PDA

View Full Version : Death: is it so Bad?

Illancha
01-12-2013, 01:56 AM
Throughout my life, the people I have met and known seem to view death in very negative light. It is something, according to the majority, that must be avoided at all costs.

I can honestly say that I have never feared death. I do not find it so bad and I can't say I mind dying. When I tell someone this the usual retarded respone is something along the lines of 'Well then why don't you go and throw yourself off a building?' What baffles me is that nobody seems to understand my viewpoint. I never said I want to die, in fact I would rather live and enjoy my life. Nor do I want to deprive others of their right to live. But, I find that I am ready for death at any moment and when my time comes I will accept it willingly.

What are your views? Can you understand where I'm coming from at this?

Siberyak
01-12-2013, 01:58 AM
People tend to fear the unknown.

Jackson
01-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Hmm. Yeah it's not so much the idea of dying itself that frightens me - as it might be very fast if i'm lucky - but more the idea of not being alive. But then i won't have to worry about it once it has happened.

Leon_C
01-12-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm not so afraid of unexpected death, If I die I die who cares right, but If I'm in a situation wherein I know I'm gonna die I will be pretty pissed off when I die.

Loki
01-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Well, the fact is that all of us are going to die :) It is a normal part of existence. Our lifespans are nothing compared to the age of the earth even. We are mortal beings.

Annihilus
01-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Look at it this way we were all dead before we were born, was it is so bad? I think not.

Dying on the other hand probably sucks.

Clawgauth
01-12-2013, 11:39 AM
life is no life without dead and dead is no dead without life.
Death is part of life, not another ''entity''.

Don Arb
01-12-2013, 11:42 AM
I cant imagine that Im gonna die

Vasconcelos
01-12-2013, 11:43 AM
No one ever wanted to come back, so it can't be that bad!

Hurrem sultana
01-12-2013, 11:44 AM
I dont fear death,but i fear the pain that comes before death,i fear disease,,,i only hope to get a fast painless death..if it happens at age 40 or 80 does not matter(but i hope to live at least in my youth :) )

Don Arb
01-12-2013, 11:47 AM
I dont fear death,but i fear the pain that comes before death,i fear disease,,,i only hope to get a fast painless death..if it happens at age 40 or 80 does not matter(but i hope to live at least in my youth :) )

thats why you have to try everything(not abnormal things) while you are young, I kind a fear being old and ill more than death.

Hurrem sultana
01-12-2013, 11:50 AM
thats why you have to try everything while you are young, I kind a fear being old and ill more than death.

Same here,i rather get a fast death at age 50 than live till 80 with some hard disease

This itself is a sin to say though,as it is all in Gods hands!

Pontios
01-12-2013, 11:53 AM
If you are spiritually ready to go to the next life, then there should be no fear. The next life is better than this, if you are spiritually ready of course and you have followed the rules of your religion. Depends on your religion though.

dado
01-12-2013, 11:56 AM
being old is worse than being dead

Hurrem sultana
01-12-2013, 12:02 PM
being old is worse than being dead

Not if you are healthy :) my grandma died at age 78 ,but she was healthy till last 2-3 months,then i know old people that have stayed in a bed the last 10 years...that is not something i wish to anyone

Siberian Cold Breeze
01-12-2013, 12:09 PM
I am alive and nature feeds me..When I am dead my body will feed the earth .It is like returning into mothers womb and nothing to be afraid about that.Actually I feel very positive about that.
I want a tree on my body and nurture it ,give my flesh to a fellow creature so circle of life goes on..

dado
01-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Not if you are healthy :) my grandma died at age 78 ,but she was healthy till last 2-3 months,then i know old people that have stayed in a bed the last 10 years...that is not something i wish to anyone

when u r old it's as u became child once again...everybody is worried about u,everybody is yellin at u,nobody cares about your opinion...do u want your grandchildran laugh at at u because of your bad breath:laugh:...trust me...you dont want to be old

