PDA

View Full Version : how multi-ethnic is your family

Mortimer
01-20-2013, 03:57 AM
do you have extended or even close relatives who date or married someone of another ethnicity or race?

how do you deal with it?

i have only "native balkan" ethnicities among my relatives. eventhough lot of racist balkan persons will say "romas are not native balkan ethnicity" but they are not foreigners or immigrants to me. i view myself as "native" from voivodina. i dont think im Immigrant there.

Methmatician
01-20-2013, 04:38 AM
I have a cousin who is half-Serb and half-Bosniak. That's the only non-Bosniak relative I have that I'm aware of.

Grenzland
01-20-2013, 05:43 PM
100 % German, afaik. ;)

Petersburg
01-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Mono ethnical - Russians and a few Ukrainians.

Damião de Góis
01-20-2013, 05:47 PM
No, my familily is only now starting to get "multi-regional".

Hurrem sultana
01-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Non

A distant relative is married to a macedonian turk

The Alchemist
01-20-2013, 05:49 PM
A 60 years old aunt of mine has a 37 years old guy from Congo, no joke...

Leon_C
01-20-2013, 05:56 PM
My mothers sister is married to a black Jamaican guy, I can imagine my grandfather was dissaopinted when he found out they were seeing each other.

Also my fathers brother is married to a Thai woman even though he's one of the most nordid ubermensch looking guys I've ever seen

Germanicus
01-20-2013, 05:58 PM
My elder brother married an Irish woman.

Duke
01-20-2013, 05:59 PM
I have lots non Croats in my wide familiy.

Since I have cousins in Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, Germany... etc, some of them have various spouses

bella1407
01-20-2013, 06:00 PM
My aunt's husband is a Jew.

evon
01-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Quite multi-ethnic by now (mostly intra-European, but also some Asian ect), i dont care much, people choose their own path, its not upto me or anyone else to choose it for them..

Lux Aeterna
01-20-2013, 06:01 PM
My mom is married to a negro...

------

Nah, actually a Swedish man, metalhead with a ponytail, beard, band shirts and the whole thing... xD

Duke
01-20-2013, 06:01 PM
I have lots non Croats in my wide familiy.

Since I have cousins in Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, Germany... etc, some of them have various spouses

Interestingly tho, i dont think a have any blood related people who are from other Balkan countries, as far as I know off

Pretan
01-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Both my parents are of Anglo-Scot ancestry. Both my grandfathers are from Scotland (Lothian and Dumfries areas), whilst both my grandmothers are from around South Yorkshire and Humberside. I don't think it matters too much though as differences between South Scotland and North England are marginal.

Peyrol
01-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Some of my relatives are married with:
-romanians
-slovenians
-germans
-british
-americans
-swedish
-finnish
-japanese
-french canadian

morski
01-20-2013, 06:10 PM
My immediate family is mono-ethnic Bulgarian. I have two half Armenian second cousins and a half Romanian niece. That's it.

Now I remembered I have two half Russian cousins as well.:D

bella1407
01-20-2013, 06:30 PM
My father is Polish with some ukrainian roots.
My mother is half Russian half Ukrainian.
so I am 100% slavic.
but my uncle is a Jew:D.
My mother's first husband was Belarussian. So my sisters are Russian/Belarusian.

SilverKnight
01-20-2013, 06:31 PM
99.9% Dominican, .1% white- American, Puerto Rican, some other Latin American :b

Smaug
01-20-2013, 06:35 PM
I have ancestry from 6 countries :D
But ok, I'm mostly British-Italian and full European. My uncle on the Italian side married a Japanese-Brazilian girl, and they had a kid, my cousin, who is still a baby, and looks East-Baltid. He is blond and have light eyes, but looks Eurasian.

