PDA

View Full Version : Changed forever

arcticwolf
12-20-2012, 04:00 AM
What has changed you?

Moment/thing/process/occurrence in your life that changed you forever. And how? Is it for the better or worse?

A moment in your life you consider decisive.

There is only one thing constant in life the process of change itself. So what was it that changed you?

Tarja
12-20-2012, 05:43 AM
My Mother's death. For better and for worse, in equal measure.

Germaniac
12-20-2012, 05:44 AM
Cancer has changed me. I became more humble, I learned to accept stuff, and my faith in God has become even stronger. I have learned a LOT from having had cancer, and I think it has made me a better person, because I learnt from it. I hope I keep improving myself over time . Apart from that my dark blond straight hair has turned into brown curly hair (the darn chemo curls - google it).

Leliana
12-20-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm not going to talk about it here but it had to do with certain immigrants. My wake-up call!

Cancer has changed me. I became more humble, I learned to accept stuff, and my faith in God has become even stronger. I have learned a LOT from having had cancer, and I think it has made me a better person, because I learnt from it. I hope I keep improving myself over time.
Oh dear god, are you alright now!? I'll cross my thumbs for you that the cancer never shows his ugly face again! You're a strong and good man, never surrender! :)

Partizan
12-20-2012, 01:22 PM
University exam preparation period for 9-10 months(September 2011-June 2012). I totally left PC in this era, used cellphone for my anthroforum addict for until February(and later decided to leave smartphones and use a shitty Nokia from 8000 series, only for leaving internet). Got separated from my ex, which brought me to in border of depression for some weeks(which I passed painfully). I got up early and slept early, which was totally alien to me. BTW, I've read many books in this process, since I had more time to read books because of leaving Internet. I restarted smoking in the same period. I got fainted due to hypotension(if you smoke a lot, study at least for 6 hours, eat nothing for 8-9 hours, that happens) etc. etc. This era helped me to turn a young adult, from a teenager.

And the most hilarious part of those was that, most of parents generally urge their children to study. My family used to say, It is enough! Come here and watch a movie with us! Or come and play Okey! My answer was always same, After I will finish this test, I will come! :D :D :D

Grenzland
12-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Cancer has changed me. I became more humble, I learned to accept stuff, and my faith in God has become even stronger. I have learned a LOT from having had cancer, and I think it has made me a better person, because I learnt from it. I hope I keep improving myself over time . Apart from that my dark blond straight hair has turned into brown curly hair (the darn chemo curls - google it).

Wow, I hope you have defeated the cancer!

Catrau
12-20-2012, 01:33 PM
My first holiday with school colleagues in southern Spain gave me a huge boost. I was 18. I understood what self-esteem was about and I finally started to understood how to deal with women. That minor change in my personality "infected" my other attitudes, specially at school, suddenly I became a positive fine student and I started to embrace causes and always stand up for my views. I have to give my opinion and fight for it.

Somehow I always correlate that change in personality to that fantastic week in Costa Blanca among Portuguese, Spaniards, Italians and a few Brits.

Methmatician
12-20-2012, 01:37 PM
I stopped drinking alcohol completely. It had a positive effect, of course.

Lathander
12-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Visiting England for three weeks with a student group.It helped me to break my chain of extreme shyness.

Germaniac
12-20-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm not going to talk about it here but it had to do with certain immigrants. My wake-up call!

Oh dear god, are you alright now!? I'll cross my thumbs for you that the cancer never shows his ugly face again! You're a strong and good man, never surrender! :)

I have been cured. Thank God . I have faith the Lord will keep me safe .

d3cimat3d
12-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Going to the gym 6 days a week, has given me confidence and made me ecstatic (increases serotonin, AKA runners high) and has given me a sense of well being.

Allenson
12-20-2012, 02:37 PM
My father slipping further and further into dementia/Alzheimer's.

Because of this, I have become the elder statesman of the family.

Sooner than expected, but proverbially, it is what it is.

Virtuous
12-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Lots of things have contributed into making me the shitty person I am today.

Lithium
12-20-2012, 02:43 PM
I was between life and death for like 2 days, I felt like a complete different person when I woke up. My faith in the ancient gods is even stronger now.

rhiannon
12-20-2012, 02:55 PM
My father's death from Brain Cancer 27 years ago

Becoming a parent. This changes you in a way nothing else ever can

Corvus
12-20-2012, 03:04 PM
School has changed me. I learned to assert myself

Caismeachd
12-20-2012, 03:12 PM
I severely injured my spine. I read recently Bruce Lee had the same injury and was bed ridden for 6 months. He died only 3 years later because he mixed the pain meds he was on with something else. I didn't have the same luxuries as him so I had to suffer that and much more. It taught me how completely merciless American society is and how empty it is to people in legitimate need. It greatly fueled some hatred for me and I am still confused how to precede with my life now after all the experiences I've been through subsequently.

