PDA

View Full Version : Road Rage

Vulpix
12-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Confess: just how susceptible are you to road rage (http://www.roadragers.com/what-is-road-rage.htm) :D?

You can take a test that analyses your driving style here:

"What is your road rage potential? (http://roadragers.com/test/index.htm)"

Absinthe
12-04-2008, 12:01 PM
I don't drive, and part of the reasons is that I am definitely a potential road rager! :D

Given that Greeks are probably the worst drivers in Europe (the world, maybe), I would need to be on Valium in order to deal with their driving behavior...

My boyfriend drives me to work every other day and he is a road rager too...he swears and gestures and all that, when he feels he's fallen victim of road injustice. :rolleyes:
But when I'm with him, I get so enraged by the reckless driving of others and their egoistic, life-risking road conduct, that even to him I am too irritable!

'Get over it', he says. 'This is how they drive here'.

Well...I simply can't accept it. I know that if I ever start driving in Athens, I'm a potential mental asylum candidate...so I'll pass.

Anyway, I took your test just for fun, based on hypothetical responses :)

Safety:

You are a Safe Driver
Your Safety Score: 72.5 %

The average score among all people who have recently taken this test is 69.19%

Aggressiveness:

You are a Aggressive Driver
Your Degree of Aggressiveness: 65 %

The average score among all people who have recently taken this test is 57.02%

Courtesy:

You are a Courteous Driver
Your Courtesy Score: 75 %

The average score among all people who have recently taken this test is 73.75%

Rage:

You are a Potential Road Rager
Your Degree of Rage: 65 %

The average score among all people who have recently taken this test is 55.55%%

Skandi
12-04-2008, 12:27 PM
No I'm normally amused by others bad driving, and as for overtaking/cutting people up at lights well you try it in a 14 year old Volvo! I really can't be bothered getting worked up about other peoples driving!

Loki
12-04-2008, 12:30 PM
I haven't done the test yet, but I'm an old-time road rager ... :D ... less now than in my testosterone-fuelled early adult years, but still ... I don't tolerate nonsense on the road. :p

If there is one thing that gets up my nose, it is reckless and inconsiderate driving. I usually make my disapproval known in a concrete response. It could be a few hoots, cool terrifying looks & frowns at the perpetrator, or the good old middle finger salute. :rolleyes:

Now seriously, I'm generally a chilled out guy, but people shouldn't cross me on the road. ;)

Arrow Cross
12-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Down with these anonym polls! :p

Vulpix
12-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Haha did you vote :D?

Down with these anonym polls! :p

Arrow Cross
12-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Haha did you vote :D?
Yes, but you will never know what for. ;)

Absinthe
12-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Yes, but you will never know what for. ;)
She's an administrator, silly. She can see the votes. :p

Arrow Cross
12-04-2008, 01:32 PM
She's an administrator, silly. She can see the votes. :p
Don't be so sure, there are many things in the VBulletin voodoo that even they cannot see, set, or modify.

E.g.: Lenny's self-sacrificing plea to take away only his ability to negrep. :p

Loki
12-04-2008, 01:38 PM
E.g.: Lenny's self-sacrificing plea to take away only his ability to negrep. :p

What's happened to Lenny by the way? Haven't seen him here or on SI lately.

Absinthe
12-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Yes, such things are passwords of members, that are encrypted in the database. But votes in polls, they can surely see. They got admin X-ray vision. :action-smiley-043:

The only way to keep your thoughts safe from them, is to....

http://cr4.globalspec.com/PostImages/200709/TinFoil_DB52B2F1-0E7F-A983-F0F9D799A20B06C8.jpg

;)

Arrow Cross
12-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Don't over-estimate the powers-that-be.

And personally, I think absolutely nothing special has happened to Lenny. Everyone's gotta take a lil' break every once in a while.

Vulpix
12-04-2008, 02:36 PM
I know what you voted :ner-ner0::D:D

Don't over-estimate the powers-that-be.

Arrow Cross
12-04-2008, 02:50 PM
I know what you voted :ner-ner0::D:D
But...I am calmer than you. :cool:

Vulpix
12-04-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm afraid the crown is already taken by South African drivers, just ask Loki :D!...

LOL, btw: South Africa tops road rage list (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4162692.stm)

South African drivers are the worst road rage offenders in the world, an international survey has found. Some 67% of South African motorists reported aggressive behaviour directed at them in the past year - more than in any of the 10 countries surveyed.

I've had the dubious privilege of witnessing this myself :D. Crazy stuff :rotfl...

