PDA

View Full Version : Insults to Moderators and Administrators

Loki
12-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Please read carefully.

I have recently encountered members being disrespectful towards staff. Be sure that this will in no way be tolerated or go unnoticed (I am keeping an eye out, being incensed recently). Our dedicated staff members are among the finest anywhere on the net. They don't receive a salary for their work. Some of them have come with me on forums for years ... nearly a decade. They are trustworthy and reliable.

Baron Samedi
12-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Fuck you, Trickster boiiii!

Loki
12-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Fuck you, Trickster boiiii!

That is allowed, I'm not a staff member. ;)

Baron Samedi
12-10-2011, 12:11 AM
That is allowed, I'm not a staff member. ;)

mmmmm baby, you know how to press my buttons...

Loki
12-10-2011, 12:12 AM
mmmmm baby, you know how to press my buttons...

I'm ugly, nothing of interest to see here ... :coffee:

:whistle:

Arrow Cross
12-10-2011, 02:41 AM
In other words; they are mods and you will respect their authoritah!

Loki
12-10-2011, 02:43 AM
In other words; they are mods and you will respect their authoritah!

Precisely :thumb001:

rhiannon
12-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Please read carefully.

I have recently encountered members being disrespectful towards staff. Be sure that this will in no way be tolerated or go unnoticed (I am keeping an eye out, being incensed recently). Our dedicated staff members are among the finest anywhere on the net. They don't receive a salary for their work. Some of them have come with me on forums for years ... nearly a decade. They are trustworthy and reliable.

I'm sorry to read this. I happen to think the staff members here are very good and act professionally at all times. :)

Argyll
12-11-2011, 09:22 AM
If I'm correct, I'm good friends with all of the mods on here :)

SilverKnight
12-20-2011, 06:27 AM
The authority is always right, like it or not

and it isn't hard to get along with people . .

Heart of Oak
02-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Gotta luv em!

Loki
02-09-2012, 01:41 AM
Gotta luv em!

They are good, and carefully selected :)

As I said, I anticipate the forum to grow a lot this year, and we will need more mods. There is absolutely no way for staff to read all posts - the forum is already too busy. Only a few months ago, we were considered 'busy' when 80 members were online (with an hour cookie timeout) - but now recently we see up to 140 members online. Not to even talk about the hundreds of guest readers.

Therefore .. to make a long story short, we will need and appoint more moderators in the future (most of them 'green' ones to look after particular sections). There are many potential candidates, we have so many great members in this community. And, if anyone is 'overlooked' for a staff position please do not take it personally, you are noticed and appreciated. These things just take time. :)

Sikeliot
03-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I hate to have to post on here about this but I feel it must be said.

Just a reminder, because I think that some of us have lost sight of this fact in the past week while in the midst of what would otherwise be a productive debate.. if you have an issue with something a staff member does or says, you're more than welcome to message us and take it up with us in private.. and if you prefer the way another moderator handles the issue rather than the one you feel the need to (politely) confront, you may certainly message them about it too. But there is no excuse for rudely attacking any staff member publicly on the board, and it will not be tolerated. We all do the best we can to make this forum safe, fun, and enjoyable for all and while praise and appreciation is not required, all that is asked is that any issues had will be taken up in a polite and constructive manner.

Mordid
03-04-2012, 10:11 PM
i better shush my mouth before they will have my arse banned. :D

Sikeliot
03-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Don't worry, it was just a general reminder. You're not going to get banned. :hug:

Kazimiera
12-26-2012, 06:11 PM
It seems to have become popular nowadays to insult staff. This will NOT be tolerated. If you have an issue with a member of staff, please raise it respectfully with that member of refer to another member of staff to deal with the issue.

Personal insults and slurs will be dealt with accordingly. If you want to insult someone also be prepared to deal with the consequences.

Think before you speak.

The rules of common courtesy apply. Respect needs to be earned, common courtesy applies to EVERYONE.

