PDA

View Full Version : Body dysmorphic disorder - common in "anthronerds"?

finşaų
12-21-2012, 12:44 PM
I shall let Wikipedia summarize the tenets of the disorder for me:

Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD, also body dysmorphia, dysmorphic syndrome; originally dysmorphophobia) is a type of mental illness, a somatoform disorder, wherein the affected person is concerned with body image, manifested as excessive concern about and preoccupation with a perceived defect of their physical features.

The person thinks they have a defect in either one feature or several features of their body, which causes psychological distress that causes clinically significant distress or impairs occupational or social functioning. Often BDD co-occurs with emotional depression and anxiety, social withdrawal or social isolation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder

It has struck me, that this general tendency might be disproportionately represented in people who are obsessed with physical anthropology and "passing" in various regions. I have noted it in several people whom I have encountered on internet boards related to physical anthropology/typology.

"If it weren't for my swarthy/broad/robust/low/high/convex/concave/prominent/receding X, I would look totally awesome/normal!"

What is your take on this?

King Claus
12-21-2012, 12:49 PM
yes, i have a low forehead and mediteranean pigmentation.
It really bothers me, dunno what else too say about it.

finşaų
12-21-2012, 12:52 PM
yes, i have a low forehead and mediteranean pigmentation.
It really bothers me, dunno what else too say about it.

Do you analyse your facial features/pigmentation in mirrors/other reflective objects regularly, or do you on the contrary dislike mirrors altogether?

Do you typically touch your particular feature of discomfort (your forehead in this case) with your fingers, "measuring" it in an effort to convince yourself it is "acceptable"?

Does your preoccupation with your traits cause social anxiety/reclusion?

King Claus
12-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Do you analyse your facial features/pigmentation in mirrors/other reflective objects regularly, or do you on the contrary dislike mirrors altogether?

Do you typically touch your particular feature of discomfort (your forehead in this case) with your fingers, "measuring" it in an effort to convince yourself it is "acceptable"?

Does your preoccupation with your traits cause social anxiety/reclusion?

I watch in the mirror all day long.
When i touch my forehead with the thickness of my fingers it makes it look even more smaller.
But i dont need to convince my self it's ugly because i already know this.
I only get anxious when a girl is smiling at me :(

MissProvocateur
12-21-2012, 01:29 PM
BDD can be an extreme disorder, it's more common to have a mild form of BDD, I was diagnosed with it myself for a while (a mild form), but I learned to control it. My biggest obsession was my nose, chin, eyes, and body type. Along with other minor things. It is't about avoiding mirrors, in my case (and in the case of nother person I know with this disorder), I would constantly check in the mirror (and still do), to see if I looked okay, which obviously, you never do, and it only causes more distress.

I wouldn't say everyone who is "obsessed" with antrhopology has BDD, but I do see where you're coming from. Antrhopology pretty much involves the study of the physical features of people, so if you become obsessed with it, it's likely you become obsessed with your own appearance as well.

Graham
12-21-2012, 01:31 PM
More obsessed with all things to do with my country & this extends into it.

Find the DNA more interesting & treat this as a bit of fun..

finşaų
12-21-2012, 01:39 PM
BDD can be an extreme disorder, it's more common to have a mild form of BDD, I was diagnosed with it myself for a while (a mild form), but I learned to control it. My biggest obsession was my nose, chin, eyes, and body type. Along with other minor things. It is't about avoiding mirrors, in my case (and in the case of nother person I know with this disorder), I would constantly check in the mirror (and still do), to see if I looked okay, which obviously, you never do, and it only causes more distress.

I wouldn't say everyone who is "obsessed" with antrhopology has BDD, but I do see where you're coming from. Antrhopology pretty much involves the study of the physical features of people, so if you become obsessed with it, it's likely you become obsessed with your own appearance as well.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, most appreciated. :)

Regarding the bolded, sufferers typically either obsessively check mirrors, or obsessively avoid them (two abnormal extremes) or alternate between the two depending on mood, according to the sources I have studied.

Kazimiera
12-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Hmmm...

I could name just a few here.

finşaų
12-21-2012, 02:01 PM
I am not trying to insinuate that physical anthropology causes BDD, but I do think that the extreme emphasis on "good" versus "bad" traits and their supposed implications may lead predisposed/insecure/ostracized people to develop it.