Hurrem sultana
01-12-2013, 12:12 PM
when u r old it's as u became child once again...everybody is worried about u,everybody is yellin at u,nobody cares about your opinion...do u want your grandchildran laugh at at u because of your bad breath:laugh:...trust me...you dont want to be old

Well,that happens wel into the 70s,,,if i die at age 65 i am happy:D

Jackson
01-12-2013, 12:14 PM

Your grandmother certainly pulled out the lucky card. It's interesting though that while lifestyle seems to have a lot do with it, you still see plenty of people who can be in their 80s say, haven't been exactly healthy and spent 60-70 years of heavy smoking and still able to walk fairly ok and aren't too i'll. Other's who have never touched cigarette in their life, hardly ever drank alcohol and lived a relatively healthy life who are seriously i'll and infirm in their 60s,70s,80s. Seems to me to be as much as luck of the draw than a healthy lifestyle.

Hurrem sultana
01-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Your grandmother certainly pulled out the lucky card. It's interesting though that while lifestyle seems to have a lot do with it, you still see plenty of people who can be in their 80s say, haven't been exactly healthy and spent 60-70 years of heavy smoking and still able to walk fairly ok and aren't too i'll. Other's who have never touched cigarette in their life, hardly ever drank alcohol and lived a relatively healthy life who are seriously i'll and infirm in their 60s,70s,80s. Seems to me to be as much as luck of the draw than a healthy lifestyle.

Just 7 days ago i met a man in his 80s ,he looked like 65,no more no less...was very happy,strong and full of energy :D he took care of his wife,she was in a wheelchair since 2 years..

so some people have it that way,,the best to do is to live healthy

Permafrost
01-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Death itself doesn't terrify me at all! However, not having enough time to experience enough of life, that's a really scary thought.

Enjoy what little time I have been given on earth, and try to lead a life without too much of regrets, are my priorities.

dado
01-12-2013, 12:24 PM
i forgot one thing...it must be so fucking painfull to watch all those half naked mamasitas and your little friend doesnt respond....that is why old people dont go to the beach

Hurrem sultana
01-12-2013, 12:29 PM
i forgot one thing...it must be so fucking painfull to watch all those half naked mamasitas and your little friend doesnt respond....that is why old people dont go to the beach

not if you ask him :D

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/222135/slide_222135_897557_original.jpg?1335207893

Teyrn
01-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Death is bad only if you believe that there's nothing after it.

Illancha
01-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Death is bad only if you believe that there's nothing after it.
Is it? Why? What's bad about there being nothing after death? You won't even be aware of it.

Teyrn
01-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Is it? Why? There's nothing bad about there being nothing after death. You won't even be aware of it.

True, I wasn't thinking in this manner. I was thinking as a person who believes in the resurrection and life after death; I was contrasting it to the person, often irreligious, who seems to have a rather depressive view of life because their view of death is entirely biological in nature.

Hurrem sultana
01-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Is it? Why? What's bad about there being nothing after death? You won't even be aware of it.

but then it must suck for an 30 year old atheist to find out he will die in cancer with no possibilty to cure:eek: i mean sure he wont be aware,but he missed most of life

too damn bad

Heart of Oak
01-12-2013, 01:12 PM
When a soldier admits hes dead, the easier it is for him to preform,,,

Don Arb
01-12-2013, 01:33 PM
If you are spiritually ready to go to the next life, then there should be no fear. The next life is better than this, if you are spiritually ready of course and you have followed the rules of your religion. Depends on your religion though.

I can assure you that religious people fear the death the most, bcs they doubt they may go in hell also while people like me who dont believe such things tend to live and die in peace ;)

derLowe
01-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Throughout my life, the people I have met and known seem to view death in very negative light. It is something, according to the majority, that must be avoided at all costs.

I can honestly say that I have never feared death. I do not find it so bad and I can't say I mind dying. When I tell someone this the usual retarded respone is something along the lines of 'Well then why don't you go and throw yourself off a building?' What baffles me is that nobody seems to understand my viewpoint. I never said I want to die, in fact I would rather live and enjoy my life. Nor do I want to deprive others of their right to live. But, I find that I am ready for death at any moment and when my time comes I will accept it willingly.

