PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimatum Game

SkyBurn
01-11-2013, 11:41 PM
You're standing on the sidewalk with a friend, when a man approaches with a proposition.
He offers you $100 in one-dollar bills and says you can keep the money, under one condition: You have to share some of it with your friend.
You can offer your friend as much or as little as you like, but if your friend rejects your offer, neither of you get to keep any of the money.

What do you do? If you were the friend, what is the lowest number that you would accept? Why?

This game is a cool little analysis into the human psyche, read more here http://money.howstuffworks.com/ultimatum-game.htm for the psychological/economic insights, or just answer how you'd split/reject!

SkyBurn
01-11-2013, 11:42 PM
You're standing on the sidewalk with a friend, when a man approaches with a proposition.
He offers you $100 in one-dollar bills and says you can keep the money, under one condition: You have to share some of it with your friend.
You can offer your friend as much or as little as you like, but if your friend rejects your offer, neither of you get to keep any of the money.

What do you do? If you were the friend, what is the lowest number that you would accept?

This game is a cool little analysis into the human psyche, read more here http://money.howstuffworks.com/ultimatum-game.htm for the psychological/economic insights, or just answer how you'd split/reject!

Personally, I'd offer 50/50 and reject anything below 40% out of spite :P

Žołnir
01-11-2013, 11:45 PM
50%-50%

Mechanolater
01-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Give my friend 90 and pocket a 10 for lunch. If I were the friend being offered, I'd take 10... for lunch.

SkyBurn
01-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Give my friend 90 and pocket a 10 for lunch. If I were the friend being offered, I'd take 10... for lunch.

Why offer so much more? :confused:

Mechanolater
01-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Why offer so much more? :confused:

If a strange man approached me and a friend and offered us 100 bucks, I'd assume the money was stolen/counterfeit. My ten spent in a small diner is most likely not going to result in my incarceration. :)

SkyBurn
01-12-2013, 12:04 AM
If a strange man approached me and a friend and offered us 100 bucks, I'd assume the money was stolen/counterfeit. My ten spent in a small diner is most likely not going to result in my incarceration. :)

You overthought the hypothetical :p

Leon_C
01-12-2013, 12:18 AM
50/50 because I'm not a Jew