PDA

View Full Version : EU may chase Turkey soon: German FM

Onur
12-22-2012, 05:57 PM
I am surprised that a German FM from Merkel`s government says this;

EU may chase Turkey soon: German FM
German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle said the European Union should resume negotiations with Turkey over chapters without losing further time, warning that otherwise Turkey’s interest in the union would decline.

Westerwelle called on the EU to open further chapters with Turkey at an interview with German daily Saarbrücker Zeitung.

“We, the Europeans, should open chapters to negotiations with Turkey in the first half of 2013. Otherwise, in the upcoming term, our interest in Turkey may be greater than Turkey’s interest in us,” Westerwelle said. Turkey did not demand an urgent EU membership, he also said.

“Turkey’s demands to receive fair treatment, confidence and respect in negotiations were all justified,” Westerwelle said. Turkey has written a breathtaking success story in the past decade, Westerwelle said. Developments indicate that Turkey could be a bridge between Europe’s Muslim neighbors and the EU, Westerwelle stated.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/eu-may-chase-turkey-soon-german-fm.aspx?PageID=238&NID=37410&NewsCatID=338

Tough, this is pointless because it`s too late anymore. The EU support among the Turkish people dropped below 30% for the last 3 years. EU supporters are a small minority in Turkey anymore, consists of few liberal jerks and some leftist victims of EU propaganda.

Garbo
12-22-2012, 06:02 PM
There you go, now you have them. So it's time for us (Iberians) to pack and Leave. Maybe other romances want to follow :)

poiuytrewq0987
12-23-2012, 11:58 AM
We should rather unleash the united armies of Europe on New Islamabad (Turkey) and deport all Turks to Pakistan or wherever the Seljuks migrated to after leaving Mongolia.

Lathander
12-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Run away little Erdoğan,run to your freedom,never look back.

Siberian Cold Breeze
12-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Who wants to get on a sinking ship...
We must get rid of NATO too.

Aunt Hilda
12-24-2012, 03:25 PM
good for you. the EU is such a mess :)

Talvi
12-24-2012, 06:34 PM
I think the support for the EU is dropping everywhere in the world.

Kemalisté
12-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Putin has announced Eurasian Union. I think we should not miss this opportunity. Cooperation in Eurasia with Russia, China Iran, North Korea, Central Asian states, Mongolia, India and such.

Onur
12-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Putin has announced Eurasian Union. I think we should not miss this opportunity. Cooperation in Eurasia with Russia, China Iran, North Korea, Central Asian states, Mongolia, India and such.
Maybe that would be fine but it`s something impossible in real world as Turkey and Russia directly competes for everything in Eurasia. This is the fact for the last 350 years.

Lathander
12-25-2012, 01:19 AM

North Korea:D

I only liked central asians in that list.

Onur
12-25-2012, 01:29 AM
North Korea:D

I only liked central asians in that list.
Bülent Arınç denen herifi eğer Koreli bi politikacı ölürse tören için gönderirdik, ağlama olayında pek zorluk çekmezdi heralde :D

Siberian Cold Breeze
12-25-2012, 12:54 PM

China and Mongolia under same banner?
Not likely ...Say China to a random Mongol and see how fast he goes mad and starts swearing

Dacul
12-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Turks should be really noobs to enter in EU.
They have a very good living standard,why they should enter EU to ruin this living standard?

Hochmeister
12-25-2012, 02:13 PM
We must get rid of NATO too.

That would be good. :rolleyes:

Hochmeister
12-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Maybe that would be fine but it`s something impossible in real world as Turkey and Russia directly competes for everything in Eurasia. This is the fact for the last 350 years.

What?! Turkey isn't a rival for us since the 19th century. You are objectively weaker.

Germanicus
12-25-2012, 02:36 PM
If you thought wages have dropped now... Just wait until Turkey swamps Europe jobs markets, you are all in for a big big surprise!

Graus
12-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Dont worry, he doesnt speak for the government but tries to position his party for the upcoming elections. Damn the FDP is truly desperate if they try this hard to appeal to SPD and Greens.

eeroli
12-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Heh, tyrkie in Europa. Nada.

Germanicus
12-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Heh, tyrkie in Europa. Nada.

It will happen.

Siberian Cold Breeze
12-25-2012, 08:35 PM
We are not going to save your sinking ship.And I don't want to feed Europeans thx.

Corvus
12-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Why should Turkey enter a sinking boat. Many current members want to leave the EU before it finally goes down the drain. That does not make sense.