Death it is not for me right now, I have still too much to do and a ever shortening window of time to do it in.

bella1407
01-12-2013, 03:32 PM
I do not fear death.

'Death is very likely the single best invention of life"- Steve Jobs.

Countess Grishnack
01-12-2013, 03:36 PM
I don't fear death really but what really scares me is the possibility of a slow death.

Loki
01-12-2013, 03:38 PM
True, I wasn't thinking in this manner. I was thinking as a person who believes in the resurrection and life after death; I was contrasting it to the person, often irreligious, who seems to have a rather depressive view of life because their view of death is entirely biological in nature.

I am not religious, and have a positive and natural view on death. I do not fear it. On the contrary, since I believe this life is all we have I try to make the most of it.

Teyrn
01-12-2013, 03:54 PM
I am not religious, and have a positive and natural view on death. I do not fear it. On the contrary, since I believe this life is all we have I try to make the most of it.

Were I to believe that this life in the here and now is all I have I might be a vastly different person than I am. It's a matter of perspective of course but I do believe that what I do while alive will influence the sort of existence I experience in the afterlife.

Philo
01-12-2013, 03:57 PM
I am open to the notion of a god who created the universe and for an afterlife, however i find organized religions pathetic. People think they'll meet mohammed or jesus or Buddha when they die and i find it funny. this of course also goes to judaism. organized religions never made any sense to me.

Graus
01-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Only one way to find out...

Illancha
01-18-2013, 11:41 PM
There was a Chechen man who lived 145ish years. He died in the early 1970's. He was healthy until his very last day; he went to bed and never woke up. He wasn't ill, he had no pains and never needed a caretaker. In fact at the age of 120ish his wife died and he walked all the way to the nearby village on his own (a distance of 4-5 miles) got married and walked back the same day. He got married again not because he needed someone to look after him, but for the companionship. He outlived his second wife as well.

In all, he led a simple life, but imagine all the events he must have witnessed and the wealth of experiences and wisdom he had accumulated over such a long period of time. Now that is something to be envied.

Hurrem sultana
01-18-2013, 11:43 PM
There was a Chechen man who lived 145ish years. He died in the early 1970's. He was healthy until his very last day; he went to bed and never woke up. He wasn't ill, he had no pains and never needed a caretaker. In fact at the age of 120ish his wife died and he walked all the way to the nearby village on his own (a distance of 4-5 miles) got married and walked back the same day. He outlived his second wife as well.

In all, he led a simple life, but imagine all the events he must have witnessed and the wealth of experiences and wisdom he had accumalated over such a long period of time. Now that is something to be envied.

wow,so how did he live,.? what did he eat? i want to copy him :D

Pontios
01-18-2013, 11:51 PM
Yea me too, knowing the somewhat unhealthy foods (very fattening) in the Caucasus, I really wonder what he ate to be able to live that long.

Illancha
01-18-2013, 11:56 PM
wow,so how did he live,.? what did he eat? i want to copy him :D
How did he live so long? I cannot say for sure. A combination of healthy habits and a blessing of long life I guess. The thing is he faced many hardships as well so it's not like he had it easy.

But he's not the only one. It was not uncommon at all among Chechens to live beyond 100 and still remain healthy. Chechens are highlanders, but it is commonly accepted knowledge among us that those who lived particularly high up in the mountains generally lived longer. I do not know if this can be scientifically true or anything, but that seemed to be the trend.

As for his lifestyle I do not have any specific knowledge, but I can tell you that he didn't eat much.

Illancha
01-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Yea me too, knowing the somewhat unhealthy foods (very fattening) in the Caucasus, I really wonder what he ate to be able to live that long.
The thing with fatty foods is that in the past it was necessary for them and it was not unhealthy because of the sort of life they lived. They really needed the energy.

However, nowadays the lifestyle has changed and it is much easier. The problem is that the food is still the same.