On a more positive note. I worked very hard before my injury and managed to lead sales with a marketing company working for Canon camera. I led west coast regional sales completely and was turning a profit of something like $10,000 every couple of days for the company. It led to possible management position but the project fell though. With that experience I learned that I could be very successful at something if I tried and had the opportunity.

Lobotomist
12-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Death has always been close to me, in the sense that I have known many people, who have passed away. Including both of my parents, when I was c.a 15-years old. I would say, that it has changed me in both negative and positive ways. :)

Mary
12-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Meeting my man.

Mortimer
12-20-2012, 03:40 PM
three Major occurances always for better and for worse.

when i operated my kidneys
when i drunk my first beer
when my psychic illness broke out

Frigga
12-20-2012, 05:44 PM
The birth of my baby. Nothing changes you quite so much as hearing that first cry.

Kazimiera
12-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Becoming a widow at 28.

Queen B
12-20-2012, 06:29 PM
My brother's nearly fatal accident for starters..
One moment you joke/fight with him, and the next one, his life is left in fate.
You then learn to value things and life differently and to cherish every moment with your loved ones because you ll never know when you'll see them again.
Same goes with my father's heart problem. It wasn't as sudden as my brother's accident, but still.

Clawgauth
12-20-2012, 06:46 PM
After a holiday in central Italy mi life changed.
I was 19, the same year I lost my grandmother and my body changed for a lot of reasons.
I don't know what happened, I was in a vulcanic-territory, beteween mountains and plains,great place.
After that, I started to being a different person.
I started to believe in more than one god from that day.

John Doe
12-20-2012, 08:10 PM
My job has changed me. I became more independent, more curious and more responsible.

arcticwolf
12-21-2012, 02:04 AM

Great post bro. About the hair, almost all of us are born with blond hair, which then goes darker a bit, it happens to many of us, so you are not alone. ;)

arcticwolf
12-21-2012, 02:11 AM
Lots of things have contributed into making me the shitty person I am today.

You are a fine man! Stop trying to get laid in my thread! Everybody knows "the mercy fuck" tactics so zip it slick! :D

Absinthe
12-21-2012, 06:25 AM
My ex dying in a car accident.

Stefan
12-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Most changes have been in small increments, although there are a few events early on in my life (2-6 yo) which I think shaped me the most; albeit, I wouldn't call them changes --as I was a clean slate then. Basically, it was a matter of lacking security, and a controlled environment, which, after a succession of many events brought by my parents, added an element of anxiety that made me quite introspective early on. I believe for everyone though that the ages between 2-6 yo are the most fundamental to developing the core person who will later be changed minutely. I know that I'm, at least, just an older, somewhat wiser version of my 6 year old self - which when observing children seems quite ridiculous, by their actions, but at the same time makes intuitive sense to me based on my memories of thinking. Other than that, I tend to control the changes to my person. If I see something that needs refinement (which isn't always easy to find) I'll try to adjust as best as possible, because I know otherwise I'll fail (from experience.)

I would list the most severe injury I've ever had (getting hit by a car), but that didn't change me internally other than now I know (or rather feel) that I should be as vigilant as possible when crossing the street.

I still have a lot of my life to live yet, though, so we'll see if there are any sudden events. I definitely hope not - it doesn't work with my autism nor does it work with my obsessive, self-controlling, nature to have spontaneous events.

Pecheneg
12-21-2012, 06:02 PM
A terrible car accident in 2007.
I've never been closer to death as i was that day.

EagleAtHeart
12-21-2012, 06:11 PM

I would say the thing that changed me was this as well!

Moving to the city... suddenly becoming a white minority surrounded by hostile and intolerant foreign races every single day.

Up until this point, I was a Liberal care-free guy from a small town. I never really knew hate or hostility until it was taught to me. Now I have it in abundance.

Aurora
12-21-2012, 06:32 PM
I don't have much time but real quick and in this order;

Moving out of the city to rural property changed me and has given me many years to find myself and learn many skills while living a very simple life without T.V.
internet (for some years) and phone.

Becoming a mother changed me a lot. It's turned me into a much better person.

Cancer has changed me also. I made a lot of changes and am healthier than ever before, mentally, physically, and spiritually.

Don Arb
12-21-2012, 06:37 PM
There are many crucial moments that have changed me one of that is when I realized that I dont belong to any kind of religion anymore- that changed me a lot.
secondly watching one of my best friends how his leg got amputated more and more bcs of some kind of fucking bone disease, watching that hell I used to value more the simple way of life.

bocc
12-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Moving to a university after going to a private school for 12 years and realizing how the real world worked.

arcticwolf
04-06-2013, 08:54 PM
bump