Graus
12-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Why should Turkey enter a sinking boat. Many current members want to leave the EU before it finally goes down the drain. That does not make sense.

Either because they love us from the bottom of their hearts or because of the massive wealth redistribution. I wonder which one it is...

Partizan
12-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Either because they love us from the bottom of their hearts or because of the massive wealth redistribution. I wonder which one it is...

You talk like if Turkish government is pro-EU anymore...

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/default.aspx?pageid=438&n=is-the-eu-still-important-for-the-akp-2010-06-15

PM Erdoğan's barely concealed message, it seems, was this: Why bother with the Europeans, let's put our money on better relations with our Arab brothers.

It is not so easy these days to find out what the governing Justice and Development Party, or AKP, thinks about the European Union.
Last week one could hear Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu defending the old, established party position. According to the minister, the EU is still of crucial importance for Turkey and for that reason, the final goal of the AKP’s European policy is full EU membership. No doubt about that.
Davutoğlu was asked the question about the AKP and the EU after he took the initiative to establish a sort of Middle Eastern variant of the early European bloc, strengthening economic ties and the free flow of people and goods between Turkey, Lebanon, Syria and Jordan. Of course, this move toward reinforcing cooperation with its eastern neighbors led some to question, once again, the AKP’s commitment to the EU accession process.
The architect behind Turkey’s much-debated activist foreign policy repeated what he has said on many previous occasions: Better relations with Iraq, Syria and other countries in the region go hand in hand with an ongoing engagement with the EU. This is first because a confident Turkey that has solved the problems with its neighbors is a far more attractive EU candidate than a Turkey solely focused on keeping its Western ties, turning its back on the countries to its east with which the EU wants to develop better relations.
Secondly, Turkey has been successful lately in the Middle East because it is negotiating with the EU about full membership. If Turkey, for whatever reason, stopped pursuing that goal, its appeal in the region would go down substantially. In my opinion the minister is right in making these points. There is no change in axis. This Turkish government is implementing a policy that was already conceptualized by the late İsmail Cem, the foreign minister in the last Bülent Ecevit government. What the AKP has added to Cem’s original ideas is a strong commercial push for companies close to the party and some ideological fervor based on its religious background. The policy is popular in Turkey and most European observers agree that it makes perfect sense. So far, so good.
But what to think of some other voices from the same party? During a panel at a conference on Turkey’s foreign policy and its impact on transatlantic relations, organized last week by the Istanbul Policy Center and the German Marshall Fund, Suat Kınıklıoğlu, a leading AKP member of Parliament, gave a remarkable answer to a question posed to him on the importance of the EU for the AKP. According to the influential foreign-affairs expert, Turkey does not really need the EU anymore. Its economy is strong enough to do without a union that is struggling with its own financial problems and the reforms will continue because there are strong domestic forces behind them.
The same day, at a Turkish-Arab forum, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan lashed out at the EU for having double standards and for lacking a real conviction on Turkey’s future inside the bloc. The barely concealed message, it seems, was this: Why bother any longer with these Europeans, always nagging; let’s put all our money on better relations with our Arab brothers, always accommodating.
What to make of these confusing statements? They come from the same party. It looks like leading members of that party disagree strongly on the importance of the EU for Turkey and for the AKP and they do not mind expressing these differences openly. Maybe it is time that the party leader makes it clear, once and for all, what his party’s position is. Critical on the EU when necessary, but convinced that Turkey’s future is with the union? Or fed up with negotiations that seem to go nowhere and confident enough to try and become a global player without the EU anchor? What will it be, prime minister?

Hayalet
12-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Why would the EU chase Turkey in any event? The only objectively identifiable advantage Turkey has to offer is that it's a large market and Turkey is already a member of the EU Customs Union since 1996.

Graus
12-25-2012, 09:00 PM
I simply answered why some people could still consider it beneficial to Turkey to enter the sinking ship.
Besides your politicians know they dont have a real chance of joining anyway, I wouldnt bet it would stay this way if a real chance would be offered. Anyway its a chance we cant take.

MfA_
12-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Last time Turks entered Concert of Europe the country had been torn apart following years.. better not joining this time..

legolasbozo
12-25-2012, 09:11 PM
When turkey lost her lust for EU., they are always deceive Turkey with seductive words and moves. Remember monsieur sarkozy, after his flubs he declared Turkish year, the Eiffel Tower litted up with the colors of the Turkish flag. And they took a big well done! by us.

we have always knew what they did, but we pretend like we don't. But things has been changed, so we don't have to be seen as "fooled" for their hugs. Turks don't give a flying "f" for their attributes. they know that well now, so they are trying another way, "don't be so self-confident, your economy may be booming but tomorrow is not certain, so don't act like a challenge us" they just wanted to see old underdog Turkey. By the way, they also wanted us to take the fugitive immigrants responsibility. So they won't have to pay their expenses. So they are trying to seem sweet, and they are playing visa card for turkey.