TheMagnificent
01-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Well, 145 sounds a bit implausible, because the oldest verified person ever was 122 years old. But I can imagine that you lose count at some point. :D

Hurrem sultana
01-19-2013, 12:06 AM
Well, 145 sounds a bit implausible, because the oldest verified person ever was 122 years old. But I can imagine that you lose count at some point. :D

you really do think they counted 100 years ago back in chechnia?:D

I also have seen on tv in bosnian mountain villages,peoples as old as 80-90 look like 65-66,so its possible.I read that before prophet Noah people were blessed with very long life,few hundreds years ;)

Illancha
01-19-2013, 12:11 AM
There was no documentation of that sort in Chechnya back then so how could you even verify it? This sort of information was either passed down through generations or written in someone's obscure journal. For example the date of birth of my grandfather is only known because it coincides with another major event. Plus modern day records do not go back that far and certainly do not include Chechnya if they do.

Regardless, it's true and he's not the only one. Trust me some Chechens live for a very long time.

Some examples from modern day.
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/07/30/1059480366337.html

Another one
m47Svo3c-cY
MkuPWSK1zwY

MissProvocateur
01-19-2013, 12:13 AM
I understand your viewpoint perfectly, and in fact, I accept it. I'm not scared of dying, nor am I scared of thinking about it, but if I have to fight for my life, I'll do it.

Here comes a personal story, if you're willing to read something that might be mildly depressing, do so, if not, move on.

Two years ago, I was caught in a rut. I overdosed on pills, but as you can see, by miracle, I survived, my body managed to fight it off. (though I felt like I was hungover for weeks). Now, at that time, nobody would dare to say I was scared of death, I wasn't.

But taking your life, no matter how many people say it's for cowards, takes A LOT of courage.

Life is something that many take for granted, and when death walks by, they freak out and wonder how the hell they got there in the first place. See, the reason I'm telling this story is to say, that back then I was pretty fucking stupid, I didn't appreciate life. The person who started this thread doesn't think like I thought two years ago (though many people like to assume so). I wasn't scared of death. I was scared of life.

But really, you shouldn't be scared of either. Life and death are things that are natural, we are born, we live, we die. Life goes by extremely quickly, so why end it sooner?

Illancha
01-19-2013, 12:15 AM
I'm not scared of dying, nor am I scared of thinking about it, but if I have to fight for my life, I'll do it.
You summed it up perfectly.

TheMagnificent
01-19-2013, 12:23 AM
you really do think they counted 100 years ago back in chechnia?:D

I also have seen on tv in bosnian mountain villages,peoples as old as 80-90 look like 65-66,so its possible.I read that before prophet Noah people were blessed with very long life,few hundreds years ;)

Counting is what mankind does from the very beginning actually. ''One saber-toothed tiger; I can beat that one. Two saber-toothed tigers; I better start running!'' :D

But I can indeed imagine that in a place like Chechnya it must have been hard to keep record of such things. However, for Christians it's not that hard to verify, because church records provide the record of most baptisms. Muslims don't have that, as you know.

Yalquzaq
01-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Well, basically you will never wake up again, if we were to explain it with words.

Everyone has issues and problems in their lives (in fact, problems cover most of our lives) and many of us probably wish to rather be death at some points in our lives, but deep inside of course no one wants to die. There is this unexplanable urge to live inside all of us. The frightening part of being death is of course the fact that we will never be able to live again, so if you knew that you were to die tomorrow, it would not actually frighten you? I'm not talking about the death itself, but things which keeps us going on with our lives.

Illancha
01-19-2013, 12:39 AM
The frightening part of being death is of course the fact that we will never be able to live again, so if you knew that you were to die tomorrow, it would not actually frighten you?
No I would not be afraid. It would be a shame that I didn't get to do all the things I want to do, but overall it doesn't really matter. I would accept it.

Neanderthal
01-19-2013, 12:44 AM
When I die i'm going on an afterparty with God, we'll have lots of booze, cocaine and whores. So i'm not worried at all.