Legion
12-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Physical anthropology is a symptom, not a cause ;)

finşaų
12-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Physical anthropology is a symptom, not a cause ;)

I think it could be either way around, really. I am going to quote Wikipedia once again, due to my mental tardiness.

There is evidence that individuals with BDD have abnormal visual processing when viewing their own face, others' faces, and inanimate objects. However, it is still unclear if these phenomena are the cause or effect of having BDD.

Kazimiera
12-21-2012, 02:07 PM
No, anthroboards do not cause it. People with BDD are attracted to anthroboards because of the BDD they already suffer from. But the deeper they delve into classifications, opinions etc, the worse the insecurities become.

finşaų
12-21-2012, 02:13 PM
No, anthroboards do not cause it. People with BDD are attracted to anthroboards because of the BDD they already suffer from. But the deeper they delve into classifications, opinions etc, the worse the insecurities become.

I wouldn't assert that just yet. Anthropology-related boards could most likely act as a trigger to a dormant case in a previously sane(-ish) individual.

Though, your scenario is certainly a possible (and even predominant) route, too.

Jackson
12-21-2012, 02:27 PM
One thing i noticed is that a lot of people on these boards are pretty insecure. Maybe this is another part of BDD?

finşaų
12-21-2012, 02:45 PM
One thing i noticed is that a lot of people on these boards are pretty insecure. Maybe this is another part of BDD?

I don't think there is a strict general correlation necessarily, though it could certainly be (and probably is) true for individuals.

finşaų
12-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Anyone else feel like something akin to this disorder is affecting you?

Corvus
12-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Anyone else feel like something akin to this disorder is affecting you?

Perhaps, I consider myself as sub average looking. I am a person with high aesthetical standards and I am not content with myself in this regard
I would like to be more symmetrical, lighter, better proportioned, and I would like to have a better skin qualitiy and better teeth.

Absinthe
12-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Perhaps, I consider myself as sub average looking. I am a person with high aesthetical standards and I am not content with myself in this regard
I would like to be more symmetrical, lighter, better proportioned, and I would like to have a better skin qualitiy and better teeth.
You look just fine, in fact you're quite good looking.

I am also aware I am not particularly pretty but I couldn't care less. I do my best to be an awesome person overall and never had problems finding a partner and I have never been loathing my looks. Even when I was chubby I was popular :)

Yes of course anthroboards attract people obsessed with their looks. It's no wonder the percentage is higher here.

Neanderthal
12-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Nah, i'm ugleh and can deal with it;)

finşaų
12-23-2012, 04:31 PM

You would be deemed more handsome than average by girls around here, I think.

Anyway, it's not really approaching BDD unless it severely hampers your social/professional life in an OCD-like manner. People with BDD seem to interpret faces (especially their own and/or their family members') abnormally; a moderately convex nose may look like an enormous hook-nose to a BDD-sufferer, for example.

I would like people here to be aware of the phenomenon, that is why I created the thread. Body Dysmorphic Disorder often leads to reclusion or suicide if given enough space to mess with one's mind.

Graham
12-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Isn't it normal to dislike parts of yourself?

Those that think they're gods gift to the world, do my head in.

Kazimiera
12-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Isn't it normal to dislike parts of yourself?

Those that think they're gods gift to the world, do my head in.

There is a difference between disliking your nose and making it into an obsession which engulfs you every day.

Rastko
12-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Anthropology-related boards could most likely act as a trigger to a dormant case in a previously sane(-ish) individual.

This almost happened to me, but I took a pause from Anthroboards.

Fierce Dravidian
12-23-2012, 04:47 PM
I've had some issues, I feel that I am kinda skinny and its hard to gain weight although I look pretty normal for my somatotye. I have always had hang ups about myself growing up mainly being too thin. Also I had a circumcission scar on my penis which is a white patch. I used tatooing to cover up the scar to an extent. I don't have any problem with my face and hair they are both generally great. I have erectile dysfunction for several months and I was very disturbed about it, I couldn't get it out of my head I was always concerned about it. Now I am in treatment with pills and I have recovered to a certain extent. So I usually feel too skinny to expose myself and I hope that I recover from that, my body is average at best and erectile dysfunction which is always on my mind it is preventing from enjoying myself and the pills are working I think.

