PDA

View Full Version : Ayup.

Spitfire
08-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Yer lovely Norse friend HawkR tumbled across me on a wee site called Omegle, an' look where it got him. ;P

Don' ask me how to pronouce my name, can' even do it meself. Not a speaker o' Gaelic, I jus' be interested in the Irish as there's a chance I got some in me bloodline. Me da' used to do a whole lot of genealogy an' ancestry, an' he's got Nordic ancestors which means 'ey, so do I. 'Tis all I know for sure 'bout my lineage, mind.

I'm a rough talkin' sometimes-lassie-sometimes-bloke from Great Britain, an' I like to mix my slang, so I'll be tryin' not to confuse ya all. Both parents are Yorkshire, yet I'm livin' currently in Lancashire. Was born here too but don't be tellin' no-one. =P Yorkie at heart, I am.

So aye, I be a Yorkiela' wi' Nordic heritage and maybe Irish an' prolly some others. Tha's all the 'who I am' malark out th' way.

(By the by, I tend to type how I talk. 'f that rubs anyone th' wrong way I'll be happy to stop, aye? C: )

I'm a lover o' fantasy, art an' readin'. Lover o' manga and anime here, hopin' to be an illustrator in th' future. Hope to get to know ya lovely folk here, I've 'eard good stuff!

Feel free t'call me what y'see fit. Prolly end up be changin' my username at some stage, as that damn accent is makin' it more difficult than anticipat'd. XD

S'yeah. That be about it, I be reckonin'. Greetin's. *waves*

Electronic God-Man
08-04-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm a rough talkin' sometimes-lassie-sometimes-bloke from Great Britain

Welcome. Transvestite?

Thorum
08-04-2009, 10:51 PM
So you like AC/DC? ;) Welcome and enjoy the hospitality...

Perhaps I should have just welcomed with a simple "Err, interesting development" to use a good friends' line...:)

HawkR
08-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Hello Sgàil:D Pronounce the "g" far back in the troath and I think you got it, if I'm right though:p Welcome to the forum:D Hopefully you'll have a great time here as I have had and will have (I might be talking for all of us at the forum now:))

And I must also thank Loki, our dear leader (besides Artic Fox) for the useful link to Omegle:D

Spitfire
08-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Welcome. Transvestite?

Nah, bigender. Change me mental gender dependin' how I'm feelin', though I'm biologically a lady. I'm big on gender issues an' th'like. C:

Google'd do a better explanation th'n me, mind...

'Ello to Hawky, m'lad! :D

Brännvin
08-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Hi and Welcome :)

Vargtand
08-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Welcome :)

Nah, bigender. Change me mental gender dependin' how I'm feelin', though I'm biologically a lady. I'm big on gender issues an' th'like. C:

Google'd do a better explanation th'n me, mind...

'Ello to Hawky, m'lad! :D

Queer feminism?

The Lawspeaker
08-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Interesting development.. err welcome aboard. Miss/Sir ? :)

Spitfire
08-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Interesting development.. err welcome aboard. Miss/Sir ? :)

Not fussy, really. ^^

Good t'meet all yer fine selves!

Frigga
08-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Quite a colorful intro! :D

Welcome

Vulpix
08-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Hey I like your avatar ^^. Welcome!

Spitfire
08-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Queer feminism?

'Eck nah. Not be into feminism meself. Seems to me that when that happens, th' lads get dissed as much as the ladies did and that ends up a sort o' "reverse-sexism". Jus' my opinions, o'course. I'm jus' not one to see gender as an important issue. C:

Ah, an' may I jus' add, Apricity be a lovely forum name.

Righ', off t'bed wi' me. I'm intendin' to take a gander around the rest of th' forums soon!

Vulpix
08-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Ah, an' may I jus' add, Apricity be a lovely forum name.

WinterMoon
08-04-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm jus' not one to see gender as an important issue. C:

So, why not consider yourself genderless then? :thumb001:

And if not important, then why bring it up at all? :thumbs up:thumbs up

Spitfire
08-04-2009, 11:17 PM
So, why not consider yourself genderless then? :thumb001:

And if not important, then why bring it up at all? :thumbs up:thumbs up

('Kay I'm really honestly goin' to sleep soon. -_-)

'Cause I'm not genderless. I have a gender - it jus' changes.

Aaaand. 'Cause a) Seuth asked, an' b) I figured sooner or later people're gonna ask if I mention it in passin', so why not get it out the way before'and? c:

Vargtand
08-04-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm jus' not one to see gender as an important issue. C:

That is an opinion that is held by equality junkies, wrongfully so, gender is important, it is more important than creed or race, culture or religion. Due to our difference we react differently, we value things differently we remember things differently. the common misconception from women is that men and women are alike, that we if you shave away learned behaviour we would be the same.

Remember though that female murderers in prison show elevated levels of testosterone than average women. but their levels are trivial compared to the men with the least amount of testosterone, surely this speaks about the self restrain and self control men must at all time exercise, and equally this is tell tail to the lack of self control women need. You can not understand us. You (women) may be able to mimic but you lack the same drive that we have.

