PDA

View Full Version : Bodybuilding Thread

Arthas
11-18-2012, 07:49 PM
This is a thread dedicated to any discussion involving bodybuilding or weightlifting/working out in general.

Little intro: Started in September 2012 at 135lbs, I am now about 148lbs (haven't weighed myself in a while) and I'm aiming for 155lbs by Christmas and either 160-170lbs lean or 180-190lbs by August 2013 before I go to Uni.

I'm a strong supporter of dirty bulking as opposed to clean bulking, come at me bro

I will post progress pictures every few months.

Kazimiera
11-18-2012, 08:25 PM
I have read that it is dangerous to start body-building too young because it can damage the bones which are not fully developed yet.

What is you take on this?

Absinthe
11-18-2012, 08:26 PM
I'm a strong supporter of dirty bulking as opposed to clean bulking, come at me bro

Can you elaborate as to why? Are you too skinny and have difficulty of putting on weight in general? Are you too young and too bored to prepare a proper meal? Or is there some special philosophy behind this?

Flintlocke
11-18-2012, 08:29 PM
http://forum.ronnie.cz/images/uploads/img_1335969768_1.jpg

Zmey Gorynych
11-18-2012, 08:35 PM
I suggest you leave the bodybuilding crap and take on a serious sport like boxing, muay-thai or judo(or any wrestling sport for that matter). Surely it will be more practical and useful and less damaging (contrary to what many people believe). If you're not naturally predisposed to build muscle you won't no matter how hard you'll try.

dado
11-18-2012, 08:37 PM
I have read that it is dangerous to start body-building too young because it can damage the bones which are not fully developed yet.

if i was on his place i'd be more worried about his "little friend"...too much synthetic stimulants can kill his buddy

Arthas
11-18-2012, 08:37 PM
I suggest you leave the bodybuilding crap and take on a serious sport like boxing, muay-thai or judo(or any wrestling sport for that matter). Surely it will be more practical and useful and less damaging (contrary to what many people believe). If you're not naturally predisposed to build muscle you won't no matter how hard you'll try.

If you eat a calorie surplus and are regularly putting progressively increasing tension on your muscles, you will build muscle mass, it is a basic bodily function.

Fortis in Arduis
11-18-2012, 08:39 PM
I am not in to bodybuilding per se, but general physical training and the self-discipline aspect greatly appeal, and bodybuilders know everything about weight-training which is part of my programme.

Generally, I am a yoga practicioner, and so enjoy postures such as this:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk294/fortis28/fortisbender.jpg

Supta Kurmasana,

as well as weight-training.

Yoga practioners cannot really run, or swim too much as it over-stresses the joints, but we can weight-train, swim a little and cycle, plenty of cycling.

There are 3 types of training:

Strength: Low reps (typically 5) + high weight

Endurance/Stamina: High reps (typically 15+ for most muscles) + low weight

Hypertrophy/Size: Medium reps (8-12 for most muscles) + medium weight

This is fine, although I do not understand the science exactly. My problem, as I have said, is that I cannot calculate my 50% one rep max, which I should train at, according to the Vedas.

It appears that the various formulae cannot be used to calculate this number, with respect to the number of reps I ought to be doing.

Observe:

This table only runs to 15 reps, which corresponds to 60/65%
http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

This calculator suggests about 20 reps when tested with various figures:
http://www.webefit.com/Calculators/Calc_OneRepMax.html

That would put me well into the endurance and stamina range.

My trainer said '15 reps', but I do not buy it. What about my Saturday training, when I want, and am able to exhaust? I could try and lift my max one rep on all exercises. :thumb001:

alb0zfinest
11-18-2012, 08:42 PM
My progress so far.... what do you guys think
http://www.handsomemasculinemen.com/male-bodybuilder-photography/Petr-Prielozny-Young-Bodybuilder.jpg

Absinthe
11-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Λ :rolleyes:

Arthas
11-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Can you elaborate as to why? Are you too skinny and have difficulty of putting on weight in general? Are you too young and too bored to prepare a proper meal? Or is there some special philosophy behind this?

Clean bulking
Calorie surplus of around 200-300
Gain muscle slower
Gain less body fat

Dirty bulking
Calorie surplus of >500
Gain muscle more quickly
Gain a lot more body fat

I choose to dirty bulk because it takes way too long to gain a significant amount of muscle mass with clean bulking, and because I have good genetics when it comes to fat storage (or in this case, a lack of it).

I have a friend who has been bodybuilding for over 2 years, and he sticks with clean bulking to the death. He has only gained about 30-40lbs in over 2 years.

alb0zfinest
11-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Λ :rolleyes:

why can't you just accept the truth?

Peyrol
11-18-2012, 08:44 PM
I practiced bbing from 17 to 21 years old...was a great time.
Now i stopped since july 2011 due to many reasosn (like my dyspnea), but i want to restart when i'll resolve (i hope soon) this problem.

If you're an ectomorph, then you need al least 4 gr od carbohidrates / 2.2 lbs, even ''dirty'' carbohidrates with high insulin impact.

Just an adivice: don't take the IFBB pro as Heath, Cutler, Centopani, Jackson, etc as examples, because for obvious reasons they aren't a good example...firstly for the genetic, second for the doping; just follow the ''3 pilasters: training, diet and rest''.

Arthas
11-18-2012, 08:46 PM

Not true. Weightlifting does not stunt growth or damage bone structure or close growth plates.

If you start REALLY young, we're talking like under 10, you won't be able to lift anywhere near enough to cause even slight damage because your body barely produces any testosterone, which means you basically cannot grow muscle.

Dacul
11-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Some muscles are easy to be developed,for example the muscles of the back,the muscles from your shoulders.
Other muscles are harder to develop for example the muscles from the chest.
Other muscles are even harder to develop,for example biceps.

Arthas
11-18-2012, 08:47 PM
if i was on his place i'd be more worried about his "little friend"...too much synthetic stimulants can kill his buddy

Not true. There is no supplement in existence that affects penis size. Anabolic Steroids can temporarily cause testicle shrinkage though.

Virtuous
11-18-2012, 08:48 PM

Body building without the proper amount of proteins is for show offs and pussies, lol, I laugh at those who are too careful about their diet, eating a chicken breast here and a lettuce there...

Real men get built and eat beef n carbs in large quantities :D.

Leon_C
11-18-2012, 08:49 PM

Judo ftw! I do judo and lift weights (but mainly for strength)

Dacul
11-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Body building without the proper amount of proteins is for show offs and pussies, lol, I laugh at those who are too careful about their diet, eating a chicken breast here and a lettuce there...

Real men are drinking and do not care if they skip a meal in a morning or in another part of the day.
I am loling at the people obsessed with "I have not ate my morning meal" and so on.
I usually skip my morning meal.

Absinthe
11-18-2012, 08:50 PM
I choose to dirty bulk because it takes way too long to gain a significant amount of muscle mass with clean bulking, and because I have good genetics when it comes to fat storage (or in this case, a lack of it).

This is because you're young. I am afraid that careless fat intake will take a toll on you in the years to come, in terms of arteries, heart, etc.

I can understand how a young person like you is very impatient on bulking up but I am really against fast and spectacular results, myself. I prefer the slower and enduring approach, myself.
From what I've seen fast bulking is REALLY easy to lose, too. Say you get gastroenteritis for two weeks and you can shed as much as 15lbs. Or say you quit working out for a month or two and you turn into a blob. I've seen it happening to my friends who have been in the process of bulking up fast.

If I was you, I'd put more effort in building up a stable and healthy amount of bulk, via high protein and low fat food, and lots of exercising also combined with cardio.

Careful as too much bulking too fast may result into decrease in stamina, stiffness, etc. You don't want to be walking like you're holding two water melons under your arms - not cool :p

Virtuous
11-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Real men are drinking and do not care if they skip a meal in a morning or in another part of the day.
I am loling at the people obsessed with "I have not ate my morning meal" and so on.
I usually skip my morning meal.

Eat like a boar, lift like a bear :D.

Arthas
11-18-2012, 08:53 PM

Bodybuilders do not lift for strength, they lift for size and aesthetics. Powerlifters train 100% for strength which is why they are significantly stronger. Bodybuilders are still very strong though.

I consider myself a bodybuilder and that's the route I want to go down, but I love powerlifting too. They are two sides of the same coin imo.

Absinthe
11-18-2012, 08:53 PM
why can't you just accept the truth?
Because since you're Albanian your name obviously isn't Petr-Prielozny and because you posted a random photo from the site handsomemasculinemen.com and didn't even bother to hide the link. :rolleyes:

Leon_C
11-18-2012, 08:54 PM

I am vegetarian...

Virtuous
11-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Bodybuilders do not lift for strength, they lift for size and aesthetics. Powerlifters train 100% for strength which is why they are significantly stronger. Bodybuilders are still very strong though.

I consider myself a bodybuilder and that's the route I want to go down, but I love powerlifting too. They are two sides of the same coin imo.

Not those who take steroids n such shit.

Peyrol
11-18-2012, 08:55 PM
I liked a lot old-school physyques as Larry Scott, Steve Reeves and Ken Waller...very harmonious bodies and not boiler-like as modern pro bodybuilders.

http://www.newteamathenaeum.com/uploads/5/3/7/0/5370668/1083743_orig.jpg?139

http://www.bodybuildbid.com/articles/mrolympia/imgs/scott/scott2.jpg

http://www.ifbbpro.com/wp-content/uploads/image/halloffame/SteveReeves1.jpg

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4894/sr3ef2.jpg

Virtuous
11-18-2012, 08:55 PM
I am vegetarian...

Then you should go jogging and dedicate your life to being healthy and light as a feather :P.

Leon_C
11-18-2012, 08:56 PM
This is because you're young. I am afraid that careless fat intake will take a toll on you in the years to come, in terms of arteries, heart, etc.

I can understand how a young person like you is very impatient on bulking up but I am really against fast and spectacular results, myself. I prefer the slower and enduring approach, myself.
From what I've seen fast bulking is REALLY easy to lose, too. Say you get gastroenteritis for two weeks and you can shed as much as 15lbs. Or say you quit working out for a month or two and you turn into a blob. I've seen it happening to my friends who have been in the process of bulking up fast.

If I was you, I'd put more effort in building up a stable and healthy amount of bulk, via high protein and low fat food, and lots of exercising also combined with cardio.

