PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions of Lezginka Dance

Illancha
01-03-2013, 05:32 PM
I got the idea for this thread from the 'What is Unique About your Culture?' thread by Evon.

The dance commonly called the Lezginka (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lezginka) is unique to the Caucasus. It is performed by almost every nation in the Caucasus including some Cossacks (with slight variations from region to region; with knowledge and experience you can spot the differences and tell which region it is from).

Traditionally it would take place at special occasions such as weddings were a single man would dance with a single woman, but nowadays there are dance groups who perform choreographed versions of it. There is a stark and in my opinion beautiful and elegant contrast between the way the male and the female dance. Note that touching is strictly forbidden, you can get killed if you do touch your dance partner. For us it is a very powerful and meaningful dance (if that makes sense).

Anyway THE POINT OF THIS THREAD is that I have always wondered how the rest of the world would perceive it? What sort of vibe does it give you? How would you describe it? By that I mean the whole combination of dancing, music and outfits.

Here are a few examples (Music and outfit wise the first two videos give the best representation; I'll provide more if anyone asks, but a quick youtube search will probably yield good results).

Choreographed (mostly):
7515-YUV66A
VT1-F7Wzd2E
s1jayqwbxbQ
Non-choreographed:
8wpCF2IQDGY
mMTYivEJYvk

Illancha
01-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Bump.

Han Cholo
01-03-2013, 10:59 PM
I like it. But I prefer the Caucasus music that is slower and more nostalgic. Like this:

3fFZ9XQfIUA

c6nsbJynK8A

Illancha
01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
I like it. But I prefer the Caucasus music that is slower and more nostalgic.
Yeah there are also some slower dances accompanied by slow music, but I didn't give examples.

Illancha
01-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Bump.

Zmey Gorynych
01-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Well, to me Lezginka reflects very well the spirit of Caucasus, fast paced with a lot of nerve in it. It felt like an homage to the natural order of things.

Illancha
01-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Well, to me Lezginka reflects very well the spirit of Caucasus, fast paced with a lot of nerve in it. It felt like an homage to the natural order of things.
Yes certainly. I think it reflects the nature and temperament of the people of the Caucasus well.

Pontios
01-05-2013, 11:32 AM
I like it. But I prefer the Caucasus music that is slower and more nostalgic. Like this:

Here are some much slower and peaceful dances from Ossetia but I don't know if you will like them as much as the much more energetic dances.

Xonga Kaft
LouzSuP09R8
Simd
V7vI8_0GhZg

Illancha
01-09-2013, 01:41 AM
Anyone else?

Partizan
01-09-2013, 01:51 AM
I like it and find it represantive for Kavkaz. My Ahıska(Meskhetian) Turkish kinsmen also do this dance:

XmUbBW6XxR8

Pontios
01-09-2013, 07:08 AM
I like it and find it represantive for Kavkaz. My Ahıska(Meskhetian) Turkish kinsmen also do this dance:

Similar to what you will find it Kavkaz, but still different. First time I see this kind of dance.

Illancha
01-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Hmmm... interesting. It feels different. There's just that weird something about it, almost as if it lacks the fire, passion and sheer force of ours.

I guess they learned it from the natives of the region?

TheMagnificent
01-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Pd42gfaXEks

This one is madness!

Illancha
01-09-2013, 09:08 PM
This one is madness!
That was quite nice. Looked very similar to the acrobatic closing section of the first video I posted. The only difference I would say is that Chechen women almost never dance like that. It is more typical of Avar women from Dagestan.

That sort of acrobatic section is almost always performed in one or two dances per show by Caucasian dance groups.

Was that a Turkish dance group in the video?

TheMagnificent
01-09-2013, 09:18 PM
That was quite nice. Looked very similar to the acrobatic closing section of the first video I posted. The only difference I would say is that Chechen women almost never dance like that. It is more typical of Avar women from Dagestan.

That sort of acrobatic section is almost always performed in one or two dances per show by Caucasian dance groups.

Was that a Turkish dance group in the video?

In the comments they say it is the Georgian National Ballet.

Illancha
01-09-2013, 09:25 PM
In the comments they say it is the Georgian National Ballet.
Yeah that's what I thought at first, but all that Turkish writing confused me.