I don't have problems or issues with "passing" and stuff I don't have such complexes and as long as I am attractive to the opposite sex I'm good to go. I have been with anthropology for around 10 years, gained a lot of knowlege and feel like an intelligent person because of this I am not generally obsessive about things but I do wonder as to what my progeny will look like with such and such persons. I lied, I do have an obsession with impregnating as many girls as possible, have as many kids as possible and post them in anthro boards so this is my obsession I think a lot about mixed children with negrid females.

Kazimiera
12-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Body Dysmorphic Disorder is what keeps the plastic surgery industry alive and booming. It's the bread and butter of plastic surgeons.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/175/a/d/body_dysmorphic_disorder_by_tabberdoodle-d341dbt.jpg

Leon_C
12-23-2012, 05:05 PM
I agree that anthroboards are a symptom of BDD. I have always had a habit of using two mirrors to look at myself from the side to the point that I care more about how my hair/ face looks from the side than anything else, this is why I tend to post pictures of my profile a lot because my hair is always styled to make me look the absolute best I can from the side.

Zack_Fair
12-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Lol, I "hypothesized" that the day I joined my first Anthro forum. Yes, I do have it! I obsessively check mirrors. The traits I'm obsessed with are my lips and chin. I used to obsess a lot(kinda like IM, I guess) but now significantly less.

Leon_C
12-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Body Dysmorphic Disorder is what keeps the plastic surgery industry alive and booming. It's the bread and butter of plastic surgeons.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/175/a/d/body_dysmorphic_disorder_by_tabberdoodle-d341dbt.jpg

But some people are genuinely ugly, it's the harsh truth. People who are good looking are more likely to have BDD because they are so close to perfection in their eyes that tiny little things become very noticeable to them, even if other people don't notice them at all. My greatest insecurity has always been the shape of my head because at the back of my head one side of my occiput is flattened and the other side curving (a minor case of plagiocephaly). Nobody has ever noticed this or pointed it out, most people tend to point out that I have a wavy nose with a funny tip but that doesn't tend to bother me at all because it's not my greatest insecurity.
I find the best way to deal with appearance issues that cannot be solved is to acknowledge them and speak openly about them. By gauging how people react/ reply you will find out just how marginal your insecurities are as most people will never notice them or make a big deal of them.

Cynewald
12-23-2012, 05:15 PM
I don't think I have it because sufferers of BDD have 'imaginary' defects. My defects aren't imaginary, I have been told what my physcial flaws are by both girls and guys. I have been rejected by women for these flaws. I tend not to dwell on them but I am fully aware of my flaws:

- lack of height (I'm 5ft9.75)
- Lack of dark brows despite my dark hair.
- Pasty skin
- Double chin
- Bowed legs
- lack of body hair/ none on chest arms etc
- Juvenile facial features

Zack_Fair
12-23-2012, 05:17 PM
I do the thing with taking profiles too. My hair, no matter how awesome, looks like shit in a frontal pic.

finşaų
12-23-2012, 05:18 PM
I don't think I have it because sufferers of BDD have 'imaginary' defects. My defects aren't imaginary, I have been told what my physcial flaws are by both girls and guys. I have been rejected by women for these flaws. I tend not to dwell on them but I am fully aware of my flaws:

- Pasty skin
- Double chin
- Bowed legs

Imaginary or exaggerated real ones. Your height is definitely not a real defect.

Kazimiera
12-23-2012, 05:23 PM
It also forms part of anorexia. No matter how skinny and malnourished they are, they still think they are fat. No amount of reassurance or "proof" will sway their ideas. They will come up with a million counter-arguments why they are fat, ugly etc.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/143/3/4/mirror_mirror____by_anorexicPOISON.jpg

Cynewald
12-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Imaginary or exaggerated real ones. Your height is definitely not a real defect.

It is when you flick through hundreds of female profiles on dating websites and you come across literaly dozens of women who pen down their 'man' can't be anything under 6ft. Its very real and damaging.

Plus tall men get more respect from society as a whole. They get the upperhand in employment hiring process and promotions.