Slycooper
01-20-2013, 06:35 PM
My Portuguese side mostly stayed with Portuguese. But my 1st cousin on my mothers side is half Portuguese like me.

kabeiros
01-20-2013, 06:39 PM
A cousin of mine is dating a Bulgarian girl and they will probably get married. Other than him 100% Greeks

bladieblah
01-20-2013, 06:41 PM
I hope I don't get any abuse for this, but yes my whole family is very mixed including me. My mother is half Swedish, my grandfather (her father) is originally from north India generations and generations back but classes himself as Guyanese (in south america) as there is a big Indian population there. He may also have some native American ancestry as his eyes are similar to many Latino's/native Americans. My grandmother (who is Swedish) has told me her father was originally Finnish so I also have Finnish relatives. Then my father is is half Spanish (from his mother) and half Berber Moroccan. So yes I am very mixed. And my uncle (my mum's brother) married a woman from Peru so his children are also very mixed. His wife is rather light though, so I assume she has quite a bit of European mix in her as she could pass as being a Spaniard.

bella1407
01-20-2013, 08:46 PM
I hope I don't get any abuse for this, but yes my whole family is very mixed including me. My mother is half Swedish, my grandfather (her father) is originally from north India generations and generations back but classes himself as Guyanese (in south america) as there is a big Indian population there. He may also have some native American ancestry as his eyes are similar to many Latino's/native Americans. My grandmother (who is Swedish) has told me her father was originally Finnish so I also have Finnish relatives. Then my father is is half Spanish (from his mother) and half Berber Moroccan. So yes I am very mixed. And my uncle (my mum's brother) married a woman from Peru so his children are also very mixed. His wife is very rather light though, so I assume she has quite a bit of European mix in her as she could pass as being a Spaniard.

do u look more european or non-european?

bladieblah
01-20-2013, 09:00 PM
do u look more european or non-european?

I'm not really sure to be honest. I think it depends on whether I'm tanned or not. Most people tell me I look latina or something like that:
tanned:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4080/4767315163_80a123a643_b.jpg

not tanned:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8084/8379874431_354def69de_z.jpg

Smaug
01-20-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm not really sure to be honest. I think it depends on whether I'm tanned or not. Most people tell me I look latina or something like that:
tanned:

not tanned:

Yes, looks Mestiza. Very pretty by the way.

Azalea
01-20-2013, 09:07 PM
My uncle was dating a Dutch girl for a few years but they split up. My cousin married a Turkish/Georgian mix and a few second cousins are married to Kurds.

Oh and my sister was dating a Bosnian for a while but nothing really serious.

bella1407
01-20-2013, 09:14 PM
tanned:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4080/4767315163_80a123a643_b.jpg

not tanned:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8084/8379874431_354def69de_z.jpg

wow! yes, you look latina..... very beautiful latina:p:thumb001:

bladieblah
01-20-2013, 09:16 PM
wow! yes, you look latina..... very beautiful latina:p:thumb001:

aw thanks that's very sweet of you :)

bladieblah
01-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Yes, looks Mestiza. Very pretty by the way.

thank you :)

Azalea
01-20-2013, 09:19 PM
I can see the Moroccan in you in the non-tanned picture for sure. :)

Mechanolater
01-20-2013, 09:24 PM
do you have extended or even close relatives who date or married someone of another ethnicity or race?

My grandmother was with a Puerto Rican man when she was younger and had my mother's half brother. My grandfather's current wife is 1/4 Mexican, and my uncle's wife is Mexican. I don't concern myself with my grandmother's past and the wives of my uncle and grandfather are nice broads (not to mention they're all on the other side of the country).

Mraz
01-20-2013, 09:32 PM
I have one aunt(not blood related) who is 1/2 Serbian, so my cousins are 1/4 Serbs.
A cousin of my mother married a Sri Lankan woman.
And a remote cousin married an Austrian woman after converting to Catholicism.
Except those, no multi ethnic relationships.

Rosenrot
01-20-2013, 09:37 PM
My father is married to a Russian woman, his sister to a Dutch man. I have cousins in Italy, New Zeland, USA... Probably more if I remember. Maybe the immigrant blood remains alive on us |o|

Lithium
01-20-2013, 09:41 PM
One of my uncles is involved in diplomacy duties around the world so he married a Norwegian woman and they have three children (both of the parents are Nordid) Other than that my family is 100% Bulgarian

Just90
01-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Just between Europeans and East Asians

Clawgauth
01-20-2013, 09:48 PM
from my father side we are 100% venetic, from my mother side we're 25% austrian and 75 full venetic.
Not non-europeans mixed.

Sisak
01-20-2013, 09:58 PM
All Croats. Even family in Australia refused to marry with non-Croats.

