PDA

View Full Version : Turkey withdraws from Eurovision 2013

MfA_
12-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Here just fresh bits.. Turkey protests the new voting system since it is unfair..

Following Portugal, Slovakia, Poland and Bosnia-Herzegovina, Turkey won’t be competing in Eurovision Song Contest 2013 either. One of the most successful countries in 2000s has decided to skip next year’s edition, TRT General Director confirms online.

TRT’s general director confirmed the news on the broadcasters official website this afternoon stating “TRT has decided not to participate in next year’s Eurovision Song Contest in a decision made by us today. ”

One of the reasons is the current voting format where juries have 50% stake and audience another. TRT wants audience to have 100% effect on the results. They also think that it is unfair that the ‘privileged’ Big5 countries get direct tickets to the final without competing in semi-finals.

Geni
12-14-2012, 04:47 PM
good:thumb001:

Hurrem sultana
12-14-2012, 05:10 PM
wow wont be even fun,Bosnia is out too

although bosnian serbs are trying to change the decision

Baldur
12-14-2012, 05:13 PM
They all just hate Sweden i guess.

Kemalisté
12-14-2012, 05:25 PM
How significant that this decision has come out shortly after the budget negotiations in the parliament. The current account deficit is getting bigger and bigger so the government has begun to feel need to reduce some spendings which they see as " unnecessary " (that's why they also withdrew from the CERN project, citing the expense), scaring that they could not fool the people that our economy is magnificant anymore in case of a crisis!

Incal
12-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Normally, masses vote crap. That's why Eurovision's level have decreased in recent years. Also, the poorest countries always had the highest rankings not because the songs were good but due to their diaspora voting compulsively regardless of the songs' quality. The only positive surprise in recent years was Lordi, which I assume must be a so-so metal band but comparing with the other representatives was like a breath of fresh air to the contest.

Turkophagos
12-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Turkey doesn't belong to european contests anyway.

Su
12-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Turkey withdraws from Eurovision Song Contest 2013.

Eurovision fans were confused after TRT had stated that they may consider withdrawal in 2013. Then, everyone calmed down when TRT started to put lots of effort trying to decide which artist should represent Turkey in Malmö. However, it's been officially announced that, Turkey will not take part in the 2013 edition of Eurovision Song Contest.

After Poland, Portugal, Slovakia and Bosnia & Herzegovina withdrew (and Cyprus first announced to do so, but later changed its mind), TRT also announced that Turkey will not participate in next year’s contest.

In August 2012, Director General at TRT said that Turkey was considering withdrawal in 2013. However, this was not taken much seriously among the public, as TRT started to organize meetings with an "Advisory Board" which gathered music proffessionals in order to discuss, who would be the right participant for Turkey. Last week, some rumours spred out that the meetings with the 2013 representative were close to an end, and the name would be announced very soon. Today, both the media and the fans were shocked by the withdrawal of Turkey.

Unlike the other withdrawn countries, Turkey's reason is not financial. TRT stated that, this is a reaction to the injustice of the competition, like a "boycott". In the explanation they made, TRT claimed that the contest was unfair due to the latest rule in the voting system; the 50-50 combination of jury voting and televoting. It is thought that the involvement of jury had a downstream effect on Turkey's points. The broadcaster also finds the "big 5 direct qualifiers" unfair.

Turkey will most likely participate in the 2014 contest, as TRT told that they'll take the opinions of Advisory Board into consideration to develop a strategy for the next years, and hopefully end up with better and more effective conclusions.

Many Turkish Eurovision fans are however thinking the withdrawel has mostly to do with the latest rule change making the producer decide the running order of the participating songs. Something that can have a big influence on the winner.

Turkey has been in the contest since 1975, and they were active except for the years 1976, 1977,1979, and 1994. They won for the first time in 2003, with the song Everyway That I Can by Sertab Erener, their only victory until now.

In 2012, Turkey was represented with the song Love Me Back by Can Bonomo, which finished the contest at a respectable 7th place.

http://news.az/articles/turkey/73774

What do you think about this decision?

Graus
12-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Turkey shouldnt be in a contest with "European" in the name anyway but this is also true for Israel and some other countries.

Su
12-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Turkey shouldnt be in a contest with "European" in the name anyway but this is also true for Israel and some other countries.

Then they should have just kicked out us from the contest :thumb001: by the way we do also take part in European Championship , they should also kick us out of it as well :)

Mraz
12-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Waste of money anyway, taken from taxpayers.

Lathander
12-15-2012, 05:52 PM
I am glad we got rid of this sh*t.It was completely a waste of time.No need to mentioned debates about it in media and few idiots we have chosen ("I am the superstar" idiot for example)
Only good news I have heard in last few days.

rashka
12-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Big5 countries get direct tickets to the final without competing in semi-finals.
I am sure not many people knew that. That is not fair.

east
12-16-2012, 09:23 PM
I did not chose either of the two options because Eurovision is not a waste of time and money. Eurovision should exist. A problem with the rules is another matter. The second point I would say that each country is free to participate or leave the competition. There are other countries before that same way have interrupted their participation there.

Absinthe
12-16-2012, 09:31 PM
ESC started out as an exclusively Western European project anyway. Excruciatingly boring as it might have been, it was still a decent song competition before Balkanian and former USSR Turbo-folk entered the scene.