Careful as too much bulking too fast may result into decrease in stamina, stiffness, etc. You don't want to be walking like you're holding two water melons under your arms - not cool :p

So much yes! I used to think a huge diet and fast bulking was the way to go but now I am enlightened!

alb0zfinest
11-18-2012, 08:57 PM
This is a thread dedicated to any discussion involving bodybuilding or weightlifting/working out in general.

Little intro: Started in September 2012 at 135lbs, I am now about 148lbs (haven't weighed myself in a while) and I'm aiming for 155lbs by Christmas and either 160-170lbs lean or 180-190lbs by August 2013 before I go to Uni.

How tall are you?

Zmey Gorynych
11-18-2012, 08:58 PM

Exactly, I eat as much as I like and whenever I like (even at 2 in the morning). Anyone eats raw meat? Now that's a source of protein :)

Arthas
11-18-2012, 08:58 PM

You misunderstood. My body fat percentage has not increased so far. Besides, when my body fat level gets to a certain level, I will go on a cut and get it back down to 10-12%, then go on another bulk. That bulk-cut diet cycle is how bodybuilders get big and keep a low body fat. Make no mistake about it though; I am in total control of how much I eat. I actually can't wait until I go on a cut, because eating 500 calories over your maintenance is A LOT harder than it sounds.

Leon_C
11-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Exactly, I eat as much as I like and whenever I like (even at 2 in the morning). Anyone eats raw meat? Now that's source of protein :)

You will have serious heart problems, humans aren't designed to consume meat.

Absinthe
You misunderstood. My body fat percentage has not increased so far. Besides, when my body fat level gets to a certain level, I will go on a cut and get it back down to 10-12%, then go on another bulk. That bulk-cut diet cycle is how bodybuilders get big and keep a low body fat. Make no mistake about it though; I am in total control of how much I eat. I actually can't wait until I go on a cut, because eating 500 calories over your maintenance is A LOT harder than it sounds.
Your body fat is 10-12%? :eek: You must really be a textbook ectomorph... :thumbs

Arthas
Not those who take steroids n such shit.

Yes, they are. Taking Anabolic Steroids just speeds up the muscle-building process, a side effect of that process is gains in strength. A guy who has 200lbs of muscle mass and took steroids will have exactly the same strength as a gu who has 200lbs of muscle mass in the same areas but is all natural.

Arthas
11-18-2012, 09:00 PM
How tall are you?

I am 5'9. I hope I grow to around 5'11 or 6'0. That is literally the perfect height for someone who wants to gain muscle for aesthetics.

Zmey Gorynych
11-18-2012, 09:01 PM
live fast, die young ;) then why do we have incisor teeth ?

Arthas
11-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Your body fat is 10-12%? :eek: You must really be a textbook ectomorph... :thumbs

Last time I measured it, it was either 12 or 13%. Can't remember which. It hasn't visibly increased at all.

Grizzly
11-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Lulz, OP doesn't know how to lift properly. Mirin?

Arthas
11-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Lulz, OP doesn't know how to lift properly. Mirin?

Fuck off Shqipnigger

Absinthe
Last time I measured it, it was either 12 or 13%. Can't remember which. It hasn't visibly increased at all.
That's amazing even though not surprising for a young person and an ectomorph at that.

Mine went up to 24.5 from 23.3 last year but they said that's not bad at all for a woman my age. Plus, I had muscle gain and improved bone density as well. :)

Minesweeper
I recommend swimming. I was swimming for year and a half frequently, three and later four times a week and done some work outs in the meantime. Thanks for that, my shoulders are broader and I have nice triangle back, not to mention that I have grown up for additional 6 centimeters. From 188 to 194.

Midori
11-18-2012, 09:05 PM
live fast, die young ;)

Mah nigga :thumb001:

I can't stand health nazis. Their lives are boring as hell.

Virtuous
11-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Yes, they are. Taking Anabolic Steroids just speeds up the muscle-building process, a side effect of that process is gains in strength. A guy who has 200lbs of muscle mass and took steroids will have exactly the same strength as a gu who has 200lbs of muscle mass in the same areas but is all natural.

I see, steroids are for those who can't get bulk easily I guess, the ectomorph body type.

Arthas
11-18-2012, 09:06 PM
I see, steroids are for those who can't get bulk easily I guess, the ectomorph body type.

Steroids are for anyone. I said this before and I'll say it again, there are two purposes of taking Anabolic Steroids:

To allow you to temporarily go past your genetic limit due to significantly increased testosterone levels.
To allow you to gain muscle mass more quickly due to significantly increased testosterone levels.

ficuscarica
11-18-2012, 09:06 PM
you guys need to gayn some muscles, what a gay thread

Virtuous
11-18-2012, 09:07 PM

Actually humans can consume both veggies and meat if in a good and balanced way (omnivores), but I am more of a Tyrannosaurus Rex :P.

morski
11-18-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm into calisthenics and never have taken any supplements other than multi-vitamins and beer yeast. I've been working out with different intensity for the last 10 years. I regret I don't have a picture of me when I started, I was at the same height - 185 cm. and weighed under 70 kg.

Here's me approx. 6 years ago. Somewhere between 70 and 75 kg.

And those were taken last month. Weight is around 80 kg.

Diet is... hmm have no diet really, just what most people eat + lots of beer.:D

Virtuous
11-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Steroids are for anyone. I said this before and I'll say it again, there are two purposes of taking Anabolic Steroids:

To allow you to temporarily go past your genetic limit due to significantly increased testosterone levels.
To allow you to gain muscle mass more quickly due to significantly increased testosterone levels.

Well, whatever floats your boat. I don't need any since I gain muscle easily.

Absinthe
11-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Amazing progress Morski :thumbs You still have work to do but you've done really well :)

Arthas
11-18-2012, 09:10 PM
I recommend swimming. I was swimming for year and a half frequently, three and later four times a week and done some work outs in the meantime. Thanks for that, my shoulders are broader and I have nice triangle back, not to mention that I have grown up for additional 6 centimeters. From 188 to 194.

Yeah, I need to keep my body fat relatively low because I have a very bad history of heart conditions in my family.

dado
11-18-2012, 09:11 PM

nice tits... lol

ficuscarica
11-18-2012, 09:12 PM
who want ta see my sixpack and boobz?

Arthas
11-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Well, whatever floats your boat. I don't need any since I gain muscle easily.

Lol, I probably won't ever need to take steroids.

They become safe to take (if you know what you're doing) at around age 21, but by that time I would have achieved my ideal body.

Dacul
11-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Žydrūnas Savickas which is one of the best strongest men but does not have any body definition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BDydr%C5%ABnas_Savickas#Personal_records
He does bench press with 285kg.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bench_press)
So lol,who cares about body building?
No offense but body builders are actually pussy - like men,lol.
"Oh look what muscles I got!" rofl.

Fortis in Arduis
11-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Lol, I probably won't ever need to take steroids.

They become safe to take (if you know what you're doing) at around age 21, but by that time I would have achieved my ideal body.

It must be reassuring that you will be able to achieve that. Presumably you will then simply focus on maintaining it, as part of the natural yearly cycle, 'cutting' back each spring.

Grizzly
11-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Fuck off Shqipnigger

Did I rustle your jimmies pion? U mad dat I'm more swole than you'll ever be?

Mad brah? U on dat dere phaggy time?

Arthas
11-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Žydrūnas Savickas which is one of the best strongest men but does not have any body definition.

This is the deadlift world record. The most amazing part about this is that he isn't using straps.

q4jO21-a2W0

morski
11-18-2012, 09:17 PM

Aesthetes.:thumb001:

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/h2/h2_25.78.56.jpg

Leon_C
11-18-2012, 09:17 PM
live fast, die young ;) then why do we have incisor teeth ?

:picard2: Cows have incisor teeth, so do chimps who also have canines which are much larger than ours (and a chimps diet consists of 1.4% meat) and as for the canines, if we were designed to consume meat we would have much larger canine teeth. I find that my canines are useful for biting through tough vegetation such as carrots.

Zmey Gorynych
11-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Aesthetes.:thumb001:

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/h2/h2_25.78.56.jpg
the consequence of weightlifting is obvious :)

ficuscarica
11-18-2012, 09:20 PM
:picard2: Cows have incisor teeth, so do chimps who also have canines which are much larger than ours (and a chimps diet consists of 1.4% meat) and as for the canines, if we were designed to consume meat we would have much larger canine teeth. I find that my canines are useful for biting through tough vegetation such as carrots.

Our digestive organs are omnivorous (similar to pigs), not herbivorous.

Leon_C
11-18-2012, 09:22 PM
the consequence of weightlifting is obvious :)

Big balls and no penis

Zmey Gorynych
11-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Both canines and incisors (especially canines) are designed for tearing flesh of the bones. Our canines grew smaller because humans invented tools (like the knife for example) plus we don't eat raw meat anymore (well most of us). We either boil or fry the food before consuming it.

Leon_C
Our digestive organs are omnivorous (similar to pigs), not herbivorous.

Our digestive organs are most similar to chimps as they are closest to us of all species genetically which I have already mentioned have a diet of 1.4% meat, but are also more adapted to eating meat than us. Chimps by no means rely on meat as an important part of their diet, and they would survive just fine without it. Chimps usually only resort to eating meat under desperate circumstances. I'm not saying humans can't eat meat, I'm saying that humans are not meant to eat meat as the mainstay or even as a major part of our diet. The average american diet consists of around 30-40% meat and obesity is running wild there, and not because of the frequency of Cromagnid phenotypes found there.

morski
nice tits... lol

The side effect of 100 parallel bar dips per work-out.

ficuscarica
11-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Our digestive organs are most similar to chimps as they are closest to us of all species genetically which I have already mentioned have a diet of 1.4% meat, but are also more adapted to eating meat than us. Chimps by no means rely on meat as an important part of their diet, and they would survive just fine without it. Chimps usually only resort to eating meat under desperate circumstances. I'm not saying humans can't eat meat, I'm saying that humans are not meant to eat meat as the mainstay or even as a major part of our diet. The average american diet consists of around 30-40% meat and obesity is running wild there, and not because of the frequency of Cromagnid phenotypes found there.

In any case, chimps eat meat as well. Pigs don´t eat a lot of meat, either. Just saying that herbivores have longer digestive organs than we do. We can digest both plant matter and meat. And we can survive on both - as we are intermediate.

30-40% meat in the diet is of course pure stupidity.

Leon_C
11-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Both canines and incisors (especially canines) are designed for tearing flesh of the bones. Our canines grew smaller because humans invented tools (like the knife for example) plus we don't eat raw meat anymore (well most of us). We either boil or fry the food before consuming it.

