PDA

View Full Version : Benefit cheat claimed for mum living 5,000 miles away

Treffie
07-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Lol at the comments:D

------------------------------

Wednesday, July 15, 2009, 08:00

A BENEFIT fraudster claimed more than £92,000 for caring for his mum despite the fact that she was living thousands of miles away in Bangladesh.

Sentence was adjourned at Swansea Crown Court yesterday but Mohammed Rashid was warned he could be facing a jail term.

The 49-year-old, of Gwydr Crescent, Uplands, admitted five specimen charges and asked for a series of other, similar offences to be taken into account by the sentencing judge.

Rashid pleaded guilty to obtaining money transfers in relation to carer's allowance from the Department for Work and Pensions between February 2001 and December 2001 by deception in that he failed to disclose that his mother was not living in the UK during that period.

His mum, Mrs Tasbir Begun Latif, was living with relatives in Asia for periods of up to 11 months.

Prosecutor Carl Harrison told Judge Huw Davies QC that the total overpayment in benefits between 2001 and 2007 amounted to £92,847.

The judge adjourned all matters to August 14 to allow for the preparation of a pre-sentence report.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Benefit-cheat-claimed-mum-living-5-000-miles-away/article-1165973-detail/article.html

Beorn
07-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Hahahahahaha!!!!

I know this man very well. ;) He was unaware of notifying, he claimed for the best of his blind mother. He only received the money on her behalf because he thought she was eligible for it. His mother is UK resident and had gone to Bangladesh to spend time wih her other children and medical care. This accusation of benefit fraud is only because he had failed to notify. He was an authorised appointee for his blind mum.

Well done Tina. :propeller:

I'm going to watch this outcome as much as possible, because if he gets of scot-free...I'll go mad and write a strongly worded letter to my local council.