PDA

View Full Version : Ankara

Talvi
12-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Is there anyone here who lives in Ankara?
What do you do there??? Im gonna have to spend some more time here but I find this place to be even more boring than the town I was in in Japan.

Ive already been to the Atatürk mausoleum, Ankara castle and the biggest mosque... is there anything else interesting to see here?? Any recommendations??

Kemalisté
12-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks to the efforts of Melih Gökçek, who has been governing the city for 20 years. :D

I've visited Atatürk's mausoleum several times, other than that I have no much knowledge about the city but I know most people are complaining about it everytime.

Osprey
12-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Why can't you stay fixed in one place?

Cannabis Sativa
12-05-2012, 03:03 PM
First of all hoşgeldin bacım, Ankara was just a little town before the Republican Era, so she had not much history with the exception of Galatians and Hittites.(I'd say sum of two or three villages instead of town) Apparently you can visit Medeniyetler müzesi for the remnants of Central Anatolian antiquity. I was raised up in Ankara for 8 years, but there is nothing special in Ankara so much. I suggest you Çığ Gösteri Merkezi for live-Turkish folk music. These guys are pretty damn good about this. Apart from these you can visit Kızılay-Karanfil Sokak where you can find some interesting books and souvenir anyway.

Talvi
12-05-2012, 03:09 PM
First of all hoşgeldin bacım, Ankara was just a little town before the Republican Era, so she had not much history with the exception of Galatians and Hittites.(I'd say sum of two or three villages instead of town) Apparently you can visit Medeniyetler müzesi for the remnants of Central Anatolian antiquity. I was raised up in Ankara for 8 years, but there is nothing special in Ankara so much. I suggest you Çığ Gösteri Merkezi for live-Turkish folk music. These guys are pretty damn good about this. Apart from these you can visit Kızılay-Karanfil Sokak where you can find some interesting books and souvenir anyway.

Thank you! :)

Ive already been to the museum last winter/spring, unfortunately most of it was closed.

Ill try your other suggestions.

Talvi
12-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Why can't you stay fixed in one place?

Because I have an interesting life.

Dacul
12-05-2012, 04:51 PM
I am pretty sure some turkish members from here can help you find some metal clubs in Ankara - a part of your problem is already solved,you can go there to drink some and listen to metal music.
Also,I heard is not hard to smoke some hash in Ankara,if you are interested in that,could be another thing with which you would fill your time.

Talvi
12-05-2012, 05:02 PM
I am pretty sure some turkish members from here can help you find some metal clubs in Ankara - a part of your problem is already solved,you can go there to drink some and listen to metal music.
Also,I heard is not hard to smoke some hash in Ankara,if you are interested in that,could be another thing with which you would fill your time.

I dont know anything about hash, but almost all of my bfs friends/housemates smoke weed. It doesnt really work on me though.... what makes things sad is though only very few people are able/willing to speak English, so I dont have a lot of people to talk to.

archangel
12-05-2012, 05:09 PM
well ankara is a bureaucrat city you know,the capital etc.. its not like istanbul or izmir in that matter,its very cold in winter too brr:) but there are metal clubs as romanul said

Loki
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Pity your bf doesn't live in Istanbul ...

Talvi
12-05-2012, 05:11 PM
well ankara is a bureaucrat city you know,the capital etc.. its not like istanbul or izmir in that matter,its very cold in winter too brr:) but there are metal clubs as romanul said

It is cold here right now and its also supposed to snow tomorrow, but its not as cold as Estonia :)

archangel
12-05-2012, 05:14 PM
estonia is very northern you know its supposed to be cold:) here is istanbul is about 11 c

Kemalisté
12-05-2012, 07:11 PM
I dont know anything about hash, but almost all of my bfs friends/housemates smoke weed. It doesnt really work on me though.... what makes things sad is though only very few people are able/willing to speak English, so I dont have a lot of people to talk to.

