PDA

View Full Version : Would you take a swine flu vaccination?

Skandi
07-30-2009, 12:57 AM
If your government were to offer such a thing would you take it? Please state why your choice is as it is.

For me the answer is no to all options, because I am not in a caatagory at risk. The data coming back is that Swine flu is (in the UK) only expected to kill the same number as regular flu would have anyway.

Sol Invictus
07-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Offer? Pfff. The United States government and many other governments around the world are trying to make it a requirement. I refuse to take any flu shot vaccine because I know what is in them. You stick me with it, I'll stab you in the heart with it.

Loki
07-30-2009, 01:02 AM
I would, if administered by a voluptuous, curvaceous lassie.

Mrs Ulf
07-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Absolutely not. Quite frankly its like any other kind of flu. However when I'm in one of the high risk categories I might consider flu shots, but even then it seems like a huge waste of time and money.

We've had the terrible Mad Cow, Bird Flu and now Swine Flu, maybe after we have dog, cat and snake flu then I might consider getting a vaccination.

Absinthe
07-30-2009, 01:21 AM
I probably will as I am generally very prone to colds & flu viruses and most of the winter I am sniffy and feeling under the weather.
So I guess it won't hurt me to be better equipped this time...

Loki
07-30-2009, 01:27 AM
I can't remember when last I was ill. My immune system is probably good enough to ward this off on its own.

Sol Invictus
07-30-2009, 01:29 AM
I probably will as I am generally very prone to colds & flu viruses and most of the winter I am sniffy and feeling under the weather.
So I guess it won't hurt me to be better equipped this time...

maybe after we have dog, cat and snake flu then I might consider getting a vaccination.

wkiclMWy3Ns

Lahtari
07-30-2009, 01:42 AM
No. For just the same reason that I won't stop driving a car. Or flying. Or going to a bar. Or walking in the streets for that matter.

How many it has now killed, globally? Hundreds? Thousands?
NOOOOO!! We're all going to die!!! :eek: :D

The data coming back is that Swine flu is (in the UK) only expected to kill the same number as regular flu would have anyway.

Mrs Ulf
07-30-2009, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the video VA. Believe me I'm well aware. One of the big reasons I got into natural medicine. Its even more frustrating for me when the people in the Natural Health arena pull the same shit. Scare tactics and bullshitters looking to make money.

In a semi off topic statement. I just gave my mother an herbal regiment for her Thyroid problem. The pills they were going to give her would have been something she would have to be on for the rest of her life. Her next blood test is in October. I'm hoping that I can get it under control before that.

Rainraven
07-30-2009, 02:36 AM
If I got swine flu then it would very unlikely kill me or do anymore then set me back for a few days. That means there is no point getting a vaccination against it. There's no point in unneccesarily vaccinating or taking any sort of medication. It just means your immune system gets lazy. I like to keep mine busy with seasonal colds and flus and living in a damp moldy room ;)

Brynhild
07-30-2009, 06:13 AM
I voted no. I would rather my body builds up a natural resistance to such infections. No vaccine guarantees an immunity from illness anyway.

quotablepatella
07-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Noone I know has it, and even if I did get it, I'm in no risk category at all, so it would just be a waste of a vaccine shot.

Absinthe
07-30-2009, 10:40 AM
wkiclMWy3Ns
I don't know what's going on in Canada (and don't care), but why don't you bring your smart ass over here, where infection rates are rising exponentially every day, and ride the bus in an extremely densely populated city? :rolleyes2:

Tabiti
07-30-2009, 10:54 AM
No thanks, I don't want to take part in their conspiracy methods of making money or doing experiments.

Allenson
07-30-2009, 12:22 PM
I've never had any kind of flu shot...and I don't think that I'm about to start that sort of thing anytime soon.

Æmeric
07-30-2009, 12:27 PM
No. I never take flu shots. I've been ill twice over the last 12-years with flu like symptons & each time I recovered in 24-48 hours. One time was last month & it might have been the swine flu. There have probably been 100,000s of unconfirmed case of swine flu without any deaths. Unless your are very young or very old or in generally por health, I wouldn't worry about it.

Allenson
07-30-2009, 12:35 PM
As an addendum--the only thing that would make me consider something like this is the fact that I work at a university with its requisite diversity of people from all over the world.