Exactly, we need to break down the protein structure of the meat to be able to digest it properly. The only possible reason for our canines growing smaller would be selection pressure against having large canines, that would mean that large canines were in some way decreasing life expectancy or reproductive success.

Zmey Gorynych
11-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Exactly, we need to break down the protein structure of the meat to be able to digest it properly. The only possible reason for our canines growing smaller would be selection pressure against having large canines, that would mean that large canines were in some way decreasing life expectancy or reproductive success.
and here lies the difference, I think that the diminishing of canines was a consequence of technological evolution and not selection pressure. I can't see how bigger canines could be detrimental to life expectancy or reproductive success.

Fortis in Arduis
11-18-2012, 09:48 PM
and here lies the difference, I think that the diminishing of canines was a consequence of technological evolution and not selection pressure. I can't see how bigger canines could be detrimental to life expectancy or reproductive success.

Did we ever have big canines anyway?

I honestly believe that meat is a famine food which has been pushed by farmers along with mega-carbs like sugar and grains. It allows them to accrue large amounts of land and profits.

I have no natural urge to eat meat at all, and I think that parents train their children to do it and that it is totally unnatural.

Leon_C
11-18-2012, 09:52 PM

Then how else would they have grown smaller, by which process other than evolution can you use to explain this. Evolution only occurs through selection pressure.

Fortis in Arduis
11-18-2012, 09:56 PM
you guys need to gayn some muscles, what a gay thread

77XnUY9BfiE

:dance: :bounce :dance:

:dancing:

Zmey Gorynych
11-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Did we ever have big canines anyway?

I honestly believe that meat is a famine food which has been pushed by farmers along with mega-carbs like sugar and grains. It allows them to accrue large amounts of land and profits.

I have no natural urge to eat meat at all, and I think that parents train their children to do it and that it is totally unnatural.
I believe we did have bigger canines. I personally feel the need to consume meat and if I go for more than a couple of weeks without it I don't feel good. You can't deny the nutritious value of meat and it's contribution to growth.

Fortis in Arduis
11-18-2012, 10:10 PM
I believe we did have bigger canines. I personally feel the need to consume meat and if I go for more than a couple of weeks without it I don't feel good. You can't deny the nutritious value of meat and it's contribution to growth.

What if you were just used to it, because your mum had given it to you as a child?

Also, it could be that some humans need it and some humans really do not.

It could even be harmful for some humans. I think that is a given because vegetarians live longer on average.

There are plenty of huge vegetarian mammals.

http://www.autismfile.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Elephant_256x256.png

Personally I find the taste so disgusting, that I cannot even chew it. It tastes dead and rotten, even smoked salmon, and juicy steak or whatever. I have tried, I like animals, but I am prepared to eat them if they taste nice enough.

The only time I have been able to eat meat, right back to when I was a tiny child, was when the flavour and texture was disguised, like in sausage meat, but I soon rejected that.

Meat is poison for me, that much I know, and it is hard to digest. Really hard.

Arthas
11-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Currently have a damaged right arm which is really affecting my workouts. I did something to it last Friday in an arm wrestle, still don't know what's wrong with it but it could be anything from a pulled muscle, to a torn muscle, to a damaged tendon. All I know is that it's something to do with my bicep.

Going to the gym tomorrow morning, hope it gets a little better before then.

Leon_C
11-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Currently have a damaged right arm which is really affecting my workouts. I did something to it last Friday in an arm wrestle, still don't know what's wrong with it but it could be anything from a pulled muscle, to a torn muscle, to a damaged tendon. All I know is that it's something to do with my bicep.

Going to the gym tomorrow morning, hope it gets a little better before then.

If it still hurts avoid going, or at the least avoid using that arm, I broke my toe just over 3 weeks ago and I haven't done any legs since then. Luckily my legs are kinda big anyway (especially my thigh, it's 25 inches around) and they don't seem to have gotten any smaller.

Arthas
11-20-2012, 02:26 PM
If it still hurts avoid going, or at the least avoid using that arm, I broke my toe just over 3 weeks ago and I haven't done any legs since then. Luckily my legs are kinda big anyway (especially my thigh, it's 25 inches around) and they don't seem to have gotten any smaller.

Yeah, you don't lose muscle mass unless you don't eat enough. You will probably lose some strength though.

It does hurt but it's getting better. I was able to do my DB presses and shoulder work before it started to ache, then I just did some work on my left arm, it's kind of good in a way because it's an opportunity for my left arm to catch up!

Leon_C
11-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Yeah, you don't lose muscle mass unless you don't eat enough. You will probably lose some strength though.

It does hurt but it's getting better. I was able to do my DB presses and shoulder work before it started to ache, then I just did some work on my left arm, it's kind of good in a way because it's an opportunity for my left arm to catch up!

How much do you DB press atm? Last night I did 27kg x 10 then 32kg x 10 and 35kg x 9

Peyrol
11-20-2012, 03:07 PM
This is a MUST

vJCqwU7BqRU

Arthas
11-20-2012, 03:59 PM
How much do you DB press atm? Last night I did 27kg x 10 then 32kg x 10 and 35kg x 9

I only started DB pressing a week ago. I'm currently on 22's for 3x10.

Leon_C
11-20-2012, 05:26 PM
What's your opinion on Dumbbell press vs Barbell press? I personally prefer DB presses cos they are safer and If I lose control I can simply let go of the weight and it will harmlessly fall on the floor, rather than my face or chest. How about you?

Arthas
11-20-2012, 06:20 PM
What's your opinion on Dumbbell press vs Barbell press? I personally prefer DB presses cos they are safer and If I lose control I can simply let go of the weight and it will harmlessly fall on the floor, rather than my face or chest. How about you?

DB presses use more muscle fibers than BB presses which means more hypertrophy. Also you don't need a spotter which is good.

I've never BB pressed, for the first 2 months of working out I just used a chestpress machine as a substitute

Albion
11-20-2012, 08:55 PM
I am vegetarian...

That's gay.

Yes we are.

I think you can get that anyway by eating more fish and foods with zinc in (such as strawberries). Zinc is also supposed to get women in the mood, I'm not sure how true it is though.

Albion
11-20-2012, 09:16 PM

Meat eating would have been an advantage. In times of drought or in areas that are unsuitable to crops it meant we could hunt animals or keep livestock for food. Europe and Northern Asia would have been colonised much latter if it wasn't for humans being able to eat meat. Try finding enough plants to eat in the Arctic, or even in an average temperate forest (without having to travel miles each day).

Albion
11-20-2012, 09:21 PM
The settled judgment of science is that man is an omnivore, capable of eating both meat and vegetables, much as certain four-year-olds might like to convince their mothers otherwise.

Like the hard-core carnivores, we have fairly simple digestive systems well suited to the consumption of animal protein, which breaks down quickly. Contrary to what your magazine article says, the human small intestine, at 23 feet, is a little under eight times body length (assuming a mouth-to-anus "body length" of three feet). This is about midway between cats (three times body length), dogs (3-1/2 times), and other well-known meat eaters on the one hand and plant eaters such as cattle (20 to 1) and horses (12 to 1) on the other. This tends to support the idea that we are omnivores.

Herbivores also have a variety of specialized digestive organs capable of breaking down cellulose, the main component of plant tissue. Humans find cellulose totally indigestible, and even plant eaters have to take their time with it. [that's why humans can't subsist on grass - although some people put ryegrass in food processors]. If you were a ruminant (cud eater), for instance, you might have a stomach with four compartments, enabling you to cough up last night's alfalfa and chew on it all over again.

Or you might have an enlarged cecum, a sac attached to the intestines, where rabbits and such store food until their intestinal bacteria have time to do their stuff. Digestion in such cases takes place by a process of fermentation — bacteria actually "eat" the cellulose and the host animal consumes what results, namely bacteria dung.

The story is roughly the same with teeth. We're equipped with an all-purpose set of ivories equally suited to liver and onions.

Good thing, too. I won't claim meat is the ideal source of protein, but on the whole it's better than plants. Sure, soybeans and other products of modern agriculture are pretty nutritious. But in the wild, much of the plant menu consists of leaves and stems, which are low in food value. True herbivores have to spend much of the day scrounging for snacks just to keep their strength up. [Ever notice how cattle and sheep are forever grazing?]

So make no mistake: we were born to eat meat. That's not to say you have to. There's no question that strictly from a health standpoint we'd all be a lot better off eating less meat (red meat especially) and more fruits and vegetables. But vegetarians aren't going to advance their cause by making ridiculous claims.

Here it seems to me the best evidence is our history as a species. We have been happily eating meat for at least two million years, and probably much longer. The common view among anthropologists, in fact, is that increased meat consumption was a key element in the development of human culture, since getting and distributing the stuff requires cooperation.

Not all anthropoid apes are exclusively vegetarian. The primatologist Jane Goodall established more than 20 years ago that wild chimpanzees kill other animals once in a while and eat the meat with relish. Other primates (although apparently not gorillas) do so as well. It's true chimps and other apes eat a mostly veggie diet, but for that matter so do most humans. Hunter-gatherers today consume only about 35 percent meat to 65 percent vegetables (Lee and Devore, 1976). Anyway, we and the anthropoid apes diverged six to 14 million years ago — who cares what monkeys munch now?

Your argument that meat-eaters are more prone to chronic disease is irrelevant. Chronic disease typically strikes the old, not those of prime child-rearing age. Till recently most folks never got chronic disease because they died of the acute kind first. It's had minimal impact on our ability to reproduce ourselves, which of course is the basis of natural selection. In short, as we evolved, chronic disease did not "select out" for vegetarianism. I trust you see the significance of this.

There is much to be said for vegetarianism. I am at a loss to know why vegetarians cannot be content simply to say it, without taking the argument over a cliff.

Leon_C
11-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Meat eating would have been an advantage. In times of drought or in areas that are unsuitable to crops it meant we could hunt animals or keep livestock for food. Europe and Northern Asia would have been colonised much latter if it wasn't for humans being able to eat meat. Try finding enough plants to eat in the Arctic, or even in an average temperate forest (without having to travel miles each day).

I wasn't talking about convenience, I was talking about physiology, I eat fish myself (So I'm unsure whether or not I am a proper vegetarian) but for health reasons I avoid other meats especially red meat, but I can't be bothered to argue this again, so let's just leave it at this: you are right meat is a convenient source of food in harsh climates.