Zmey Gorynych
12-26-2012, 06:14 PM
I don't know if I'm allowed to post in this thread but respect (I guess that's what you're calling for here) is something one has to earn. That's all I have to say about this.

Kazimiera
12-26-2012, 06:17 PM
I don't know if I'm allowed to post in this thread but respect (I guess that's what you're calling for here) is something one has to earn. That's all I have to say about this.

There is a difference between respect and common courtesy. Respect needs to be earned, but the rules of common courtesy apply to everyone whether you respect them or not.

tEhSaint
12-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Yes, Moderators and Admins must be respected, as long as they (Mods and Admins) respect the rest of the members.

Just to remind you, Admins and Mods are just regular members with more privileges. I don't see why they should have special treatment.

Thank you.

Slycooper
12-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Respect goes both ways.

Kazimiera
12-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Yes, Moderators and Admins must be respected, as long as they (Mods and Admins) respect the rest of the members.

Just to remind you, Admins and Mods are just regular members with more privileges. I don't see why they should have special treatment.

Thank you.

This is not about respect. This is about rules of common courtesy which apply to EVERYONE here, including mods and admins. If you feel these rules have been breached, please report the issue to another mod or admin to deal with the matter.

Peyrol
12-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Personal insults like ''slut, idiot, bitch, loser, i'll never fuck with you even if you will be last woman on Earth, etc'' as it happened in last times aren't something that ''must be earned'', are only a bad disrespect of the basic and civil coexistence rules.

Sikeliot
12-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Respect is earned, but treating everyone with common decency is an expectation if you want to be part of this community.

tEhSaint
12-26-2012, 06:31 PM
This is not about respect. This is about rules of common courtesy which apply to EVERYONE here, including mods and admins. If you feel these rules have been breached, please report the issue to another mod or admin to deal with the matter.

That wasn't directed to you. I am just pointing out that there is no reason to open a thread like this.

It looks like a discrimination between regular members and Mods/ Admins. Although I believe you had no intention like this.

But if there is/was some particular conflict between a Mod and a Member, it should be posted as an individual case.

Don't generalize it, as I said, it looks like discrimination, and more specifically Mods/Admins VS Members and that honestly , looks awful from my PoV .

Kazimiera
12-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Unfortunately, I would not be opening a thread like this if it was not necessary.

And as mods and admins deal with some rather uncomfortable things at times where a decision needs to be taken in favour of one person and against another, it can cause tempers to flare.

I do agree with you that it looks bad, but unfortunately these things need to be said regardless of how they look.

Smaug
12-26-2012, 06:38 PM
That wasn't directed to you. I am just pointing out that there is no reason to open a thread like this.

It looks like a discrimination between regular members and Mods/ Admins. Although I believe you had no intention like this.

But if there is/was some particular conflict between a Mod and a Member, it should be posted as an individual case.

Don't generalize it, as I said, it looks like discrimination, and more specifically Mods/Admins VS Members and that honestly , looks awful from my PoV .

There are many reasons to open this thread. It was not just an isolated case, insulting staff has become something very popular in the past days. Some staff members are constantly being attacked by some members, and it is causing a big headache in all of us.

Slycooper
12-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Now I have never had a problem with a mod or Admin. But I do agree that the title does make it seem that they are more "important" than members.

Sikeliot
12-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Now I have never had a problem with a mod or Admin. But I do agree that the title does make it seem that they are more "important" than members.

I don't think it's that any of us think we're more important, but rather that some are not thankful for the amount of effort and time we put into making sure the forum is a fun place for all. Not that I personally want appreciation, but when people are disrespectful it kind of hurts.

I just think we should all respect one another -- mod, admin, etc. Just treat everyone how YOU want to be treated.

Kazimiera
12-26-2012, 06:44 PM

Nobody is more important than another. But we have been given a task here to maintain some degree of order and make it a safe and pleasant place for ALL members, not just some. It therefore puts us in a place where we do have make some important decisions which are not always popular and will draw criticism.

