PDA

View Full Version : Portuguese in California

Atlantic Islander
11-10-2012, 02:13 AM
Oral history about the Portuguese in California.

This project records the stories of Portuguese immigrants and their descendants in the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond who represent various aspects of the history of this early immigrant group. Portuguese began arriving in California aboard American whaling ships—upon which many served—well before the Gold Rush. Although settling in urban areas as well, Portuguese have traditionally preferred to follow agricultural pursuits, where they have been especially active in the state’s dairy industry.

Link to Oral History website. (http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/ROHO/projects/portuguese/)

One of the videos:

4tBpa4YrSBA

5WOvrI2SXKU

bfB3aEkUWfQ

Gaijin
11-10-2012, 08:49 AM
There's a Youtube account (http://www.youtube.com/user/portugueseincali) regarding the Portuguese in California.

3EOcqqOuvkc

R86Gi_KspBk

American_Hispanist
06-03-2013, 05:39 PM
too bad a lot of those Portuguese people have left or integrated with the Anglos.

My hometown was a big center for Portuguese-Americans, and a lot of the housing architecture was very Portuguese influenced (other towns were named after Portuguese people, like San Lorenzo and San Leandro). Now, those towns are mostly Mexican.

Lusos
06-03-2013, 09:27 PM
" San Lorenzo and San Leandro"

Not much Portuguese there.

American_Hispanist
06-04-2013, 12:14 AM

they were mostly Portuguese towns, but yet again, the Spanish/Mexicans were here in the Bay Area before the Americans took over California.

HispaniaSagrada
06-04-2013, 12:40 AM

I don't know if those towns were named after Portuguese or not but the fact that they are in Castilian doesn't mean that they weren't. It wouldn't be the first time a place given a Portuguese name is said to be Spanish or translated to Spanish. Even people, if you're a Rodrigues and you come here you should expect most people are going to spell your name or say Rodriguez until they know better and even then it won't completely stop. You might even be asked "how is it possible since you don't look Mexican?" You will get junk mail asking you to join monthly music clubs where you can get 2 CDs a month for half price and get 10 free CDs right away if you join, all in Spanish, with Jennifer Lopez, Shakira and company as recommended choices. Less likely if you are a Pereira, Bettencourt, Almeida, etc. But if you are a Rodrigues, Fernandes, Lopes, Cruz, etc., forget about it - you will be asked if you want the premium Spanish channels on a no-contract special offer for this month only!!! I hope you like Univision and Telemundo! :rofl_002:

Atlantic Islander
06-04-2013, 02:34 AM

They didn't found the towns, they just set up communities when they immigrated.

American_Hispanist
06-04-2013, 02:36 AM
They didn't found the towns, they just set up communities when they immigrated.

the Portuguese set up a lot of community centers and their own unique celebrations, but those centers are now being used by Mexicans, since the Portuguese have anglofied.

Atlantic Islander
06-04-2013, 02:41 AM
the Portuguese set up a lot of community centers and their own unique celebrations, but those centers are now being used by Mexicans, since the Portuguese have anglofied.

They never stopped having the festas - those continue on in other towns, Portuguese are all over California. My grandparents went to a bullfight just last week.

American_Hispanist
06-04-2013, 02:44 AM
They never stopped having the festas - those continue on in other towns, Portuguese are all over California. My grandparents went to a bullfight just last week.

dam, i forgot about those bullfights. :lol:

but what I am saying is in their historic centers, like in the east bay of the bay area. I know they have a special type of bullfight near modesto, where like 4 guys get in front of a bull in a certain way.

Atlantic Islander
06-04-2013, 02:44 AM
There's a new documentary btw. I linked the preview over in this thread. (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?66504-New-Portuguese-in-California-Documentary)

Atlantic Islander
06-04-2013, 02:46 AM
dam, i forgot about those bullfights. :lol:

but what I am saying is in their historic centers, like in the east bay of the bay area. I know they have a special type of bullfight near modesto, where like 4 guys get in front of a bull in a certain way.

Yes, there are probably some of the older areas that are abandoned, but in other areas it's even stronger - the festas, bullfights, etc. continue on as always. :)

American_Hispanist
06-04-2013, 02:52 AM
interesting though, how they don't talk about Portuguese-Americans as much, when they played such big roles here in California.

American_Hispanist
06-04-2013, 02:56 AM
Yes, there are probably some of the older areas that are abandoned, but in other areas it's even stronger - the festas, bullfights, etc. continue on as always. :)

which part of California did your grandparents go to see those bullfights? I'm interested in going, since I haven't gone to some bullfights in a while and the ones Mexicans have here are full of drunkards.

Atlantic Islander
06-04-2013, 03:00 AM
interesting though, how they don't talk about Portuguese-Americans as much, when they played such big roles here in California.

Southern European contributions to the US are always swept under the rug.

Atlantic Islander
06-04-2013, 03:01 AM
which part of California did your grandparents go to see those bullfights? I'm interested in going, since I haven't gone to some bullfights in a while and the ones Mexicans have here are full of drunkards.

The valley.

American_Hispanist
06-04-2013, 03:03 AM
Southern European contributions to the US are always swept under the rug.

true. most people here don't even know that the first settlement or first thanksgiving here in the US was actually done by Iberians (Spaniards). xD

The valley.

but which city though

American_Hispanist
06-04-2013, 03:16 AM
oh, the fights aren't far from me, only a two hour drive. looks good the videos. reminds me of the ones back in Mexico. :)

HispaniaSagrada
06-04-2013, 11:45 PM
I know they have a special type of bullfight near modesto, where like 4 guys get in front of a bull in a certain way.

Os Forcados.

true. most people here don't even know that the first settlement or first thanksgiving here in the US was actually done by Iberians (Spaniards). xD

I didn't know that either. Thanks for the information.

American_Hispanist
06-04-2013, 11:55 PM
I didn't know that either. Thanks for the information.

yeah, those sorts of information are swept under the rug because it shows that Iberians did more things early on than the Anglos. xD Anglos are always jelly of the things Iberians/Iberio-Americans do. :lol: