PDA

View Full Version : Closest to Hungarians, Italians or Swedes?

Dombra
12-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Who are the closest to Hungarians of Swedes and Italians?

Dombra
12-28-2012, 10:35 PM
You may speculate about the culture too my lovlies

Žołnir
01-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Italians 100%! Its logic large part of modern west Hungary was part of Roman empire settlers also came from Italian areas. Later when Slavs, Avars, etc, came they assimilated them so by time of Hungars some of those genes survived. Kingdom of Hungary had far superior contacts with Italy in many ways. With Sweden contacts were limited in all ways.

Mans not hot
01-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Italians, especially North East part.

Windischer
01-05-2013, 12:05 AM
hmm none are really close. but i guess if italians like spicy food, then its them. however hungarians in some regions have very high % of assimilated slavic population for example Budapest, or valley of hernad/hornad river north from miskolc which has very high % of Byzantine catholics - their ancestors were rusnak settlers from carpathians. culture there is very carpatho-slavic, festive costumes, traditions etc...
also Székelyek (seklers) in transilvania are a distinct group of hungarians, or csángós who live east of carpathians
italians are predominantly roman catholic, hungarians have roman catholic majority i think, and calvinist, byzantine catholic minorities. however they seem to be more religious than swedes, so in this matter closer to italians again.

in the end i dont know much about swedes neither italians (dont remember a lot from our vacation on gargano peninsula - vieste is beautiful), although i do have some knowledge of my hungarian neighbours (i see border from window in my room and visited various parts of hungary)

edit: yeah i actually forgot, many italian architects built things in hungary

Mans not hot
01-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Italians, especially North East part.
I meant Hungarians are genetically closer to North East Italians than to Swedes.

Kalimtari
11-09-2013, 08:26 PM
50/50 both

Ianus
11-09-2013, 08:56 PM
I they are different from both

Baldur
11-09-2013, 09:23 PM
my cousin is engaged to a hungarian girl and they have a son so i guess they are kind of close?

Septentrion
05-02-2018, 11:02 AM
Who are the closest to Hungarians of Swedes and Italians?

Italians of course!

Videx
05-26-2018, 05:08 PM
Neither is really close, but Italy if I really have to choose.
As mentioned before western Hungary was part of the Roman Empire.

And we even have a festival to remember that :)
http://blog21.hu/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/savaria-karrneval-800x445.jpg