PDA

View Full Version : Bill Maher: Obama needs to be more like Bush

Útrám
07-14-2009, 02:35 PM
He makes some legitimate points.

HWulnfog20c

Jägerstaffel
07-18-2009, 09:55 PM
I'd love it if Obama came out one day and said "Jesus told me to fix health care!"

:)

Æmeric
07-18-2009, 11:22 PM
I think you mean Allah.;)

Jägerstaffel
07-19-2009, 12:10 AM
Actually, I don't think Obama is a muslim because he has a muslim name.
He says he is a Christian, but I think he's a secularist.

I have a biblical name but does that make me Christian?

Æmeric
07-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Biblical or saint names are mainstream in America & do not necessarily reflect membership in a Christian sect. Muslim names are unusual in America & generally reflect an affiliation with Islam. How many non-Muslims name their children Mohammad or Fatima vs. Joshua & Rachel? Besides, Obama attended a Muslim school as a child. And his father & stepfather were Muslims.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/02_04/BaracKOsamaAP_468x789.jpg

Jägerstaffel
07-19-2009, 02:53 PM
I attended bible school as a kid and my family is Protestant but that doesn't make me Christian.

I think he's a secularist.

That picture doesn't prove anything; he's obviously in another country just wearing the garb of that country to respect it.

Don't get me wrong Æmeric. I'm not a fan of Obama (or any politician for that matter) but I think we could go after the real issues - not the gossip that he's some hidden Muslim (if he is, how come we never see him doing his daily prayers? The guy's on TV all day long every day practically.)

Æmeric
07-19-2009, 02:57 PM
He need not be a fundamentalist Muslim. Maybe he is just an agnostic Muslim - one who is sympathetic to Muslim traditions without fully subscribing to Muslim theology.

Jägerstaffel
07-19-2009, 03:06 PM
:shrug:

I don't see any reason to assume so though.

Just because the republicans like to try to stick that label to him to give middle America a reason to distrust him doesn't qualify as a good enough reason for me.

I think he's a globalist secularist trying to appeal to everyone (he even mentioned Americans of 'no faith' during a speech) and there are plenty of reasons that could be bad for the preservationists. Those would be the reasons I would think we'd be attacking him.

I'm not defending him, though. I just don't subscribe to that particular notion.

Besides, he's obviously not THAT sympathetic to muslims because he sure isn't changing the way we kiss up to Israel.

Æmeric
07-19-2009, 03:16 PM
He has to step carefully around the Israeli issue - Jewish money played a big part in getting him into office. And Rahm Emmanuel is the Chief of Staff.

Speaking of Jews - even though many of them are not religious they still have a Jewish identity. I think it is the same with secular Muslims. Saddam Hussein was a secular Muslim.

Birka
07-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Actually, I don't think Obama is a muslim because he has a muslim name.
He says he is a Christian, but I think he's a secularist.

I have a biblical name but does that make me Christian?

He also says that he was born in the US. But whenever anyone challenged his birth country, he sued in court instead of producing the US birth certificate.

Jägerstaffel
07-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Sorry, I just don't buy into it.

Republican scare tactics.

There are legitimate reasons to dislike Obama and his policies, rather than flogging this dead horse.