PDA

View Full Version : Where does this last name originate?

Sikeliot
01-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Fauria.

Where does it originate?

I heard someone with it and thought it might have been Italian, but I typed it in on a site that locates Italian surnames and it didn't come up.

Then I found that the last name exists in Catalunya. So is it Catalan?

Sikeliot
01-04-2013, 11:45 PM
But there is an American football player Christian Fauria who has said he is part black and part white.. and I have heard Cape Verdean. So might it be Portuguese?

Damião de Góis
01-05-2013, 12:39 AM
But there is an American football player Christian Fauria who has said he is part black and part white.. and I have heard Cape Verdean. So might it be Portuguese?

No, i've never heard of Fauria... only Faria.

Sikeliot
01-05-2013, 12:41 AM
It might be a corruption of the original spelling.

Damião de Góis
01-05-2013, 12:48 AM
It might be a corruption of the original spelling.

A corruption that would make no sense. Fauria sounds much weirder and harder to pronounce.

Balmung
01-05-2013, 12:55 AM
We have a lot of names spelled differently here in the states, and its probably going to become even more apparent in the future. I guess you can just say they're "American" in origin. Ive been through a few celebrities/models (and some average indivisuals) with these names that look like they came from somewhere, but aren't real.

So yeah, put them under American names just as Beyonce is.

I'm trying to think of this one guy or girl who had this strange surname that just had to be new.

Comte Arnau
01-05-2013, 12:55 AM
I had never heard it before, but apparently yes, it appears in the Catalan/Valencian/Balearic 10th-volume Dictionary, which includes surnames.

FAURIA
Llin. existent a Figueres, St. Hilari SC, Lloret de Mar, Vic, La Garriga, Mataró, Barc., Agramunt, Almacelles, etc.

This means the surname has been registered in towns like those, which are mostly from the NE and the W of Catalonia.

However, the fact there is no information on the meaning (when it usually appears) makes me think of it as a weird variant, or maybe an Occitan origin. Fabra or Fabre, which is a more common surname in Catalan, is said Faure in Occitan, both meaning 'smith, maker' (from Latin faber), so perhaps Fauria is a derived term and means something like smithy or forge. That's as far as I can guess. :)

Sikeliot
01-05-2013, 01:03 AM
So at least, all else aside, it's Iberian one way or another.

Longobarda
01-26-2018, 11:29 AM
Fauria.

Where does it originate?

I heard someone with it and thought it might have been Italian, but I typed it in on a site that locates Italian surnames and it didn't come up.

Then I found that the last name exists in Catalunya. So is it Catalan?

Fauria does not exist in Italy. We have Forìa which originates in Campania (Naples). Faurìa is Spanish

https://www.heraldrysinstitute.com/lang/it/cognomi/Fauria/Spain/idc/622322

Longobarda
01-26-2018, 11:36 AM
Look also to this link

https://lastnames.myheritage.it/last-name/Fauria

and this:

https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=fauria

Annie999
01-26-2018, 11:46 AM
To me it sounds portuguese or a deformation of a portuguese lastname.
Edit: so is it french?

Sp_loa
02-17-2018, 06:23 PM
Wrong thread