Slycooper
12-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Nobody is more important than another. But we have been given a task here to maintain some degree of order and make it a safe and pleasant place for ALL members, not just some. It therefore puts us in a place where we do have make some important decisions which are not always popular and will draw criticism.

Yes I agree. But where i'm coming from is this. In a hypothetical situation a Mod/Admin insults me. Telling a Mod/Admin is kind of like running to the principles office. Most of the members here are adults so if a Mod insults me I feel like I have a right to take it up with that person as an adult. Obv in respectful manner though.

Sikeliot
12-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Yes I agree. But where i'm coming from is this. In a hypothetical situation a Mod/Admin insults me. Telling a Mod/Admin is kind of like running to the principles office. Most of the members here are adults so if a Mod insults me I feel like I have a right to take it up with that person. Obv in respectful manner though.

If a mod or admin insults you, I would say come to me, one of the other admins (i.e. Kazimiera), or Loki.

Slycooper
12-26-2012, 07:05 PM
If a mod or admin insults you, I would say come to me, one of the other admins (i.e. Kazimiera), or Loki.

But before that. As an Adult shoulden't I be able to respond to the Mod/Admin? Obv I'm not going to start swearing but I feel that I have a right to make it known to that person that I did not condone what he/she said.

Sikeliot
12-26-2012, 07:07 PM
But before that. As an Adult shoulden't I be able to respond to the Mod/Admin? Obv I'm not going to start swearing but I feel that I have a right to make it known to that person that I did not condone what he/she said.

All you would need to say (if anything) is something like, "I think you're treating me unfairly, and I am going to go to another mod or admin" and then you do it. Arguing back will just prolong unnecessary argument.

Kazimiera
12-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Yes I agree. But where i'm coming from is this. In a hypothetical situation a Mod/Admin insults me. Telling a Mod/Admin is kind of like running to the principles office. Most of the members here are adults so if a Mod insults me I feel like I have a right to take it up with that person as an adult. Obv in respectful manner though.

If you can sort it out with that person for example by pm, then by all means do so. But some people feel they have to resort to insults to try and sort the other party out, who just retaliates and it turns into a huge mess which is unpleasant for everyone. We are all adults, but not everyone acts like adults all the time. Some people need reminding.

In the case where this becomes a shit-flinging contest and people are feeling insulted, then it needs to be reported.

Here is a thread with the guidelines of reporting for everyone's benefit.

http://theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65828

Dacul
12-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Take Graham,how come he is never insulted,same with Kazimiera or Pallantides?Same with Sikeliot,I never saw someone insulting him.
Because they are not insulting others either.

Slycooper
12-26-2012, 07:13 PM
If you can sort it out with that person for example by pm, then by all means do so. But some people feel they have to resort to insults to try and sort the other party out, who just retaliates and it turns into a huge mess which is unpleasant for everyone. We are all adults, but not everyone acts like adults all the time. Some people need reminding.

In the case where this becomes a shit-flinging contest and people are feeling insulted, then it needs to be reported.

Here is a thread with the guidelines of reporting for everyone's benefit.

http://theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65828

Exactly where I was coming from:thumb001:

Sikeliot
12-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Take Graham,how come he is never insulted,same with Kazimiera or Pallantides?Same with Sikeliot,I never saw someone insulting him.

Oh, I have. But for different reasons. But that's irrelevant in this thread. :p

Just remember the "golden rule", everyone.

Piparskeggr
12-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Oh, I have. But for different reasons. But that's irrelevant in this thread. :p

Just remember the "golden rule", everyone.

He who has the Gold make the Rules? :p

Zmey Gorynych
12-26-2012, 07:29 PM
All you would need to say (if anything) is something like, "I think you're treating me unfairly, and I am going to go to another mod or admin" and then you do it. Arguing back will just prolong unnecessary argument.

