PDA

View Full Version : Which neighbour do the Bulgarians resemble the most?

ioan assen
01-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Macedonians are excluded, because the poll would be useless then. So is the Serbs, Greeks, Romanians or Turks? I m talking about looks and mentality - the combination... Non-bulgarians are invited to vote too.

ioan assen
01-21-2013, 07:05 PM
I voted Romanians...

Archduke
01-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Bulgarians usualy answer Serbs on this question.

Genetically we are closer to Romanians and culturally to Serbs.

Sikeliot
01-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Greeks and Romanians. Not Serbs.

I will pick Romania.

Geni
01-21-2013, 07:08 PM
I saw a programm for Bulgaria and i think south albanian Tosk look much bulgarian..

American_Hispanist
01-21-2013, 07:09 PM
I would say FYROMians if they I had the option but I'll say Turks just because I am pissed off that I don't have the option of FYROMians.

Archduke
01-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Greeks and Romanians. Not Serbs.

I will pick Romania.

We are closer to Serbia than to Greece.

I voted for Serbs because i feel most connected to them from the nations who are listed above. We speak almost the same language, we both are Orthodox, we ahve similar cuisine and culture overall...

Sikeliot
01-21-2013, 07:12 PM
I'd rank them in this order;

1) Romania
2) Greece
3) Serbia
4) Turkey

Archduke
01-21-2013, 07:14 PM
i think south albanian Tosk look much bulgarian..

I agree here.

ioan assen
01-21-2013, 07:21 PM
I think Bulgarians and Romanians are also more connected through history: we were both in one country for a long time, I ve read some Vatican sources from middle ages where they always list us with the Romanians. There was a source where they were saying how a certain word is promounced and they were saying in Serbian this way, in Greek this way and in Bulgarian and Vlah - this way... From any country I ve visited in the Balkans (Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Greece, Turkey, Romania) the most similar to Bulgaria was Romania... Of course Serbs are very close too especially the language...

Archduke
01-21-2013, 07:26 PM
^I don't know if it is because of the region i live but Romanians are very foreign for me. Even more than Greeks.

Although there are many archives which prove that Romanians and Bulgarians were basically the same people till recently, i still do not consider them close.

PS Romania is pred. Alpinoid nation, while Bulgaria and Serbia are mainly Pontid.

Lithium
01-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Serbians and Romanians after that Greeks.

ioan assen
01-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Serbians and Romanians after that Greeks.
You havent voted :)

ioan assen
01-21-2013, 07:49 PM
After the Romanians, I m kind of divided between Serbs and Greeks: Serbs are deffinately similar as far as language goes, but we have much in common with the Greeks culturally and as a mentality. Though those are similar with the Serbs...

Dacul
01-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Romanians from South of South Romania.

Twistedmind
01-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Bulgarians usualy answer Serbs on this question.

This seems to be corect answer. I will answer Serbs sinc I think most people in both countries follow other side media music and so on due mutual inteligibility of two languages.

Guapo
01-22-2013, 12:44 AM
Serbs but alot of Bulgarians also have that east slav phenotypes(Ukiraine look) as opposed to Adraiatic/Dinaric types associated with Serbs and croatys

Sorab
01-22-2013, 12:51 AM
Serbs but alot of Bulgarians also have that east slav phenotypes(Ukiraine look) as opposed to Adraiatic/Dinaric types associated with Serbs and croatys
Rural Serbs from southeastern Serbia have that eastern Slavic look as well as western Bulgarians (Rangers pics ive seen).Rest of Bulgaria more with Romanians since ive been to both countries .Dinarid-Adriatids are mostly found in Hercegovina ,Dalmatia and partially Montenegro .And i dont think Pontid is the main type here in Serbia either except maybe northeastern Serbia among the Romanian minority .Pontid influence yes but in combination with other types .
Heres a youth soccer team from a village in SE Serbia
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9005/dscn2605i.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/dscn2605i.jpg/) 1 or 2 of them looks suspicious since there are many gypsies in southern Serbia but others looks Serbian .

Midori
01-22-2013, 12:51 AM
I would say FYROMians if they I had the option but I'll say Turks just because I am pissed off that I don't have the option of FYROMians.