If you visit Izmir somehow don't forget to let me know. :thumb001: my accent is so stupid tho, but don't worry I can understand you very well and response in body language :D

Pecheneg
12-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Promenade Places; arjantin(argentina) street, 7.cadde (7th street), tunus, bestekar street, sakarya street, yüksel street. There are lot of cafes, restaurants, pubs etc..

Recreation Places; Gölbaşı, Soğuksu National Park - Kızılcahamam, Çamlıdere, Altınpark, Atatürk Orman Çiftliği, Eymir lake etc...

Cafes&Pubs; Cafemis, Budakaltı, The north shield, Kuki, ,The ivy, Coconot, Las chicas, Salata, Lins, Mum, Murphy's

Restaurants&Clubs; Schnitzel, Yosun, Liman, Sushiko, Laila, The ocean ivy,
Tike, Köşebaşı, Niki, Quick china.

Ushtari
12-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Because I have an interesting life.
where is your next stop?

Talvi
12-05-2012, 10:12 PM
where is your next stop?

Im gonna stay in Estonia after this :) but also considering visiting Poland.

Loki
12-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Im gonna stay in Estonia after this :) but also considering visiting Poland.

Make sure you stop by in London ;)

Fortis in Arduis
12-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Promenade Places; arjantin(argentina) street, 7.cadde (7th street), tunus, bestekar street, sakarya street, yüksel street. There are lot of cafes, restaurants, pubs etc..

Do Turks like to go out and strut in the evening?

Baldur
12-05-2012, 10:32 PM
yeah why not :)

archangel
12-05-2012, 10:36 PM
no we rather to sit in homes all day no go outside lol what kind of a question is this?

Fortis in Arduis
12-05-2012, 10:51 PM
no we rather to sit in homes all day no go outside lol what kind of a question is this?

Not a troll question.

There is a difference between say, England and Malta.

In England people huddle together in pubs and bars in the evening, after work, avoiding eye contact with strangers, and sticking with their group.

In Malta, the young go out and strut about (promenade) and observe each other in a way that would not in happen in England or Britain as a whole.

I was quite surprised by this so when Pecheneg mentioned 'Promenade Places', I wondered if he meant fashionable peacocking areas, such as those in Malta.

So, do you go out to look at people? Do you promenade and check each other out? :)

Baldur
12-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Not a troll question.

There is a difference between say, England and Malta.

In England people huddle together in pubs and bars in the evening, after work, avoiding eye contact with strangers, and sticking with their group.

In Malta, the young go out and strut about (promenade) and observe each other in a way that would not in happen in England or Britain as a whole.

I was quite surprised by this so when Pecheneg mentioned 'Promenade Places', I wondered if he meant fashionable peacocking areas, such as those in Malta.

So, do you go out to look at people? Do you promenade and check each other out? :)

lol english people doesn't look at strangers?

Partizan
12-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Second with Pecheneg. However, despite I was born in Ankara, I do not know this city well. If your bf studies in ODTÜ, the campus is really cool, I visited there for 5 times and even despite not being better than my current university, it is a good place.

If you want to eat in outside, I suggest you to go Gölbaşı, where also has a nice view.

Fortis in Arduis
12-05-2012, 11:13 PM
lol english people doesn't look at strangers?

Stereotypically no, and not as an evening's entertainment.

The English do not generally promenade.

TheMagnificent
12-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Dikmen Vadisi is also nice for a walk.

Onur
12-06-2012, 12:52 AM
As other Turkish forumers said, Ankara is a bureaucratic boring city created in 1920s. I can recommend one more thing tough; Some of the best restaurants in Turkey are in Ankara. You can find most varieties of Turkish cuisine in Ankara and in top quality taste and service. I am sure your boyfriend knows some good restaurants in there, so ask for it.

Loki
12-06-2012, 09:37 AM
The museum of Anatolian civilizations seems fascinating!

Siberian Cold Breeze
12-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Sakarya -Selanik
Selanik -Sakarya
Tunalı late night :D

Lathander
12-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Talvi,are you an erasmus student or something like that?