Given that Greeks are probably the worst drivers in Europe (the world, maybe)

Is that supposed to be a good thing :p? :D

But...I am calmer than you. :cool:

Arrow Cross
12-04-2008, 03:57 PM
You can safely believe me, Foxie. Calmness is one of the secrets of a long life.

Hrolf Kraki
12-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Apparently I have a high potential for Road Rage. Sounds about right. I drive from where I live in Olathe to Lawrence everyday to attend the University of Kansas. I have to deal with idiots on the highway there everyday and it damn near makes my head explode! I need a huge truck, like a monster truck, so I can drive over them. :p

WinterMoon
12-04-2008, 08:13 PM
I took the test.... it told me 50% aggressive and I began to think, "Which questions were agressive?" I confess, I am super safe driver. Having almost died in more than one accident, and been very injured in others (none my fault, and some while I was a passenger), I have become super safe. A few years back I was in 3 major accidents within a 1 year period (none my fault, some while I was a passenger), I almost died in one of those accidents, and I was very injured in another-- I became quite paranoid for a while. Anytime another car would come up a side street I would hit my brakes because I was afraid he was not going to stop. Anytime another car was making a left turn coming the opposite direction, I would brake, because I was afraid he was going to turn into me. I became so scared that another driver was going to hit me again, because I had already been hit multiple times by idiots. One guy's reason was "I was hungry." He turned into us head on because the BBQ place was on our side of the street. Another guy was coming out of a walMart parking lot, and we were just driving past on the main road, and he didn't stop-- drove right into us, right in front of his face, and never stopped afterwards. Don't even ask about the third accident. :eek:

Here are your personal scores/results in the four areas that we analyzed:
Safety:

You are a Very Safe Driver
Your Safety Score: 97.5 %

Aggressiveness:

You are a Marginally Aggressive Driver
Your Degree of Aggressiveness: 50 %

Courtesy:

You are a Very Courteous Driver
Your Courtesy Score: 97.5 %

Rage:

You are a Fairly Calm Driver
Your Degree of Rage: 37.5 %

Æmeric
12-05-2008, 12:41 AM
I rarely get road rage anymore, the traffic where I now live usually isn't bad enough to provoke rage. My biggest gripe is slow drivers on winding hilly 2-lane roads were you can go for miles with nowhere to legally pass. I use to get road rage in Phoenix all the time, the traffic was horrible, too many retired elderly drivers on the road during rush hour. They've built many miles of freeway in the last 10-years in the Phoenix area, driving isn't quite the pain it use to be, my biggest gripe on my last visit was all the drivers who use the left-turn lane as the u-turn lane.

Given that Greeks are probably the worst drivers in Europe (the world, maybe), I would need to be on Valium in order to deal with their driving behavior...

You've never experience Mexican drivers. Or Negroes. And what they say about Asians drivers is 100% true.

Revenant
12-05-2008, 05:30 AM
Yes I get it often. Most of the time it's to do with the actual roadway speedbumps, too small parking spaces etc. Roundabouts are a pet peeve of mine and there are plenty around where I live and there are many idiots that don't know how to use them.

Being a bit of a revhead I also have been known to do some silly things on the road myself.:dev3

Absinthe
12-05-2008, 08:32 AM
You've never experience Mexican drivers. Or Negroes. And what they say about Asians drivers is 100% true.

Mexicans, not. Negroes, yes. Lots of them in my area. :D
Negroes drive badly because of stupidity, Greeks because of egoism. It may be a subtle detail, but I consider the 2nd one far worse... :(

Oresai
12-11-2008, 05:23 AM
I live on an island twelve miles by six with a winding of single track roads. The worst we get here re traffic, is the ferry timetable traffic, maybe three cars on the road at once.
Cows and sheep are the worst offenders here, causing many a road rage event :D
They have this habit, you see, of standing there, in front of the car, staring at you, owning the road and wondering why you aren`t moving out of their way. Usually encountered when you are rushing to get to the ferry on time. And no matter how hard you toot the horn at them, they stand there, placidly eyeing your car, wondering if they can get away with headbutting it.
Only recently an escapee bull flattened a man`s car by doing so, then stomping in rage on the bonnet. The man cowered in the car til someone got him out. An hour later. :D

Alison
12-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Safety:

You are a Safe Driver
Your Safety Score: 72.5 %

Aggressiveness:

Your Degree of Aggressiveness: 57.5 %

Courtesy:

Your Courtesy Score: 72.5 %

Rage:

