PDA

View Full Version : Nudity does us all good

Creeping Death
07-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Nudity does us all good (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/jemima-lewis/5803810/Nudity-does-us-all-good.html)

Going naked in front of your offspring is one of the duties of parenthood. Studies show – and common sense suggests – that children from households where nudity is commonplace grow up to feel more comfortable in their own skin. We need the background scenery of other people's bodies – dumpy, scrawny, dimpled or lean – in order to be reassured that our own peculiarities are normal.

Here is why I question the intellects behind such studies, just walk to the nearest high school and ask the students how many of them would be grossed out by having their parents parade around the house in front of them naked.

Beorn
07-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Especially now, when most public images of the human form are airbrushed into a preposterous lie, children ought to know what actual people look like under their clothes.

What do they expect people to look like? Don't children look at themselves in the mirror anymore? Sneak a peak in the communal showers?

Life classes, like naked parents, are a no-strings-attached opportunity to see what other people are really made of.

No it isn't. It's a prime example of the sexually perverted liberal BS which is subverting the minds of each new generation.

The programme was silly anyway. I turned over one day to be faced by a black cock. I thought I'd gone to jail.

Amarantine
07-16-2009, 10:18 AM
hahaha this is silly, the kids know how nude body looks like, of course depending from their age. They don't need naked parents walking around...this is some "backing to nature method" or what...Btw, it's up to parents to teach them what is normal body appereance and what is Photoshop, but kids are clever they will learn very fast that.

Inese
07-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Hm it would be very embarassing for me to see my parents run around naked!! :rolleyes2: I know how they look but doing it purposly is often not a show of good manners. I dont like it when my parents can see me naked , too!! It was no problem when i was a little smaller but now it is different ----i have no reasons but i dont like it and feel uncomfortable. And i think my parents dont like it if i see them naked the same way!

Octothorpe
07-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Heck, I've been wandering around starkers in the house for years! I'd rather not wear clothes, if given the chance. Doesn't seem to have bothered the kids. The pet turtle, however, seems terrified. :rolleyes2:

Tolleson
07-17-2009, 02:59 AM
The pet turtle, however, seems terrified. :rolleyes2:

I bet you it is one of those snapper turtles. :D

Lady L
07-18-2009, 03:59 AM
My kids always follow me into the bathroom :D but I don't go out of my way to be naked around them. I think there are other ways to have a comfortable relationship with your children without being slap naked with them! :tongue There are also better ways to make them comfortable with themselves and proud of who they are. I just couldn't walk around without clothes all the time, its weird. I have recently found that sleeping naked is most wonderful :) Take my advise ladies, its awesome :D

Sarmata
07-18-2009, 04:45 AM
Here is why I question the intellects behind such studies, just walk to the nearest high school and ask the students how many of them would be grossed out by having their parents parade around the house in front of them naked.

It's rather rhetorical question...You may ask another: how many they paid for such "studies" and who pays for it. Unfortunatelly when I read news I often meet some similar nonsences, for instance:"Did ducks like wather". Such "studies" are prove how science is falling.

Sally
07-18-2009, 05:54 AM
I have recently found that sleeping naked is most wonderful :) Take my advise ladies, its awesome :D

I don't think I could sleep naked, because the mosquitoes savage me enough fully clothed. :eek:

Luckily for me, I have beta thalassemia, which supposedly affords protection against malaria. Fortunately, there hasn't been a malaria endemic in Finland in a long time. Take that, mosquitoes! :D

Tabiti
07-18-2009, 08:06 AM
I knew one girl which parents practiced nudity. Well, she is a prostitute now and by her own will. Her brother is a lover of quite older lady (over 20 years difference).
Nudity is something natural we should not be ashamed, but everything has its limits, especially when it goes for upbringing.
Myself, I don't feel quite good when naked. Not that I don't like my body, but it is just weird. The only person I can go around naked freely is my man, not even my own mother.