Albion
11-20-2012, 09:30 PM
I wasn't talking about convenience, I was talking about physiology, I eat fish myself (So I'm unsure whether or not I am a proper vegetarian)

I don't understand why some people don't see fish as a meat - it's an animal, it's meat. The Christian "fish is not meat" thing is just a lie.

Leon_C
11-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Yes It's not that we can't eat meat, if we weren't supposed to we would have stopped it by now, but it is not a necessary component of our diet, and vegetarians on average live longer. I accept that you may want to keep meat as a major component of you're diet, that's your choice, but I've made up my mind.

Leon_C
11-20-2012, 09:33 PM
I don't understand why some people don't see fish as a meat - it's an animal, it's meat. The Christian "fish is not meat" thing is just a lie.

Fish is easier to digest than other meat, hence why people eat raw fish but not raw beef (unless they are crazy)

Albion
11-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Yes It's not that we can't eat meat, if we weren't supposed to we would have stopped it by now, but it is not a necessary component of our diet, and vegetarians on average live longer. I accept that you may want to keep meat as a major component of you're diet, that's your choice, but I've made up my mind.

No longer necessary? Well sure; you can survive on vegetation alone, but vegetation mixed in with moderate quantities of meat is always better. Have you ever seen how ill some vegans look from avoiding animal products? If animal protein wasn't necessary to humans then why are they suffering from a lack of it?
Go to practically any vegan forum and you'll find them there talking about unusual crops such as quinoa and banging on about how much protein whatever it is has. They really have to take into account their diet much more than other people because essentially a normal diet devoid of animal products would be lacking. We also see a lot of supplements marketed at vegans - supplements? So basically their diet is so deficient they need artificial substances to help them survive.

Fish is easier to digest than other meat, hence why people eat raw fish but not raw beef (unless they are crazy)

You can eat anything raw. Humans just prefer things cooked (and it's safer). We used to eat raw meat of any kind (some cultures still do). But in most societies we cook it and so have lost a lot of beneficial bacteria associated with processing raw meat and resistance to some diseases carried by it.
Why can we eat fish raw? Because the saline conditions of marine fish make it less likely to carry anything nasty. Salt is a preservative, it dehydrates things and thus makes it harder for bacteria or pathogens to survive.

Leon_C
11-20-2012, 09:58 PM
No longer necessary? Well sure; you can survive on vegetation alone, but vegetation mixed in with moderate quantities of meat is always better. Have you ever seen how ill some vegans look from avoiding animal products? If animal protein wasn't necessary to humans then why are they suffering from a lack of it?
Go to practically any vegan forum and you'll find them there talking about unusual crops such as quinoa and banging on about how much protein whatever it is has. They really have to take into account their diet much more than other people because essentially a normal diet devoid of animal products would be lacking. We also see a lot of supplements marketed at vegans - supplements? So basically their diet is so deficient they need artificial substances to help them survive.

You can eat anything raw. Humans just prefer things cooked (and it's safer). We used to eat raw meat of any kind (some cultures still do). But in most societies we cook it and so have lost a lot of beneficial bacteria associated with processing raw meat and resistance to some diseases carried by it.
Why can we eat fish raw? Because the saline conditions of marine fish make it less likely to carry anything nasty. Salt is a preservative, it dehydrates things and thus makes it harder for bacteria or pathogens to survive.

Go ahead and eat raw meat then if it's good for you! Go out and kill yourself a cow and rip it apart with your talons and enormous canines!

Albion
11-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Go ahead and eat raw meat then if it's good for you! Go out and kill yourself a cow and rip it apart with your talons and enormous canines!

Sigh. Read what I wrote and reply properly. Humans are thought to have evolved as scavengers, a reason why we're not particularly adapted to rip apart animals without tools.
Do you eat fish alive? (Well, some Japanese do - what is more barbaric - watching someone eat a live squid {yes, I know it's not a fish} or watching someone eat a steak?
Some types of vegetable can't be eaten raw because it's hard to digest them or they contain poisons that have to be neutralised by cooking.

You should know these things without me having to explain them. Before committing to silly fads, people first should research what they involve and the arguments for and against.
You've shown the typical veggie backlash - make a childish argument when someone seriously questions your ill-founded belief.
I've barely even started yet.

Leon_C
11-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Sigh. Read what I wrote and reply properly. Humans are thought to have evolved as scavengers, a reason why we're not particularly adapted to rip apart animals without tools.
Do you eat fish alive? (Well, some Japanese do - what is more barbaric - watching someone eat a live squid {yes, I know it's not a fish} or watching someone eat a steak?
Some types of vegetable can't be eaten raw because it's hard to digest them or they contain poisons that have to be neutralised by cooking.

You should know these things without me having to explain them. Before committing to silly fads, people first should research what they involve and the arguments for and against.
You've shown the typical veggie backlash - make a childish argument when someone seriously questions your ill-founded belief.
I've barely even started yet.

It's your choice! I've committed to the fad and I'm sticking with it because I seen no ill effects, only positives, you can't come to conclusions based on facts and discoveries other people have made alone, you have to experiment for yourself, and this is what I am doing, it is hard to put into words, but I just feel more clean inside now than I ever have, my acne, which was previously very bad has cleared, I've noticed strength and muscle mass gains at the gym recently too. In my opinion and from my own experimentation and findings my diet is proving better for me. Perhaps it wouldn't work for everyone, but for me it does, can we leave it at this, does this conclusion please you?

Albion
11-20-2012, 10:30 PM
I've committed to the fad and I'm sticking with it because I seen no ill effects, only positives, you can't come to conclusions based on facts and discoveries other people have made alone, you have to experiment for yourself, and this is what I am doing, it is hard to put into words, but I just feel more clean inside now than I ever have,

I have tried myself. On a no meat diet I felt bloated, had a lack of energy and was tired and depressed. Eating a light meal of meat and some green veg brings almost immediate results - I feel more energetic and don't have the bloated, tired feeling associated with huge intakes of vegetation.

my acne, which was previously very bad has cleared,

Testosterone plays a part in that...

I've noticed strength and muscle mass gains from going to the gym recently too.

and in that.

In my opinion and from my own experimentation and findings my diet is proving better for me. Perhaps it wouldn't work for everyone, but for me it does, can we leave it at this, does this conclusion please you?

Yes, fine.

Vasa
11-20-2012, 10:45 PM

Im more of a strongman-type.

Demhat
11-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Some muscles are easy to be developed,for example the muscles of the back,the muscles from your shoulders.
Other muscles are harder to develop for example the muscles from the chest.
Other muscles are even harder to develop,for example biceps.

If you have good genetics muscles are easy to develop everywhere. Even with bad genetics you can develop good muscles only slower.

generally the triceps grows fast. By me the muscles grew relatively fast. it was the back, chest and shoulders which grow stronger relatively fast too.

Fortis in Arduis
11-20-2012, 11:11 PM
I am not able to suck my own cock. It is not long enough.

(Not that I care.) :)

Leon_C
11-20-2012, 11:14 PM
I am not able to suck my own cock. It isn't long enough. :(

Me neither, either it's too small or I need to stretch more :eek:

Fortis in Arduis
11-20-2012, 11:24 PM
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk294/fortis28/fortisbender.jpg

This is the strongest possible forward stretch the human body can achieve. It is most refreshing.

Blackout
11-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Not really a dedicated weight lifter, but I can bench 100kg no problems!

Arthas
11-21-2012, 06:57 AM
Not really a dedicated weight lifter, but I can bench 100kg no problems!

Not bad...

mysticism
11-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Giga Nigga? Giga Nigga.

http://static4.fjcdn.com/comments/giga+nigga+smells+nuggets+only+_e34b3a1c9d255a7ecb 534b295ccc114b.jpg

Maybe arthas can outline a meal regiment to get Giga-sized.

Osprey
11-21-2012, 07:10 AM
flexibilityand speed should NOT be sacrificed for bulk. Thus train but don't overtrain and don't take any supplements. Be natural and eat natural. A healthy combination of veggies, meat and dairy can prove really good.

morski
11-21-2012, 08:51 AM

I take it you never tried this, then:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Filet_americain.JPG

EagleAtHeart
11-21-2012, 08:59 AM

As someone that's been involved in combat sports since childhood, I know neither body is ideal for combat.

Muscle and fat take up lots of oxygen, and fighting is the most cardio intensive activity you can do. Skinny guys built like marathon runners are actually the best fit for fighting. Something like this:
http://www.devotedmma.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Anderson-Silva-UFC-.jpg

Now, you're going to say a heavyweight could easily destroy him, yeah, in a short duration fight. But in a natural fight with no limits the heavyweight would have to beat him within a few minutes or he would be totally gassed out.

EagleAtHeart
11-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Now back on topic:

I train in Boxing, MMA, etc. I never lift weights, but live a regimented lifestyle that's comparable to a bodybuilders.

I eat a strict Paleo Diet (I think all Europeans should), take lots of supplements, and work out 5 days / week.

I've been doing this since I was a kid. My grandfather was a boxer and got me and my brother training when we were young so that we knew how to defend ourselves. I boxed in a golden gloves tournament when I was 16 but never really pursued it after. I became friends with Carlos Newton (former UFC welterweight champion) who trained at a gym around the corner from where I lived and he introduced me to MMA which I've been avidly training in for 5 years now with him. This is my body type:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/jj68/Picture012ttttb2a.jpg

morski
11-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Now back on topic:

I train in Boxing, MMA, etc. I never lift weights, but live a regimented lifestyle that's comparable to a bodybuilders.

I eat a strict Paleo Diet (I think all Europeans should), take lots of supplements, and work out 5 days / week.

I've been doing this since I was a kid. My grandfather was a boxer and got me and my brother training when we were young so that we knew how to defend ourselves. I boxed in a golden gloves tournament when I was 16 but never really pursued it after. I became friends with Carlos Newton (former UFC welterweight champion) who trained at a gym around the corner from where I lived and he introduced me to MMA which I've been avidly training in for 5 years now with him. This is my body type:

I'd totally underestimate you seeing you in the street.:D

EagleAtHeart
11-21-2012, 09:26 AM
I'd totally underestimate you seeing you in the street.:D

Well, I'm 6'2, so I'm not totally unassuming :)

EagleAtHeart
11-21-2012, 09:53 AM
And when i said i take lots of supplements, i think I should post a pic of my dresser in my apartment to prove I'm not joking:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/jj68/fgjhfvhkhk.jpg

There's lots more in the closet and kitchen lol

Fortis in Arduis
11-21-2012, 09:56 AM
And when i said i take lots of supplements, i think I should post a pic of my dresser in my apartment to prove I'm not joking:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/jj68/fgjhfvhkhk.jpg

There's lots more in the closet and kitchen lol

WTF? :eek:

Baldur
11-21-2012, 09:57 AM
How long time will it take to see a difference? I workout 3 times a week in a gym and have been doing so for atleast 6 months now.