Yalquzaq
01-19-2013, 12:44 AM
It is not only a personal matter, you also have a family etc...

Of course when you reach a certain point (and age) in your life, it becomes easier to accept it.

Gospodine
01-19-2013, 12:52 AM
There was a Chechen man who lived 145ish years. He died in the early 1970's. He was healthy until his very last day; he went to bed and never woke up. He wasn't ill, he had no pains and never needed a caretaker.

Yeah I've heard these myths before. Just myths. Nothing more to them.

The Japanese have the world's healthiest diet and longest life expectancies and even they look like crippled vegetables past the age of 110 who can barely get out of a chair.

There has never been a 145-year old human. Biologically impossible for cells to divide and replicate for that long without error.

Don't fall for that garbage peddled by frauds like Mikhail Tombak.

Illancha
01-19-2013, 12:52 AM
It is not only a personal matter, you also have family etc...

Of course when you reach a certain point (and age) in your life, it becomes easier to accept it.
Your family might be sad, but you aren't even alive to know that.

Is 20 that age?

I think it's more about your own personal approach to life that determines your attitude towards death.

Illancha
01-19-2013, 12:57 AM
Yeah I've heard these myths before. Just myths. Nothing more to them.

The Japanese have the world's healthiest diet and longest life expectancies and even they look like crippled vegetables past the age of 110 who can barely get out of a chair.

There has never been a 145-year old human. Biologically impossible for cells to divide and replicate for that long without error.

Don't fall for that garbage peddled by frauds like Mikhail Tombak.
Cool except both my parents saw him with their own eyes in fact so did my great grandfather who was younger than this man. His story is well known in the Chechen community of Jordan.

Do you know this from your own conviction?

Never heard of Mikhail Tombak does he write fairytales?

Yalquzaq
01-19-2013, 01:05 AM
Your family might be sad, but you aren't even alive to know that.

Is 20 that age?

I think it's more about your own personal approach to life that determines your attitude towards death.

But thats not the point, you still think about it personally, I meant outside of that.

There are many reasons to live. As some other members also said, it is not that one fear the death itself, but this doesn't means that you don't want to live the life, I.E not die tomorrow. We cannot determine the time of the death of course, but I suppose everyone would rather prefer to die under natural circumstances. After all, the death is not something we can avoid. But we can still try to live until the time comes.

Of course, but I'm not talking about the death itself, but things which binds us to this life. Actually, you yourself said this in your first post: "I never said I want to die, in fact I would rather live and enjoy my life."

Illancha
01-19-2013, 01:07 AM
Actually, you yourself said this in your first post: "I never said I want to die, in fact I would rather live and enjoy my life."
Yeah I do want to live, in fact I will fight for my life, but if I have to die then there's no two ways about it, it's fine I will die.

And yes I was referring to myself.

Yalquzaq
01-19-2013, 01:09 AM
Yes, but we cannot determine it after all. If you say that you would be fine if you were to die tomorrow, then fine, there is nothing to argue. After all, this is your personal approach.

Gospodine
01-19-2013, 01:21 AM
Cool except both my parents saw him with their own eyes in fact so did my great grandfather who was younger than this man. His story is well known in the Chechen community of Jordan.

He was probably old but he wasn't 145.

With no birth records and a pastoral society where time is never a constraining-factor it's easy to for years to seem like eternity.

That kind of stuff goes on in plenty of underdeveloped countries. I know several people who have no idea when they were born.

arcticwolf
01-19-2013, 01:46 AM
Fear is an illusion. There is nothing to really fear, and being afraid of inevitable is plain silly. ;)

Some say life is a terminal disease spread by sexual contact, and death is the temporary cure. :D

Y'all being theists, atheists, agnostics etc have a different take on death that Buddhists have. To a Buddhist death is nothing to be afraid of, it is something to keep in mind as a reminder to strive to enlighten the mind while one is alive and can do so. Death is just a change of state.