Your Degree of Rage: 65 %

SwordoftheVistula
12-11-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm about ready to have heart attack every time I drive to school. People going the wrong way down one way streets, people driving 20 mph on a 4 lane road, people walking through traffic on said 4 lane road, people making a left turn in front of oncoming traffic as soon as the light turns green, people coming to a near complete stop without warning/using turn signals because they want to make a turn, and so on. If I am coasting for 2 minutes and have to hit the brakes to avoid hitting you, you are going too slow. The drivers on the highway here are just as bad, people veering into other lanes randomly, none of them can drive in the snow despite the fact that this is a heavy snowfall area, people driving in the left lane at 1 mph faster than the cars in the right lane and creating a traffic blockage...and that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

Safety:

You are a Safe Driver
Your Safety Score: 65 %

Aggressiveness:

You are a Aggressive Driver
Your Degree of Aggressiveness: 67.5 %

Courtesy:

Your Courtesy Score: 70 %

Rage:

Your Degree of Rage: 67.5 %

Negroes drive badly because of stupidity, Greeks because of egoism. It may be a subtle detail, but I consider the 2nd one far worse... :(

That sounds like the difference between Massachusetts (stupid) and New York (egoist) drivers :D I'll take the egoists any day, at least they are predictable.

Vulpix
12-31-2008, 05:01 PM
My number 1 pet hate: slow drivers :rant::banging head!
Those who consistenly drive below the speed limit enrage me often :embarrassed.

*runs to Road rage consueling* :D

Hrolf Kraki
12-31-2008, 05:39 PM
My number 1 pet hate: slow drivers :rant::banging head!
Those who consistenly drive below the speed limit enrage me often :embarrassed.

*runs to Road rage consueling* :D

It´s been rough here lately. Early this month we had some snow and everyone decided it´d be ok to drive 45 mph in the fast lane. My head nearly exploded everyday coming home from school on the highway. Most people did eventually move for me after I came within 3 inches of their back bumper.

Oresai
12-31-2008, 05:42 PM
Tsk, you guys have it easy! :p
Here we get strange creatures called `Twitchers` (birdwatchers) who insist on stopping in the middle of our single track roads, binoculars glued to eyeballs, raptly gazing at pigeons, refusing to move for the oncoming car because they`d lose sight of said bird.
I`m normally a placid, even tempered woman, but this behaviour makes my accelerator foot itch.....:D

Lady L
12-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Not to long ago while driving and coming up to pass a side road a women looked at me then pulled right out in front of me causing me to hit the brakes. I beeeeeeeeeeped the horn and put my arms up like wtf are you doing..?

Then about a week later I came up to a 2 way stop that I thought was a 4 way stop so I then pulled out in front of a women who beeeeeeped and looked at me like wtf are you doing..? :D

Moral to the story is sometimes you can be on either side of the road rage. I do get upset but I do not over react. My mother over reacted once and the man got out of his car and walked up to ours..? :eek:

Ooohh yea, that reminds me, I over reacted to once by flipping the bird. It was a few years ago and I can't remember well but I must of really pissed them off because they followed me on my tail and passed me making punching signs with their fists, I quickly turned into a subdivision and lost them. :rolleyes: They were some kind of Mexicans. :eek:

Rudy
01-01-2009, 04:00 PM
I sometimes have to make appointments, but I do not drive closely to other drivers, or drive fast in corners. To me, road rage is a joke, which I do not truly feel. A common annoying part is being passed up by a pack of twenty drivers, and having to wait in line to get past a slower driver.

You are a Safe Driver
Your Safety Score: 77.5 %

Aggressiveness:

Your Degree of Aggressiveness: 50 %

Courtesy:

You are a Very Courteous Driver
Your Courtesy Score: 97.5 %

Rage:

You are a Fairly Calm Driver
Your Degree of Rage: 37.5 %

Ulf
01-02-2009, 03:28 AM
I get angry, but I try to not let it affect my driving. I hate slow drivers but absolutely refuse to tailgate because my hate for tailgating is far greater than slow driving.
-----------------
Safety:

You are a Safe Driver
Your Safety Score: 77.5 %

Aggressiveness:

Your Degree of Aggressiveness: 47.5 %

Courtesy:

Your Courtesy Score: 77.5 %

Rage:

Your Degree of Rage: 50 %

Tolleson
01-02-2009, 01:40 PM
The type of driver that amuses me the most is the lane-jumping-bumper-to-bumper-guy/gal.

There is a lineup of traffic but this guy/gal thinks that he/she will get there (where ever there IS) faster if they change lanes often enough and get an extra car length ahead.

It is actually quite fun to box them in and watch their head explode.:dev3

Now that's better than reality TV.

safinator
02-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Almost 0 since i don't own a car.

