-2009, 02:59 PM
You know it's not the same though. None of the Celtic Recon groups are folkish in the least. It's the same story with the Roman Recon groups; they're all a bunch of loony unis.

Fair point Psy. I don't know any Celtic Recons personally but from what I understand, yes, they don't seem to have a very strong (if at all existent) folkish bent. I wonder why that movement seems to have developed in this manner? But I agree it would be something for it to develop more as a folkish religion than a Celtic flunny bunny one. I think there's perhaps too much of a Wiccan infusion there? I don't know. I'm quite wary of supposed recon religions that seem hel-bent on literally dressing the part as well. :rolleyes:

Baron Samedi
07-14-2009, 01:27 AM

Yeah.... I have known about such a movement for several years now.... Hence why I said "Celtic Heathenry" as opposed to that crock of shit.

Óttar
07-14-2009, 02:33 AM
It's the same story with the Roman Recon groups...

I belong to Nova Roma and they take historical authenticity seriously. I am amazed that ancient Hellenic and Roman religion isn't a large movement, considering that classical mythology tends to be the first mythology with which people are familiar. Not to mention all the classical allusions that have informed our literature, music, poetry, indeed our entire civilization.

Mediterranean religion after the classical period was urbane and cosmopolitan. People from all over Alexander's empire traded their cults and ideas. There were all sorts of disparate cults flourishing throughout the Roman empire, so in the context of mediterranean paganism, the "folkish" element became basically a non-factor after the move away from the Hellenic polis as the center of the ancient religion.

Many extremely rich Europeans were enthusiasts of the classical religion, and one member of a "Hellfire Club" in the upper crust of Revolutionary Era America had various shrines built to Venus throughout his massive estate. I am very surprised Roman paganism did not gain any benefactors in this latter day. For better or for worse (worse), Catholicism is the illegitimate successor to the Roman tradition; allowing them to hijack the best in Roman art styles, the Latin language, ritual, liturgy and priestly hierarchy. One can only wonder and lament that all this was not in the service of the true Roman faith, in a better world. That is, a world without Christianity. Indeed, the religio romana antiqua is the true Olde Faith!

Gooding
07-14-2009, 02:44 AM
^ Very interesting viewpoint.As a Catholic, I was entranced by certain aspects of ritual that seemed more as a holdover from ancient Roman paganism rather than early Christian ritual.My faith now has a more personal charm as it also speaks to my blood and the rituals recorded and reconstructed by the A.F.A. and the Wolves of Vinland resonate more deeply with me and my wife as well, interestingly enough, considering her Wiccan orientation..