Gender is not trivial nor is it unimportant. It is the first thing that sets humans apart from each others then everything else follows.

Spitfire
08-04-2009, 11:27 PM
That is an opinion that is held by equality junkies, wrongfully so, gender is important, it is more important than creed or race, culture or religion. Due to our difference we react differently, we value things differently we remember things differently. the common misconception from women is that men and women are alike, that we if you shave away learned behaviour we would be the same.

Remember though that female murderers in prison show elevated levels of testosterone than average women. but their levels are trivial compared to the men with the least amount of testosterone, surely this speaks about the self restrain and self control men must at all time exercise, and equally this is tell tail to the lack of self control women need. You can not understand us. You (women) may be able to mimic but you lack the same drive that we have.

Gender is not trivial nor is it unimportant. It is the first thing that sets humans apart from each others then everything else follows.

Never said there weren't a difference. If there weren't a difference then I WOULD be genderless, aye? I jus' don't see gender in a person as important. Their personality counts t'me. Whether that's dictated by their gender or not don't matter to me, savvy?

Maybe m'tired but that came off as a tad patronisin' and I'd 'ppreciate a refrain from such comments in that line o' nature, thanks. All entitled to our own 'pinions.

Lady L
08-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Welcome:wave ....I think ...:p

Edit: Is it just me or are you using mostly black slang ...?

anonymaus
08-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Welcome! I rejigged this from a previous intro thread... :D

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2381&stc=1&d=1249428669

Osweo
08-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Tyke Pie-heads with a gender problem? :eek:
Ee bah gum, an ah theawt ah'd sin it aw be neaw! Um, well-like, ah spose we'll jus aff te see ow this un goes, woahn't wi?

Oo, ang on, heifer in't top field's gone an bluddy come deawn wi masticks again, so ah'll be seein thee later! :yo:

The Lawspeaker
08-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Welcome:wave ....I think ...:p

Edit: Is it just me or are you using mostly black slang ...?
No I think that I recognize some English slang (Northern English because she is from Yorkshire ?) or dialect. The blacks usually just nicked some slang from those around them.

Lady L
08-04-2009, 11:37 PM
No I think that I recognize some English slang (Northern English because she is from Yorkshire ?) or dialect. The blacks usually just nicked some slang from those around them.

Either way seems kinda silly

Spitfire
08-04-2009, 11:37 PM
I c'n shut up with th'type-how-I-talk if'n you want, I did mention that. c:

(I think my apostrophe key migh' thank me f'r it, mind.)

(And Oswiu? No gender problem 's far as I can be seein' here. >>)

The Lawspeaker
08-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Either way seems kinda silly
I actually respectfully disagree with you here. Being fluent in dialect is actually quite preservationistic IMHO. :) But the question remains whether this lassielad speaks/writes The Queen's English too ?

Vargtand
08-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Never said there weren't a difference. If there weren't a difference then I WOULD be genderless, aye? I jus' don't see gender in a person as important. Their personality counts t'me. Whether that's dictated by their gender or not don't matter to me, savvy?

Maybe m'tired but that came off as a tad patronisin' and I'd 'ppreciate a refrain from such comments in that line o' nature, thanks. All entitled to our own 'pinions.

I never said you said there was not a difference. I commented on your presumption that gender was unimportant, when truthfully so it is one of the core pillars that our entire personality is built upon.

Gender as all biology, every gene you have in your body creates a framework in which your personality is allowed to exist. you can of course break a person and have that person react highly a-typical as to what is expected from a person of that race and gender, but they it will still be accordingly to what their biology permits them too. after all no mater how many people you throw out of a plane, none of them will ever develop flight.

As for how you judge people based on their personality, that is as far as I know the most common way to judge a person, and as far as I know have always been so. that was how ever not what you stated in the post which I directed my reply too.

I am not patronising you, I'm writing towards you in the same fashion I would write to anyone who stated exactly the same thing. It is my weakness I treat everyone the same.

Spitfire
08-04-2009, 11:41 PM
I actually respectfully disagree with you here. Being fluent in dialect is actually quite preservationistic IMHO. :) But the question remains whether this lassielad speaks/writes The Queen's English too ?

If need be. I just find it way more entertaining the other way. XD See, look! Full words!

Vargtand, I'll reply to that tomorrow when I'm rested and can think properly. Yes?

(Look! MORE full words!)

The Lawspeaker
08-04-2009, 11:44 PM
If need be. I just find it way more entertaining the other way. XD See, look! Full words!
Very well. My English is well enough but I don't understand Yorkshire dialect at all - And I think that the majority here on this forum has some problems understanding dialect as well. But I invite you to write something about it in the proper section (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74). :) I am always willing to learn something new.

For now- as you seem to be tired: I wish you a very good night and I am sure that you will be here tomorrow ?

Spitfire
08-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Very well. My English is well enough but I don't understand Yorkshire dialect at all - as will the majority here on this forum. But I invite you to write something about it in the proper section. :) I am always willing to learn something new.

Silly me didn't consider there'd be people here without English as a first language. I think Full Words-ing is from now on might be fairer to them, whether I'm aware of them or not.

