PDA

View Full Version : Tintin's Estonian

Loki
07-26-2009, 07:00 PM
My first knowledge of Estonian people came from reading Tintin's books as a kid. :)

http://seriewikin.serieframjandet.se/images/b/b5/Piotr_Szut.png

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piotr_Skut):

Piotr Skut (Piotr Szut) is a character from The Adventures of Tintin series of classic comic books drawn and written by Hergé. He is an eyepatch-wearing Estonian pilot and radio expert, who appears in two albums: The Red Sea Sharks and Flight 714.

The surname Skut (or Szut) does not, however, seem to be Estonian. The closest spelling to Estonian should be Sütt. This is because of a pun: when he first meets Tintin and Captain Haddock, he is captured by them and the Captain asks his name. He says Szut, which sounds like the French word "zut", which is roughly translated as "damn". The captain thinks he is insulting him, before he tells him that it's his name. In the English version, he pronounces his name like "scoot", leading the Captain to think he's being told to get lost.

In other language versions, the name is likewise changed:

Dutch: Piotr Stíc - "stik" = "Choke (on it)!"
Finnish: Pjotr Pahk - "pah" = "Bah!"
German: Pjotr Klap - "Klappe!" = "Shut up!"
Spanish: Piotr Pst - "pst" = onomatopoeia meaning "I don't care!"
Portuguese: Piotr Xyssa - "chiça" = "My foot!" or "The devil!"
Danish: Piotr Schyyh - "sch" = onomatopoeia meaning "Shush!". In a newer translation, the French form Piotr Szut is used.
Swedish: Piotr Szut
Icelandic: Úffi - "úff" = "Sigh", indicating that Haddock bores him.
Turkish: Piotr Suss - "Sus" = "Shut up!"

Skut's first name, Piotr, is a Russian or Polish form of Peter. Thus, this character's name might be better rendered in Estonian as Peeter Sütt. Theoretically, Piotr Skut could also be a Russian Estonian (which would explain his liking for cossack dance) although his surname cannot be Russian, or he could be of mixed descent. In either case, although Estonia was de facto part of the Soviet Union when The Red Sea Sharks was published in 1958, Hergé portrays Skut identifying as Estonian, not Russian.

Skut is initially a mercenary pilot trying to kill Tintin and Haddock on behalf of the Khemed government, but when his plane is shot down, and the heroes generously rescue their would-be assailant, he becomes an ally. He has retired to a life of commercial piloting by the time Flight 714 takes off.

EWtt
07-26-2009, 07:17 PM
The surname Skut (or Szut) does not, however, seem to be Estonian.

I wouldn't consider Pjotr Estonian, either. :confused:

Äike
07-26-2009, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't consider Pjotr Estonian, either. :confused:

I agree, I once met a guy named Pjotr and he was Russian.

Absinthe
07-26-2009, 07:30 PM
I was also about to say that the name doesn't sound even remotely Estonian :)

Svarog
07-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Pjotr is a Russian name, tho I do LOVE Tin Tin :D It's one of the most awesome comics ever, I even have cartoons on DVD :D

My first knowledge of Estonia came from Tolkien as Middle Earth pretty much have an Estonian shape.

Brynhild
07-27-2009, 12:27 AM
Isn't it funny? I'd been waiting for some time to get my order of TinTin cartoons on DVD and it arrived two days ago! The kids and I love them, we were sitting down and watching some episodes just last night. :thumb001:

Svarog
07-27-2009, 07:48 AM
yeah he is awesome, my little siblings loves him too, tho I am really trying to get them into the comics, they are just not interested, and I have like a huge collection, really wanna get someone into omics, not only tin tin so i can give my collection which is like couple of thousands of all kind of comics, as i don't want to throw them away once I move

Jarl
07-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Pjotr is a Russian name, tho I do LOVE Tin Tin :D It's one of the most awesome comics ever, I even have cartoons on DVD :D

My first knowledge of Estonia came from Tolkien as Middle Earth pretty much have an Estonian shape.

Strange. "Piotr" is the exact spelling of the name "Peter" in Polish.

Svarog
07-27-2009, 12:57 PM
I did not say he is Russian, just that it is a common Russian name, he might be a Polish as well, I have no idea

Atlas
08-24-2009, 06:13 PM
It's actually a funny pun in French, this is the problem with French to English translation in the comics Tintin... English people can't get everything. My favorite Tintin comic books should remain "The Blue Lotus".

Still Hergé was a Wallons, so a belgian, Tintin is sometimes mistaken to be French, like the French fries etc...

Lahtari
08-24-2009, 06:44 PM
I did not say he is Russian, just that it is a common Russian name, he might be a Polish as well, I have no idea

I don't think the Belgian really had much of a clue about Estonian names. Otherwise than that they sounded funny to him. :D

Groenewolf
08-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Still Hergé was a Wallons, so a belgian, Tintin is sometimes mistaken to be French, like the French fries etc...

Fraconised Dutch ;) .

Motörhead Remember Me
09-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Captain Haddock is the character that had biggest infuence on my life.

Albion
04-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Captain Haddock is the character that had biggest infuence on my life.

Yeah, I most identified with Haddock too. Tintin was too much of a good-goody for me and my little bro used to compare me to Haddock, apparently I'm angry like him lol.:eek::D