PDA

View Full Version : Memory Training

Loki
07-18-2009, 11:08 AM
This course claims to give you near perfect memory after training 20 minutes a day, for two weeks.

http://www.firstclassmemory.com/index.html

The catch is that it costs £168.97. Well, if this really works then it would be a small price to pay.

lei.talk
07-18-2009, 02:31 PM
the lafax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lefax) from norman & hill (http://www.filofax.co.uk/)
is less expensive
and more effective than any "memory course".

most debaters, lecturers, teachers and students learn
there is no "trick" - only note-cards
and out-lines that organise essential information
for constant review.

in real life, my ability to discuss
nearly any topic
is dependent on my handling
of over five-hundred different magazines
every month in my book-store:

my brain sees all of the covers
and much of the content
as i flip through them.

the reverberation-effect
of all those facts and concepts
is refreshed with each exposure.

over-thinking diminishes the effects of rote-memorisation.

simply itemise the desired information
on cards
and organise those in to a tree-diagram
or flow-chart,

then, review as needed.

a simple truth and applicable:
that which is used - develops,
and that which is not used - wastes away
- Hippocrates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocrates)

Germanicus
07-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm i really do not need this course of memory training, for i have Mrs Germanicus, she reminds me of what i have forgotten with the aid of her super sharp elbow, for it has the power to bring to mind whatever she thinks i have forgotten, and it does'nt cost a penny...:D

Tabiti
07-18-2009, 08:03 PM
£168.97, no thanks, my memory is still working well.:cool:

Germanicus
07-18-2009, 08:31 PM
£168.97, no thanks, my memory is still working well.:cool:

Yes it works for now, lets see if you can say the same when you are my age..:D

Tabiti
07-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Yes it works for now, lets see if you can say the same when you are my age..:D
I hope to have more money to waste then;)

Beorn
07-18-2009, 08:36 PM

By that age you should be wise enough to know when money is well spent, and when someone is laughing all the way to the bank. :)

To be honest, Loki, I would save your money and your time on this. You are better off exercising your memory by keeping your mind occupied by simple and effective tasks like crosswords and other such activities.

Loki
07-18-2009, 08:42 PM
To be honest, Loki, I would save your money and your time on this. You are better off exercising your memory by keeping your mind occupied by simple and effective tasks like crosswords and other such activities.

I'm not considering purchasing this, I was merely curious whether it worked as they say. :) If one has such a perfect memory, it would greatly increase your earning potential, as well as improving your work performance ... and thus spending that amount of money would be a valid investment.

As for me, my memory used to be very good, but now out of practice. My first job was as a cashier at a company in SA after school. I quickly memorized all the account numbers of customers (hundreds of them, each with 8 digits), plus all product codes (also hundreds of them). I very rarely had to use the manuals, and my employers and customers were impressed.

When I was 7 years old I had (unintentionally) memorized all the countries in the world, plus their capital cities. I could draw the country borders fairly accurately as well. That was because my father had bought me an atlas for my birthday and I was fascinated by it. Needless to say, geography was always easy for me at school. ;)

Germanicus
07-18-2009, 08:44 PM

The way this credit crunch is going you may not have enough to buy it in your 50s..:(

Tabiti
07-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Just don't stop reading serious books (not newspapers) and continue thinking by your own and memory won't left you. Routine, media, everyday problems are the factors destroying your good mental health, especially in older age. Just use your own brain!