Sultan Suleiman
01-20-2013, 10:18 PM
All of them were Bosniaks as far as I care, if we don't count in the central/east European genetic input (mostly maternally) coming from the slave trade.

Vasconcelos
01-20-2013, 10:21 PM
An aunt's husband is a Swiss-French, but that's as foreign as my family gets. Unfortunetly they didn't have any kids, which is a pity, both are absolutely fantastic persons.

TheMagnificent
01-21-2013, 07:48 PM
An uncle of my father, who is now deceased, was married to a Dutch woman. They have two sons, who consequently are half Dutch/half Turkish. They both married Turkish ladies and both of them have two daughters now (being 1/4 Dutch and 3/4 Turkish).

Another, distant uncle of my father married a Kurdish woman after his first (Turkish) wife passed away. His Kurdish wife gave him one son (1/2 Kurdish and 1/2 Turkish) beside his son and daughter from his first marriage.

My own uncle, the brother of my father, is married to a woman coming from a family partially of Albanian descent (on mother's side), but they are now pretty much as Turkish as can be; they don't speak a word Albanian or whatsoever.

Finally, I have one cousin who is married to a Turk whose family is Balkan muhacirs from Ottoman times (I forgot which country) and another cousin who is married to a Turk of Crimean Tatar descent. As far as I know, the rest of the family is Turkish.

alanr
01-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Where do I start. First of all my mother is half Jewish (as her father was Jewish and converted to Islam) which means I have a fair amount of Jewish relatives in Israels. My moms mother comes from a family with Christian roots whom also converted to Islam, and so I do have some Christian relatives. My mothers family is "kurdified" though.

My father is Kurdish, as it gets in fact. From "Ardalan" which is known to be an "Alans" settlement.

As for cousins marrying people from other ethnic groups I have Canadian, English, American, Polish, Turkish, Azeri, and Chinese relatives, as far as I know.

finþaų
01-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Just about zero.

Rouxinol
01-22-2013, 08:14 AM
My older sister is married to a Calabrese Italian.

Lemon Kush
01-22-2013, 08:35 AM
My aunt's husband is French but they have no kids, and my cousin's husband is White-American. That's about it though.

Roy
01-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Quite a lot. In my country people tend to maintain contact with often very distant family and this applies also to my case. One of my great-grandmothers came from France (Caen and Normandy region) so I have some ancestors and family from there. But they don't speak polish bar her grandson which lives here. I've been there a few times. I have also aunt which is married to German and they bring up two sons who speak two languages.

Queen B
01-22-2013, 09:08 AM

My great grandmother from my mother's side is from Sicily (or Apulia)
My uncle was engaged with a Swedish woman, some years ago.
Also, my cousin (lives in Canada) was dating an Italian guy.
The rest Greeks, Greeks, Greeks...

evon
01-22-2013, 03:51 PM
I think my youngest brother is dating a Sri lankan girl, so Asia is well covered, but still no Africans in my immediate family...

Arthas
01-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Not a single non-British person in my living family including boyfriends/girlfriends/husbands/wives etc.

I don't know how I'd react to be honest. I am 60% sure that my sister will become a coalburner.

Meina
03-29-2015, 02:30 AM
I have family member who married a Chinese woman. Their children are grown now and are very confused. I'm admittedly uncomfortable around them because they speak Chinese to each other like a secret language. I can't shake that feeling like they're talking about the rest of us...

rhiannon
03-29-2015, 02:44 AM
My whole family up until the generation after my own are your basic Colonial American NW Euromutts, so our ancestry all stems from the same vicinity.

Obviously, the generation after mine has significant differences.

Shah-Jehan
03-29-2015, 02:47 AM
I have maternal second cousins who are half German/ half Bengali and half Anglo-Saxon/half Bengali. I also have distant relatives who married Indians, English and Sri Lankans.

Raphacam
03-29-2015, 02:55 AM
One of my maternal uncles is married to a black woman, but they didn't have any children. My paternal aunt got married to a blue-eyed and fair-skinned mulatto and one of the kids got out more African-influenced than their own father.