That seems so civilized, soft and sterile :) Reminds me of the Equilibrium or 1984 movies or George Orwell's novel (I don't want you to think that I base my general knowledge on cinematography). ONE. SHALL. NOT. HAVE. EMOTIONS. (robot speaking). Where I come from if someone has a go at you you punch his lights out, then you talk :) It also creates a discrepancy between mods and the common folk because if the mod misbehaves the member is not allowed to defend himself in the way he feels he should. Revenge you see is one the most gratifying experiences a man can have. In other words the mod can mistreat(insult) and maybe he'll be dealt with afterwards (after extended deliberations, off course) but the member can not mistreat (insult) back for it breaks the basic rule of common courtesy.

Indeed, no realistic man expects equality, this just doesn't happen anymore here or elsewhere. What one would want though is not to be fed this bullshit illusion of equality. A member may insult a mod but the mods insult everyone's intellect by saying oh no we just want equal treatment for everyone :) Well isn't this just the perfect world !?

Piparskeggr
12-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Actually, no, it isn't a perfect world and I've long thought that equality is a myth.

However, I do prefer to treat everyone with friendliness and courtesy until they earn otherwise, either friendship and respect or enmity and disregard.

Queen B
12-26-2012, 08:11 PM
That seems so civilized, soft and sterile :)
You don't have to ''report'' your future actions, just go to an Admin and mention your problems.

Trun
12-26-2012, 08:15 PM
What about regular members being allowed to vote who can be mod or not? For example, a mod (won't mention who he is, but Bulgarian and Greek members definitely know who I'm talking about) is a hardcore troll who uses his position to "greet" us and constantly spam nonsense, then delete the bullshit he and his compatriots write about us. At the same time, much better posters aren't promoted.

Kazimiera
12-26-2012, 08:49 PM
What about regular members being allowed to vote who can be mod or not? For example, a mod (won't mention who he is, but Bulgarian and Greek members definitely know who I'm talking about) is a hardcore troll who uses his position to "greet" us and constantly spam nonsense, then delete the bullshit he and his compatriots write about us. At the same time, much better posters aren't promoted.

I don't know by which criteria Loki chooses his moderators.

If you have issues regarding this moderator, then please report it to me directly.

Graus
12-26-2012, 09:14 PM
With all due respect but you are the guys who have actually the means to deal with such people. Not directly insulting the people with the ban hammer should be common sense. This being said: some mods are a lot more controversial than others and kinda provoke hostiliy. So I personally think the circumstances should be more important than the status of the "victim".

Laubach
12-27-2012, 05:23 PM

Leveraging what you said, I'd like to retract.

I've insulted Sikeliot sometimes( being racist), because of his/her:confused: origins in Cape Verde.

I already apologized and that was solved in the past, but it was an attitude which I dislike. I was stupid and I understand that they have better ways to resolve things without offending others.

I also had some problems with Loki and Leliana, but we were both in a bad mood and has also been resolved. However, I would like to apologize publicly (it makes time and we understand each other in private) because I think the right thing to do.

I do not know anyone personally, but education is a basic principle and sometimes I was not educated.

So, I leave my public apology

Pallantides
12-27-2012, 05:28 PM
rIVHNylH1Mk

Frigga
12-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Regular members don't have a say over who gets promoted, because it's a staff decision. The boss man has to think of who is a good fit for his staff, and who he is able to work with. He also wants to find someone who is able to keep their cool, and is also an active poster. And then, the person he picks has to accept that offer. Many people have been offered, but not everyone accepts. It's a huge time commitment, with no pay, and little appreciation from the regular posters of what staff really has to go through. You have to read a lot more threads that you would normally not read, and for some, that can be torturous. Then you have to deal with everyone coming to staff with every little problem, and every little fight. It feels like you're a yard duty at kindergarten. "Teacher, little Billy pushed me!" "Billy, don't push Bobby!" "Well Bobby spat in my face!" "Well you called me bad names!" On top of that, you have to try to come up with decisions that will please the most amount of people, but that will never happen, you are not able to please everyone. On a forum of this size, there are a lot of fights. Staff are able to have short tempers from having to deal with the same type of thing day in and day out, and to feel like they are misunderstood, and that people don't realize just how much effort goes into making sure that a forum this big actually works.