Remember this rule nothing, absolutely nothing can be destroyed in nature, and neither can you be destroyed in the ultimate way, if you know what I mean. Things change the state or form they don't go into non existence. Non existence is the other silly notion, it don't exist ( no pun intended! ;) )

Besides, non existence is a beautiful concept, without awareness, suffering and pain. Those who think or believe that they will no longer exist in any form, here is the reality check! YOU AIN'T THIS FUCKING LUCKY! :laugh:

pinguino
01-19-2013, 01:50 AM
Death? Well, when I die I'll tell you how it is at the other side. Otherwise, there is nothing to talk about.

Philo
01-19-2013, 01:53 AM
Fear is an illusion. There is nothing to really fear, and being afraid of inevitable is plain silly. ;)

Some say life is a terminal disease spread by sexual contact, and death is the temporary cure. :D

Y'all being theists, atheists, agnostics etc have a different take on death that Buddhists have. To a Buddhist death is nothing to be afraid of, it is something to keep in mind as a reminder to strive to enlighten the mind while one is alive and can do so. Death is just a change of state.

Remember this rule nothing, absolutely nothing can be destroyed in nature, and neither can you be destroyed in the ultimate way, if you know what I mean. Things change the state or form they don't go into non existence. Non existence is the other silly notion, it don't exist ( no pun intended! ;) )

Besides, non existence is a beautiful concept, without awareness, suffering and pain. Those who think or believe that they will no longer exist in any form, here is the reality check! YOU AIN'T THIS FUCKING LUCKY! :laugh:

You mean, "energy can't be destroyed"?

Slycooper
01-19-2013, 01:54 AM
Ask the people currently on there death bed that would give anything to live a little longer.

arcticwolf
01-19-2013, 01:58 AM
You mean, "energy can't be destroyed"?

Call it whatever you want, it's just a concept no matter how you cut it. ;)

Illancha
01-19-2013, 01:59 AM
He was probably old but he wasn't 145.

With no birth records and a pastoral society where time is never a constraining-factor it's easy to for years to seem like eternity.

That kind of stuff goes on in plenty of underdeveloped countries. I know several people who have no idea when they were born.
By the way he lost all his children and wife during the exile. He got married again at 70ish and had 6 more. It was his duty to ensure the survival of the Chechen people as far as he was concerned.

Philo
01-19-2013, 02:26 AM
Noxcho, I don't understand how you can belive in eternal oblivion(nothing after death). You're a muslim, and AFAIK a belive in an afterlife is an important part of the muslim religion, no?

Illancha
01-19-2013, 02:28 AM
Where did I ever say I believe in eternal oblivion?

If I ever did mention it, then I was probably trying to explain why even that is not such a bad thing. Doesn't mean I believe that is our fate.

Svipdag
01-19-2013, 02:34 AM
Once, I did. I had, potentially, decades ahead of me and I dreaded being cheated of them. Now, I have HAD my youth, my maturity. I have got out of life some of what I wanted. Whatever I have missed is no one's fault but my own.

My insatiable curiosity would be undiminished had I centuries more to live.
However long I live, there will always be more that I want to know. To what end ? I have no idea .

There are times when I would welcome death as surcease from the infirmities of old age. Indeed, I am convinced that the aches, pains, and miseries of old age have a function: to resign us to the prospect of death. And, when everything hurts, I can understand why the title of one of the Lutheran chorales is "Komm' suesser Tod" = Come sweet death. But, not today, please; I feel pretty good at the moment.

Of course, it is the Hereafter, if any, which occasions much apprehension in us. "To sleep, perchance to dream, aye, there's the rub. For in that sleep, of death, what dreams may come, when we have shuffle'd off this mortal coil ?"
NDE's (called by their critics "Non-Death Experiences"), to the contrary notwithstanding, NO MAN KNOWS . And, we all fear the unknown.

I am more curious about it than fearful. I'd like my epitaph to read "Now, perhaps, I shall know the truth."

"NEC SPE NEC METV"

arcticwolf
01-19-2013, 02:40 AM
Once, I did. I had, potentially, decades ahead of me and I dreaded being cheated of them. Now, I have HAD my youth, my maturity. I have got out of life some of what I wanted. Whatever I have missed is no one's fault but my own.