Talvi
12-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Talvi,are you an erasmus student or something like that?

No, Im not :) Thats why Im having a bit of a difficult time. Young turks would rather get hit by a car or throw themselves down the stairs than speak in English.

Lathander
12-07-2012, 05:33 PM
No, Im not :) Thats why Im having a bit of a difficult time. Young turks would rather get hit by a car or throw themselves down the stairs than speak in English.

So,are you just having a long time vacation or working here? Are you still in Ankara?

Hurrem sultana
12-07-2012, 05:39 PM
So what are you? :D

Onur
12-07-2012, 05:47 PM
What? Is that really the case in Ankara for you?

Talvi, there are 100.000s of university students in there and i am sure at least half of them speaks English good enough to help a tourist.

I am surprised because this shouldn't be the case for Ankara. But which district you stay in there, in some remote place where newcomers from deep down Anatolia lives?

Talvi
12-07-2012, 06:07 PM
So,are you just having a long time vacation or working here? Are you still in Ankara?

My boyfriend is Turkish so Ill be here till Christmas.

What? Is that really the case in Ankara for you?

Talvi, there are 100.000s of university students in there and i am sure at least half of them speaks English good enough to help a tourist.

I am surprised because this shouldn't be the case for Ankara. But which district you stay in there, in some remote place where newcomers from deep down Anatolia lives?

Yes, my bf took me to school to introduce me to some people (actually many people, since he is a very extroverted guy and knows a lot of people). Most of them didnt even want to say "Hello" or "How are you" and when they wanted to know something they just asked my bf in Turkish, and when he told them to ask me in English then they just refused.

Same is with my bfs roommates, they invite over friends when my bf is at school and then ignore me because nobody wants to speak English.

I am near Canakya.

Onur
12-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Yes, my bf took me to school to introduce me to some people (actually many people, since he is a very extroverted guy and knows a lot of people). Most of them didnt even want to say "Hello" or "How are you" and when they wanted to know something they just asked my bf in Turkish, and when he told them to ask me in English then they just refused.

Same is with my bfs roommates, they invite over friends when my bf is at school and then ignore me because nobody wants to speak English.

I am near Canakya.
Thats really odd. Most of Turkish people likes foreigners and tries to communicate with them even if they cant speak a word of English.

I think you meant Çankaya. It`s the oldest district of Ankara and it`s probably the best place in the city. I was there last month, stayed for 10 days in my friend`s house in Çankaya. There are a lot of embassies in there and all the foreign officers lives in that district, mostly around Gaziosmanpasa, close to Tunali Hilmi street. So, people are used to that and you shouldn't have any communication problem in Çankaya.

Hayalet
12-08-2012, 12:38 AM
A Turkish poet was returning from a trip to Ankara from Istanbul. They asked him what he liked best about Ankara. His answer was: "The journey back to Istanbul."

But here are some Angoran denizens to cheer you up:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Odd-eyed_Turkish_Angora_cat_-_20080830.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Joey_Giant_Angora_Buck.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5d/Quebec_angora_goat.jpg

Fortis in Arduis
12-08-2012, 12:47 AM
Talvi. You seem to be suffering from Porcelain Doll Syndrome.

Have you tried wearing a combination of red and black, or doing something wild with your hair?

You must not be ignored.

Talvi
12-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Talvi. You seem to be suffering from Porcelain Doll Syndrome.

Have you tried wearing a combination of red and black, or doing something wild with your hair?

You must not be ignored.

Did you just tell me I am hollow inside and have no personality?

Anyway we had a house party last night with his friends from a club, people got drunk and were able to speak English more freely :) It was nice.

Numenorean
12-09-2012, 05:18 PM
i live in eskişehir which is close to ankara so i can tell few things about the city.Ankara as many people said here, is capital and not very entertaining like istanbul,but there are many pubs and bars for young people but i can tell you that eskişehir is more fun than ankara:)