Arthas
11-21-2012, 10:28 AM
How long time will it take to see a difference? I workout 3 times a week in a gym and have been doing so for atleast 6 months now.

Depends how much you eat. You will never gain a significant amount of muscle unless you eat more calories than your body needs.

Corvus
11-21-2012, 01:45 PM
I am not a bodybuilder but I try to integrate some effective cross training in my daily routine

I do this abdominal exercises every 2nd day:

Qy4veWr0Cq8

Additionally I do 300 push ups and 50 pull ups everyday and I go for a decent run 3 times a week (normally 10K in hilly terrain) or swimming (1K butterfly)

So I just train with my own bodyweight but it is sufficent for me and it already payed dividends because I have really progressed physically the last year.

I also pay attention to my nutrition. I eat meat or fish everyday to gain proteines, and I try to consume in total about 3000 calories a day which is necessary because of my fast metabolism.

Arthas
11-21-2012, 01:57 PM
I am not a bodybuilder but I try to integrate some effective cross training in my daily routine

I do this abdominal exercises every 2nd day:

Qy4veWr0Cq8

Additionally I do 300 push ups and 50 pull ups everyday and I go for a decent run 3 times a week (normally 10K in hilly terrain) or swimming (1K butterfly)

So I just train with my own bodyweight but it is sufficent for me and it already payed dividends because I have really progressed physically the last year.

I also pay attention to my nutrition. I eat meat or fish everyday to gain proteines, and I try to consume in total about 3000 calories a day which is necessary because of my fast metabolism.

I don't wanna sound like a dick, but you would get so much better results if you did proper weight training. :)

Corvus
11-21-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't wanna sound like a dick, but you would get so much better results if you did proper weight training. :)

Perhaps, but it would cost me more money and take more time

Leon_C
11-21-2012, 02:12 PM

If you want endurance and core strength weightlifting is not always the best option, bodybuilders are mainly using their show off muscles. There are guys with whom I go to Judo who look tiny, and are light as feathers but can hurl me over their head like a sack of potatoes. They don't do weightlifting they just have great speed, flexibility and core strength. It depends on your goals really, I want a bit of size to bulk out my scrawny frame but I don't want to sacrifice flexibility and speed.

Arthas
11-21-2012, 05:18 PM
If you want endurance and core strength weightlifting is not always the best option, bodybuilders are mainly using their show off muscles. There are guys with whom I go to Judo who look tiny, and are light as feathers but can hurl me over their head like a sack of potatoes. They don't do weightlifting they just have great speed, flexibility and core strength. It depends on your goals really, I want a bit of size to bulk out my scrawny frame but I don't want to sacrifice flexibility and speed.

You can gain much better core strength with weights. You can also train much much much much more effectively for strength using weights.

q4jO21-a2W0

Leon_C
11-21-2012, 05:23 PM
You can gain much better core strength with weights. You can also train much much much much more effectively for strength using weights.

q4jO21-a2W0

There are different kinds of strength, someone who has been doing a martial art of gymnastics for most of his life will have built up all of the smaller muscle groups proportionally to the larger ones, and the end result is someone with great control over their body weight and great gymnastic strength and agility.

Arthas
11-21-2012, 05:37 PM
There are different kinds of strength, someone who has been doing a martial art of gymnastics for most of his life will have built up all of the smaller muscle groups proportionally to the larger ones, and the end result is someone with great control over their body weight and great gymnastic strength and agility.

Likewise with powerlifters. They have to train their whole body otherwise they wouldn't be able to lift much.

Deadlift + Squat + Benchpress = Full-body exercise when put together

Clean&Jerk = Full-body exercise with more emphasis on sheer strength

Snatch = Full-body exercise with more emphasis on explosive power

Leon_C
11-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Likewise with powerlifters. They have to train their whole body otherwise they wouldn't be able to lift much.

Deadlift + Squat + Benchpress = Full-body exercise when put together

Clean&Jerk = Full-body exercise

Snatch = Full-body exercise

Yes I do deadlifts and I'm always tired out afterwards, and I can only do about 130kg

Caismeachd
11-21-2012, 05:59 PM
I used to do it fairly seriously for a few years but can't anymore because of back surgery.

I just do HIIT and calisthenics now.

Arthas
11-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Yes I do deadlifts and I'm always tired out afterwards, and I can only do about 130kg

Deadlifts are the ultimate show of strength. It's a shame I will never be able to deadlift much, because once you get to the heavy weights it's all about the core muscles.

Leon_C
11-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Deadlifts are the ultimate show of strength. It's a shame I will never be able to deadlift much, because once you get to the heavy weights it's all about the core muscles.

I don't fancy doing any heavier than 130kg I want to keep my back intact + my goal isn't having enormous muscle my goal weight is 200lbs I think that is realistic and would be ideal for someone my height, I can be slender and strong.

Arthas
11-21-2012, 06:33 PM
I don't fancy doing any heavier than 130kg I want to keep my back intact + my goal isn't having enormous muscle my goal weight is 200lbs I think that is realistic and would be ideal for someone my height, I can be slender and strong.

Fair enough. My goal, if I stay at my current height, is about 200lbs SHREDDED.

Good news, I think my right arm is better now. I'll find out for certain tomorrow. Back/Arms tomorrow (my favourite day) plus I'm going with a mate so we'll probably end up doing some DB presses

Welter
11-21-2012, 06:36 PM
I hit the gym. But only to increase endurance and asskickery.

The military already gave me strength i needed...

Also to give my body something 'extreme' to do, when i don't have any wrestler available at the gym.

Leon_C
11-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Fair enough. My goal, if I stay at my current height, is about 200lbs SHREDDED.

Good news, I think my right arm is better now. I'll find out for certain tomorrow. Back/Arms tomorrow (my favourite day) plus I'm going with a mate so we'll probably end up doing some DB presses

I'm glad to hear you have recovered I did back and triceps earlier today, abs and shoulders is my favourite day, I just love working abs for some reason

EagleAtHeart
11-21-2012, 06:38 PM

I like cross fit/cross training. It will give you more of an endurance/anaerobic kick instead of weight training. But if you're just looking for mass weight training is probably better

Dacul
11-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Heavy weight training is making your bones and your chest with the internal organs from it - lungs and heart- develop.
Since you need more oxygen and more blood,heart and lungs are also developing.

Arthas
11-21-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm glad to hear you have recovered I did back and triceps earlier today, abs and shoulders is my favourite day, I just love working abs for some reason

Yeah, I'm on an imbalanced split atm that basically gives me more growth in my priority areas (chest + arms) and makes me look forward to back and leg days.

Tuesday - Chest/Shoulders/Arms
Wednesday - Legs/Core
Thursday - Back/Arms
Saturday - Chest/Shoulders/Arms
Sunday - Legs/Core

When I start going to a proper weightlifting gym in December, I will move on to this split:

Tuesday - Push
Wednesday - Pull
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Push
Saturday - Pull
Sunday - Legs

Arthas
11-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Heavy weight training is making your bones and your chest with the internal organs from it - lungs and heart- develop.
Since you need more oxygen and more blood,heart and lungs are also developing.

And that's one of the reasons I am anti-cardio.

1.) What you just said. It works the cardio system pretty hard. If you're not sweating and shaking, you're not lifting enough.

2.) It burns calories and will either reduce muscle gains if you're bulking, or increase muscle loss if you're cutting.

Leon_C
11-21-2012, 06:52 PM
And that's one of the reasons I am anti-cardio.

1.) What you just said. It works the cardio system pretty hard. If you're not sweating and shaking, you're not lifting enough.

2.) It burns calories and will either reduce muscle gains if you're bulking, or increase muscle loss if you're cutting.

I use cardio now and again, I don't like to have long phases without much cardio, but when I do do cardio I tend to do sprinting or sprint/jog/sprint/jog type of thing and I don't usually run for more than 20 minutes at a time. I have a friend who has a terrible diet, and his gym routine consists of running for two hours straight 4 days a week. Maybe he'll become a marathon runner...

Albion
11-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Have you ever tried hemp protein, Arthas? I saw some in H&B the other day and looked it up, apparently it's quite good. This also related to my thread about hemp as a crop. (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1168221#post1168221)

Here's something from one manufacturer's site:

NATURAL - NON BLOATING - ALL-IN-ONE PROTEIN
Natural

Hemp Protein is grown without any herbicides or pesticides right here in the UK. No preservatives or other chemicals are used in the production process of our hemp protein powder. It is cold-pressed, which also means that there is absolutely no heat involved in the process of making hemp protein.

It is the most natural and complete, plant-based protein available.

Our Hemp Shakes such as GYM Shake and FIT Shake also contains 100% natural ingredients.

Easily Digestible

Hemp protein doesn't cause you any tummy problems or bloating effect. The Hemp Protein in our GOOD Shakes contains 65% Edistin, a globular protein which is ideal for the body to metablise. This is the highest amongst all plant proteins.

Also Hemp protein is more readily digestible than soy protein because it does not contain enzyme inhibitors or phytates.

All-in-One & Complete

Not only is Hemp Protein rich in Protein but it is also rich in Omega 3 (EFA) and Fibre.

First of all, Hemp Protein contains all the amino acids - including the 10 essential amino acids (EAAs). It is a very balanced source of Protein. One serving of GYM Shake will give you over 18g of Protein for example.

Unlike Whey or Soya, the complete protein of hemp seed is rich in heart-healthy fats. One serving of GYM Shakes gives 46% of the recommended daily intake of Omega 3. Hemp has got a perfect 1:3 ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6, like no other plant saurce on the Planet. That's the precise ratio that would be found in a nutritionally balanced diet. These Essential Fats are essential for the body and needs to come from our diet.

GOOD Hemp Protein is rich in source of Dietary Fibre. This is required for healthy digestion and keeps you fuller for longer. This is ideal to get leaner.

Hypoallergenic and Vegan

Hemp protein is a great source of complete protein and omega 3, ideal to complement the vegetarian and vegan diets.