I've got two uncles who got married to pred. white mixed women and had children looking white, while an aunt who got married to a full white guy. Funny thing is she's the only next relative I have with obvious non-white features (almost 1/4 Jewish, African and Native altogether, something that her siblings didn't show).

Taiga Lake
03-29-2015, 02:12 PM
My sister has finnish and sami roots but dates nordic norwegian but that's about it.

Drakoblare
03-29-2015, 02:17 PM
I have some relatives in the US and Canada so they probably mixed. I also have an uncle who has married and has a kid with a Serbian woman (that looks 100% Russian).

glicine max
03-29-2015, 02:21 PM
I don't know her personally, but I've heard a relative of mine has married an albanian

Tacitus
03-29-2015, 02:25 PM
I have some cousins who are half-German, but that's it. Everyone else is Italian.

Catkin
03-29-2015, 03:11 PM
There are lots of part-English/part-Irish marriages in my family. Most recently my half Irish uncle married a half Irish woman last year. Two of my cousins married NZers of Scottish descent. So pretty much just an Isles mix.

Minesweeper
03-29-2015, 03:13 PM
It's monoethnic.

Roy
03-29-2015, 04:38 PM
I am of one ethnicity but one of my cousins is half-German. I also have more distant family who lives in France and is mostly French by ancestry now.

Trogdor
03-29-2015, 04:40 PM
Most people in my family are married to other Italian-Americans, but my aunt is Chinese-American. We see people from her side of the family on holidays. There are no issues with it.

Seraph of the End
03-29-2015, 05:13 PM
Mostly Serbs and Croats, on both sides.
One of my cousins from maternal side is half Bosniak (although he is completely detached from that side of his family), one is married to an Australian woman of British descent (still without children) and one is married to a German man (without children). Other than those three cases, most of them are Serbs, Croats or a mix between the two.

Lusos
03-29-2015, 05:17 PM
N/A

Archduke
03-29-2015, 05:23 PM
The brother of my paternal grandfather is married to a Czech woman. The first cousin of my father is married to a Greek guy.

StonyArabia
03-29-2015, 05:26 PM
Two of my maternal uncles are married to European women. One is married to Anglo-American woman with some French roots, well the other is in Uruguay married to women of Spanish descent. A second cousin married to Chinese Muslim woman. From my maternal side.

Jana
03-29-2015, 05:49 PM
Many relatives married foreigners, but they all come from mother's side. My aunt is married to Canadian of English heritage. Cousins in the US married people of various European ethnicites (Norwegian, German, Irish, Italian). Some married Jewish women, and I have relatives in France, Romania and Russia married to the locals. Guess that's what happens when you study and work abroad.

♥ Lily ♥
04-04-2015, 06:48 AM
I have mostly English ancestry with a small amount of Welsh and Irish ancestry, English-Austrian nieces, an English-Scottish nephew, a half English and half Saint Lucian child, some relatives living in Scotland, Ireland, San Francisco, the Shetland Isles, 3 of my cousins are 1/4 Chinese and 1/4 Portuguese from their father and 1/2 English from my paternal aunt, and the rest of my cousins are all English, and I have some cousins who are Anglo-Irish.

Ivan Kramskoï
04-04-2015, 07:23 AM
I am of " Russian " (broad sense) and French descent, nonetheless in my close family other ethnicities are represented.
Russian, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Romanian and European jew.

Balmung
04-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Mothers side including cousins, aunts, uncles and the people they married. Half germans and half brits (cousins). 1 Irish/English/German (my aunts husband) and 2 lombards. My girlfriend is Ukrainian, Bulgarian and Czech, and yes it absolutely does have a hand in my current slav woman love affair.

Itarildë
04-04-2015, 09:40 AM
British Isles and Ireland... We haven't strayed too far to be honest haha!

Empecinado
04-04-2015, 09:51 AM
I have a cousin who is married with a Japanese woman, that's all.

Böri
04-04-2015, 09:59 AM
I am from Eastern Black Sea coast province of Giresun, my ancestry is Oghuz Turkish as far as I track. My broader family not many foreign individuals, only a Circassian and a Muslim Georgian.

Bobby Martnen
02-27-2018, 02:48 AM
Everyone in my close family is White and Christian, I have more distant relatives who married Hispanic and Persian people.