To be honest Turkey had sometimes more 'European' sounding tunes than Greece, Cyprus or Bosnia for example :p But still I think all of the non-WE countries should retract their membership, it's a rich people's hobby after all. Let the douze points go to Luxemburg and France :P

Blackout
12-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Shame... :ohwell:

I enjoy watching the Eurovision 'Song' Contests!

Partizan
12-16-2012, 09:41 PM
I wish there was something like "Turanvision" between 7 Turkic countries, where Hungary, Mongolia and maybe Finnic countries would join as "guest members". Despite Turkey has a part of it in European continent, I think those kind of things like "Eurovision", "European Cup" etc. are just remnants of "European Union" dream of 1950's, which is falling down nowadays. Moreover, I cannot stand on that, we see an English language song as something like National Anthem for half a year :picard1:

MfA_
12-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Shame... :ohwell:

I enjoy watching the Eurovision 'Song' Contests!

Azerbaijan still there lol

Graham
12-16-2012, 09:44 PM
How will Greece get 10 points then?

Absinthe
12-16-2012, 09:46 PM
How will Greece get 10 points then?
There's still Albania :p

TheMagnificent
12-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Greece never gives us a single point. Haters. :p

Absinthe
12-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Really? I think she does...or so I remember. At least I do... :p

Queen B
12-16-2012, 09:54 PM
There's still Albania :p
We won't participate this year though.

I think we gave you when Sertab was singing.

Absinthe
12-16-2012, 09:58 PM

That was one of the best ESC songs ever! :D

Last year's Turkish song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1viLmPCeAM) wasn't too shabby either. It was, sort of, like, Marc Almond meets Goran Bregovic :D I voted :vote_yes:

Blackout
12-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Sito!

A_pSIbS8oAA

Blackout
12-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Why not upload some videos, of the songs you like? :)

TheMagnificent
12-16-2012, 10:15 PM
We won't participate this year though.

From 2005 onward 3 points in 2006 and 2009, sais Wiki. My bad. :D

Su
12-16-2012, 10:29 PM
I think because Azerbaijan and Bosnia I might still watch it :D

MfA_
12-16-2012, 10:34 PM
I think because Azerbaijan and Bosnia I might still watch it :D

Azeris should win this year since we are out they have all our diaspora votes and they have the sympathy of euros which prevents prejudices against them..

Queen B
12-17-2012, 10:18 AM
From 2005 onward 3 points in 2006 and 2009, sais Wiki. My bad. :D

Oh, We did more than once??? ???? :tongue

kabeiros
12-17-2012, 10:22 AM
, scaring that they could not fool the people that our economy is magnificant anymore in case of a crisis! Shshshshs, keep it down, you might ruin Onur's fantasy world, where Turkey is a super power of the magnitude of USA, China, Russia and EU combined....

Partizan
12-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Shshshshs, keep it down, you might ruin Onur's fantasy world, where Turkey is a super power of the magnitude of USA, China, Russia and EU combined....

Why you are so obsessed with Onur and mention him in every thread? :picard1:

Dengizik
12-17-2012, 10:35 AM

Onur is worst nightmare of Greeks.

kabeiros
12-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Because every action generates a reaction, it is simple Physics

Graus
12-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Then they should have just kicked out us from the contest :thumb001: by the way we do also take part in European Championship , they should also kick us out of it as well :)

Absolutely :thumb001:

kabeiros
12-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Onur is worst nightmare of Greeks.
Nah, he's just the Turkish hero of TA Turks, a really sad case of a butthurt Turkified Balkanite who is obsessed with Greeks from Asia Minor (he hates us because we didn't become Turks like his ancestors did)

Grace O'Malley
12-17-2012, 10:56 AM

To be in Eurovision you don't actually have to be a European country but an active member of the EBU that is why countries like Lebanon, Syria or Azerbaijan can compete.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/about/which-countries-can-take-part

Grace O'Malley
12-17-2012, 10:59 AM
One of my favourite winners of Eurovision was Every Way That I Can by Sertab so it is a shame that Turkey is not taking part.

Queen B
12-17-2012, 11:10 AM

Probably because he had made 654564564545465 threads about Greece and every post of his is mentioning .. Greeks? :bored:

Partizan
12-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Because every action generates a reaction, it is simple Physics

Probably because he had made 654564564545465 threads about Greece and every post of his is mentioning .. Greeks? :bored:

Go and criticise him in the topic, where he writes something. To be honest, mentioning him everywhere is such a butthurt attitude.

Comte Arnau
12-17-2012, 10:32 PM
There was a time when Eurovision was certainly a decent contest, countries were fewer, voting was more unpredictable, songs were in different languages and the audience was more diverse, not just drag queens.

The 2000s have proved what some feared: it has become a contest where all winners are either Eastern countries (many neighbours + diaspora) or Scandinavian ones (neighbours + discodrag-oriented songs).

Some complain about the Big Five passing directly to the finals. They're the ones who've always paid the most. If they start to withdraw from it -Italy did for a long hiatus-, there might be no contest, simple as that. Spain was asked to withdraw by many Spaniards this year, but in the end TVE decided Spaniards should eagerly pay to see El Sueño de Morfeo in there, starring former Fernando Alonso's chick.