It is also ideal for those with lactose, gluten, peanut and soya allergies. In fact Hemp contains no known allergens.

No Cholesterol

Unlike Whey or eggs, Hemp contains no cholesterol. If you take Protein supplements in large quantities, this can be significant.

Hemp protein is the most complete source of protein in the plant kingdom, naturally rich in all the essential amino acids, fatty acids (with the optimal balance of Omega-3 to Omega-6) and dietary fibre. We use advanced cold-pressing technique to preserve the hemp seed goodness. We grow hemp plants right here in the UK and our range is the first 100% natural, home grown supplement brand.

Hemp protein offers several advantages:

It is a complete protein (like meat) including all the Essential Amino Acids (EAAs).

Extreamly fast absorption with benefits to athletes.

Hemp protein contains 65% Edistin*– the highest percentage amongst all plant-based proteins.

Easily digestable and won't cause intestinal toximia like many whey products.

Has a beneficial PH balance and won't cause unnecessary catabolic acidity like soy or whey products.

And while protein is a crucial component for muscle repair and building, so too are essential fatty acids (Omega-3 and Omega-6), vitamins, minerals, fibre, enzymes, probiotics, antioxidants and a host of other nutritional components - all found in hemp protein.

Powerful source of dietary fiber.

Grown naturally and sustainably in the UK without the need for pesticides and herbicides

Because hemp protein is raw, all the fatty acids including Omega-3 and GLA are preserved. In fact, hemp is the only protein naturally containing Omega-3. These Essential Fatty Acids contribute towards general health, and specifically help circulation, the heart, hair and skin, joints and the immune system.

Hemp does not contain the dioxins and toxins often found in oily fish, making it a unique source of the long chain fatty acids.It’s also free from dairy, gluten, and soy, and contains no artificial flavours or colouring. Hemp as a crop is also beneficial to the environment - click here to find out why.

Unlike Whey or Soya, it doesn’t make you feel bloated, even after having a shake before and after workout. It makes you feel light so you can train harder. The nutrient-dense, alkaline-forming nutrition found in plant-based whole foods and supplements is truly the best building material available for constructing strong muscle cells.

http://www.goodhempnutrition.com/img/cms/Hemp-vs-Whey-vs-Soya.png

HEMP PROTEIN

Well we wouldn’t grow and produce hemp protein if we didn’t believe it was the best! 
WHEY PROTEIN

While certainly the amino acid profile and protein efficiency ration of whey protein is favorable, the allergic reaction and general indigestibility make this a very poor option for most people when it comes to protein. Occasionally linked to intestinal toxemia (a sludge that builds up in the intestines, preventing the optimal absorption of nutrients) whey protein also leads to excessive gas and bloatedness in a many individuals. Whey protein is one of the cheapest proteins to source, and is extremely high in protein when measured by mass so it is quite common in nutritional shakes. But our recommendation is to steer clear.

Side-by-Side comparison Hemp vs Whey here
SOY PROTEIN

Soy protein has several glaring problems as a food source. Recent evidence suggests that the more soy protein you eat, the more likely you are to develop allergies to it — and the more severe those allergies are likely to become. Soy also blocks the absorption of important minerals such as calcium unless the phytates have been removed, and soy contains high levels of phytoestrogens, which although beneficial in moderate amounts, can be counter-productive in large amounts — particularly for children.

In addition, although its biological value is not bad at 70-80%, it’s net protein utilization at 61% is quite low. In fact, unless it has been fermented, soy protein contains potent enzyme inhibitors that block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion. This can create significant amounts of gas, in addition to promoting pathological conditions of the pancreas. As a side note, soy protein was once considered a waste product of the soy oil industry and used almost exclusively as cattle feed.

Side-by-Side comparison Hemp vs Soya here

Other proteins:

Brown Rice & Pea Protein

Used in combination, Rice and Pea protein is an excellent choice. While it doesn’t contain the same power packed benefits of hemp, it certainly has some very positive attributes. Rice protein is high in cysteine and methionine, but tends to be low in lysine. Yellow pea protein, on the other hand, tends to be low in the sulfur containing amino acids, cysteine and methionine — but high in lysine. The bottom line is that when used in combination, rice protein and yellow pea protein offer a Protein Efficiency Ratio that begins to rival dairy and egg — but without their potential to promote allergic reactions. In addition, the texture of pea protein helps smooth out the “chalkiness” of rice protein. Like rice protein, it is hypoallergenic and easily digested. The rice/pea combo also has a nice branch chain amino acid profile as well.

I might try it and use it alongside creatine. I don't want to be huge, just have a decent build.

Hàkon
11-21-2012, 10:42 PM
The six principles of strenght/ weight training

Why do some experience rapid progress with their strength training while others do not?
We are all aware it is not as simple as there being one answer.

Provided that genetics, motivation, diet and execution is optimized, the result can still vary depending on how the training is structured and what the underlying thoughts are.

In order to optimize the structure, one has to take the six principles of strength training into account: specificity, progression, duration, regularity and periodization.

Only performing the actual training is not enough; A lot of planning is required to become stronger, more explosive, more muscular etc.

Following are the six principles, put shortly, for one to achive realistic goals.

The principle of specificity

This principle is about always training in a way and with exercises that go hand in hand with what one, in the long run, wants to accomplish with the training.

If you are a length jumper, strength exercises that resemble the motion in the jump are most suitable, if you are a powerlifter it is appropriate that you train with maximum strength (1-3 reps. on 85-100% of 1 RM) with the same exercises that you compete in.

The principle of specificity is all about getting good at what you train.

In order to train specifically it is required that the exercises fit the goal with the strength training correctly:
To train with the right amount of repetitions, to train within the right load range, to have the right amount of rest between the sets and exercises, to work in the right movement angle and muscle length and to work with the right eccentric and concentric movement speed.

(I will wright more on pragmatic training another day.)

The principle of progression

In order to keep improving one has to train progressively, which means that you increase the load, the training dose and the number of exercises.

A regular exerciser can make progress with 1 training session/ week, but an elite athlete has to up the dose 4-5 times in order to develop further.

The principle of duration

Duration means the length of a session.

For the training to have effect, the sessions have to last for a longer time (>44 minutes), but they must not be any longer than 2 hours since the glycogen stores do not last longer and the abilities to perform and concentrate are severely impaired at that point.

The principle of regularity

The title speaks for itself.

One might think that regularity is given in order for the training to take effect, but ironically it is often the lack of regularity in training that cause strength exercisers to never make progress.

A way to avoid it from happening is to make the training into a everyday habit – something you simply do not compromise with.

See the training as an investment in health, just like brushing your teeth is good for your dental health.

The principle of restitution

Restitution consists of rest, sleep, diet and restitution training between training sessions.

It is during the restitution that the glycogen stores are replenished, the muscle cells are repaired and “grow”, and waste products are disposed of.

Restitution is thus a fundamental prerequisite for getting a result out of strength training.
In order to experience improvement in performance balance must exists between the depleting effect of training and the time of restitution.

The time of restitution after a training session can vary from 1-6 days depending on the type of training, work load and the recovery measures taken.

(I will write more on restitution another day.)

Maximum strength training requires the longest restitution time, up to 6 days, while low-intensity aerobic exercise requires 6 h – 1 ½ days.

Research suggests that hard training individuals and elite athletes should preferably have one day of rest per week to achieve a full recovery.

A tip for hard-training individuals is not to underestimate the effect of restitution, refrain from a workout if you feel worn out in order for the body to recover.

The principle of periodization

Periodization means that one divides the strength training into different periods at the annual planning.

This is done in order to connect with the purpose with the training, to avoid risking overtraining or end up on plateaus and to achieve top form at the right time.

Examples:

Periodization based on the type of training.

In strength training the training is often divided by exercise; first you train hypertrophic endurance (ca. 15 repetitions per set), then hypertrophic strength (ca. 6-8 repetitions per set) and lastly maximum strength training.

This is also common in sports that require explosiveness.
Basic training usually starts with endurance training, then the focus shifts to muscle volume training, then maximum strength training and lastly explosive strength training and speed strength training.

The length of the different periods varies from 3-10 weeks depending on the sport.
This type of periodization prepares the body to absorb maximum strength training in the best possible way.

In addition, the body is not capable of training maximum strength every day.

Periodization based on intensity.

During the period of basic training, it is not unusual to structure the training by increasing the intensity gradually during 4 weeks.

The first week is medium hard, the following is hard, the third is very hard and the last week is a “rest week” with easy training, such as restitution training.

This strategy aims at achieving the effect of the very hard training period without getting overtrained. The “rest week” plays a major role here.

References

Annerstedt, C. & Gjerset, A. (1997). Idrottens träningslära. SISU Idrottsböcker.

Baechle, TR. & Earle, RW. (2000). Essentials of strength training and conditioning. Human Kinetics.

Carlstedt, J. (2008). Styrketräning för att bli snabb, stark eller uthållig. SISU Idrottsböcker.

kreesey
11-22-2012, 07:45 AM

Arthas
11-22-2012, 08:06 AM

Everyone is naturally predisposed to build muscle. It's a basic bodily function.

Absinthe
11-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Who are you? Are you a spammer?

Can you explain how your post is an exact word-to-word duplicate of this (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1171197&postcount=5) post by another user?

Yes, I have good memory.

wp1905
11-22-2012, 01:45 PM
My name is Milton,I'm 71 years old but am told that I look much younger.I work out almost everyday for over 2 years.I've lost 50 lbs.,and have really muscled up

arcticwolf
11-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Oh. Where do I begin? Here is the scoop. You wanna train for functional strength endurance. That's what really counts in life.

You wanna learn from guys like Arthur Saxon, pound for pound the strongest man we know about. Read his books.

This is what a real man looks like, for you metros and dweebs. :laugh:

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/3571/asaxon2qx4.gif

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk follow this link you can learn all about the old masters and how they trained and why they were so incredibly strong.

In short, train strength endurance, train your tendons your strength depends on it. Train your grip, leave the biceps alone for a while and train your forearms, develop steel grip. Train your hips, you are only as strong as your hips are. Leave the pecs alone, they add little value to strength, look at the truly strong men of old, none of them had big pecs. Those were real men they did not care about showing off.

Stay flexible, but DO NOT do stretches that go beyond the joint's full ROM, you'll be stretching ligaments, and stretched ligaments is bad news for strength. Stretched ligaments means loose, weak and prone to injuries joints.

