PDA

View Full Version : Does the Belgian nation exist?

Nadezhda89
01-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Does the Belgian nation exist?
I remeber how once I watched my favorite TV series about Hercule Poirot and he said: "No, no, monsieur, I am NOT French...I am BELGIAN!". At that time I used to believe that the Belgian nation exists. But now I am not sure. Even in this forum for Belguim there are: Wallonia and Vlaanderen.

Onur
01-14-2013, 11:35 PM
No, it doesn't exist.

This is a good example of it`s nonexistence;

Belgium was reeling Monday after the country's likely new prime minister was asked on Belgium's National Day to sing the national anthem and inadvertently launched into the French anthem instead.

Asked Saturday by a reporter from a state television channel, RTBF, to sing the Belgian national anthem, "La Brabançonne," on the day commemorating the accession of King Leopold I of Belgium to the throne in 1831, Yves Leterme, a Flemish politician who is struggling to form a coalition government, smiled at the camera and blurted out, "Allons enfants de la patrie" - the first words of "La Marseillaise."

Pressed by the reporter as to whether he really thought those were the words, Leterme, the head of the Flemish Christian Democrat party, replied: "Oh, I don't know."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/23/world/europe/23iht-belgium.4.6789277.html?_r=0

Comte Arnau
01-14-2013, 11:44 PM
No. The Belgian country does.

Lemon Kush
01-14-2013, 11:54 PM
It may technically be a country, but there is no such as "Belgian" people they are mixture of French and Dutch with a German minority.