You can make your own forum on a free forums platform, and see how it goes. It's a lot more work then you would realize. :wink

Germanicus
12-27-2012, 06:35 PM

He who has the bigger stick wins the fight!

Piparskeggr
12-27-2012, 10:57 PM
He who has the bigger stick wins the fight!

But those with too big a stick may find it too unwieldy. :D

Svipdag
12-27-2012, 11:05 PM

{sigh} The only thing less common than common courtesy is common sense.

Stefan
12-27-2012, 11:16 PM
I don't think the point was "staff are untouchable and others are free to be harassed." It's more of a public warning that staff, like other members, will not be attacked and are justified with any punishment agreed upon (by the staff) for such harassment. Often members bring up the concern that staff members might be biased when banning somebody for insults against them [the staff], but this is certainly not the case, as the staff are just as much members as anybody else. If you find that you are being harassed or insulted and nobody is reacting, then the solution is to report it. Yes, it's not a democracy nor do members have the power to control things, but that is the nature of Loki's forum, and it is not a right to exist here as it is in the real world, but a privilege. (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/misc.php?do=cfrules) Now if Loki disagrees with a decision by the staff, he expresses it, and tells them to change it, and in his absence he places somebody in charge to act in his place. So there is, indeed, a hierarchy in authority and moderators/admins are not only subjected to this hierarchy but also decisions by their peers. Often it ends up similar to how a jury works, in which we all [staff] agree on one decision of guilt or innocence and the guidelines to the punishment are given.

Mr.crowley
12-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Moderators= Gods

Brynhild
12-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Respect is earned, but treating everyone with common decency is an expectation if you want to be part of this community.

Some of us have exceedingly long memories in regards as to what this constitutes.

Anglojew
05-18-2013, 12:24 AM
Great thread. Is this where we insult staff?

(I'm joking, you guys do a great job!)

King Claus
05-18-2013, 12:30 AM
Schnaps im Kopf, du holde Braut, steck Bratwurst in dein Sauerkraut.

Virtuous
05-18-2013, 12:32 AM
All mods and admins suck, BIG TIME.

Germanicus
05-18-2013, 11:16 AM
All mods and admins suck, BIG TIME.

The secret of moderation is moderation with politeness, I feel we have this.

Sultan Suleiman
05-18-2013, 11:19 AM
How about former moderators?

Germanicus
05-18-2013, 11:21 AM

Former moderators? We have had some fantastic team members in the past, they helped make TA.

Loki has always considered me to be a loose cannon and i will never be asked to moderate. :)

Loki
05-18-2013, 11:21 AM

What - you want to insult Arberori? :P

Loki
05-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Former moderators? We have had some fantastic team members in the past, they helped make TA.

We have much better moderators now. And no they didn't make it, some tried to break it :p

Sultan Suleiman
05-18-2013, 11:23 AM
What - you want to insult Arberori? :P

Leliana too.

Loki
05-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Leliana too.

Insults to no members are allowed. This is not limited to staff. But to staff you have to show respect and follow their instructions. That's the only difference.

Sultan Suleiman
05-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Insults to no members are allowed. This is not limited to staff. But to staff you have to show respect and follow their instructions. That's the only difference.

You are asking too much (talking about Lewliana)...

Germanicus
05-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Speaking for myself I have never insulted any moderating staff, and I find it beneath me to do so.

Loki
05-18-2013, 11:28 AM
You are asking too much (talking about Lewliana)...

It's up to you if you want to get banned or not. Rules are rules, unfortunately :)

MarkyMark
05-21-2013, 09:26 PM
I don't think anybody convinced somebody in an argument by yelling at them.