PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever practised a Martial art?

Germanicus
07-12-2009, 10:33 PM
My martial art was ECKA, English contact Karate Association.
My final grading was a purple belt, an injury to my left elbow curtailed any thoughts of getting my black belt, as the next grading was my brown belt, then black.
The association was brought together by Howard Brown, the then world champion at kick boxing.
The style was shotokan, we trained and had competitions within the assosiation at full contact.

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n449/ruffusruffcut/FlyingLibby.jpg

Psychonaut
07-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Yes. I practiced and taught Toas Kung Fu (http://www.thinktoas.com/default2.htm) (also called Nabard) for about six years straight before I left Pensacola. Here's a picture of me that's still on their site (age 17 or 18):

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2212&stc=1&d=1247470934

Nowadays, I practice and teach Modern Army Combatives (http://www.moderncombatives.org/).

Phlegethon
07-13-2009, 08:39 AM
Back then when I still had time I practiced judo, jiu-jitsu, aikido and some kendo. Then at university I started academic fencing, which probably is only borderline martial arts, but usually much more gory.

http://www.mecklenburgia.de/popup/mensur_gross.jpghttp://www.planet-wissen.de/pics/IEPics/portraet_verbind_blut_g.jpg

Jarl
07-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Tae-kwon-do for 5 years, then kicboxing for 2 ;)

I can still do the splits! hahaha! :P

Laudanum
07-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Judo for 3 years, Karate for 2 years and Kickboxing for 1 year.:D

Loki
07-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Judo for 3 years, Karate for 2 years and Kickboxing for 1 year.:D

... and you're only 14? :eek:

:thumbs up

Jarl
07-13-2009, 11:27 AM
... and you're only 14? :eek:

:thumbs up

Yeah! Folkstorm will kick asses if he keeps it up! :thumb001:

Tabiti
07-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Aikido for 1-2 months (it was just not for me);)

Octothorpe
07-13-2009, 04:33 PM
A bit of Karate, several years of Tai Chi Ch'uan, and Combatives when I was in the service.

Barreldriver
07-13-2009, 04:42 PM
I learned some stuff from this style, Kwan Ying Do:

http://www.hingsingschool.com/history.html

I was never an official student, had an uncle that was a personal student of the founder of the school, and I learned some stuff from him, nothing much.

and High School wraslin'. :D

Birka
07-13-2009, 05:53 PM
I wrestled in high school and college. So many of today's MMA stars come from a wrestling background. Current UFC heavyweight champion, Brock Lesnar, is a former NCAA wrestling champion.

Revenant
07-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Yes, Wing Tsun and Bando.

Kempenzoon
07-13-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm trying to start with Historical European Martial Arts, but I can't find the time to do so :(

When I'm not working in the weekends, I'm doing one of a gazillion other obligations I have. And when I finally do have some actual spare time, I'm so busted I just want to sit or lie down and get online or read a book.

Brännvin
07-13-2009, 08:02 PM
I practiced Icehockey from 7 to 16 years old, it counts as a martial art sport? :D :P

No, I never practiced martial art sport..

Jarl
07-13-2009, 08:27 PM
I practiced Icehockey from 7 to 16 years old, it counts as a martial art sport? :D :P

You do not have to ;) Being a "pissed off skåning", it runs in your veins! :thumbs up

Germanicus
07-13-2009, 08:34 PM

Both my sons practised a martial art, my eldest son joined ECKA, whilst my youngest son practised tae kwon do.
I remember watching the higher belts practice their kicks, and making a mental note that when they deliver say a round house off the back leg they drop their reverse arm guard.
My style of fighting we were taught that whatever leg you kicked from your reverse arm came up just below your chin.
When i picked this point up with his 4th Dan instructor, he just said it was the high kicks that made you drop your face guard, but as i was taught full contact, once you get smacked dropping your guard you are loath to do it twice.

Loki
07-13-2009, 08:40 PM
I studied Jeet Kune Do (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeet_kune_do) philosophy for around 5 years in South Africa, and loved it. It is a way of life where you learn more about yourself and your own limitless abilities - that come from the inner qi - than any particular rigid style.

Sol Invictus
07-13-2009, 09:07 PM
I studied Olympic Karate when I was about 8 years old when my mum put me in it, up to about 16 years of age and left the Dojo when I had my Brown Belt, and left to join the 614 Firebird Squadron Royal Canadian Air Cadets. Martial arts served me really well in keeping myself active and fit and taught me alot about taking care of myself, as well as self respect and respect for you opponent. I used to practise Kenjutsu/Iadojutsu also during that time, and I still have my Iado (Katana) given to me some years back, and unfortunately I let it get alot of suface rust on the blade which can be scrubbed off easily enough, but then that would just reveal all the scratching I did to it when I tried to sharpen the Hamon myself, which was really stupid because there's a special way of doing it... I still have it, and now that I am alot older and more mature, I really wish I respected and treated the blade better than I did..

Phlegethon
07-13-2009, 09:41 PM
I forgot to mention years of streetfighting, i.e. everything that is strictly forbidden in a dojo, but definitely more effective.

Germanicus
07-13-2009, 09:46 PM
I forgot to mention years of streetfighting, i.e. everything that is strictly forbidden in a dojo, but definitely more effective.

Bad Phlegy, over here in England when you join a martial art school or take up boxing you have to have a licence, if you get into trouble fighting, the power of the law is unleashed and the law kicks your arse...:D

Phlegethon
07-13-2009, 09:55 PM
I started streetfighting well after my martial arts training, and not by volition, but as self-defense. Political dissenters did not have it too easy here in the 80s.

Germanicus
07-13-2009, 10:04 PM
I started streetfighting well after my martial arts training, and not by volition, but as self-defense. Political dissenters did not have it too easy here in the 80s.

Our political dissent back in the 80s was not paying the poll tax, you Germans dissent over the slightest thing, whilst us Brits only complain about cigarettes going up, the price of petrol, and the price of a pint in our local...:D

Phlegethon
07-13-2009, 11:05 PM
I remember the Miners' Strike, though. And the Battle of Orgreave.

Jägerstaffel
07-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Tae-kwon-do.

Guapo
07-14-2009, 12:09 AM
judo,kendo, fencing(mačevanje)

Groenewolf
07-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Tae Kwon Do and a very small bit of hapkido.

Treffie
07-14-2009, 11:37 AM
I used to fence, mainly with epee and foil.

Will
07-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Mixed martial arts for 3 years.

Phlegethon
07-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Does Extreme Asskicking count as martial art? Occasionally I am still active in that discipline.

Reichsritter
07-16-2009, 03:01 AM
I did one-on-one Sheng Hun and Hung Fut kung fu with a guy I use to go to High school with for a few years. Nothing formal but I wanted it for the knowledge of how to strike and kick correctly, not for the culture behind it. We would often spar with only mouth pieces and 5 oz gloves. Even at 21 my jaw now pops/aches every time I take a bite or chew and my teeth will probably rot when I am older from how many punches to the jaw I've taken. I also have permanent nerve damage to my shins. It always feels as if I have just taken an ice pack off, IE any sensation is dull.

When I was in junior college I started to do MMA training. I quit after winning my second match. I landed a textbook punch to the jaw and the guy started to go down, putting one knee down on the mat. I took a step and slammed my palm into his head again and cracked his jaw. From what I heard I left him with a Grade II concussion. It wasn't a sport anymore, it was simply about seeing how much I could hurt someone. Even with the MMA rules they had at the time, I could have probably left someone permanently disabled.

Now I just stick to weight lifting, occasionally mock fighting with friends if they are feeling especially brave. :tongue When I go to Germany to start my Masters I would like to participate in academic fencing and/or German longsword dueling through a European martial arts company.

