PDA

View Full Version : To what degree do teachers influence academic achievement?

Kazimiera
10-31-2012, 10:47 PM
I feel that a lot of students under-perform due to the lack of good quality teachers.

I think that even the most intelligent student can fail miserably at a subject because they were taught the wrong way, by a teacher who is bad at teaching a subject.

I thought of this because I went through some old school reports of mine. At one stage I got 43% for biology. The following year we got another teacher and my marks went up by 30%. This is because the second teacher was better, in my opinon.

I went to go study in a field where biology was one of my main subjects and I excelled.

It makes me wonder whether I had a different teacher I might have achieved more than a miserable 35% at Maths. I don't know what would have happened the following year because I was urged by the school never to take Maths again. I didn't like the teacher much and the class average wasn't very high. The students which continued to take Maths at a higher level and with a different teacher did very well, and the class average also improved by at least 15-20%.