PDA

View Full Version : Future planning

Loki
07-21-2009, 08:58 AM
A few questions:

1) Do you plan for your future, or just take every day at a time?
2) If you do, is it concrete or just ideas in your mind?
3) How old are you, and when did you start thinking ahead?
4) Are you optimistic or pessimistic about your future?

Elaborate if possible. :)

Ladejarlen
07-21-2009, 12:21 PM
I mostly live paycheck to paycheck, but Im going to save some cash now with my new job. I want to fix up my familys farm, and maybe move there later.
What about you, Loki?

Tabiti
07-21-2009, 07:49 PM
For now I only plan to pass my professional qualification exam next month, to go to the mountains more often, to read some books I want, to graduate at university, to start looking for a job. Family/children things and such don't interest me at the moment and probably in the next few years.

I don't like making grand, concrete plans for my life, after destiny often makes us surprises, so we must not have big expectations, since the disappointment of possible failure can be deadly. I hate to loose!

22. Never thought quite seriously about that. Before 3 and so years I even didn't know what to do, because all was in darkness for me.

I try to be realistic.

Absinthe
07-21-2009, 08:02 PM
No planning, I don't like growing "roots" or relying on too much stability.

Every time I've tried to do some long-term planning, it doesn't work out the way I've wanted it to. So I'd rather live the day and be surprised with whatever comes next :)

Phlegethon
07-21-2009, 08:29 PM
I don't plan my future as I don't have one. I think backwards and live backwards. And I will be dead sooner or later, which I am not sure is a pessimistic or optimistic approach.

Sally
07-21-2009, 08:46 PM
My lack of planning tends to aggravate those around me. :rolleyes:

Whereas you know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is a vapour which appeareth for a little while, and afterwards shall vanish away. For that you should say: If the Lord will, and if we shall live, we will do this or that.

Epistle of Saint James 4:14-15

Lay not up to yourselves treasures on earth: where the rust, and moth consume, and where thieves break through and steal. But lay up to yourselves treasures in heaven: where neither the rust nor moth doth consume, and where thieves do not break through, nor steal.

Gospel According to Saint Matthew 6:19-20

Phlegethon
07-21-2009, 08:52 PM
As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.
For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.
(Psalm 103, 15-16)

For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.
(1 Peter 1, 24-25)

Absinthe
07-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Well the only truly reliable future plans one can make, is one's funeral arrangements :D

Skandi
07-21-2009, 10:07 PM
I plan but I don't tend to stick to them, everyday is different, at the moment I am planning on working for a year to save some money for a masters, but if I find a funded place in the meantime...

See above...ooh pretty floaty butterflies.

28 and I always worked this way!

Optimistic, otherwise it would be suicide time! However I am optimistic that I will survive and cope, not that I will live in a huge house and have lots of money/happiness. I know better than that.

Loki
07-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Absinthe, Phlegethon, Sally ... you all think somewhat like me in this regard. :) This is surprising given that none of us are in our twenties anymore.

I have never been one to think too far into the future, for various reasons. I don't like an all planned-out future. I prefer the surprise element. Having said that, our preparation will determine whether those surprises are pleasant or regrettable.

At this point I think some guided thinking with a vision of success in mind, is in order. When I used to be very religious I didn't care too much about the future, since I knew that God would provide for me, and had something very special in store for my life. But now, I cannot ignore the reality of the fact that our actions determine the outcome of our lives. It is hard to shake off the don't-care-attitude that comes with a faith-based religion, though. Especially when one was deeply involved in that.

The greatest merit of being religious, imo, is that it shapes one's character and makes you less of a shallow person. I would prefer to spend the rest of my life with someone who has substance and a certain depth that you cannot find among materialistic people in our age.

Vargtand
07-21-2009, 10:21 PM
I always plan ahead, and I have done so for as long as I can remember, so 8 or so. It gets a bit fuzzy before that hehe.

Plan for my future

concrete, exact sums, etc. the more distant the future the less concrete, I only have ideas for my pension noting set in stone.

22, and as I said as far back as I can remember,

The future is what I make it.

Phlegethon
07-21-2009, 10:30 PM
http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a1268/a1268_bm.gif

Psychonaut
07-21-2009, 10:32 PM

I am most definitely a planner.

That depends on how far out that particular plan is. For instance, right now I'm getting into motion plans that will take effect when my enlistment ends a year from now.

Probably around the time my son was born; so, about 20.

Highly optimistic. :)

Loki
07-21-2009, 10:37 PM
http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a1268/a1268_bm.gif

That would ruin my Atkins diet. ;)

Jamt
07-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these ... (Matt. 6:28-29)

Loki
07-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these ...

Sometimes I wish I was a lily. They have it easy.

Barreldriver
07-21-2009, 11:53 PM
A few questions:

1. I do plan for my future.

2. For myself it is mostly just ideas in my mind, I am fascinated by so much I find it hard to stick to one concrete plan. I just want to do it all. :D lol

3. I am 19, I started thinking ahead as an early child, it was forced on me originally, then I grew to accept and enjoy it.

4. I make an attempt to think optimistic, however more oft then not, pessimism wins the battle.

Inese
07-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Yes after school examination i want to visit my old friends and the big family part in Latvia and after that i want to use a ship to visit Sweden and Norway if i can aford it with the money!! :icon_yes:Sweden is very near over the sea and we hear much of them. I want to see how it is there!!

It is a concrete plan but i am not sure how it works. But most important is visit my old friends and relatives!!

Lysander
07-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Well I've always liked maths so I'm going to study engineering. That's the only plan I have for now and also the only plan I've had for maybe 2-3 years.

Ulf
07-22-2009, 06:34 PM
The only plan I have is finding a spot in the wilderness to be self-sufficient. How I achieve that is unimportant. Been reading too much Thoreau apparently...

Mrs Ulf
07-22-2009, 06:40 PM

Every day at a time, sometimes I plan for things but mostly just things in the near future. I think if you plan too far ahead you lose sight of all the little things happening around you at that very moment, and you might miss out.

Mostly in my mind, day dreaming is fun.

Currently 22, haven't really started yet.

Depends on the time of day, and my current state of mind and occasionally the weather. Mostly optimistic though. ;)

WinterMoon
07-26-2009, 12:33 AM
A few questions:

1) Yes, I always plan for the future. I believe it is good to make goals and work towards them. It is also good to be flexible to change and to the roadblocks that life throws your way.

2) All of the above...... goals, dreams, ideas, concrete plans, etc. A mix.

3) :embarrassed Did you just ask my age? I have always thought ahead.

4) Always optimistic. :thumb001:

Brynhild
07-26-2009, 12:53 AM
For the most part, I think week by week. Our trip to New Zealand is just 5 weeks away and we're really looking forward to that. Now it's just a matter of buying some luggage and packing.

Probably a bit of both. I like daydreams and see where they go, if I can follow through with them. I am a realist at the end of the day though, who likes to be able to do things for myself.

I'm 45 now and I only really thought ahead when the situation arose, such as buying a house or planning a trip. As much as I should probably think more because of the kids, they are starting to tread their own paths now and I want them to think for themselves more.

I'm a little nervous right now, because I've finally decided to divorce my ex and sell the family home. I felt secure, and yet trapped at the same time. I am feeling a bit insecure about my decision, but there is also a knowing that I will be free. Does that make sense? :confused: It's a weird time, but I'm also looking forward to it all. The glass is always half full for me.