Phlegethon
07-16-2009, 08:39 AM
When I go to Germany to start my Masters I would like to participate in academic fencing

Be prepared for something completely different. The trick of to completely overcome your reflexes. The only part of the body moving is the right arm and the distance between the two fencers is fixed. If you have the exact speed you could almost do that blindly. And be prepared for some horizontal scars in your face. ;)

Reichsritter
07-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Mark Twain dedicated a number of chapters in I believe A Tramp Abroad to German fencing. He said how the students would meet in a house and talk, play chess and cards, smoke cigarettes until it was time to duel. They would then be called up two at a time and duel for either the 15 minutes required or until the surgeon stopped the match. It seemed that every duel he witnessed the surgeon stopped the match. A fellow he was talking to was called up to duel and had his upper lip split in the process. After having his lip sutured he came right back over to Twain and attempted to talk with him some more (despite having his speech impaired by the injury), cheerful as can be. :D

Twain also wrote about how the students would pull their wounds apart and pour wine into them so that the scars would be even worse. At that moment I knew that it was a society I wanted to be apart of. :cool:

Phlegethon
07-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Fortunately things have changed quite a bit since then. And fraternities are very marginalized here compared to the U.S. But they are also far more selective and not as puerile.

Amarantine
07-16-2009, 10:08 AM
hmmm quite agressive bunch of men here, may be better to say ... a gang :P

Phlegethon
07-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Nah, it's the Phlegposse! ;)

Bloodeagle
07-16-2009, 08:50 PM
I took 3 years of Japanese GoJu-Ryu as a young lad in California. It was my parents loving gift to keep the migrant Mexican farmworkers from working me over!:thumb001:
I attained a Junior Brown belt.

Germanicus
07-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Nah, it's the Phlegposse! ;)

I'm not a Phlegpussy.....:D

Tony
07-16-2009, 09:14 PM
I did , I practised judo for almost 15 years since I was 10 , climbed up to the black belt (1st dan) , also took part in a few local amateur championships but then because of the lack of spare time I stopped.

Germanicus
07-16-2009, 09:19 PM
I did , I practised judo for almost 15 years since I was 10 , climbed up to the black belt (1st dan) , also took part in a few local amateur championships but then because of the lack of spare time I stopped.

Wow, that would niggle me forever.
You could have opened a judo club, become your own boss....you could have got into films, become the next Chuck Norris, the possibility's were endless...:D

Tony
07-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Wow, that would niggle me forever.
You could have opened a judo club, become your own boss....you could have got into films, become the next Chuck Norris, the possibility's were endless...:D
eheh :rolleyes:
I wasn't so special , there were a lot of guys stronger and more motivated than me , Italian judokas are well know internationally , we have a tradition in this martial art , both with males and females athletes.
And regard Norris ... well I can't stand him , I've seen him a couple of times beating up white nationalists , and he also represents the multiculturalist propaganda.:mad:

Germanicus
07-16-2009, 09:47 PM
eheh :rolleyes:
I wasn't so special , there were a lot of guys stronger and more motivated than me , Italian judokas are well know internationally , we have a tradition in this martial art , both with males and females athletes.
And regard Norris ... well I can't stand him , I've seen him a couple of times beating up white nationalists , and he also represents the multiculturalist propaganda.:mad:

Actually i have read his biography and he is one controlled individual.
His father made the family move around the States quite a few times when he was young following work, his father was a bullying alcoholic. Carlos was a
young man who reached the top of his martial art by hard work.
One of his students once asked him, "When we practise sparring i can usually beat you, but when we enter a competition against you we cannot, why is this?" He answered " when i am sparring i am instructing you, when i am in a competition i am not."

Tony
07-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Actually i have read his biography and he is one controlled individual.
His father made the family move around the States quite a few times when he was young following work, his father was a bullying alcoholic. Carlos was a
young man who reached the top of his martial art by hard work.
One of his students once asked him, "When we practise sparring i can usually beat you, but when we enter a competition against you we cannot, why is this?" He answered " when i am sparring i am instructing you, when i am in a competition i am not."
Oh oh there's must have been a misunderstanding , let me rephrase:
I've seen him a couple of times beating up white nationalists in some episodes of Walker Texas Ranger , not in reality.
:D

Germanicus
07-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Oh oh there's must have been a misunderstanding , let me rephrase:
I've seen him a couple of times beating up white nationalists in some episodes of Walker Texas Ranger , not in reality.
:D

This is true, i have never watched an episode..:D

He is best friends with George and George W Bush, because of his upbringing i thought he would have been a Democrat?

lei.talk
01-09-2011, 02:29 AM
i have received taunting e-mails
from the girl that operates/lives in my palaestra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palaestra)
regarding scarlett johansson (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5485) "going all tekken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tekken)" on the bad guys
and "throwing some muy rey misterio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rey_Mysterio,_Jr.) moves" in iron man 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man_2).

does any one have any video of those scenes?

i would like to know what she plans to do to me -
before going in to practice with her.

https://i.imgur.com/fr2HUEw.png (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS281US281&q=limalama)

Grumpy Cat
01-09-2011, 03:42 AM
Aikido.

Thinking of trying out Thai kickboxing.

blan
01-09-2011, 03:44 AM
Taekwondo .... and i can kick all your asses!! :mad:

Grumpy Cat
01-09-2011, 03:48 AM
Taekwondo .... and i can kick all your asses!! :mad:

At university we had a "fight club" (oops, I guess it's the rules not to talk about fight club) and I beat a person trained in Taekwondo.

Mind you, we weren't huring eachother, just sparring.

blan
01-09-2011, 04:20 AM
At university we had a "fight club" (oops, I guess it's the rules not to talk about fight club) and I beat a person trained in Taekwondo.

Mind you, we weren't huring eachother, just sparring.

is this your way of asking me for a challenge??!!! :mad:

Fortis in Arduis
01-09-2011, 05:32 AM
I studied Iyengar and Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga in my early 20s, and I retain a cursory interest today.

These forms are analogous to the eugenicist European physical culture movements of the 20th C., but also share the same root as the eastern martial arts, via Bodhidharma.

Yoga is not a martial art, but there are some shared origins, and the (recent) development of Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga was influenced by the training techniques of the British Army in Mysore, as well as European gymnastics.

The Journeyman
01-09-2011, 06:00 AM
I took up Karate and Judo when I was younger. I've been boxing for the past 2 years, haven't started competing yet.

Sabinae
01-09-2011, 07:37 AM
I began taking judo classes...when i realized its not for me, i didnt have the strength, so i dropped them. i guess,...maybe someday, someone will be there to protect me, in case i wont be able to :)

Lábaru
01-09-2011, 08:33 AM
18 years of Choy Lee Fut Kung Fu.

_YcGUhbKbn8

Lábaru
01-09-2011, 10:26 AM
I began taking judo classes...when i realized its not for me, i didnt have the strength, so i dropped them. i guess,...maybe someday, someone will be there to protect me, in case i wont be able to :)

I offer myself for the job:)

Psychonaut
01-09-2011, 11:44 AM
does any one have any video of those scenes?

Here's a mash up of most of her fight scenes:

IzO9nPS3_4A

Sturmgewehr
01-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Kick Boxing a bit.

I am planning when I move to a bigger city to start training Kick Boxing and Boxing in the same time.

antonio
01-09-2011, 02:43 PM
As a child of the merry seventies, I practiced tae-kwon-do with actual Korea masters. Unfortunatelly I never achieved the level (just yellow-orange belt) to get out there to kick some asses, so I early turned my interest on sports (first soccer football, then road ciclism, running and finally chess) more adapted to my (former) Ethiopian-like condition. But, that's life!

Don Brick
01-09-2011, 02:54 PM
I did Judo for a few years as a kid.

The Ripper
01-09-2011, 03:02 PM
I started with kickboxing when I was 14, practiced that for a little over a year and then switched to Muay Thai. I became pretty passionate with the sport and was going to start competing but that was interrupted by a series of unfortunate injuries not related to Muay Thai (I injured my ankle twice in quick succession when skateboarding). I had a break from training for over half a year. I picked it up again but I never managed to work myself into the same shape and motivation. I haven't practiced at a gym for a couple of years now but I still sometimes spar with a couple of friends who are also martial arts enthusiasts. I also have a garage where I have a couple of bags, sparring equipment and my very own tatami. :)

I hope to be able to go to Thailand for a couple of months to train at some point.