Absinthe
12-23-2012, 05:34 PM
- Pasty skin
- Double chin
- Bowed legs
- Juvenile facial features

- Quite tall for Greek standards
- That's nice, would you rather have dark bushy brows and look like a monkey? ;)
- that can be improved with nutrition, sleep and some cosmetics
- lose weight
- considered to be a masculine trait (some even walk on purpose in such a way to appear as having such)
- You kiddin' me? Hairy guys shave or wax, hairless is considered sexier than Pappa Bear
- Asides the fact that you don't :picard1:, lots of women like "baby faces"

Baldur
12-23-2012, 05:36 PM
I think i have this, I really hate the way i look.

Cynewald
12-23-2012, 05:38 PM
- Quite tall for Greek standards
- That's nice, would you rather have dark bushy brows and look like a monkey? ;)
- that can be improved with nutrition, sleep and some cosmetics
- lose weight
- considered to be a masculine trait (some even walk on purpose in such a way to appear as having such)
- You kiddin' me? Hairy guys shave or wax, hairless is considered sexier than Pappa Bear
- Asides the fact that you don't :picard1:, lots of women like "baby faces"

Wanna fuck then? :D

Absinthe
12-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Wanna fuck then? :D
I'm in a relationship, man!! :D But seriously I think you'd have better luck in Greece or down south in general. You're tall for Greek standards and fair and blue eyed and many girls love that. :wink

Cynewald
12-23-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm in a relationship, man!! :D But seriously I think you'd have better luck in Greece or down south in general. You're tall for Greek standards and fair and blue eyed and many girls love that. :wink

Right. And the opposite happens here in the UK - women dislike pale skin (its seen as effeminate, weak, sickly, childish etc), blue eyes are nothing special, and 5ft9 is considered slightly short. I have talked to some Swedish guys online who are also light and they say Swedish women also like the dark swarthy looks of immigrants.

British women love the Greek/Italian latin look: tanned skin, chest and forearm hair, dark thick brows etc. Very masculine to them.

Maybe I should go where pale skin and light eyes and juvenile features are appreciated. I've only had the occasional Thai girl like my look, but that was 10 years ago now. :(

Baldur
12-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Right. And the opposite happens here in the UK - women dislike pale skin (its seen as effeminate, weak, sickly, childish etc), blue eyes are nothing special, and 5ft9 is considered slightly short.

British women love the Greek/Italian latin look: tanned skin, chest and forearm hair, dark thick brows etc. Very masculine to them.

Maybe I should go where pale skin and light eyes and juvenile features are appreciated. I've only had the occasional Thai girl like my look, but that was 10 years ago now. :(

There isnt a place where that look is appreciated.

Cynewald
12-23-2012, 05:53 PM
There isnt a place where that look is appreciated.

I know :( Its a niche market.

Only 2 girls in my life ever said they love my looks. 1 was Indonesian (very dark girl), the other was thai.

Absinthe
12-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Right. And the opposite happens here in the UK - women dislike pale skin (its seen as effeminate, weak, sickly, childish etc), blue eyes are nothing special, and 5ft9 is considered slightly short.

I think it's (paradoxically enough) the norm in every country that people hate their own looks and strive for the foreign and exotic.

Nordics looking for swarthies, swarthies looking for nordics, Indians/Asians looking for Whites, Whites looking for blacks, etc.

I personally for example consider Nordic women to be objectively some of the most angelic female specimens.

But most of my nordic female friends (whose looks I would kill to have, man!) dye their hair black, strive for a tan :picard1:, try to appear darker than they actually are, etc... They aren't content at all with their looks.

On the other hand I have a Greek friend who is considered quite average for Greek standards. She is short (1.55m, do the math cause I don't have time now), averagely built, cute face but nothing special, dark features. She is a massive success in Sweden (where she lives). She literally has to fight off tall blond nordic Gods with a stick to keep them away from her... :p

You see this is how it works, and I believe you'd have better luck down south or in Eastern Europe and Asia even. :thumb001:

Graham
12-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Should invite my cousin to this forum, she has a Doctorate in Psychology.

Cynewald
12-23-2012, 06:02 PM
I think it's (paradoxically enough) the norm in every country that people hate their own looks and strive for the foreign and exotic.

Nordics looking for swarthies, swarthies looking for nordics, Indians/Asians looking for Whites, Whites looking for blacks, etc.

I personally for example consider Nordic women to be objectively some of the most angelic female specimens.