Yeah... I am sure someone like you would know a lot about ''fyromians'' :laugh:

RussiaPrussia
01-22-2013, 12:54 AM
obviously bulgarians are slavic othodox but they arent really pro russia (you helped hitler) thats why they cant be serbs, and to turks they are very neutral. So they have more like a romanian mind set.

Lemon Kush
01-22-2013, 12:57 AM
Serbs have more Dinarids than us. While both Greeks and us have our fair share of East Meds.

Gospodine
01-22-2013, 10:53 AM
I voted for Serbs because i feel most connected to them from the nations who are listed above. We speak almost the same language, we both are Orthodox, we ahve similar cuisine and culture overall...

This sounds incredibly weird coming from you.

And no, you don't "almost speak" the same language. You guys sound unintelligible to most Serbo-Croat speakers unless they're Torlaks from Southern Serbia.

Just because you understand Serbs doesn't mean they understand you.

shaliza
01-22-2013, 11:03 AM
The poll is about physical resemblence, or overall resemblance (culture, politics included?)

If physical, then Romanians, followed by Serbs and Greeks.

If overall, then Serbs, followed by Romanians and Greeks.

Turks are absolutely unnecessary in this poll, I'd rather vote Germans than Turks if those were the two options.

Archduke
01-22-2013, 11:10 AM
This sounds incredibly weird coming from you

Why?

And no, you don't "almost speak" the same language. You guys sound unintelligible to most Serbo-Croat speakers unless they're Torlaks from Southern Serbia.

Yes but non-Slavic speakers can't say the difference between Bulgarian and Serbian.

Serbian tourists here don't have problems understanding local people.

Archduke
01-22-2013, 11:15 AM
And lol

Muslims voting for Turks. :lol:

shaliza
01-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Archduke, do you think Bulgarians from the coast are similar to Greeks physically and mentally?

Lemon Kush
01-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Archduke, do you think Bulgarians from the coast are similar to Greeks physically and mentally?

Bulgarians can be similar to Northern Greeks, not Greek Islanders though.

Archduke
01-22-2013, 11:29 AM

Yes.

shaliza
01-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Both here and on Anthroscape, extreme Western Bulgarians (around Sofia) and South-Eastern Bulgarians are stereotyped as Northern and Southern Italians respectively :lol:

I mean the differences between them are stereotyped to be as huge.

Lemon Kush
01-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Both here and on Anthroscape, extreme Western Bulgarians (around Sofia) and South-Eastern Bulgarians are stereotyped as Northern and Southern Italians respectively :lol:

I mean the differences between them are stereotyped to be as huge.

Not really that big. There's just more Dinarids in the West and more East Meds in the East.

Lena
01-22-2013, 12:02 PM
This sounds incredibly weird coming from you.

I beg to differ, Gospodine :) I mostly understand Bulgarian, especially in the written form. When Archduke and myself use PMs to communicate, we write in our mother langs most of the times and it's fun, must admit it :D especially when I can't get some word instantly lol

@ topic:
I am thinking Romanians and Serbs, but can't decide.

morski
01-22-2013, 12:08 PM

Especially we in the South have some Greeks who remained after the population exchanges and the more ancient coastal towns have this Greek vibe about them. The Bulgarian refugees who settled and colonized the coast were mainly East Thracians and Aegean Macedonians.

Gospodine
01-22-2013, 12:09 PM
I beg to differ, Gospodine :) I mostly understand Bulgarian, especially in the written form. When Archduke and myself use PMs to communicate, we write in our mother langs most of the times and it's fun, must admit it :D especially when I can't get some word instantly lol

Correct me if I'm wrong but you do speak another Slavic language don't you? Or you have quite a lot of exposure to other South Slavic dialects?

I remember on that "What does Bulgarian sound like?" thread both Rashka and Kvarc agreed they couldn't really get much Bulgarian.

Macedonian (as in the variety spoken in Skopje) is another story, but Eastern Bulgarian I think is pretty distant to most Serbs, wouldn't you agree?

morski
01-22-2013, 12:10 PM

@ topic:
I am thinking Romanians and Serbs, but can't decide.

Gospodine might be right about one thing, though. I believe Bulgarians understand Serbian slightly better than vice versa.

And all other slavic languages for that matter. Must be because of our weird grammar.

morski
01-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Macedonian (as in the variety spoken in Skopje) is another story, but Eastern Bulgarian I think is pretty distant to most Serbs, wouldn't you agree?