Piparskeggr
01-09-2011, 03:22 PM
On through my life: old fashioned "catch as catch can" wrestling, English-style stick fighting, Greco-Roman wrestling, boxing, fencing (foil, epee and saber), hapkido, tae kwan do, archery (target and hunting), firearms (muzzle loading and modern) marksmanship (target, hunting and military), knifework, military close quarters hand fighting...even historical re-enactment full contract "sword and shield" combatives.

Fellow at work noticed the way I was carrying a pry bar the other day, said I was gripping it like I had a sword in my hand...muscles remember.

Lots of things in life we learn can be used in a martial manner, artfully. :D

Querubín
01-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Judo, capoeira, hapkido and bazilian jiu-jitsu

Lábaru
01-09-2011, 03:35 PM
English-style stick fighting

This?

ZGiTAtJI_uU

Is great.

Piparskeggr
01-09-2011, 03:37 PM
This?

{snip video}]

Similar, but much more country style.

Some folks in our group fought with quarterstaves, I preferred short sticks like in the video. It was a sort of fencing, one could say.

My favorite short staff was made of seasoned white oak.

Lábaru
01-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Similar, but much more country style.

Some folks in our group fought with quarterstaves, I preferred short sticks like in the video. It was a sort of fencing, one could say.

My favorite short staff was made of seasoned white oak.

It is a very good adaptation of oriental fighting techniques, Westernized, I can recognize all the moves attack/defence, the detail of blind your oponent with the hat is great.

Piparskeggr
01-09-2011, 05:57 PM
It is a very good adaptation of oriental fighting techniques, Westernized, I can recognize all the moves attack/defence, the detail of blind your oponent with the hat is great.

What we were doing was more in line with local tradition being handed down. My area of western Massachusetts was (and is to large extent) still fairly rural where the old colonial era skills (like the stick and stave fighting, rough and tumble wrestling) are still handed down amongst boys' culture.

Foxy
01-12-2011, 03:34 PM
I have practised but only for a short period kyokushin khan (karate full contact). I am not saying that I am good but I think that technically I'd be able to kick someone in the balls.

Peerkons
01-12-2011, 03:49 PM
I did mixed army system fighting.
I quit cause was getting my ass kicked too much xD
here is demonstration of it
5WjwAv_u0zc

Vasconcelos
01-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Practiced judo for like 10 years, I was close to getting my black belt, but I decided to quit because I lost interest in the competition factor.

thetank
04-12-2011, 08:15 PM
im into jiu jitsu and other mma types of fighting

Aske
05-01-2011, 06:25 PM
semper fu :D

Barreldriver
05-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Recently I've been training in a variant of Shotokan and Japanese Jujutsu, haven't trained in the "dojo" since November since the university disbanded the club we made which got us discounted rates, can't afford the full price monthly rates so I'm left to refresh what I had learned in the past two years on my own till I start Army ROTC this August so I'll be learning the Army hand to hand combat at that time.

Winterwolf
05-01-2011, 10:35 PM
I have practised but only for a short period kyokushin khan (karate full contact). I am not saying that I am good but I think that technically I'd be able to kick someone in the balls.

Nice, I've done Shodokan Karate myself for some time. Wasn't bad, but not that usefull, when really in a pinch.

Looking for something new right now, if I only had more time... :(

Krav Maga seems to be the best afaik concerning street fights.

Not that I like to fight or provoke it, really not, but if attacked and that seems to happen more and more often thanks to immigration, it's good to be able to defend yourself or at least to sell your skin as dearly as possible.

askra
05-01-2011, 10:39 PM
i have practised fencing for a brief period a lot of years ago :cool:

Barreldriver
05-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Nice, I've done Shodokan Karate myself for some time. Wasn't bad, but not that usefull, when really in a pinch.