My insatiable curiosity would be undiminished had I centuries more to live.
However long I live, there will always be more that I want to know. To what end ? I have no idea .

There are times when I would welcome death as surcease from the infirmities of old age. Indeed, I am convinced that the aches, pains, and miseries of old age have a function: to resign us to the prospect of death. And, when everything hurts, I can understand why the title of one of the Lutheran chorales is "Komm' suesser Tod" = Come sweet death. But, not today, please; I feel pretty good at the moment.

Of course, it is the Hereafter, if any, which occasions much apprehension in us. "To sleep, perchance to dream, aye, there's the rub. For in that sleep, of death, what dreams may come, when we have shuffle'd off this mortal coil ?"
NDE's (called by their critics "Non-Death Experiences"), to the contrary notwithstanding, NO MAN KNOWS . And, we all fear the unknown.

I am more curious about it than fearful. I'd like my epitaph to read "Now, perhaps, I shall know the truth."

"NEC SPE NEC METV"

Beautifully said. You Sir are a wise man!

Here is a thought worth pondering over, what if the truth can be known before the end of the cycle (death). Seems to me that the best chance to get to know the truth is to be actively seeking it while the mind is wise(r).

It's just a different slant of the same theme.

Philo
01-19-2013, 02:41 AM
Where did I ever say I believe in eternal oblivion?

If I ever did mention it, then I was probably trying to explain why even that is not such a bad thing. Doesn't mean I believe that is our fate.

OK. It souned like you belived in eternal oblivion, but i guess not.

I think eternal oblivion goes somewhat against the nature of the universe. If time is infinite than anything that can happen, will happen, no?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_return

American_Hispanist
01-19-2013, 02:49 AM
I don't fear death. What I fear is that I don't live a fulfilling and full life before I die. Dying is something normal.

RussiaPrussia
01-19-2013, 06:02 AM

of course everyone is afraid of death its part of being a human, there is something called instinct which lets everything happen to not to die. Youre just typing but if you would really face a situation where you would nearly die you wouldnt just stand there and except it. So basicly denying fear for death is just a lie to your self because your body knows better.

Petersburg
01-19-2013, 06:05 AM
I do believe in a warm coffin and good place on the cemetery somewhere near in St. Petersburg :thumb001:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2r2n0xk.jpg

Óttar
01-19-2013, 06:27 AM
It's a wonder billions of people have incarnated on this earth, and not one of them ever figured out how to not die. Seems like a pretty damned important nuisance to figure out.

Seems to me like everyone should stop whatever it is they are doing, and alert the world: "Hey everybody, I don't know if you noticed, but 'We are all going to fucking die!...Maybe let's all try to figure out how not to...'"

Once I was watching TV and I said to my aunt and uncle, "This guy should stop talking right in the middle of the broadcast and say, 'Well ladies and gentlemen, what's the point in doing this broadcast when we are just all going to die?'"

My uncle said, "While we're waiting..." :D

Whether I fear death or not depends on my mood. I had a dream recently where I was standing on my own grave with my body in the tomb under the Earth and everything. (Yes, there were two bodies, I know it's a logical impossibility, but it was a dream.) It was very nightmarish.

When I drink, I neither think about nor care about death. When I ingest cannabis, I become absolutely aware of my own mortality.

It's like Oscar Wilde said about absinthe:

"After the first drink, you see things as you would like them to be. After the second [...I forget this one... :confused:]. After the third, you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible."

Accountant
01-19-2013, 06:47 AM
People value their pathetic slave lives too much these days. There were times when men were ready to die for their honor and the for the well-being of their loved ones. Now we live meaningless work-buy-consume-die lives and try to prolong these lives no matter what: we surrender so easily, as long as we are left alive. Such a shameful situation.

Dacul
01-19-2013, 07:27 AM
Only the body dies,the spirit and the mind are not dieing.
Death exists only at a part of jewized people/jewish people.
But real jewish religion,before it degenerated to the materialistic nonsense that is today,was also beliving that the mind and the spirit are living forever.

