PDA

View Full Version : "Nothing of interest"

Beorn
07-21-2009, 07:03 PM
I was just watching the news and Michael Parkinson was being mentioned, and how his participation in the genealogical series 'Who do you think you are' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Do_You_Think_You_Are%3F)is not going to be going any further as his family history is: "Nothing of interest".

There you have it. The BBC consider local English history with its exclusive ties to the land of England as "nothing of interest"

:mad:

Osweo
07-21-2009, 07:17 PM
That's disgusting, isn't it? And that's basically what they say every time they extoll their 'diversity'. We were not enough before. We were lacking. Bastards.

Beorn
07-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Here we go. This is an article from another outraged Englishman wondering just what the bloody hell those idiots at the BBC are waffling on about.

Did the BBC reject Michael Parkinson's family tree because it was too English? (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100004579/did-the-bbc-reject-michael-parkinsons-family-tree-because-it-was-too-english/)

Working Class Tory (http://www.workingclasstory.com/2009/07/who-do-they-think-they-are.html) has an interesting theory about the makers of Who Do You Think You Are? rejecting Michael Parkinson’s family for being “too boring”:
Firstly, how insulting to reject the opportunity to show his programme – whether boring or not, he is liked enough to draw millions of viewers, and to reject him and accept others who are nauseatingly boring is wrong. Like John Hurt.
Secondly, just because his ancestry consists of miners, labourers and household staff doesn’t make it boring. It smacks of the upper middle class liberal prejudices that fester in the BBC.
Thirdly, presumably another reason why he was rejected was because his ancestry is English as far as one can tell.
This doesn’t fit into the disgraceful fascination English people have of trying to claim to be another nationality simply because of some obscure relative.
“I ain’t English, I’m Irish” I hear far too often. Far too often I think to myself “No you’re not, you’re from Milton Keynes, now shut up”.
John Hurt did this. He had some kind of romantic delusion that he has Irish ancestry. As I recall, he spent an hour of my time on “Who Do You Think You Are?” tarting around Ireland when his ancestors were fromGuildford or Chingford or somewhere equally not Irish.
It’s an excellent show but I can’t help but noticing an agenda to show that the English really are this melting-pot nation that the BBC would like us to be, the latest being Davina McCall, great-granddaughter of Celestin Hennion, the heroic defender of Dreyfus (or maybe it’s just an excuse to go abroad).
So what if Parky’s family are strait-laced? What an amazing opportunity, still, to present a history of the English working-class, from the fields to the factories and then (for some) the liberation of grammar schools, using the family story of one of the BBC’s most respected and well-loved servants. Only the Beeb could find this subject, involving ghastly, boring, white English commoners, too boring.

Æmeric
07-27-2009, 04:14 PM
It's more exotic or romantic to be Celt rather then Anglo-Saxon. English is boring. For Americans you can add German. Or Cherokee.

Graham
07-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Most of the episodes I've watched have been on the holocaust, Irish potatoe famine, highland clearances etc.. ( trys to make you cry:P ). Would have been interesting wae Parkinson, how you're average working class englishman lived back then. I would have watched it.

Beorn
07-27-2009, 04:49 PM
It's more exotic or romantic to be Celt rather then Anglo-Saxon. English is boring.

I don't think it's boring as such, but more we are simply not taught the beauty of being English and the wondrous things the English should be extremely proud of.

This subject has come up before, and I'm sure a few other English members will back me up with their own stories, but in school you are simply not taught enough about the Anglo-Saxons and the quintessential essence of Englishness.

It was all Romans, Normans, German Nazis and Jews.

The programme is an odd one though. I remember watching the one for Barbara Windsor and she actually wanted to find lots of English with lots of Cockney. She found some Irish on one side of the family and the programme deteriorated from that point on.

Loyalist
07-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Most of the episodes I've watched have been on the holocaust, Irish potatoe famine, highland clearances etc.. ( trys to make you cry:P ). Would have been interesting wae Parkinson, how you're average working class englishman lived back then. I would have watched it.

I've noticed the same with the Canadian version of WDYTYA; always some sympathetic, uninteresting tale about descent from slaves, Holocaust survivors, and other victims of "white oppression", interspersed with a show or two featuring a white Anglo to avoid accusations of PC bias. I'm surprised that someone of Parkinson's standing would be rejected in such a manner, but confident that, had it been revealed that Parkinson was a Quadroon, the response would be quite different.

07-27-2009, 11:10 PM
I don't think it's boring as such, but more we are simply not taught the beauty of being English and the wondrous things the English should be extremely proud of.

I think it's even worse than that, the English are continually hectored with how awful their ancestors were. Wicked, evil, racist, oppressive scum. Hell, last time I was home I made a comment to a rather patriotic and traditionally minded cousin that England had been a sovereign nation for 1000 years and therefore should withdraw from the EU. He replied that the English had been oppressing everybody else for all those centuries. I'm still at a loss what relevance it had to the matter in hand, but it does show the extent of media brainwashing. :mad:

Treffie
07-27-2009, 11:12 PM
The programme is an odd one though. I remember watching the one for Barbara Windsor and she actually wanted to find lots of English with lots of Cockney.

I watched that one, it was fascinating. Didn't she discover that she was a distant relative of John Constable?

Gooding
07-27-2009, 11:18 PM
I was just watching the news and Michael Parkinson was being mentioned, and how his participation in the genealogical series 'Who do you think you are' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Do_You_Think_You_Are%3F)is not going to be going any further as his family history is: "Nothing of interest".

There you have it. The BBC consider local English history with its exclusive ties to the land of England as "nothing of interest"

:mad:

Fucking prats.Not to mention traitors.:eek::mad::mad:

Óttar
07-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Windsor

Ha, "Windsor" try Saxe-Coburg Gotha. If the royal family hadn't turned their backs on their German heritage, things would be a lot different today.

Beorn
07-28-2009, 01:43 AM
I was home I made a comment to a rather patriotic and traditionally minded cousin that England had been a sovereign nation for 1000 years and therefore should withdraw from the EU. He replied that the English had been oppressing everybody else for all those centuries.

You should have smacked your cousin in the nose and oppressed his bollocks. ;)

Ha, "Windsor" try Saxe-Coburg Gotha.

Blimey! I don't think our Bab's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Windsor#7881244145309216845) is that connected. She was married to the London underworld through that fella, mind, but that would be some link alright. :D

If the royal family hadn't turned their backs on their German heritage, things would be a lot different today.

How so?

Freomæg
07-28-2009, 12:47 PM
This is to be expected of the BBC. The only BBC programming I still sometimes watch is the news. I need to kick that habit.

Óttar
07-28-2009, 07:06 PM
How so?

Well, no calling the Germans "Huns" during WWI and sowing enmity between brother nations. This means the English and Germans could have been allies and formed a bloc against their common rival France.

Graham
07-28-2009, 07:14 PM
This is to be expected of the BBC. The only BBC programming I still sometimes watch is the news. I need to kick that habit.

Mock the week and Top gear's good on the bbc

Óttar
07-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Mock the week and Top gear's good on the bbc

On BBC America all they have is Gordon Ramsey, an insufferable asshole chef just like every other cooking teacher I've ever met. How Clean is Your House, BBC World News, and You Are What You Eat.

The last show I could not believe they had all the family members take a dump into a Rubbermaid container and then had them guess which one did it. They even showed the turds! :eek: (Albeit with censor fuzzies)

Sick bastards.