The one thing I literally hate about Shotokan is the very wide stances that are employed in Kihon and Kata, great for training muscles but not so good when folks don't seem to realize that Kihon and Kata is not Kumite, part of why sparring was a joke because many would act as if they're stuck in a Kata while I would posture more like an MMA fighter for striking and Sugarfoot for Jujutsu.

Gaztelu
05-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Shito-Ryu Karate and Jiu-Jitsu

Bloodeagle
05-02-2011, 02:33 AM
Recently I've been training in a variant of Shotokan and Japanese Jujutsu, haven't trained in the "dojo" since November since the university disbanded the club we made which got us discounted rates, can't afford the full price monthly rates so I'm left to refresh what I had learned in the past two years on my own till I start Army ROTC this August so I'll be learning the Army hand to hand combat at that time.

Back when I was involved in Gōjū-ryū (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C5%8Dj%C5%AB-ry%C5%AB) Karate-Do, our Sensei would make sure that we were aware of the importance of beating Shotokan competitors during regional karate championships. Their karate symbol is the tiger-(brutal force) and ours was the cat- (stealth and intelligence). He had a real problem with Shotokan's hard blocking style and would encourage us to strike their blocks in the hopes of breaking an arm or a leg. :D

Curtis24
05-02-2011, 02:38 AM
Always wanted to, but don't really have the time or money.

Susi
05-02-2011, 02:39 AM
Classic boxing, a little bit of American kickboxing and some Muay Thai. I've also done a little MMA stuff but I effing hate grappling. Passionately.

My favourite is probably classic boxing. Except for the lack of elbows. I love elbows.

Barreldriver
05-02-2011, 02:43 AM
Back when I was involved in Gōjū-ryū (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C5%8Dj%C5%AB-ry%C5%AB) Karate-Do, our Sensei would make sure that we were aware of the importance of beating Shotokan competitors during regional karate championships. Their karate symbol is the tiger-(brutal force) and ours was the cat- (stealth and intelligence). He had a real problem with Shotokan's hard blocking style and would encourage us to strike their blocks in the hopes of breaking an arm or a leg. :D

Is it me or is Shotokan similar to the Hung Kuen?

Was watching some Hung Kuen fighters and their stance work and tiger claw and such is very similar to what is done in Shotokan.

The one thing I did like about Shotokan is the blocking, was very comfortable for me.

Rachel
07-05-2011, 05:00 PM
I took Krav Maga for a while but i couldnt afford to continue to take the courses, currently i am thinking about taking aikido in Baltimore: http://baltimoreaikido.com/ its much closer and wont cost nearly as much to get to classes. But i have to see if i can afford the $75 a month.

Edit: i am way nervous to walk in.

The Ripper
07-05-2011, 06:19 PM
I love elbows.

I dig your style.

Sj8nmn3eT5I

Aces High
07-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Only Ludo,which is London streetfighting that incorporates fists,boots,tree saplings,car ariels dirty tricks and anything else that an be picked up and used from skips or gardens.
Its a sort of inovative improvisation martial art known only to London inhabitants with the secrets being passed on from generation to generation.

A bit of windmilling comes in usefull too.;)

GWLYmOorUho

Raikaswinþs
07-05-2011, 06:48 PM
I am a black belt in Judo, was junior champion (invantil, cadete y juvenil) in Burgos . Won the Regional Championship too with my school team in 1999 and ended up 4th in the national championships that sane year.

I stop practicing Judo in 2003, aged 19. Practiced it for 10 years prior to that, was part of my basic growing-up education

Mordid
07-05-2011, 07:11 PM
No, but I'd like to try one.

asdads
07-06-2011, 12:54 AM
yes, taekwondo

Rochefaton
07-06-2011, 01:05 AM
I began training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at age 17 and trained in the art for six solid years. I then trained a few times a month for 3 more years, but never made it beyond a purple belt.

I trained in boxing and MMA for around two years too, but gave it all up after getting married. The wife said combat sports were killing my looks.

Smaland
07-06-2011, 01:32 AM
Currently taking a class in T'ai Chi & QiGong.