Treffie
07-18-2009, 10:39 AM
I don't think I could sleep naked, because the mosquitoes savage me enough fully clothed. :eek:

Luckily for me, I have beta thalassemia, which supposedly affords protection against malaria. Fortunately, there hasn't been a malaria endemic in Finland in a long time. Take that, mosquitoes! :D

Did you know that mosquitoes prefer blondes? :)

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/WolfFiles/story?id=93041&page=1

Inese
07-18-2009, 12:11 PM
I have recently found that sleeping naked is most wonderful :) Take my advise ladies, its awesome :D
I try it in hot summer nights sometimes but the rubbing is uncomfortable!! And it is not very hygienic --- think what can happen when you have the period. :rolleyes2: Bad awakening in the morning , and sweat on the bedsheet it not nice also.

I sleep with a large old T-Shirt and a slip. It has a other benefit: When i have to go to toilet in the nights i can not have a embarasing crash with other people in the corridor or bathroom.:rolleyes:

Skandi
07-18-2009, 03:19 PM
I always sleep naked I dislike tying myself in knots with clothes, @inese There are obvious exceptions! and the boy gets himself all excited when the underwear vanishes at night. :angel:

Inese
07-19-2009, 12:04 AM
I always sleep naked I dislike tying myself in knots with clothes, @inese There are obvious exceptions! and the boy gets himself all excited when the underwear vanishes at night. :angel:
Why tying?? :confused: I wide T-Shirt cant knot.

And the boys. Yes you can get naked and after-wards you shower and can jump into the sleeping slip and shirt again! Where is the problem?? I make it like that! But if you like it naked regardles of sweating , discharge or during the period then okay everyone has other sleeping preferences!! :cool: I have the feeling that it is unhygienic to sleep naked and i would switch the bedsheet very often.

Skandi
07-19-2009, 12:10 AM
Each to their own, I can tie anything around me in my sleep including the duvet and certainly a teeshirt! I also find that I get too hot if I wear anything else. The boy has to put up with whatever I decide anyway :)

Beorn
07-19-2009, 12:33 AM
I can tie anything around me in my sleep including the duvet and certainly a teeshirt! I also find that I get too hot if I wear anything else.

I sleep naked and love it. Whenever the doorbell goes in the morning, I boot the missus in the arse and tell her she's already dressed so she may as well get up. :thumb001:

Skandi
07-19-2009, 12:38 AM
I do that to him anyway, he has less to cover!

Beorn
07-19-2009, 12:42 AM
...he has less to cover!

*sniffs nonchalantly into the middle distance*

I don't suffer that problem I'm afraid.

Skandi
07-19-2009, 12:43 AM
what, you have breasts???

Beorn
07-19-2009, 12:47 AM
what, you have breasts???

Thyroid problems. :( It does have it compensations elsewhere, mind! ;)

Lady L
07-19-2009, 12:49 AM
And the boys. Yes you can get naked and after-wards you shower and can jump into the sleeping slip and shirt again! Where is the problem?? I make it like that! But if you like it naked regardles of sweating , discharge or during the period then okay everyone has other sleeping preferences!! :cool: I have the feeling that it is unhygienic to sleep naked and i would switch the bedsheet very often.

I wouldn't sleep naked at the time of month, and I never start in my sleep so no worries for me :cool::D I also don't sweat or discharge in my sleep either :p:D

Unhygienic - probably not, but we could research it!:D

Kempenzoon
07-19-2009, 12:57 AM
I usually sleep naked, or at least near naked. At the most I wear boxer-briefs.

And if the doorbell goes off while I'm sleeping, well, tough luck on whoever rang. I'm not taking the time to dress, so they usually leave the premises with PTSD. :p

edit: And yeah, I do change my bedcovers and sheets very often. even if I were to dress up while sleeping, I find it unhygienic already to use the same bedcovers for more than about half a week.

Jägerstaffel
07-19-2009, 04:54 AM
I sleep naked and it's not unhygienic because I freaking bathe regularly!

Beorn
07-19-2009, 04:58 AM
EDIT: Far too rude to say. I can just hear the purists talking now.

Loki
07-19-2009, 09:14 AM
I usually sleep naked, except in the winter, when I will wear something to keep me warm, like a t-shirt and under pants. I can get very warm at night though, even in winter.

Men seem to be more warm than women (in my experience). They need us to keep them warm in bed. When I sleep with a woman I will always be naked, since the extra body's heat would make it intolerable for me to have clothes on as well.