Philo
01-19-2013, 07:33 AM
Only the body dies,the spirit and the mind are not dieing.
Death exists only at a part of jewized people/jewish people.
But real jewish religion,before it degenerated to the materialistic nonsense that is today,was also beliving that the mind and the spirit are living forever.

WTF does this thread have to do with the jewish religion?>??
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/131/319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

And I won't even mention how wrong you are.

Absinthe
01-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Now - ironically enough - I am going to use a Christian Orthodox quote from a monastery of Athos:

"If you die before you die,
then when you die, you will not die"

I think this little piece of wisdom here extends far beyond the boundaries of Orthodoxy and is a truth found behind every religion (especially eastern ones); true immortality of the soul lies in conquering the fear of death.

Philo
01-19-2013, 07:53 AM
I hope to die in my home, surronded by family and friends. I hope to be at least 80. I would hate to die in a hospital. That's what happened to my grandpa. I'd hate that.

Dacul
01-19-2013, 07:55 AM
WTF does this thread have to do with the jewish religion?>??
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/131/319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

And I won't even mention how wrong you are.

Go read and you will find out.
During old jewish religion were 2 currents in it:
the materialistic one and the spiritual one.The materialistic one was not beliving that the spirit and the mind are living forever so they were interested in living a life of pleasures,did not care about hurting other persons,were interested mostly by earning easy money and so on.
For these people death was saw as a big tragedy.
The materialistic current won and now most people of jewish religion are of this current.
And jewized people are following them,in this.

Philo
01-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Go read and you will find out.
During old jewish religion were 2 currents in it:
the materialistic one and the spiritual one.The materialistic one was not beliving that the spirit and the mind are living forever so they were interested in living a life of pleasures,did not care about hurting other persons,were interested mostly by earning easy money and so on.
For these people death was saw as a big tragedy.
The materialistic current won and now most people of jewish religion are of this current.
And jewized people are following them,in this.

I know very well what my acnestors did and the 2 currents. This has nothing to do with the thread:rolleyes:.
And belive me, there are other religions that don't belive in an afterlife.
The materialstic current did'nt win. I know way more jews than you and the ones who are religious belive in afterlife.

This is the one that won:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharisees
They belive in an afterlife.

Bridie
01-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Death: is it so bad?

Impossible to know if you've never died before.

Ozzy
01-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Would someone here volunteer to kill themselves to let us know if it's that bad or not?

Illancha
01-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Would someone here volunteer to kill themselves to let us know if it's that bad or not?
I'll do my best to let you know when I do eventually die.

Can't make any promises though.

Ozzy
01-19-2013, 12:30 PM
I'll do my best to let you know when I do eventually die.

Can't make any promises though.

Same here, bud. I'm working on it. :p

Tyfani
02-04-2013, 03:11 PM
I am more afraid of cockroaches :p

Mans not hot
02-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Without death, what's the point in life?

If humans were to be (hypothetically) immortal, what reason would there be to accomplish anything? Death introduces a sense of urgency to life that we would be lost without.

Siberian Cold Breeze
02-06-2013, 11:20 AM

Hereby I promise, If I die I will visit every member of TA one by one :)
Also I may haunt the forum ,so TA becomes more popular ..

http://i.imgur.com/eM2aR2U.jpg?1

Hurrem sultana
02-06-2013, 11:21 AM

NOO noo:eek::D

Siberian Cold Breeze
02-06-2013, 11:39 AM
BUHAHAAA

http://i.imgur.com/BhSEHDS.jpg

Illancha
02-06-2013, 12:18 PM
I'll be waiting.

Xime
02-06-2013, 12:31 PM
I fear for the death of my loved ones, I have no fear of mine

Smaland
02-06-2013, 01:08 PM
1) The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come.

2) He shall enter into peace: they shall rest in their beds, each one walking in his uprightness.

Isaiah 57:1-2 (King James Version)