Grumpy Cat
02-21-2012, 01:30 AM
As a French Canadian, road rage is in my DNA. 23andme hasn't found the SNP yet, but it's there.

The Lawspeaker
02-21-2012, 01:34 AM
As a French Canadian, road rage is in my DNA. 23andme hasn't found the SNP yet, but it's there.
So you'll be sacrer and biting your steering wheel:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EoMVIHZ1oIM/TcsD9tbKatI/AAAAAAAAB-U/KFqJrWFa7hA/s1600/rage.jpg

"Tabarnak de câlice ! F.... off, granny, you're blocking my way !"

Grumpy Cat
02-21-2012, 01:41 AM
So you'll be sacrer and biting your steering wheel:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EoMVIHZ1oIM/TcsD9tbKatI/AAAAAAAAB-U/KFqJrWFa7hA/s1600/rage.jpg

"Tabarnak de câlice ! F.... off, granny, you're blocking my way !"

Yes living on PEI. So many old, slow, incompetent drivers.

The average motorist age is probably 70 here. Stephen Harper's War on Youth hit here hard, so most young people cannot afford cars.

Smaland
02-21-2012, 01:51 AM
I drive right at the speed limit (for the most part), so I probably make a lot of people angry. Most people here drive at least 5 mph above the limit. :)

mymy
02-21-2012, 02:28 AM
I don't have driving licence!:eek::embarrassed

Grumpy Cat
02-21-2012, 02:40 AM
I don't have driving licence!:eek::embarrassed

Do you have pedestrian rage?

mymy
02-21-2012, 02:52 AM
Do you have pedestrian rage?

No. :D
I respect all norm. Even more than maybe i should.

I think i would be awful driver, i would never pass limited speed, would never pass on red... People would go crazy. :D

Damião de Góis
02-21-2012, 03:20 AM
Yes, one time i thought "if i lose the train because of this fuck, i'll go after him and kill him". It was someone driving very slowly... and i had no room to pass. But eventualy i made a somewhat dangerous manouver and did catch the train. :thumb001:

Grumpy Cat
02-21-2012, 03:24 AM
No. :D
I respect all norm. Even more than maybe i should.

I think i would be awful driver, i would never pass limited speed, would never pass on red... People would go crazy. :D

Giggling teenage girls who walk slowly in a line taking up the whole sidewalk so you can't pass piss me off.

mymy
02-21-2012, 03:28 AM
Giggling teenage girls who walk slowly in a line taking up the whole sidewalk so you can't pass piss me off.

I don't mind... I really have good nerves and good control, and there really need to happen something serious and crazy to make me go mad.

Grumpy Cat
02-21-2012, 03:30 AM
I don't mind... I really have good nerves and good control, and there really need to happen something serious and crazy to make me go mad.

Eh. People who have no consideration or respect for others piss me off in general.

Damião de Góis
02-21-2012, 03:33 AM

What if you were going to take the train to go to work, left home a little late and while you were on your way there was this really slow driver in front of you, with no cars in front of him but he was driving very slow. And you couldn't pass because there were cars coming in the other way. :tongue

I think anyone would get angry at that or stressed out.

mymy
02-21-2012, 03:37 AM
What if you were going to take the train to go to work, left home a little late and while you were on your way there was this really slow driver in front of you, with no cars in front of him but he was driving very slow. And you couldn't pass because there were cars coming in the other way. :tongue

I think anyone would get angry at that or stressed out.

You could be right, but i need to have experience to know it.

Leliana
02-22-2012, 01:15 PM
I have to road rage sometimes, some drivers are dumb as hell. :mad: I hate trucks who spam and block the Autobahn (PL, CZ, SLO, E, I, H, NED), I hate slow drivers who hang on the left lane even though they belong to the right lane, I hate drivers of compact-class cars because most of them are afraid of driving, I hate sleepyheads who fall asleep in front of traffic lights so that I miss the next green phase, I hate people who don't like to blink and don't indicate where they want to go, I hate bicyclists who don't use cycle paths but occupy the street and are rude, I hate speed limit enforcement at pointless places just to cream money and I hate gazers and traffic jam.

In my BMW, I hate! :P

http://www.kweens.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/kristin-bell-road-rage.jpg

http://cdn.mainstreetconnect.us/sites/default/files/imagecache/article_horizontal/road_rage.jpg

http://t1.thpservices.com/fotos/thum4/017/769/wr0346918.jpg

Absinthe
02-22-2012, 01:17 PM
I don't drive, but if I would, I would definitely road rage.
And that's one of the reasons I don't drive.
:wink

Leliana
02-22-2012, 01:24 PM
I don't drive, but if I would, I would definitely road rage.
And that's one of the reasons I don't drive.
:wink
Car driving in Greece must be like Dante's Inferno. It could be more bearable with an applied rocketlauncher at the front of the car. ;)

rhiannon
02-22-2012, 01:31 PM
I've been told the most frightening place in Europe to drive is actually France.

