PDA

View Full Version : Romania: 33 bankers and officials detained

The Lawspeaker
11-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Romania: 33 bankers and officials detained

BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) — Prosecutors on Friday detained 33 government officials and bankers on suspicion of money laundering and fraud that cost Romania €22 million ($28.5 million).

The detainees included three Economy Ministry officials, the deputy chairman of the French-owned Romanian Development Bank, and the chairman of a state fund that offers banks guarantees in exchange for business loans.
The officials have been suspended, pending an inquiry, and prosecutors have asked the Bucharest Court to rule later Friday that 32 of the detainees be held under arrest for one month.

On Thursday, prosecutors raided about 50 homes and offices in Bucharest, Giurgiu and Calarasi in the case and questioned about 100 people.

Anti-organized crime prosecutors say that from 2010 to 2012, two people organized a scam that involved bank employees. They allegedly managed to fraudulently obtain 40 bank loans for fictitious businesses from 16 branches of the Romanian Development Bank and Romania's state-owned CEC savings bank that were underwritten by the state fund for small- and medium-sized businesses.

Hungarian bank OTP; the Turkish banks Eximbank and Garanti Bank; Austria's Raiffeisen Bank; Greece's Piraeus Bank, and Millennium Bank from Portugal also were targeted by the scam, but it was not clear whether they gave out loans.

Corruption is widespread in Romania, one of the poorest countries in the European Union. In recent days, authorities began to prosecute state railway employees who routinely pocketed money from fare dodgers without issuing tickets.

Source: Associated Press (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hJ6c4TuGAy2mgiboc5rSGfPLeZCw?docId=1372f0a3e 1ed42b3a4eae60fcdb2cb22) (2 November 2012)

arcticwolf
11-04-2012, 04:18 PM
I don't believe it! Politicians and banksters are not ethically pure??? What's next, movie stars don't know shit about anything? :laugh:

Crooks want power, it allows them to change the laws to commit crimes with impunity. That bunch got caught before they made it safe to embazzle. Don't worry the other crooks are taking notes, expect some legislation soon to make it very hard to convict them! :D

Dacul
11-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Tuan Romania is not one of the poorest countries from UE,is most poorest country from UE.

The Lawspeaker
11-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Tuan Romania is not one of the poorest countries from UE,is most poorest country from UE.

I know that. And that's why I am very happy that they detain 33 thieves.

Dacul
11-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Well if they will arrest all politicians who steal a lot I am afraid that our Parliament will loose at least 90% of members!
:rofl:

The Lawspeaker
11-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Well if they will arrest all politicians who steal a lot I am afraid that our Parliament will loose at least 90% of members!
:rofl:
Ah well.. even better: then new elections can be held. :thumb001:

Pobre Diablo
11-17-2012, 12:53 PM

I'm pretty sure Bulgaria is poorer.

That's like the only thing we romanians can take solace in, at least we're not as bad as our neighbors, for example

- At least we're not as poor as Bulgarians
- At least we're not fascists like Hungarians
- At least we're not crazy genociders like the Serbs
- At least we're not savages living in the mud like Ukrainians
- No need to say anything about Moldova :D

That's pretty much the only comfort I have, that it could be even worse...

Incal
11-17-2012, 03:44 PM

I always thought Romania was slightly better than Bulgaria. But seems what you are saying is true. Related article:

http://www.presseurop.eu/en/content/news-brief/2628521-bulgaria-could-overtake-romania

http://euobserver.com/justice/116941

Anusiya
11-17-2012, 03:47 PM
At least in Romania they detain them. Here is considered noble.