But most of my nordic female friends (whose looks I would kill to have, man!) dye their hair black, strive for a tan :picard1:, try to appear darker than they actually are, etc... They aren't content at all with their looks.

On the other hand I have a Greek friend who is considered quite average for Greek standards. She is short (1.55m, do the math cause I don't have time now), averagely built, cute face but nothing special, dark features. She is a massive success in Sweden (where she lives). She literally has to fight off tall blond nordic Gods with a stick to keep them away from her... :p

You see this is how it works, and I believe you'd have better luck down south or in Eastern Europe and Asia even. :thumb001:

When Nordics mate with Mediterraneans the offspring is usually North-Atlantid looking. Many people appreciate the North-Atlantid look, (think Jenny Connelly, Anne Hathaway, Pierce Brosnan, Christopher Reeve in Superman). Its seen as the Hollywood Ideal and highly progressive euro type.

Accountant
12-23-2012, 06:11 PM
I used to be quite concerned about my looks too until I started observing what other young men look like. Every time I saw one I would ask myself would I rather look like him or myself. 9/10 the answer was myself.

Baldur
12-23-2012, 06:13 PM
I used to be quite concerned about my looks too until I started observing what other young men look like. Every time I saw one I would ask myself would I rather look like him or myself. 9/10 the answer was myself.

and for me its the opposite 9/10 times i wish i looked like the other one.

Corvus
12-23-2012, 06:18 PM

That`s a good point, I also think that my chances would be much higher in Southern European countries like Greece, Southern Italy or Turkey.
My instinct tells me.

Here in Austria is is extremly hard to find someone.

Rastko
12-23-2012, 06:20 PM

WTF Man, I'm a guy but my opinion counts, you look good.

Baldur
12-23-2012, 06:21 PM
That`s a good point, I also think that my chances would be much higher in Southern European countries like Greece, Southern Italy or Turkey.
My instinct tells me.

Here in Austria is is extremly hard to find someone.

I dont believe that, because i have visited all of these countries and i never saw the natives showing any interest in foreign men, greek girls just hung out with greek and albanian men. Same in Italy, in Spain many spanish girls had black southamerican bf's. Never any northern bf's.

Accountant
12-23-2012, 06:22 PM

Every man is flawed, just look closer.

Corvus
12-23-2012, 06:25 PM
I dont believe that, because i have visited all of these countries and i never saw the natives showing any interest in foreign men, greek girls just hung out with greek and albanian men. Same in Italy, in Spain many spanish girls had black southamerican bf's. Never any northern bf's.

Perhaps you are right. I should better dismss this idea :p

Baldur
12-23-2012, 06:42 PM
WTF Man, I'm a guy but my opinion counts, you look good.

Thanks, but my head is really small compared with others in my age group.

Kazimiera
12-23-2012, 07:09 PM
You also get the type of body dysmorphic disorder where the person hates a limb (arm or leg) so much that they don't want it on them anymore and request amputations. A number of years ago in Australia a man hated his leg so much that he dumped into a barrel of dry ice. The damage was so severe that the limb had to be amputated. This was all he ever wanted. His leg was gone and then he was happy.

larali
12-23-2012, 10:45 PM
I have it concerning my nose. I had a nose job and now I feel like shit about it. I look back at pics and realize how cute my nose used to be, and now I don't like it. Everyone tells me it's fine.

But that's not why I hang out on anthroboards. I do that because.... uh....

Incel King
12-23-2012, 10:57 PM
I don't believe in those mental syndromes. Today if you're just introverted and different than others some shrink could consider you as person with mental disorder. I think that I have at least 10 mental disorders. It's because I'm unable to find a girlfriend.

MfA_
12-14-2013, 12:32 PM
interesting..

Neanderthal
12-14-2013, 03:36 PM
You also get the type of body dysmorphic disorder where the person hates a limb (arm or leg) so much that they don't want it on them anymore and request amputations. A number of years ago in Australia a man hated his leg so much that he dumped into a barrel of dry ice. The damage was so severe that the limb had to be amputated. This was all he ever wanted. His leg was gone and then he was happy.

It's called Body integrity identity disorder. It often ends pretty bad (self/home made amputations, etc.)

Styrian Mujo
12-14-2013, 09:44 PM
I have somewhat thickish eyebrows and it bothers me. Im quite ok with the rest of my body(maybe I could lose some weight).