PDA

View Full Version : Alba > Albion > Albany

Ćmeric
07-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Alba is the Scottish Gaelic name (pronounced [ˈaɫapə]) for Scotland. It is cognate to Albain in Irish Gaelic and Nalbin in Manx, the other Goidelic Insular Celtic language, as well as similar words in the Brythonic Insular Celtic languages of Cornish (Alban) and Welsh (Yr Alban) also meaning Scotland.

Hence also the early classical name Albion. It was used by the Gaels to refer to the island as a whole until roughly the ninth or tenth centuries, when it came to be the name given to the kingdoms of the Picts and the Scots (Pictavia and Dál Riata), north of the Firth of Forth and the Firth of Clyde, traditionally considered to have been unified by Kenneth MacAlpin. The region Breadalbane (Brŕghad Albainn, the upper part of "Alba") takes its name from it as well.

The Latin word alba is the feminine singular form of albus, meaning white in English.

As time passed that kingdom incorporated others to the southern territories. It became Latinized in the High Medieval period as "Albania" (it is unclear whether it may ultimately share the same etymon as the modern Albania). This latter word was employed mainly by Celto-Latin writers, and most famously by Geoffrey of Monmouth. It was this word which passed into Middle English as Albany, although very rarely was this used for the Kingdom of Scotland, but rather for the notional Duchy of Albany. From the latter the capital of the U.S. state of New York, Albany, takes its name.

Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alba)

Tabiti
07-20-2009, 08:18 PM
I think it is enough;)

SwordoftheVistula
07-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Albany for the Albanians!

Inese
07-20-2009, 09:11 PM

But Apricity for full European people!!

Aemma
07-20-2009, 09:24 PM

I'm sure New Yorkers would appreciate that very much. :)

Loddfafner
07-20-2009, 10:04 PM
I take it then that Albania is, literally, the "land of White people".

Osweo
07-20-2009, 10:48 PM
I take it then that Albania is, literally, the "land of White people".

No, the 'White land'.

Given that the White Cliffs of Dover are the first thing you notice when sailing across to us at the narrowest point of our sea defences, the name is quite understandable. That the name Albion is only current in the far northwest of the island, where chalk cliffs are unknown, is a matter of historical chance.

The 'Alps' should be mentioned also, if we really want to discuss the old root in question.

Macedonia
07-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Albania means "Whiteman's Land" !
http://home.att.net/~mhall.feature/WHITEMANS_LAND_MAP_2.jpg

It derive from Proto Indo-European (http://indo-european.info/dictionary-translator/translate/English/Indo-European/?q=white) "Albhos" means "White" !

Loki
07-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Please make your signature pic smaller, it distorts the posts. Thank you.

Lahtari
07-22-2009, 09:11 PM
No, the 'White land'.

That's right. People don't usually name countries by the physical characteristics of it's inhabitants, but by it's nature (The only exception I can think of is Nigeria. :P). Or for example, does anyone think that the Black Forest in Germany was inhabited by blacks? :D