Sometimes the fabric of the bedsheets irritate my bum, which is sensitive. Then I would put on underwear to alleviate that.

Inese
07-19-2009, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't sleep naked at the time of month, and I never start in my sleep so no worries for me :cool::D I also don't sweat or discharge in my sleep either :p:D
How can you never sweat?? :confused: You are in south USA and there are very warm summers!! Or do you have a air condition machine in the room?? It is not normal in Europe to have it. And hm discharge----you know, it comes sometimes unconsious or with a illness or some hours after sleeping with a friend! :rolleyes: But good if it works for you be glad that you dont have the problems!!
I want to use my bedsheet for 2 to 3 weeks and that is why i wear a slip and a t-shirt. For cold winter nights i have a pyjama.

I sleep naked and it's not unhygienic because I freaking bathe regularly!
It has nothing to do with bathing or showering , it has to do with normal body evaparations.

EDIT: Far too rude to say. I can just hear the purists talking now.
You was talking against me again!?? :rolleyes2:

lei.talk
07-19-2009, 11:54 AM
the grrrlz and i wrestle around (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?p=640116#post640116)
far too much
to leave the same sheets on our bed
for more than two days.

a daily change is more likely
because they are messing up the bed
even when i am not there.

Rainraven
07-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Perhaps we should change the name of this thread to "What do you wear to bed?" :p

I think most children are much less worried about being naked then adults. As we get older we become more self-conscious, then as we adjust to the changes we once again become comfortable in our nakedness. There will always be a period from about 7 - 17 when the body is changing that children/teenagers will be wondering if they are normal and worrying about their appearance. This is a normal part of growing up and I seriously doubt being exposed to nakedness as a child will do anything to alleviate this. It seems more important to have an open and trusting relationship between parents and children whereby they can discuss any concerns they have. If that can be gained by going on holiday to a nudist beach then so be it :D

Oh and for all you that wanted to know, I sleep naked and change my sheets once a week ;) Even in winter I just turn my electric blanket up higher :p

Svarog
07-19-2009, 01:58 PM
It is unhygienic if you sleep in a dumpster, otherwise, i don't see why would it be unhygienic really?! Yeah, I sleep naked and am naked all the time now, it's too damn hot, my ex would always sleep naked even when it is freezing outside, it have nothing to do with me as we did not live together, I also don't have a problem to be fully naked in front of other people nor I will stare as a mule in a fully naked girl, but am definitely not feeling comfortable walking around children naked, nope, only the thought of it creeps me out.

Jägerstaffel
07-19-2009, 02:40 PM
It has nothing to do with bathing or showering , it has to do with normal body evaparations.

I sleep with an air conditioning unit in my room - who could sleep when you're hot and sweating anyways? I cannot comfortably sleep unless it feels like winter in my bedroom.

As for the original subject and being nude around your family; if that's your thing I guess. I think it would embarrass the hell out of your kids though.

Äike
07-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Did you know that mosquitoes prefer blondes? :)

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/WolfFiles/story?id=93041&page=1

Professor Andrew Spielman, co-author of Mosquito (Hyperion) and one of the world's foremost experts on mosquitoes and the diseases they carry, says blondes and redheads might be more attractive to skeeters, for the same reason they tend turn heads at cocktail parties. That is, they stand out in a crowd.

"Mosquitoes are attracted to contrasts," says Spielman. "If you have one blonde person with long hair wearing bright colors at a picnic held in the shade, where the other people are dark-haired, you know who is going to get the attention."

This theory doesn't work for me, as most of my friends are blond(I have no Russian friends) and same goes for my family. Then the theory would work the other way around, the dark haired would be targeted(?).

Now to the topic. Nudity isn't that bad, but people should wear clothes in public.

Will
07-19-2009, 03:15 PM
I just had a bad mental image after reading the first post. :p

Inese
07-19-2009, 03:32 PM
I sleep with an air conditioning unit in my room - who could sleep when you're hot and sweating anyways? I cannot comfortably sleep unless it feels like winter in my bedroom..
Hm people in Latvia and Germany have no air condition unit usually --- i know no one who has a condition machine in the bedroom or else where in the house or flat!! And the energy is expensive we cant aford it.
Problem is that my room is in the attic and it gets mugy in the summer! It is not possible to sleep without sweating and i dont want to change the bedsheet every day that is why i use a wide T-Shirt. Changing a sweated T-Shirt is no problem!! :wink

I use no bedcover on hot days but the t-shirt and panty stays on.

Lady L
07-19-2009, 05:00 PM
How can you never sweat?? :confused: You are in south USA and there are very warm summers!! Or do you have a air condition machine in the room??

Well, I wouldn't say I never sweat :p but in bed usually No, unless some hanky panky is going on! :D Yes we do have Air conditioning, a bran new unit actually, this cools the whole apt. It gets up to 100 degrees sometimes around here and people without A/C is almost unheard of. Even people will donate A/C units for poor families. Here, it is looked at as a horrible thing not to have A/C.

:)

Phlegethon
07-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Yeah, we know the part you play in the global warming problem.

sturmwalkure
07-19-2009, 05:48 PM
I've never considered it, but then again there's a very good air-conditioning unit in our house. It's a personal preference but I like sleeping in my PJs- heck I wear them all day at home except for when I go out somewhere. I pretty much live in them. :p

Phlegethon
07-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Lazy bum! ;)

Phlegethon
07-19-2009, 06:00 PM
By the way, I always sleep in a black three-piece suit and tie with an immaculate double Windsor knot. If I die in my sleep it is much less work for the undertaker.

Thorum
07-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Grew up with my Mum around the house naked. I suppose she felt most comfortable that way. She was naked when I was born too. ;) Big deal. I also took showers with Dad until I suppose 6 years old? He was more modest though and I don't remember him walking around the house naked.

I don't think twice running naked from the bedroom upstairs, down to the kitchen to get a drink or use the toilet. I don't sit around the house naked. My two daughters (2 and 3 years old) see me naked often (and my wife, their Mum) and we don't give it a second thought. The kids laugh a bit sometimes and reminds me I am not young anymore... :) When one starts to worry that a naked body is bad, unnatural, frowned on, then I will worry.

Piparskeggr
07-19-2009, 08:47 PM

My wife is still convinced that she is the result of a virgin birth ,-)

Smaland
07-20-2009, 12:28 AM
I shower naked, and I'm naked under my clothes all day. Makes me pretty daring, don't you think? ;):D

Piparskeggr
07-20-2009, 12:53 AM
I shower naked, and I'm naked under my clothes all day. Makes me pretty daring, don't you think? ;):D

But not unique :thumb001:

lei.talk
11-09-2009, 11:56 AM
I think most children are much less worried about being naked than adults.

It seems more important to have an open and trusting relationship between parents and children whereby they can discuss any concerns they have.that is, certainly, true of the girl-child:

as soon as she figured out how to
remove her filled diaper
and leave it on the toilet - she wore no thing

and has not since. my son was the same.

i saw no reason to dress
after my pre-sleep shower: why put on clothes
before climbing in to bed for love-making.

similarly, why dress after rising - i am going to exercise
and, then, shower before dressing and leaving
for my book-store.

now that i am, once again, a full-time parent
(and rarely leave the property) - i do not bother to dress.

happily, neither does my son's mother
or her girl-friend.

that level of visibility
does encourage good posture
and no adipose.

Matritensis
11-09-2009, 12:15 PM
In Finland it's very common that the whole family goes together to the sauna.They have a much more indifferent and natural approach to nudity,which is a good thing in my opinion.

Wölfin
11-09-2009, 01:25 PM
My mother never ran around naked but I'm used to seeing her as we live alone and thus if I need to use the washroom for whatever reason and she is stepping in or out of the shower or taking a bath. Seems like something normal to me. Now if she was parading around naked in the entire house that might be weird for me.

I would not want to see my Uncle, Grandma, Grandpa or Father naked though. That would traumatize me for life lol.

Basically I think it's only "healthy" or "effective" or whatever if the kids are being used to it from toddlerhood.

Or maybe it's just because I'm French :P

Black Turlogh
11-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Say what they might, that seems awfully strange and perverse to me. Kids can find confidence in other places; they don't need to see their father's ballsack or their mother's fanny to feel at ease about who they are. Twisted stuff.

Kazimiera
03-31-2013, 02:12 AM
---> moved to Psychology