Talvi
12-25-2012, 09:31 PM
We are not going to save your sinking ship.And I don't want to feed Europeans thx.

Sorry, but you cant even feed your own people. My bf tells me about 40% of the population dont have (proper) jobs.

Siberian Cold Breeze
12-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Sorry, but you cant even feed your own people. My bf tells me about 40% of the population dont have (proper) jobs.

This is an even better reason .In this region we are only people do not depending on oil ,religion or EU funds.We have to work for a life ,proper or improper ..any job..Turkish people may be temperamental and not orderly but hardworking

legolasbozo
12-25-2012, 09:40 PM

:picard1:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/oct/31/europe-unemployment-rate-by-country-eurozone

Talvi
12-25-2012, 09:48 PM
:picard1:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/oct/31/europe-unemployment-rate-by-country-eurozone

Sorry, but half of Turkey looks like this:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/capnolagina/DSC_0800-1_zps49d20b01.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/capnolagina/DSC_0805_zpsc8287e18.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/capnolagina/DSC_0654-1_zps5ef221f7.jpg

And what half of the working people seem to do is sell napkins on the streets.

In many of the EU countries unemplyoment rate may be high, but the only place Ive ever seen poverty like in Turkey was in gypsy regions in Romania and Bulgaria.

Siberian Cold Breeze
12-25-2012, 09:54 PM
And these people leave their house at 5 AM,come back home after long working hours working for low wages under hard conditions or low safety.
They work hard but still not living a life they deserve .Sweatshopping ..:mad:

Should they work for unemployed EU workers wages and securities?
Take Dubai to EU, they have money .

Cannabis Sativa
12-25-2012, 10:12 PM
What?! Turkey isn't a rival for us since the 19th century. You are objectively weaker.

Seriously... We saw that underestimating Turks and their Syrian rebel friends may have severe consequences for Russians. Lots of Baath defectors think otherwise.

Willem
12-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Adding Romania and Bulgaria was already a horrible idea, forget Turkey.

legolasbozo
12-25-2012, 10:40 PM

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/capnolagina/DSC_0805_zpsc8287e18.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/capnolagina/DSC_0654-1_zps5ef221f7.jpg

In many of the EU countries unemplyoment rate may be high, but the only place Ive ever seen poverty like in Turkey was in gypsy regions in Romania and Bulgaria.

İn Turkey rich peoples living there, most of the population living in the streets :( We are so poor that we are eating caviar with bare hands :cry

Mostly gypsy or urban peoples living there, some kind of "Turkish favela" But result of "Turkish economy booming" ; "urban transformation"

http://medya.todayszaman.com/todayszaman/2012/04/22/urban.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yTqYTSeyS5w/TeyQTrqtK2I/AAAAAAAACWc/maKpj1_3vyg/s1600/IMG_8603.jpg

http://85.111.20.14/yenihaber/2012/01/17/120117-103134-416579-CB.jpg

Hayalet
12-25-2012, 11:08 PM

I see no evidence of poverty in that picture, just bad city planning and irregular urbanization. Here is a real measure of poverty:

http://www.gfk.hr/imperia/md/images/gfkcroatia/slike/gfk_purchasing_power_europe_2010.jpg

Onur
12-25-2012, 11:28 PM

Talvi, this is something impossible to completely eliminate in a country with 75 millions of population and as big as Turkey. You can find scenes such as these in anywhere similar to Turkey.

Don't tell me that it`s not possible for Europe because i saw similar places in eastern Germany too, in some tv program where they relate the poorness of some remote corners of Germany. You can also find similar scenes in USA like Georgia or New Orleans, China, Russia, Brazil...

It`s impossible to provide high standards of living to everyone in these countries as our world doesn't have enough resources for that. These countries don't have 2-3 million population in a tiny land, so they cant provide Switzerland standards to everyone, not even if they become richer than USA. There will always poor sides of those.

Siberian Cold Breeze
12-25-2012, 11:40 PM
I wonder what Balkans and Middleast produce..Last time some Balkan countries were buying granma style iron stoves from us.And i dont see products made in these regions.

