PDA

View Full Version : Headscarf for women

Talvi
10-31-2012, 11:20 AM
I just read online that
The Islamic headscarf is banned in state offices, schools and universities, but is still worn by more than 20% of Turkish women.

Is that true? Do girls start wearing them after graduating from high school?? I remember seeing some girls wearing headscarves in university.... so it must not be true? Unless this rule applies to teachers not students..

Osprey
10-31-2012, 11:22 AM
I knew it, just knew this was gonna happen.....

Talvi
10-31-2012, 11:25 AM
I knew it, just knew this was gonna happen.....

That the Turkish government will ban the muslim headscarf in governmental institutions?

Gustavsson
10-31-2012, 11:31 AM
I try to have a generosity to some customs of other countries, but the scarf of Muslims, this case I will never like this.....

Su
10-31-2012, 11:35 AM
I try to have a generosity to some customs of other countries, but the scarf of Muslims, this case I will never like this.....

She's talking about headscarf wearing ladies in Turkey.

Mary
10-31-2012, 11:42 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headscarf_controversy_in_Turkey

Hayalet
10-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Unless this rule applies to teachers not students..
It applies to both. The AKP government tried to revoke the ban on students a few years ago; they failed, but the ban was loosened by some minor regulations.

Talvi
10-31-2012, 11:46 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headscarf_controversy_in_Turkey

The headscarf ban in public spaces, including schools and universities (public and private), courts of law, government offices and other official institutions, is only for students, workers and public servants.

Yet I am pretty sure there are many who study in universities and wear a headscarf, but according to this its actually banned?

Onur
10-31-2012, 11:49 AM
That the Turkish government will ban the muslim headscarf in governmental institutions?
Talvi, Mary posted the wiki article above. It looks quite objective and true. You can read that one.

And yes, headscarves as well as any religious objects are banned in all institution in Turkey since 1920s. That includes giant crosses, jewish caps and everything. You can wear a cross or a headscarf in the streets, in your private life but you cannot serve people as a doctor, teacher with that because this is against our secular laws.

Our current government tries to lift that ban for the last 6-7 years but they managed to lift the ban only in the universities since September 2010, as the wiki article mentions. But only for the students in universities, not for teachers, professors, officials.

Pecheneg
10-31-2012, 11:52 AM
The Islamic headscarf is banned in state offices, schools and universities, but is still worn by more than 20% of Turkish women.
It's free to wear the headscarf in universities as far as i know. (at least it's free in my university)

Is that true? Do girls start wearing them after graduating from high school??
Some of them. (i would say less than 20% - based on my current university experience)

Kemalisté
10-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Well, the law currently applies to the compulsory schools prior university both for students and the teachers, the government institutions and the parliament.

As for universities, yes there is no ban for students anymore, but still applies to the teachers. I also think that this ban was too far. The current situation is what it should be.

ficuscarica
10-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Erdogan will soon enough make it a law to wear one.

Methmatician
10-31-2012, 02:26 PM

Whoa, he allowed uni students to wear a headscarf :eek: This is exactly how Hitler consolidated power :rolleyes:

Kemalisté
10-31-2012, 02:26 PM

How soon ? he's been in power for 10 years. Typical paranoid westerners.