PDA

View Full Version : "Arab" Found in Danish Iron-Age Grave

ButlerKing
01-20-2013, 06:19 PM
This is interesting.....

"Arab" Found in Danish Iron-Age Grave

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/images/080624-arab-dane_big.jpg

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/06/080624-arab-dane.html
"

An ancient Dane with Arabian genes is part of a DNA study that suggests Scandinavians of 2,000 years ago were more genetically diverse than today.

Researchers say the Iron Age man may have been a soldier serving on the Roman Empire's northern frontier or a descendant of female slaves transported from the Middle East.
The Roman Empire at the time stretched as far as the Middle East, while Roman legions were based as far north as the River Elbe in northern Germany.

The study analyzed 18 well-preserved bodies from two burial sites dating from 0 to A.D. 400 in eastern Denmark. The sites were originally excavated some 20 years ago.

Mitochondrial DNA, which provides a genetic record of an individual's maternal ancestry, was taken from teeth by a team led by Linea Melchior of the Institute of Forensic Medicine at the University of Copenhagen.

One skeleton had a type of DNA signature—known as a haplogroup—closely associated with the Arabian Peninsula, according to Melchior.

"It's especially found among some Bedouin tribes, but it has also been found in the southern part of Europe," the researcher said.

Iron Age Grave

The skeleton came from Bøgebjerggård, an Iron Age site on the southern part of the island of Sjælland (Zealand).

The bodies likely belonged to poor farmers, the team said.

Other unusual haplogroups were identified, including one representing a prehistoric European lineage which today is found in only about 2 percent of Danes, Melchior said. "

Virtuous
01-20-2013, 06:21 PM
That must be me, I traveled back in time.

evon
01-20-2013, 06:22 PM
very old study, where did you come across it?

Graham
01-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Properly intact too! Would like to know what the mtDNA is.

Edit: In DNA terms 2008 is old.

Ibericus
lol at the label "arab" of the media. It's not that he was an arab, but that his mtDNA originates and is more common in the middle-east, even tough is still found in 2% of modern Danes.

SilverKnight
Now and wait for the folks (Pinguino, and other massively obsessive trolls) who'll claim that the Scandinavians are also part Arab :rolleyes:

ButlerKing
very old study, where did you come across it?

From a forum but you can find the source here ( National Geographic )

Graham
01-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Mtdna is very wide spread in general. There's not as much patterns as Ydna. Like for instance, my mtDNA K. That is also found in the Middle East.

K1c2 isn't found there.

Food
01-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Skando-Arabid

evon
01-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Edit: In DNA terms 2008 is old.

Hence why i was sceptical..

From a forum but you can find the source here ( National Geographic )

Why did you bring it up now, seems weird...

You can compare the data to this:

http://www.buildinghistory.org/distantpast/ancientdna.shtml

Catrau
01-20-2013, 06:42 PM
... Like for instance, my mtDNA K. That is also found in the Middle East.

Graham, you're doomed man!!
:D:D:D:D

Graham
01-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Graham, you're doomed man!!
:D:D:D:D

I don't mind. It has been in Europe for while. K1 like Otzi :)

Haplogroup K was found in the remains of three individuals from the Pre-Pottery Neolithic B site of Tell Ramad, Syria, dating from c. 6000 BC. Haplogroup K has also been found in skeletons of early farmers in Central Europe of around 5500-5300 BC.

It has long been known that the techniques of farming, together with associated plant and animal breeds, spread into Europe from the Near East. The evidence from ancient DNA suggests that the Neolithic culture spread by human migration.

Analysis of the mtDNA of Ötzi the Iceman, the frozen mummy from 3,300 BC found on the Austrian-Italian border, has shown that Ötzi belongs to the K1 subclade.

mtDNA K found in megalithic site from 3300BC to 3000BC in San Juan Ante Portam Latinam, Araba, Spain

mtDNA K at San Juan Ante Portam Latinam, Araba, Basque country 3300-3042 BC

MtDNA haplogroup K was very frequent in 4,000 to 5,000 year old Basque skeletons, at 20%.

RussiaPrussia
05-30-2013, 09:35 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2qluxvl.png

danes actually have more arbian hablogroup than other nordics

Artek
05-30-2013, 09:41 AM
I've always had a doubt about credibility of National Geographic. It's fine too some extent but lacks professionalism because of the need of having wide audience.

"Arab". cha cha cha cha! It's as Arab as Hitler was paternally "Jewish"

morski
05-30-2013, 09:42 AM
That's the key phrase in this article - Scandinavians of 2,000 years ago were more genetically diverse than today.

It's just another multiculti promotion tool.

Artek
05-30-2013, 09:45 AM
That's the key phrase in this article - Scandinavians of 2,000 years ago were more genetically diverse than today.

It's just another multiculti promotion tool.
I think it's a deliberate step too. It sounds like "We need more Arabs in Denmark, as it was 2000 years ago."

Fire Haired
06-23-2013, 05:58 AM
This is interesting.....

"Arab" Found in Danish Iron-Age Grave

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/images/080624-arab-dane_big.jpg

"

An ancient Dane with Arabian genes is part of a DNA study that suggests Scandinavians of 2,000 years ago were more genetically diverse than today.

Researchers say the Iron Age man may have been a soldier serving on the Roman Empire's northern frontier or a descendant of female slaves transported from the Middle East.
The Roman Empire at the time stretched as far as the Middle East, while Roman legions were based as far north as the River Elbe in northern Germany.

The study analyzed 18 well-preserved bodies from two burial sites dating from 0 to A.D. 400 in eastern Denmark. The sites were originally excavated some 20 years ago.

Mitochondrial DNA, which provides a genetic record of an individual's maternal ancestry, was taken from teeth by a team led by Linea Melchior of the Institute of Forensic Medicine at the University of Copenhagen.

One skeleton had a type of DNA signature—known as a haplogroup—closely associated with the Arabian Peninsula, according to Melchior.

"It's especially found among some Bedouin tribes, but it has also been found in the southern part of Europe," the researcher said.

Iron Age Grave

The skeleton came from Bøgebjerggård, an Iron Age site on the southern part of the island of Sjælland (Zealand).

The bodies likely belonged to poor farmers, the team said.

Other unusual haplogroups were identified, including one representing a prehistoric European lineage which today is found in only about 2 percent of Danes, Melchior said. "

Danish where less diverse back then because there is no way they where more diverse because where did the arab people go how can a not 100% danish person 500 years later becaome more danish that makes no sense this article is just trying to get attention they dont even know if the person was arab all tehy know is a danish woman had a mtDNA haplogroup that is rare in europe and mainly found in the mid east that tells nothing this person was not arab

a haplogroup is just a direct lineage the mid eastern linage could have been brought 7,000ybp to denmark this woman was not arab

Philo
06-23-2013, 06:23 AM
I don't mind. It has been in Europe for while. K1 like Otzi :)

K1 pride dude!:laugh:

StonyArabia
12-24-2014, 05:35 AM
That mtDna peaks heavily in ethnic Arabians, and it's specific to them. This person was probably a by product of a slave woman. This woman was captured and sold and her descendant entered Denimark . It was well known that the Romans often captured Arabian slaves from the Syrian Desert. Several chronicles and Arabian epics speak of this.

Smeagol
12-24-2014, 05:52 AM
Seems to be just more multicultural propaganda. It doesn't say what the haplogroup was but apparently it's present in Europe as well. Maybe just Neolithic inheritance?

FeederOfRavens
12-24-2014, 06:08 AM
Ancestor of The King, I am.