I've gotten more colds since I started working here than I did in all my years combined beforehand. It's rather like a petri dish around here.

Sniffle-sniff, cough-cough. ;)

http://redfellow.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/moldgrowing_petri_dish.gif

Absinthe
07-30-2009, 12:44 PM
that I work at a university with its requisite diversity of people from all over the world.

Imagine living in Athens with about 1 million of immigrants from the third world, many of whom are illegal, undocumented, totally uncontrollable and live in the poorest hygienic conditions imaginable.

Dozens of people with God knows what kind of exotic diseases and viruses, stacked in either small appartments or self-made open-air camps without running water, toilets, etc.

And many of those, riding the same bus in the morning as you ;)

Absinthe
07-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Would you say I am paranoid, when surrounded by those? :p

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Hy-ASo7WVSc/SAvLB7WeEQI/AAAAAAAAAKo/QvesanEqLbs/s400/metanastes.jpg
http://www.hxo.gr/system/data/upimages/metanastes.jpg
http://ellas2.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/metanastes1.jpg
http://www.samosportal.gr/media/news/metanastes.jpg

EWtt
07-30-2009, 02:25 PM
I voted no. I'm more worried about common cold than swine flu.

The Lawspeaker
07-30-2009, 02:47 PM
I voted no. Not even if it was mandatory. In 1976 a vaccination campaign against swine flu went horribly wrong and killed/maimed hundreds if not thousands. And frankly I don't trust the government and the pharmaceutical industry and I have no wish to be part of their schemes and experiments.

No I will rely on a healthy dosis of isolation and my own natural resistance.

Inese
07-30-2009, 02:53 PM
No and not mandatory! The swine flu is paranoia!! Every normal flu is more dangerous or the same.

Atlas
07-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Yeah I would take it. I'm most of the time in contact with many people. I'm not scared though.

Rasvalg
07-30-2009, 03:52 PM
I refused to take vaccicines while in the Army and was threatened with an article 13. So then I sure as heck wouldn't take this one. Either I will survive or I won't but I will be no ones test tube.

Æmeric
07-30-2009, 04:38 PM
I refused to take vaccicines while in the Army and was threatened with an article 13. So then I sure as heck wouldn't take this one. Either I will survive or I won't but I will be no ones test tube.
I was given a smallpox innoculation (along with the rest of the crew of the ship i was serving on) in 1984 by the USN, after it had been eradicated. (Routine innoculation for the civilian population ceased in 1979.) No other ship's crews were given the innoculation. I think the Defense Department was testing a vaccine against a super smallpox bioweapon. Innoculate the crew, send them underway, expose then to the smallpox & see what happens. If it had gone badly the official report would have said something along the line of a deadly magazine explosion with the lost of all hands.

Imagine living in Athens with about 1 million of immigrants from the third world, many of whom are illegal, undocumented, totally uncontrollable and live in the poorest hygienic conditions imaginable.

Dozens of people with God knows what kind of exotic diseases and viruses, stacked in either small appartments or self-made open-air camps without running water, toilets, etc.

And many of those, riding the same bus in the morning as you ;)

The last two times I got ill with a mystery bug I had traveled by air within the prior 2 weeks & had been exposed to aliens for several hours in cramped quarters. But I normally avoid the unwashed from the third-world.

Sol Invictus
07-30-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't know what's going on in Canada (and don't care), but why don't you bring your smart ass over here, where infection rates are rising exponentially every day, and ride the bus in an extremely densely populated city? :rolleyes2:

Wash your hands after you get off the bus and don't touch your mouth or eyes or nose before you do that.

Problem solved. Don't be such a scaredy-cat.

I voted no. Not even if it was mandatory. In 1976 a vaccination campaign against swine flu went horribly wrong and killed/maimed hundreds if not thousands. And frankly I don't trust the government and the pharmaceutical industry and I have no wish to be part of their schemes and experiments.

No I will rely on a healthy dosis of isolation and my own natural resistance.

Smartest thing anyone has said in this thread.

Äike
07-30-2009, 09:09 PM
I would take the swine flu vaccination, if it were mandatory. Even if I got the swine flu, I wouldn't give a damn about it. My body is quite strong against viruses and I'm rarely sick.

ikki
07-31-2009, 12:06 AM
swineflu is just unwarranted hysteria with the purpose of making people afraid and feeling dependant on the bigbrother. No thanks.