Lathander
12-25-2012, 11:44 PM

Yes,they do their work under full moon and evaporate when the sun rises,only to be born again at night:tongue

Seriously,the only thing that can be understood from your post is that you probably fought with your boyfriend or broke up.

ficuscarica
12-25-2012, 11:50 PM
Well, the per capita GDP of Turkey is about 20% of South Germany and about 25% of Germany as a whole. This is not particularly impressive, to say it in a polite way. Turkey received development aid from Germany up to 2012.

Incal
12-26-2012, 12:18 AM
@ Talvi: Finally some real talk.

Lathander
12-26-2012, 01:53 AM
@ Talvi: Finally some real talk.

Two more white points.

Incal
12-26-2012, 04:13 AM
Two more white points.

Was expecting a proper rebuttal. But how silly of me.

Partizan
12-26-2012, 04:16 AM
Was expecting a proper rebuttal. But how silly of me.

Altay has already wrote something reasonable, Onur as well. However, you just would like to jump into topic and attack Turks, as always.

Su
12-26-2012, 04:38 AM
Altay has already wrote something reasonable, Onur as well. However, you just would like to jump into topic and attack Turks, as always.

Leave him alone pls, he needs his white points.

Incal
12-26-2012, 04:41 AM

Internet Turks are paranoid. I just agreed with Talvi, Is that a sin?

Hochmeister
12-26-2012, 06:21 AM
And these people leave their house at 5 AM,come back home after long working hours working for low wages under hard conditions or low safety.
They work hard but still not living a life they deserve .Sweatshopping ..:mad:

Should they work for unemployed EU workers wages and securities?
Take Dubai to EU, they have money .

Poor people :(

http://www.gfk.hr/imperia/md/images/gfkcroatia/slike/gfk_purchasing_power_europe_2010.jpg

Greece rulez :D

Lathander
12-26-2012, 09:25 AM

No,it is not of course.But believing half of the population selling napkins on the street and claiming Turkey's economic level by showing photos of some halfly collapsed building is plain stupid.And the most possible reason why you liked that delusion is pathetic.

And please don't agree or disagree on matters you have zero knowledge about.

RussiaPrussia
12-26-2012, 09:35 AM

i dont think that way if you look at the middle east its completely dominated by US and saudi arabia, turkey will never belong to the arabian world because you speak turk language (and you even gave up the arabian alphabet) and so is iran and russia. Turkey is stuck between europe and arabia like the other countries.

Since kazakstan and other turk countries joining the eurasian union its more favorable union.

RussiaPrussia
12-26-2012, 09:39 AM
If you thought wages have dropped now... Just wait until Turkey swamps Europe jobs markets, you are all in for a big big surprise!

fact is all eastern eruopean countries import more than export i posted some data in serbia forum.

Talvi
12-26-2012, 09:44 AM
I see no evidence of poverty in that picture, just bad city planning and irregular urbanization. Here is a real measure of poverty:

To me it looks like poverty. To me there is an incredible amout of poor houses and people. The only place where I dont see so much of it is Izmir and Büyükada. (out of Istanbul, Ankara, Capadokkia, Sirince)

Seriously,the only thing that can be understood from your post is that you probably fought with your boyfriend or broke up.

No. But mt bf hates the Turkish government. If there a protest against the government somewhere, he is in it.

Two more white points.

How many do I need to become a real white girl?

Partizan
12-26-2012, 09:49 AM

I would not talk like that if I would not know your Turkophobic posts here, Anti-Turk Group membership, supporting everything against Turks in Civitas and ABF etc. :coffee:

I guess(or rather know) you have some personal and romantic reasons about that, please seperate your feelings from geopolitics.

RussiaPrussia
12-26-2012, 09:53 AM
i hope turkey joins so everyone sees how pathetic the EU is.

Partizan
12-26-2012, 10:35 AM
To me it looks like poverty. To me there is an incredible amout of poor houses and people. The only place where I dont see so much of it is Izmir and Büyükada. (out of Istanbul, Ankara, Capadokkia, Sirince)

Well, tbh streets of Brussels were just like back alleys of İstiklal, from what I've observed. Without any prejudice, districts like Nişantaşı, Ataköy, Maslak in İstanbul are competitive with decent Western European places(despite I know Esenler or Güngören are really awful, as much as ghettoes of Paris or anywhere else). BTW, Gaziantep and Antakya in south, Trabzon, Samsun and Hopa in north and Kayseri in center are quite nice cities. Amasya in Central-North is one of the most beautiful cities you can ever seen.