North Western

Gr_b0pRr_30

South Eastern, bloke is from Burgas.:D

GIrfCU7KROo

Lena
01-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but you do speak another Slavic language don't you? Or you have quite a lot of exposure to other South Slavic dialects?
True, I speak Russian, but in order to communicate and understand someone it takes more than just a combination of both langs; you must have a good will to make additional effort.

I remember on that "What does Bulgarian sound like?" thread both Rashka and Kvarc agreed they couldn't really get much Bulgarian.
It's on the individual level.

I was talking about my self here :) The only thing which confused me in Bulgaria all the time is nodding for no and shaking head for yes :D

bimo
01-22-2013, 02:01 PM
genetically to southern romanians (also seems they are mostly pontid like bulgarians)
culturally to serbs

well there is some difference between western and eastern bulgarians but those are little difference , and of course western bulgarians are close to eastern bulgarians than serbs just like eastern bulgarians are closer to western bulgarians than greeks or romanians

Twistedmind
01-22-2013, 02:50 PM
I could understand Bulgarian, alosmt entirely. Same goes with Slovenian and Macedonian. But what, Gospodine does not know is how much Serbian TV stations are watched in Bulgaria. And how Serbian and Bosnian turbo-folk is popular there. And, Serbs and Buglarian have lot common things in culture. I know some Bulgarian students in Belgrade.

Lithium
01-22-2013, 04:53 PM
There is no significant difference between Eastern and Western Bulgarians when it comes to phenotypes. I am from Eastern Bulgaria and I look nothing like a Med. or with some Greek vibe. Bulgarians and Greeks can look similar due to shared Thracian and maybe Slavic ancestry (especially in Northern Greece)

Midori
01-22-2013, 04:59 PM
There is no significant difference between Eastern and Western Bulgarians when it comes to phenotypes. I am from Eastern Bulgaria and I look nothing like a Med. or with some Greek vibe. Bulgarians and Greeks can look similar due to shared Thracian and maybe Slavic ancestry (especially in Northern Greece)

When I was in Greece I saw a lot of people that had a similar look to mine.

Not all of them look uber-medish.

Vulcho
01-22-2013, 07:28 PM
I was wondering between Romanians and Serbians, but voted Romanians because I think we have a more similar mentality. I saw one guy on youtube speaking about life in Romania, and it was like I was listening about my own country.

Rastko
01-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Why are people voting for Romanians when they are the lightest people listed above and Bulgarians are famous for being swarthy?

Because Romanians are not so light and Bulgarians are not so dark.

Rastko
01-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Romanians are lighter on average than all of Balkan peninsula.

No,not at all.

At least those from Bucharest area.

archangel
01-22-2013, 09:15 PM
romanians are central euros actually,not southeast euros(balkans) and many look czech or hungarians actually.

Rastko
01-22-2013, 09:22 PM
romanians are central euros actually,not southeast euros(balkans) and many look czech or hungarians actually.

I have seen cca.100 Romanians from Bucharest in my life and met many of them so I base my opinion on that pattern(could be wrong) many of them were even darker than me.At the same summer camp I've seen same number of Ukrainians and they were all very light and Slavic looking.

archangel
01-22-2013, 09:25 PM
they are maybe gypsies one can dark scandavians too you know,Romanians look and have central euro mentality they are not hot blooded like southern(balkans etc..) more cold and logical.

Archduke
01-22-2013, 09:28 PM
I have seen cca.100 Romanians from Bucharest in my life and met many of them so I base my opinion on that pattern(could be wrong) many of them were even darker than me.At the same summer camp I've seen same number of Ukrainians and they were all very light and Slavic looking.

You should know that pure Romanians are rare these days (many are mixed with gypsies unfortunately).

Ethnic Romanians are lighter than Slovenes/Croats on average.

archangel
01-22-2013, 09:32 PM
agreed with archduke

Rastko
01-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Many Romanians declare as Balkan,even music is extremely Turkish influenced for my ears. If I remember correctly ,few years ago on Eurosong Romanian contender sang a song named "Balkan girls".

archangel
01-22-2013, 09:33 PM
actually yeah many of them declare themselves as balkans actually its the Hungarians who got insulted when you call them balkans lol

Alenka
01-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Ethnic Romanians are lighter than Slovenes on average.
That's interesting if true, considering that they cluster more southern than us.

