PDA

View Full Version : Are We Getting Softer?

Oresai
12-01-2008, 05:07 PM
This is a Yahoo news story for snow coming next week to Britain.
`An inch` of snow...and the country shuts down..rather like the `wrong type of leaves on the track` with trains, you know? Tsk...
At the risk of sounding like your average grumpy auld woman, when I was growing up in the Highlands of Scotland, feet of snow was expected, and regular, throughout the winter months. And yes, occassionally we got snowed in..but for the most part, we didn`t have heart attacks worrying over it, life carried on, if we couldn`t use our cars we used our feet, it was no major biggie, snow....:wink
Now, with climate change, we`re lucky if we get a whole week of snow each winter, and that, only a few inches :(
Yet Brits moan and wail, schools all over the place shut down, roads block, and you`d think it was the worst kind of hardship, to suffer a dusting of snow.
Pretty sad, in my opinion. I long for the return of real, deep, thick snow, igloo-building snow, snowman building snow, skiing snow!
And of when Brits were hardier folks who got on with life instead of needing counselling at a dusting of snow....:rolleyes:

Britain braced for snow showers
1 hour 10 mins ago

A band of wintry showers have been forecast to hit the country on Tuesday, meteorologists have said.
The snow showers are expected to begin in Scotland and the north of England early on, before working their way towards the south of England.

About an inch of snow is expected in the north of England, with sleet and rain more likely in the south.

Temperatures in London will reach a maximum of 6C, with a maximum of 4C in the north of the country.

The weather will remain cold for the next few days. Wednesday will see maximum temperatures of 7C in the south of England and a maximum of 4C in the north.

A band of rain is expected to move in from the south west of England early on Wednesday morning, with the chance of snow showers over higher land. The rest of the country should remain dry.

More snow is forecast coming in from the west early on Thursday morning. The north of the country can expect most of the snow, but temperatures should rise as the day goes on and the snow could turn into sleet or rain.