I've seen the Georgian Ballet perform the dance before. Doing the 'tricks' in doubles has Georgian written all over it.

Partizan
01-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Hmmm... interesting. It feels different. There's just that weird something about it, almost as if it lacks the fire, passion and sheer force of ours.

It seemed as opposite to me. As far as I know it is just another form of Lezginka, isn't it?

I guess they learned it from the natives of the region?

I think so. I was surprised with this video since we Ahiska Turks are(or rather were, until Stalin's deportation) located in Southern Caucasus but this dance is a Northern thing.

That is rather represantive for Ahiska Turks actually:

BoH-U1nMdvU

Illancha
01-09-2013, 09:53 PM
It seemed as opposite to me. As far as I know it is just another form of Lezginka, isn't it?
Well yeah it seems to be a form of it, but a rather poorly executed one. The essential ingredient of belligerence seems to be completely absent.

I think so. I was surprised with this video since we Ahiska Turks are(or rather were, until Stalin's deportation) located in Southern Caucasus but this dance is a Northern thing.
Are Karachays and Balkars Ahiska Turks? As far as I'm aware those are the only two Turkic groups he deported.

Edit: It seems they were not the only ones.

Partizan
01-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Well yeah it seems to be a form of it, but a rather poorly executed one. The essential ingredient of belligerence seems to be completely absent.

This one seems rather individual based, since more dancers play solo. Rain or shine, difference is visible.

Are Karachays and Balkars Ahiska Turks? As far as I'm aware those are the only two Turkic groups he deported.

Nope, despite Karachays are probably related to Ahiska Turks, they are a different group. Ahiska Turkish sounds like a cross between Azerbaijani and North-Eastern Turkish. So most likely Ahiska Turks are either Azerbaijanis or North-Eastern Turks who just settled in north of Turkish border.

Illancha
01-10-2013, 09:57 PM
So most likely Ahiska Turks are either Azerbaijanis or North-Eastern Turks who just settled in north of Turkish border.
Seems plausible.

Yalquzaq
01-20-2013, 12:13 AM
wauN953U_Z8

Yalquzaq
01-20-2013, 12:26 AM

Not really, the same dance is found in Georgia and Azerbaijan. Morover, the "Lezginka" term originates from Lezgins, an ethnic group that populates southern Dagestan and northern Azerbaijan.

Illancha
01-20-2013, 12:30 AM
Not really, the same dance is found in Georgia and Azerbaijan. Morover, the name of "Lezginka" comes from Lezgins, an ethnic group that poopulate southern Dagestan and northern Azerbaijan.
You need to remember who gave it the name Lezginka, the Russians. So it is not necessarily of Lezgin origin. Although it doesn't matter. It is the dance of the Caucasus as a whole.

Su
01-20-2013, 12:31 AM
wauN953U_Z8

Nice :)

Vulcho
01-21-2013, 12:49 AM
I love these Caucasian dances. They don't look very foreign to me for some reason, even though they are nothing like Balkan dances. I like how the men seem so enthusiastic, while the women look a bit bored :)

Illancha
01-21-2013, 04:45 PM
I like how the men seem so enthusiastic, while the women look a bit bored :)
Haha! Well there's a reason for that actually. The woman is supposed to show modesty, grace and elegance, whereas the man is all fire, passion and beligerence.

Actually there are some dances where the women are quite enthusiastic as well especially the Avars from Dagestan, but also others.

of9T-c7d4lU

Yalquzaq
01-21-2013, 07:24 PM
You need to remember who gave it the name Lezginka, the Russians. So it is not necessarily of Lezgin origin. Although it doesn't matter. It is the dance of the Caucasus as a whole.

Yes, my point was that it isn't exclusive to "North".

Vulcho
01-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Haha! Well there's a reason for that actually. The woman is supposed to show modesty, grace and elegance, whereas the man is all fire, passion and beligerence.

That makes sense, but in modern culture it's more acceptable for women to be wild in dancing, while we men are more reserved. So that's why it seems a bit of a role reversal to me.

Actually there are some dances where the women are quite enthusiastic as well especially the Avars from Dagestan, but also others.

of9T-c7d4lU

Nice!

memo20
04-02-2013, 01:54 AM
Cool! I used to dance Lezginka couple of years ago, but it was freaking hard for me. Just watching might be more joyful :)