Kempenzoon
07-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Not by choice.

Since I'm not at much risk of dying from mexican flu, and since I feel I deserve some sick days away from work. :P

(and if mandatory, they better be prepared to restrain me before I'll let them give me that vaccine)

Poltergeist
07-31-2009, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't. The whole swine flu case is more of a hysteria than really a threat of pandemic.

Germanicus
08-01-2009, 01:07 PM
I would, if administered by a voluptuous, curvaceous lassie.

She must tick all boxes then?
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n449/ruffusruffcut/saw3poster1.jpg

Rudy
08-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Glutamine pills can help with the sniffles. A higher end multi-vitamin may help also.

I read the US health care bill may isolate people (camps) that refuse their shots.

No swine flu vaccine works as well as vitamin D to protect you from influenza.
http://www.rense.com/general86/10things.htm
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&domains=rense.com&sitesearch=rense.com&q=swine+flu+vaccine&btnG=Search&sitesearch=rense.com&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g2

lei.talk
08-01-2009, 04:06 PM
...and ride the bus in an extremely densely populated city? :rolleyes2:

& Veritas Aequitas
Wash your hands after you get off the bus
and don't touch your mouth or eyes or nose before you do that.

Problem solved.ironically, although named for him -
he was not allowed within the doors of the institut pasteur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteur_Institute)
to discuss this idea:
Towards the end of Louis Pasteur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Pasteur)'s life, he confessed that germs may not be the cause of disease after all, but may simply be another symptom of disease. He had come to realize that germs seem to lead to illness primarily when the person's immune and defense system (what biologists call "host resistance") is not strong enough to combat them. The "cause" of disease is not simply bacteria but also the factors that compromise host resistance, including the person's hereditary endowment, his nutritional state, the stresses in his life, and his psychological state. In describing one of his experiments with silkworms, Pasteur asserted that the microorganisms present in such large numbers in the intestinal tract of the sick worms were "more an effect than a cause of disease."

With these far-reaching insights Pasteur conceived an ecological understanding of infectious disease. Infectious disease does not simply have a single cause but is the result of a complex web of interactions within and outside the individual.

An analogy to help develop an understanding of the ecological perspective of infectious disease can be developed from the situation of mosquitoes and swamps. It is commonly known that mosquitoes infest swamps because swamps provide the still waters necessary for the mosquitoes to lay their eggs and for them to hatch without disruption. In essence, swamps are a perfect environment for the mosquitoes to reproduce.

A farmer might try to rid his land of mosquitoes by spraying insecticide over the swamps. If lucky, he will kill all the mosquitoes. However, because the swamp is still a swamp, it is still a perfect environment for new mosquitoes to fly in and to lay their eggs. The farmer then sprays his insecticide again, only to find that more mosquitoes infest the swamp. Over time, some mosquitoes do not get sprayed with fatal doses of the insecticide. Instead, they adapt to the insecticide that they have ingested, and with each generation they are able to pass an increased immunity to the insecticide on to their offspring.

Soon, the farmer must use stronger and stronger varieties of insecticide, but as the result of their adaptation, some mosquitoes are able to survive, despite exposure to the insecticide. Similarly, finding streptococcus in a child's throat does not necessarily mean that the strep "caused" a sore throat, any more than one could say that the swamp "caused" the mosquitoes. Streptococcus often inhabits the throat of healthy people without leading to a sore throat. Symptoms of strep throat only begin if there are favorable conditions for the strep to reproduce rapidly and aggressively invade the throat tissue. Strep, like mosquitoes, will only settle and grow in conditions which are conducive for them.

The child with the strep throat generally gets treated with antibiotics. Although the antibiotics may be effective in getting rid of the bacteria temporarily, they do not change the factors that led to the infection in the first place. When the farmer sprays with insecticide or the physician prescribes antibiotics but doesn't change the conditions which created the problem, the mosquitoes and the bacteria are able to return to those environments that are favorable for their growth.

To make matters worse, the antibiotics kill the beneficial bacteria along with the harmful bacteria. Since the beneficial bacteria play an important role in digestion, the individual's ability to assimilate necessary nutrients to his body is temporarily limited, ultimately making him more prone to re-infection or other illness in the meantime.