Is this true?

The Lawspeaker
02-22-2012, 01:32 PM
I've been told the most frightening place in Europe to drive is actually France.

Is this true?Paris is unpleasant but you should try Italy or Greece or anywhere in Eastern Europe as Ukrainians and Russians or the Baltic states (let alone the Balkans) are absolutely fucking bat-shit crazy.
Those are the real certifiably borderline-criminally insane road monkeys that should be taken off the road for the sake of public safety.

Absinthe
02-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Car driving in Greece must be like Dante's Inferno. It could be more bearable with an applied rocketlauncher at the front of the car. ;)
And that's the major reason why I don't drive. ;)

rhiannon
02-22-2012, 01:48 PM
I learned to drive in Los Angeles.

'Nuff said......

Depending on where someone is from and where they are driving you can make some assumptions about their driving styles and etiquette.

Chicago: One hand on wheel, one hand on horn.

New York: One hand on wheel, one finger out window.

New Jersey: One hand on wheel, one finger out window, cutting across all lanes of traffic.

Boston: One hand on wheel, one hand on newspaper, foot solidly on accelerator.

Scarborough, Ontario: Both hands clenched on steering wheel, driver staring directly forward, cutting in front of you and slowing down to 40 in a 60 zone then looking in rearview mirror in wonder as to why the car behind is flashing high beams.

Los Angeles: One hand on wheel, one hand on nonfat double decaf cappuccino, cradling cell phone, brick on accelerator with gun in lap

Ohio, but driving in California: Both hands on wheel, eyes shut, both feet on brake, quivering in terror.

Italy: Both hands in air and gesturing, both feet on accelerator, head turned to talk to someone in back seat.

Seattle: One hand on latte, one knee on wheel, cradling cell phone, foot on brake, mind on game.

Texas: One hand on wheel, one hand on hunting rifle, alternating between both feet being on the accelerator and both feet on the brake, throwing a McDonald's bag out the window.

West Virginia: Four-wheel drive pickup truck, shotgun mounted in rear window, beer cans on floor, squirrel tails attached to antenna.

Florida: Two hands gripping wheel, blue hair barely visible above window level, driving 35 on the Interstate in the left lane with the left blinker on.

Edmonton: One gloved hand on wheel, one hand on heater, feet up underneath bum to keep warm, 3 differently decorated ice scrapers, one plastic, broken; one steel, broken; one pastel, hidden in trunk. neither foot on accelerator or brakes because with all the ice on the roads, you're all moving at the same speed either way.

Dubuque, Iowa: no use of turn signal, or left on for 26 blocks...also cradling cheap cell phone.

Maine: Beat up 1983 Dodge Ram pick-up truck, right hand holding a Dunkin Donuts coffee, cigarette dangling from mouth, greasy hair shoved underneath an oil stained cap and classic rock blaring from the radio.

Vancouver: Canadian beer in one hand, B.C. Weed in the other. Dick on the steering wheel

New Orleans: One hand on wheel, one hand holding down sum hookers head while she's giving head!

Pennsylvania: Both hands on reigns.

California: (Bay Area / Silicon Valley) One hand on laptop computer, one hand at on-board navigation/Internet console installed in dash board, cell phone attached to head with microphone earpiece, having a executive meeting with half a dozen people on speaker phone, palm pilot wedged between knees to observe up to date stock quotes, and shoes kicked off, and feet crossed because traffic hasn't moved in the past hour.

Montana: One finger on steering wheel of jacked up 4x4, Charlie Daniels blaring from speakers, dead coyote in back, hay leaves blowing out of bed while going down the highway.

Nebraska: Two hands on wheel, with head lodged up ass, chunks of rust falling off by the pound.

Quebec: engaged in heated political discussion with espresso in one hand and croissant in the other, aiming for pedestrians who have the mistaken notion that crosswalks are for them.

Michigan: Both hands on wheel and head up ass.

Toronto: Both hands on the wheel, seat as far forward as possible, head fixed only looking forward, ignoring people behind and beside you, stopping and waiting for the road to fully clear before making any forward progress.

Los Angeles: (Watts or Compton I bet)Lowered Honda, can't see over dash, driving too fast or too slow, car sounds like a bee as it goes by.