Learn from Russian masters, as they preserved the lore of old masters and improved on it. Use kettlebells, they will do your body good.

Eat real food, be natural. Maybe one day you'll beat Arthur Saxon's world record in one handed overhead lift of 370 pounds, it's 100 years old, one of you tigers should be able to best the old man. :laugh:

Arthas
11-22-2012, 03:31 PM
No offense but I don't give a shit about strength.

The human body is a form of art. I want to make mine in to a masterpiece.

Absinthe
11-22-2012, 03:48 PM
This form Vs strength (http://forum.ronnie.cz/images/uploads/img_1335969768_1.jpg) debate is quite funny.

Of course in a rural setting nobody cares about form and aesthetics; strength is what it takes to survive in harsh conditions and manual labour such as farming, etc.

On the other hand in a modern urban setting who cares about strength? What do you need strength for, moving the furniture? Others are usually paid to do that for you :p

Also strength will not help you in life threatening situations because you will be attacked by a gang of thugs bearing weapons and you'd have better chances if you can run fast rather than if you are strong (cause no matter how strong, you cannot take out 5-6 people singlehandedly).

So yeah, body building is an urban thing, it's a fad for urban people who usually have desk jobs and not much access to nature, to sculpture their body for aesthetic reasons alone; it has nothing to do with being strong or fighting bears in the woods, so the comparison does not apply and is unfortunate, imo. :wink

Albion
11-22-2012, 03:57 PM
This form Vs strength (http://forum.ronnie.cz/images/uploads/img_1335969768_1.jpg) debate is quite funny.

Here's the full version:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4213/abref.jpg

papa diddy pop
11-22-2012, 03:58 PM
I can lift myself with my phallus.:cool:

Fortis in Arduis
11-22-2012, 04:19 PM
So yeah, body building is an urban thing, it's a fad for urban people who usually have desk jobs and not much access to nature, to sculpture their body for aesthetic reasons alone; it has nothing to do with being strong or fighting bears in the woods, so the comparison does not apply and is unfortunate, imo. :wink

There is that other thing though.

You see, there are people who find that unless they obsess about something healthy, they obsess about unhealthy things like rich foods, booze, tobacco, various types of painkilling and anaesthetic drugs, and dodgy stimulants.

These types tend to flake out on their friends and families.

I can think of a few addictions which are worse than bodybuilding.

Absinthe
11-22-2012, 04:27 PM
There is that other thing though.

You see, there are people who find that unless they obsess about something healthy, they obsess about unhealthy things like rich foods, booze, tobacco, various types of painkilling and anaesthetic drugs, and dodgy stimulants.

These types tend to flake out on their friends and families.

I can think of a few addictions which are worse than bodybuilding.
I didn't refer to body building as an (unhealthy) addiction in my previous post; but rather as a life style trend, not a bad one at all, surely better than other lifestyle trends that are in fashion right now. :)

Arthas
11-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Here's the full version:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4213/abref.jpg

That image is the biggest load of ignorant crap I've ever seen. It kind of misses the whole point that BODYBUILDERS DON'T TRAIN FOR STRENGTH.

arcticwolf
11-22-2012, 04:39 PM

Of course in a rural setting nobody cares about form and aesthetics; strength is what it takes to survive in harsh conditions and manual labour such as farming, etc.

On the other hand in a modern urban setting who cares about strength? What do you need strength for, moving the furniture? Others are usually paid to do that for you :p

Also strength will not help you in life threatening situations because you will be attacked by a gang of thugs bearing weapons and you'd have better chances if you can run fast rather than if you are strong (cause no matter how strong, you cannot take out 5-6 people singlehandedly).

Oh Sweetheart! :D

I really don't care what hipsters say, but you love are so wrong here. :p
Strength endurance translates to the ability to work very hard for a very long time without getting fatigued. It is the most important ability of the human body! Period!

You have never seen a very strong man I presume? ;)

You'd melt in the arms of a strong man, no metro can give you what strong man can! Oh honey you are so oblivious to the facts of life! :laugh:

You are so young you will appreciate finer things in life later on. There is no rush! :D

Fortis in Arduis
11-22-2012, 05:07 PM
This thread is one of the most important threads that I have read in a long time.

Bodybuilders know everything about their bodies, and what is more important in life than that?

So what? I am trying to weight-train as an adjunct to my yoga practise, which means that I am really looking for endurance, and to take my mind off the sybaritic pleasures of life that I have plagued me from the day I was conceived. :(

But put that violin away... :)

What about survival? Do we want to become old and weak, or do we want to be happy, strong and healthy?

The urbanite is fortunate in that he has greater control over his environment, and his body and every self-respecting urbanite should keep his body in check.

Dacul
11-22-2012, 05:19 PM
I would love to gain a lot of strength,not carrying too much about definition.

Dacul
11-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Arthas you should know that abstaining from sex (including fapping/watching porn) or at least limiting sex is greatly help at body building and also at weight lifting.
Abstain from sex/fapping/watching porn and you get your testosterone levels going wild,meh.
That (higher level of testosterone) helps greatly at gaining mass and force.

Welter
11-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Hey bro! Arthas workout routine is perfect! Just don't forget to take 200 grams of protein per day! More biceps workout man! chicks LOVE biceps! :cool:

Dacul
11-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Hey bro! Arthas workout routine is perfect! Just don't forget to take 200 grams of protein per day! More biceps workout man! chicks LOVE biceps! :cool:

Lol,who told you that?
You can assimilate max 0.6 grams of proteins per kilo of your body per day.
So you have 70 kilos,max 42 grams of proteins (sure I am talking about very good proteins,like those from milk/eggs which have a very high proteic value).
Ok for 70kilos body weigth,70gr of proteins,considering you are eating not so great proteins.
What is essential is to drink a lot of fluids (milk is great,also natural juice, water with honey and so on) because you gain muscles most of them is composed of water.
And besides that,eat a lot of good carbohydrates since if you do not eat enough of those,your proteins will be used to make energy.
Carbohydrates are most easy to assimilate if you eat too many proteins you risk to damage your kidneys/liver.
As for most chicks loving biceps,I think you are wrong again here,why you do not make a poll on "dating..." section of this forum to see what muscles from a man women appreciate most?

Welter
11-23-2012, 02:14 AM
Lol,who told you that?
You can assimilate max 0.6 grams of proteins per kilo of your body per day.
So you have 70 kilos,max 42 grams of proteins (sure I am talking about very good proteins,like those from milk/eggs which have a very high proteic value).
Ok for 70kilos body weigth,70gr of proteins,considering you are eating not so great proteins.
What is essential is to drink a lot of fluids (milk is great,also natural juice, water with honey and so on) because you gain muscles most of them is composed of water.
And besides that,eat a lot of good carbohydrates since if you do not eat enough of those,your proteins will be used to make energy.
Carbohydrates are most easy to assimilate if you eat too many proteins you risk to damage your kidneys/liver.
As for most chicks loving biceps,I think you are wrong again here,why you do not make a poll on "dating..." section of this forum to see what muscles from a man women appreciate most?

I applaud your patience for writing all this mumbo jumbo.

That is not my opinion... I already gave my opinion on bodybuilding in another post.

I'm just giving an advice to the 17 year old kid that has a Zyzz homage in his signature.

The guy just wants to get some tail at the university. nothing else. At least when a chav hit him right in the chin and he gets knocked out cold, he can blame the "not so great" proteins.

Arthas
11-23-2012, 08:15 AM

:picard2:

Arthas
11-23-2012, 08:16 AM
I applaud your patience for writing all this mumbo jumbo.

That is not my opinion... I already gave my opinion on bodybuilding in another post.

I'm just giving an advice to the 17 year old kid that has a Zyzz homage in his signature.

The guy just wants to get some tail at the university. nothing else. At least when a chav hit him right in the chin and he gets knocked out cold, he can blame the "not so great" proteins.

You're unbelievably detached from reality if you think bodybuilders do it "to get the girls". I know the type of people you're talking about, the ones who only do biceps and chest... They're idiots, we laugh at them just as much as you do.

Leon_C
11-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Is this a flame war now?

Osprey
11-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Chavs are not even that strong....

Lux Aeterna
11-23-2012, 08:22 AM
:picard2:

I love how you changed your reply from "Curls for gurls!!" when you realised he was making fun of you :lol:

Arthas
11-23-2012, 08:27 AM
I love how you changed your reply from "Curls for gurls!!" when you realised he was making fun of you :lol:

I realised he is so stupid that there is no point trying to play along with his trolling.

Arthas
11-26-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm moving to another gym. Paid for the first month today, signed a 6 month contract too.

It has barbells (unlike my current gym), a squat rack (unlike my current gym), better machines, and better dumbbells. It's also 24 hours!

Albion
12-02-2012, 11:39 PM
That image is the biggest load of ignorant crap I've ever seen. It kind of misses the whole point that BODYBUILDERS DON'T TRAIN FOR STRENGTH.

Well it suggests vanity to train solely for looks alone. To be honest I'd prefer strength as well.

Arthas
12-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Feeling pretty happy lately. Reached my original goal of 150lbs, and I've noticed that my back in particular has gotten quite big. Also moved to a much better gym which is open 24/7 and is almost empty all the time. :D

d3cimat3d
12-11-2012, 09:33 AM

Lol you're not going to be 180 by next August. It gets harder to gain muscle as you progress.

Arthas
12-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Lol you're not going to be 180 by next August. It gets harder to gain muscle as you progress.

I disagree. Plenty of people with my body type have consistently gained 3-5lbs per month for a year, if not longer - with minimal fat gain.

On another note, I'm really happy atm! Had a great day at the gym and I tried on one of my brother's t-shirts and I look pretty muscular in it, it's only just hit me how much progress I've made :D

Corvus
12-11-2012, 10:35 AM

I am already at 176lb without bodybuilding. In spring I stucked at 150lb :p

Arthas
12-11-2012, 10:58 AM
I am already at 176lb without bodybuilding. In spring I stucked at 150lb :p

You work out? Or is it fat lol

Also how tall are you? 176lbs isn't much for someone over 6'

Corvus
12-11-2012, 11:06 AM
You work out? Or is it fat lol

Also how tall are you? 176lbs isn't much for someone over 6'

Yeah I work out on a regular basis, but also gained a bit of fat to be honest. I am 6' 4"

Arthas
12-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Yeah I work out on a regular basis, but also gained a bit of fat to be honest. I am 6' 4"

Hmmmm, that's a very nice height but 176lbs isn't big for 6'4" :p

I have a mate who is about 175lbs but he is 5'7", and he is so muscular that he looks obese when he's wearing clothes.

d3cimat3d
12-11-2012, 09:10 PM
I disagree. Plenty of people with my body type have consistently gained 3-5lbs per month for a year, if not longer - with minimal fat gain.