Marc Lappé, PhD, University of Illinois professor and author of When Antibiotics Fail (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS281US281&q=%22when+antibiotics+fail%22+%22marc+lappe%22&aq=f&oq=&aqi=), notes that, "When these more benevolent counterparts die off, they leave behind a literal wasteland of vacant tissue and organs. These sites, previously occupied with normal bacteria, are now free to be colonized with new ones. Some of these new ones have caused serious and previously unrecognized diseases."

anonymaus
08-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Will it be administered by one of the reptile Jews in disguise? I'll keep my eyes on them, see if they don't blink.

Gooding
08-01-2009, 04:58 PM
As long as the vaccine had passed all the clinical trials and went through the decade period afterwards to make sure nobody had any fatal reactions due to the shot ( remember, even a minority of deaths can lead to a recall of the medicine) and it wouldn't cost me anything, sure, I'll take the shot, just as I'd take a flu shot if there were any need for one. Right now, it's too soon to actually know, so right now, I'll add my refusal to the others.

Lulletje Rozewater
08-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Not under any circumstances.
I have a lot of culling to do here in SA

Lahtari
08-04-2009, 02:41 AM
There's two, totally unrelated issues surrounding this discussion.

About the possibility that it would be made mandatory: even in the case the vaccine will be proven harmless and effective, why to force it upon people? If it will be available for all, then everyone willing to take it will be protected, and the ones refusing it are not compromizing the health of others. And then, isn't one who is consenting of taking something as silly as a mandatory flu vaccine, in effect giving a mandate to his/her government to insert pharmaceuticals into people's body at will, for the smallest of reasons imaginable? For me at least, this is something of a whole different scale in importance than some over-hyped, trivial health issue.

- Open up, this is police.
- Yes..
- Good day, mr. X. Have you taken your swine flu vaccination?
- No, and I won't. Tough luck.
- You're under arrest. Everything you say *blahblahblah*...

Did I miss something? Did dr. Mengele already return from Argentina? :crazy: :D

But about vaccines in general: so far as I understand the way vaccines work, they only contain dead viruses or other kinds of germs. The purpose is simply to alert the human immune system of a new enemy, and the only way they could harm one's health would be that the germs wouldn't be properly killed. So, could someone correct me if this is the case or not, or could some of the vaccine-phobes here post even some evidence that vaccines can cause things like weakening the immune system?

So my answer is none of the above: probably not, but possibly in the case I was going to a high-risk area, and it wasn't mandatory. ;)

Guapo
08-04-2009, 02:59 AM
Nope. "The government reminds you to help control the world's population, have your human spayed or neutered.Bye-bye" :D

Radojica
08-04-2009, 04:24 AM
Swine flue is the phase of the virus before the final one...Just one more mutation in humans and the virus is going to be much more deadly than now and knowing that people between 16-50 ( i think) years old are mostly in danger...Stronger immune system you have, the chances are bigger that you are going to die which not too many people know...Remember Spanish fewer? It's the same story, just different name...

Groenewolf
08-04-2009, 06:27 PM
But about vaccines in general: so far as I understand the way vaccines work, they only contain dead viruses or other kinds of germs.

It is virusses. And they are either death or weakend. However it does not seems that easy. Since they are still working on an HIV-vaccine among things. And a bad vaccine can still have a bad effect on your health, just like with the previous swine flu outbreak :

TB5-Y08qbjo

Manifest Destiny
08-04-2009, 07:00 PM
I have a negative reaction to regular flu shots and get sick, so there is no way I'd take a swine flu vaccination.

Rudy
08-09-2009, 05:04 AM
Swine flu may cause a cytokine storm, which is an overreaction of the body's immune system. This is why increasing the immune system response could make it worse. Some people say that red wine with resveratrol may help to limit this overreaction.
http://diseases-viruses.suite101.com/article.cfm/swine_flu_cytokine_storm_cures
http://7thspace.com/headlines/311879/almost_90_per_cent_of_the_worlds_population_will_n ot_have_timely_access_to_affordable_supplies_of_va ccines_and_antiviral_agents_in_the_current_influen za_pandemic.html