Şirince is a village actually, you cannot except a mini-New York. As a person who came from Cappadocia region(raised in Niğde and Aksaray), it depends place to place. Avanos is a good touristic centre also Niğde has an established urban planning. Aksaray, is not that nice though, however not "dying from poverty" either.

No. But mt bf hates the Turkish government. If there a protest against the government somewhere, he is in it.

You told me he is a liberal or a leftie(not a "social fascist" like me :p). I know those kind of guys always like to complain about things(I know because of my socialist parents and liberal classmates/instructors), do not partipicate in anything though(I do not count protests). Do not take it as a personal criticism to your bf, I also dislike how my parents join "No War With Syria" demonstrations while we should do something for Syrian Turkmens and crush PYD. To remind, I am a strict Kemalist who dislikes government for most but I do not like "opposite everything what government does" stance.

How many do I need to become a real white girl?

It was to some triracial guy, who is a self-claimed racial tragedy.

Petros Houhoulis
12-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Seriously... We saw that underestimating Turks and their Syrian rebel friends may have severe consequences for Russians. Lots of Baath defectors think otherwise.

Does anybody seriously believe that the Russians honestly care about the Syrians. In any case, Syria neither has oil nor is anywhere close to Russia. Turkey is sucking up to Russia in every conflict that takes place between them, and acts "bravely" in the other direction!!! Do the Turks consider it brave that they are "kicking" Russia out of an area which should normally not be under the Russian sphere of influence anyway?

Onur
12-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Does anybody seriously believe that the Russians honestly care about the Syrians.
You should quit trying to understand the world politics as you seem to have no way to comprehend it.

You better continue to listen to your pedophile priests in Mount Athos about how your orthodox brother Russians supposedly cares about Greece and pray for the day when Russia supposedly invade Turkey to create your mega hellenic kingdom.

Cannabis Sativa
12-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Does anybody seriously believe that the Russians honestly care about the Syrians. In any case, Syria neither has oil nor is anywhere close to Russia. Turkey is sucking up to Russia in every conflict that takes place between them, and acts "bravely" in the other direction!!! Do the Turks consider it brave that they are "kicking" Russia out of an area which should normally not be under the Russian sphere of influence anyway?

They do care, for their own interests. Syria has no oil, right. Literally there was no conflict between two countries for almost 90 years. But overthrowing infamous Baathist regimes which are far worse than Russians' themselves is something moral. You live in 21th century, not in 20th century. Something in the region changed a lot. This is relevant with morality. Russia is no friend of Syrian people with healthy mindset. The last thing you will interfere actually is the Syrian conflict since they're not your neigbours. So back off!

Leliana
12-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Uhm yeah, underestimating mighty Turkish 'power'. That's why Germany has to take Patriot missile systems to the Turkish-Syrian border...:picard2:

Cannabis Sativa
12-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Uhm yeah, underestimating mighty Turkish 'power'. That's why Germany has to take Patriot missile systems to the Turkish-Syrian border...:picard2:

Patriot Missiles are being set up regarding real-politics, not regarding your 11th century fantasies raising crusades. If you were a member of parliament and opposed the deployment of missiles i would take you serious. Patriot missiles are not a German asset, but NATO asset. Such things are beyond your church's comphrension once claimed the world is flat in fact.

Hayalet
12-26-2012, 02:57 PM
I, for one, wouldn't expect to find slums in Estonia as in Turkey, but like I said, poverty is lack of wealth, not lack of beauty. And thoroughly ugly urban locations are often great centers of commerce.

RussiaPrussia
12-26-2012, 08:31 PM

hahaha thats true its funny thing how people said russia is isolating itself from the middle east for not supporting oppositions, the opposite is true people in the region saw what a russian veto and weapons made out of syria and people will recognize russia as player you can trust and is independent. Are we talking about england or germany who suck all up what america wants?? People said assad is gonna fail early last year and he wasnt.
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fde.ria.ru%2Fbusiness%2F20121224%2F2 65214871.html&act=url
Now russia is gonna get some gas deal in Libya hey i thought they hate us? And iraq is buying up weapons from us. And turkey gets a nuclear plant built by us to be less independent from our gas :lol:.
Turkey should stop being like england or germany sucking everything up what america, eu and wahbi arabia wants.

Just look at turkeys neiborghhood in syria is civil war, greece faicing devastating austerity, iraq just recently recovered from occupation and iran has crippling sanction now everything made by the 3 i mentioned. Its just a matter of time until turkey faces the same, you cant have a good economy in the long term while your neighborhood is fucked up like that. Whos gonna buy your stuff and investing in your country?? Its all going to be the eu and russia but how long will this work??