Well it might be possible if you train your legs too.
I been working out seriously for 1.5 years and I'm only 186 @ 5'11 height, but all I do is upper body.

Dacul
12-11-2012, 09:26 PM
I can confirm that what Strmstsn posted,about the number of repetitions is correct.
Doing 1-3 repetitions in 3 series (or more) with 85%+ of the maximum weight you can lift provides very good progression in force&mass.
Also it provides very nice physical stamina (resistance).
Eating lots of proteins is nonsense,you should rather eat max 1g of proteins per kilo of your body weight,but good proteins - milk,cheese,fish,eggs.
Proteins from pork meat are weak and heavy for your stomach,same with proteins from cow meat.
Chicken is acceptable,but not as good as milk,cheese fish or eggs.

Leon_C
12-11-2012, 09:29 PM
I been working out seriously for 1.5 years and I'm only 186 @ 5'11 height, but all I do is upper body.

I haven't trained my legs for about two months now because grow disproportionately fast compared to my upper body, my thigh was over 25 inches around at it's largest but it didn't look good now they've gone down to around 24 inches through doing more cardio and no more squats and leg presses etc... Btw at 5'11 186 is a good weight I'm 6'4 and 190

Leon_C
12-11-2012, 09:31 PM
I can confirm that what Strmstsn posted,about the number of repetitions is correct.
Doing 1-3 repetitions in 3 series (or more) with 85%+ of the maximum weight you can lift provides very good progression in force&mass.
Also it provides very nice physical stamina (resistance).
Eating lots of proteins is nonsense,you should rather eat max 1g of proteins per kilo of your body weight,but good proteins - milk,cheese,fish,eggs.
Proteins from pork meat are weak and heavy for your stomach,same with proteins from cow meat.
Chicken is acceptable,but not as good as milk,cheese fish or eggs.

I agree it's not healthy to live on such an excess of protein, the body can only use up so much for building up muscle mass before the rest of it makes you fat.

Arthas
12-12-2012, 12:01 PM

Well obviously I train legs, because I enjoy doing legs and I don't want to look like an idiot.

Seriously man you need to start training legs lol

Absinthe
12-12-2012, 12:22 PM
So typical... men usually emphasizing on the torso and arms and neglecting the legs and women emphasizing on their abs and hips and buttocks and have never lifted a dumbbell in their lives... :D The results are usually quite funny in both cases :D

I tend to emphasize on the upper part myself (especially chest and back, shoulder and triceps) because I am very skinny and frail from the waist up and want to muscle up and be stronger.

I don't spend 30 minutes on the inner and outer thighs on the abductor/addactor machines like most of the ladies do in the gym. Instead I try to exercise them more naturally with all kinds of lunges, a fair share of brisk walking, stationary bike, elliptical machine, and so on. :)

Arthas
12-12-2012, 02:54 PM
To be honest, an imbalanced workout won't have much of a bad effect on a woman because it's biologically impossible for females to get to a size where those imbalances start to look ridiculous.

But a balanced workout is definitely the way to go :)

Superbia
12-13-2012, 02:32 PM
To be honest, an imbalanced workout won't have much of a bad effect on a woman because it's biologically impossible for females to get to a size where those imbalances start to look ridiculous.

But a balanced workout is definitely the way to go :)

Yes that's the point, if a woman trains just about everything she doesn't get big, there's just a point where she gains a bit of strength and more defined forms but she doesn't grow mass muscle, it's a biological thing. At least that's the case with myself, I train everything and it stays like that. I also do a lot of cardio, of course. Those monster huge "women" you see on the Internet is of course not natural, but hormones, chemical etc.

Mans not hot
12-13-2012, 02:35 PM
I don't need to work out, I am Polack.

Lábaru
12-13-2012, 02:46 PM
For keep the femininity what matters is not excessive exercise, that's not really a problem, on the contrary, is positive. The key is always a balance diet, and of course never use drugs.

Neanderthal
01-23-2015, 05:07 AM
progress update:

gained 10kg in 4 months (with some fat ofc). also gained surprisingly 20 kg of bench press in 3 weeks following a bench program by Tom Platz

training twice a day now, some muscle groups i train 5 times a week, and basically just eating a lot #justectomorphthings

http://i59.tinypic.com/1sdwfl.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/fa527r.jpg

morski
03-11-2015, 07:28 PM
∆ Kewl, brah, keep it up.

Here's my progress. Back to what I weighed prior to hospitalisation. Beer works miracles.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w500/trimutri/2015-03-11-720_zpsltytyiuu.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/trimutri/media/2015-03-11-720_zpsltytyiuu.jpg.html)

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w500/trimutri/IMG_20150311_212542_zpsuiahsony.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/trimutri/media/IMG_20150311_212542_zpsuiahsony.jpg.html)

Linebacker
03-11-2015, 07:33 PM
What is your opinion on popping out veins.I have them on hands,shoulders and even one on the side of the forehead.

http://s25.postimg.org/7g8ijb57j/asfasf.png

morski
03-11-2015, 07:39 PM
Scary as phok. :D Two fuckers started popping out on my lower abdomen. Don't like it and luckily I'm veiny only right after a workout. Vascularization def shows ones commitment, though. :)

Linebacker
03-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Scary as phok. :D Two fuckers started popping out on my lower abdomen. Don't like it and luckily I'm veiny only right after a workout. Vascularization def shows ones commitment, though. :)

People say its not very healthy,that my main concern,I don't really care about appearance.I can't find a bottom word on it however.Some say big veins improve blood circulation and activeness and some say they swollen because of strain and overworking.

morski
03-11-2015, 08:01 PM
People say its not very healthy,that my main concern,I don't really care about appearance.I can't find a bottom word on it however.Some say big veins improve blood circulation and activeness and some say they swollen because of strain and overworking.
I wouldn't know about that, but if you feel alright it shouldn't be a concern.

Desaix DeBurgh
03-11-2015, 08:09 PM

Little intro: Started in September 2012 at 135lbs, I am now about 148lbs (haven't weighed myself in a while) and I'm aiming for 155lbs by Christmas and either 160-170lbs lean or 180-190lbs by August 2013 before I go to Uni

I feel weird posting in a body building thread because I'm simply trying to look physically fit rather than have big muscles. Dirty bulking is ridiculously easy -- try cutting to below 10% body fat and getting the body of an underwear model : that is alot harder. You are trying to get up to 180-190 pounds but I am like 170 pounds and I am trying to get down to 160 pounds to look like an underwear model. I have to lose more fat, obviously, to look like that but I am losing fat every week :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/naudiz/DSCF0001_zps0tprmhv2.jpg

morski
03-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Arthas is a ghost. :laugh:

Neanderthal
03-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Update at 77 kg:

http://i57.tinypic.com/2ic5p2g.jpg

Been bulking for almost 5 months now and still surprisingly 'lean'

Drawing-slim
03-13-2015, 04:10 PM
So 40 pullups, 40-50 setups, about 60-80 times with 25pounds dumbbell and little 10lbs for shoulders pretty much everyday when waking up is it good to keep toned?
Plus little jogging once or twice a week. I smoke a lot as well and eat everything I desire no questions asked.
Is this ok? Just started this workout routine at home as soon as I wake up. If I don't do it first thing the morning I don't do it at all during the later time of day.

dollymehta
03-14-2015, 07:17 AM
The three key factors in bodybuilding are, in order of importance, diet, exercise, and rest.

Dorian
03-25-2015, 11:21 AM
I'm planning to start a diet to cut,my maintance calories are somewhere between 2200-2300 and these are going to be my diet calories,in order to lose fat now, I'll have to burn it through exercise(running mostly) and now I wonder how much should I burn?I would like to lose 3 kilos per month for the first months which gives 770 calories burned per day and I guess that would be like eating 1430 calories,is that healthy?will there be a muscle loss?as it's not really like starving and eating 1430, it's burning ?maybe I should just stick at -500 calories?(2 kg/month)(which is the most recommended) what do you guys think?

Neanderthal
03-26-2015, 04:41 AM
I'm planning to start a diet to cut,my maintance calories are somewhere between 2200-2300 and these are going to be my diet calories,in order to lose fat now, I'll have to burn it through exercise(running mostly) and now I wonder how much should I burn?I would like to lose 3 kilos per month for the first months which gives 770 calories burned per day and I guess that would be like eating 1430 calories,is that healthy?will there be a muscle loss?as it's not really like starving and eating 1430, it's burning ?maybe I should just stick at -500 calories?(2 kg/month)(which is the most recommended) what do you guys think?

Start eating maintenance and doing cardio to see how many calories you burn, then, if you aren't losing weight fast enough, reduce calories by 250-500 below maintenance

Linebacker
03-27-2015, 01:38 PM
KevinB is going to hate me.

Heres one from today.Thats what I got after a long winter of strongman training(very heavy weight with deadlifts,overhead dumbell,military press,heavy frame carry,I am only missing the atlas stone,we don't have any in our gym,I plan to cast some out of concrete when the snow goes away).88 kilos.Abs gone,back definition reduced,arms are doing ok it seems.Im going to clean some of that up for summer,specially I plan on bringing back the abs somehow,don't know how that one's going to happen.
http://s25.postimg.org/zbv9w6ecf/safafs.png

morski
03-27-2015, 02:38 PM
KevinB is going to hate me.

Heres one from today.Thats what I got after a long winter of strongman training(very heavy weight with deadlifts,overhead dumbell,military press,heavy frame carry,I am only missing the atlas stone,we don't have any in our gym,I plan to cast some out of concrete when the snow goes away).88 kilos.Abs gone,back definition reduced,arms are doing ok it seems.Im going to clean some of that up for summer,specially I plan on bringing back the abs somehow,don't know how that one's going to happen.

Пий креатинец един месец, мене ме изчиства много.

Linebacker
03-27-2015, 03:19 PM
Пий креатинец един месец, мене ме изчиства много.

Не съм сигурен дали да чистя още,Аз много яко се зарибих по стронгмен тренировките,добър съм в тоя бранш,мисля да взема някоя републиканска,или поне да се опитам. :)

Просто ми е малко тегаво че пресата ми я няма вече.Преди бях като Лазар Ангелов.