PDA

View Full Version : science or humanities: which did you choose?

SKYNET
12-24-2012, 01:53 PM
http://sciencebasedlife.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/religion-vs-science.jpg

Smaug
12-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Science.

Absinthe
12-24-2012, 01:54 PM
I chose humanities but I kind of regretted my choice. :)

ficuscarica
12-24-2012, 01:55 PM
I study Christian Theology, which in my opinion falls into both categories.

And frankly, I donīt care whether "natural scientists" with their shallow, leftist propaganda view of Christiany agree or donīt agree.

Balmung
12-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Science > Music > Art > Religion

In that order.

ficuscarica
12-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Science > Music > Art > Religion

Well, improving a couple of decades vs asking questions about eternity. Mathematically seen (good) theology is literally infinitely more worth than "science" (80 years vs infinite number of years).

It reminds me of the parable of the fool who builds his house on sand, with the certain expectation that in a relatively short time everything will rot. The "intelligent", "I donīt care about metaphysical questions" society is probably one of the greatest examples of stupidity in human history.

simple_guy
12-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Science.
Humanities is a great subject in its own right but sadly it is too politicized to take seriously.

Tarja
12-24-2012, 02:02 PM
At school, I assume?

Humanities. Love it as a subject, don't regret it, though I do wish I'd done more in the way of Physics.

Balmung
12-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Well, improving a couple of decades vs asking questions about eternity. Mathematically seen (good) theology is literally infinitely more worth than "science" (80 years vs infinite number of years).

It reminds me of the parable of the fool who builds his house on sand, with the certain expectation that in a relatively short time everything will rot. The "intelligent", "I donīt care about metaphysical questions" society is probably one of the greatest examples of stupidity in human history.

Improving a couple decades?

Medicine, Transportation, & communication will continue to improve lives for centuries to come. A heart transplant can save a life, whereas praying will not.

I'm an Alien when it comes to science. Similar views to Graus, progression should be held above everything.

Virtuous
12-24-2012, 02:28 PM
_______

Svipdag
12-24-2012, 02:30 PM
I chose science and I wish I hadn't. Ever since childhood, I had wanted to be a scientist. Unfortunately, I have very little mathematical ability. Nevertheless, I was stubborn and persistent and, for many years, beat my head ("bloody but unbowed") against the stone wall of mathematics. I love the humanities, but I WANTED TO BE A SCIENTIST !

Well, I finally became a mediocre geologist. "Those who can do; those who can't teach". So, I taught geology for 31 years. It was, until university faculties lost their prestige and became unionised, a satisfying career. However, I had always had a natural knack for language. I could have had a much more satisfying career in that area.

I regret my stubbornness . I made the wrong choice and stuck to it
obstinately. No more pernicious fallacy has ever been promulgated than
"You can if you think you can." If you can't, no amount of false optimism will make you a success.

"O MIHI PRAETERITOS REFERAT SI IVPPITER ANNOS" - PVBLIVS VERGILIVS MARO

Lithium
12-24-2012, 02:31 PM
I would always choose religion and humanities.

SKYNET
12-24-2012, 02:42 PM
I think, I hope a some members of TA have enough talent, skills and knowledge in the area of tech/math.

i'll give you an example: Stefan

antonio
12-24-2012, 02:45 PM
I regret my stubbornness . I made the wrong choice and stuck to it
obstinately. No more pernicious fallacy has ever been promulgated than
"You can if you think you can." If you can't, no amount of false optimism will make you a success.
"O MIHI PRAETERITOS REFERAT SI IVPPITER ANNOS" - PVBLIVS VERGILIVS MARO

I share a similar fate. I was (probably still am) better in Humanities than in Sciences (not bad at all, but nothing too much special) but when Computers came into my life I couldnt resist, moreover at Spain there's a strong prejudice about Humanities being for substandard people (in fact I was convinced for my comrades at last hour to chance my option in Secundary school). The point is I dont regret have been studied Computer Science by itself: but for the redundant role it has now: no need to follow a formal career on such a transversal ubiquotous matter: I feel almost as I had no degree at all.

Lathander
12-24-2012, 02:46 PM

Science is not about expecting everything to be explained in few decades.It is about always increasing your knowledge,answering your questions and always asking new questions instead of creating fairy tales about the unknown.

Odin
02-26-2018, 09:23 PM
Science.