Don't know if you're around, non-English-first-language-people, but I apologise if you hadn't a clue what I was on about. ^^"

Osweo
08-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Ah were akchully in the East Riding the other day, a Lancastrian marooned on the far side of Enemy Country on its national holiday. :eek:

Didst do owt fer 'Yorkshire Day', ar Skoyle?

What part of <grits teeth> "God's Own County" do you hail from, anyroad?

Aemma
08-05-2009, 02:39 AM
Silly me didn't consider there'd be people here without English as a first language. I think Full Words-ing is from now on might be fairer to them, whether I'm aware of them or not.

Don't know if you're around, non-English-first-language-people, but I apologise if you hadn't a clue what I was on about. ^^"

Bahh no worries Spitfire (sorry the accent is troublesome so I'm giving you a new monicker :D). It wasn't that hard to figure out once you got in the groove of it. Goodness knows some of us have gotten lessons from Oswiu over the past while so it wasn't too bad of an exercise, really. Actually it was kinda of fun to read. And I have to agree with Lawspeaker in that I find your choice of written expression quite the show of preservationism. Some of us French Canucks here when we talk among ourselves speak our own slang and write the way we speak. It's more than likely unintelligible to non-Canadian Frenchies but at least we understand one another and we're keeping our culture alive. :) So hats off to you for trying! :)

Anyroad, as Oswiu likes to say, welcome here Spitfire. I think it's pretty nifty that HawkR befriended you on that Omegle thingie. I hope you like it here and enjoy your stay. :)

Cheers for now!...Aemma

Lady L
08-05-2009, 03:00 AM
Ok so- sorry I misunderstood what was going on- I wouldn't know any Yorkshire accent since I never heard one ;)

But I admit I do like you more when you type in full words! :D Maybe something in between the 2 will work good :)

Welcome again! :thumbs up

Smaland
08-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Welcome to the forum. :)

Spitfire
08-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Bahh no worries Spitfire

Y'know, I was lying in bed last night going "Sgàil is gonna be a pain to log in with. I'll need a new name." And all I could come up with was Spitfire. ARE YOU WATCHING ME, AEMMA!? :D

That's awesome-creepy, really. If anyone hasn't got a protest to me doing it so early, I may go change my name to that now.

And thanks to all of ya for your welcomes!

Äike
08-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Welcome to The Apricity.

Treffie
08-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Y'know, I was lying in bed last night going "Sgàil is gonna be a pain to log in with. I'll need a new name." And all I could come up with was Spitfire. ARE YOU WATCHING ME, AEMMA!? :D

That's awesome-creepy, really. If anyone hasn't got a protest to me doing it so early, I may go change my name to that now.

You sound like fun, :D welcome to The Apricity.

Fortis in Arduis
08-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Hi!

Allenson
08-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Love the broad Yorkshire. :)

And howdy, too.

Aemma
08-05-2009, 04:09 PM
LOL Yep I'm the Great Eye in the Sky, dontcha know! ;) Scary eh? :P

And as Arawn said, you DO sound like an awful lot of fun! :)

So go change that name of yours now Spitfire and have fun here! :thumb001:

Allenson
08-05-2009, 04:23 PM
It's funny--"ayup" is very much an old time New England expression meaning 'yes'.

And I've heard Oswiu and his 'ayup-me-duck' or whatever exactly it is. ;)

Zyklop
08-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Hello and welcome.

Does your name have anything to do with the British fighter plane Spitfire?

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6245/img12y.jpg

Spitfire
08-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Hello and welcome.

Does your name have anything to do with the British fighter plane Spitfire?

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6245/img12y.jpg

I saw one of those last weekend. Beautiful machines.

And it does, in a way. c: The other reason being the word meaning a feisty person. ^^ I love old military memorabilia and machines...

Hello to the rest of you guys too!

Inese
08-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Hello. :rolleyes:
Silly me didn't consider there'd be people here without English as a first language.
Ja weisch kei ´Ursach esch schwätzed ebn jeder wiasch megn und ka Sau versteht den andren.

It was very hard to understand your slang for me , English is my second foreign language and when you write English dialect i only see trees!! Hm the sentence above is German dialect and you now know how good i can read your slang --- not :D

Spitfire
08-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks for informing me about that, I'll try my best to make myself more understood in the future for yours and others' benefits!

Barreldriver
08-05-2009, 08:22 PM
York rules! Hatfield #1 :D My kin lived near the Hatfield Manor (some supposedly born there)
And greetings. :D

We need more Yorkshire blood in this forum lol.

Osweo
08-05-2009, 09:35 PM
We need more Yorkshire blood in this forum lol.

Oh dearie me. I knew allowing even BD here was going to just be the thin end of the wedge...

(First time he's been called a thin anything, I'll bet. :tongue;))

Now GIVE BACK TODMORDEN!!!!! :mad::thumb001:

Loddfafner
08-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Here is one more voice for the welcome chorus.

Barreldriver
08-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Oh dearie me. I knew allowing even BD here was going to just be the thin end of the wedge...

(First time he's been called a thin anything, I'll bet. :tongue;))

I might not be thin, but my patience is. :D