Archduke
01-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Many Romanians declare as Balkan,even music is extremely Turkish influenced for my ears. If I remember correctly ,few years ago on Eurosong Romanian contender sang a song named "Balkan girls".

Only manele is Turkish influenced and that's gypsy music.

Romanians make the best music in the region, even in Europe. You live on the coast, haven't you heard Romanian hits in night clubs?

8bdFrr-H6lk

Rastko
01-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Fun fact is that the lightest Romanian I've met actually has Serbian ancestry. He is Sorabian.

archangel
01-22-2013, 09:37 PM
actually romanians cluster more northeast compared to slovenes,you are southwestern compared to them.

Rastko
01-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Yes I was at Inna's concert,Archduke.

I'm also familiar with Alex Mica and Viki Jagulina.

Alenka
01-22-2013, 09:39 PM
actually romanians cluster more northeast compared to slovenes,you are southwestern compared to them.
Are you sure? From what I've seen, Romanians cluster with Bulgarians (and with Serbs to a lesser extent), while Slovenes with Hungarians and N. Croats.

bimo
01-22-2013, 09:40 PM
southern romanians are on average mostly pontid , they look balkan and overlap mostly with bulgarians

north romanians are mostly gorid and lighter , they start to look more like their northern neighbours , but they still have a good overlap with bulgarians

archangel
01-22-2013, 09:42 PM
nope Hungarians are real central euros both slovenes and romanians are more wog side,but romanians are more central euro than slovenes,slovenes are northenmost of south slavs but still southslavs hence more wog then both romanians and hungarians

simple as that:)

Archduke
01-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Are you sure? From what I've seen, Romanians cluster with Bulgarians (and with Serbs to a lesser extent), while Slovenes with Hungarians and N. Croats.

It depends on which region the samples were taken. Northeastern Romanians and the Romanians from Moldova are extremely Slavic looking and most specimen are blond/blue eyed.

Rastko
01-22-2013, 09:45 PM
For some reason Archangel I doubt you've ever visited mentioned countries.

Insuperable
01-22-2013, 09:45 PM

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Aqn7iMc2P-yQdEItR3hlYzVVSE5yQjBkUzBzT1E5Ymc

You are full of shit. Moldovans are an exception.

archangel
01-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Solin i know what i am talking about bro

Insuperable
01-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Solin i know what i am talking about bro

I have just showed you that 2+2=4 and yet you continue to play it your way as usual - with closed eyes

Alexandros
01-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Macedonians are excluded, because the poll would be useless then. So is the Serbs, Greeks, Romanians or Turks? I m talking about looks and mentality - the combination... Non-bulgarians are invited to vote too.

In language the Serbs, but generally maybe the Romanians.
Language & Religon = Serbs
Religion and ''other things'' = Romanians (?)

I dont know.

Alexandros

Alenka
01-22-2013, 10:17 PM
It depends on which region the samples were taken. Northeastern Romanians and the Romanians from Moldova are extremely Slavic looking and most specimen are blond/blue eyed.
That's not what you said - you said average ethnic Romanians. Moldovans are not average ethnic Romanians.

This study shows them as closer to Ukrainians than to Romanians:
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68919

kvarc
01-22-2013, 10:34 PM
Bulgarins from west Bulgaria, certainly look Serbian the most, as far as I`we seen

Lena
01-22-2013, 10:36 PM
Only manele is Turkish influenced and that's gypsy music.

Romanians make the best music in the region, even in Europe. You live on the coast, haven't you heard Romanian hits in night clubs?

8bdFrr-H6lk

She sings in Greek at first :D title of the song:Se thelo- I want you

True, some songs were/are popular even here, but it's mostly in english lang :noidea:

6S0DWbKjNEQ

p-Z3YrHJ1sU
( ^ over 187 million hits per youtube track lol!)

ECNMavWqifY

Pontios
01-22-2013, 10:39 PM
She sings in Greek at first :D title of the song:Se thelo- I want you

True, some songs were/are popular even here, but it's mostly in english lang :noidea:

Romanians have the best music in Europe, and even in the world in my opinion. I have so many Romanian songs, but of course, they aren't true Romanian songs :lol:. They are all in English like you said. If I have any English song, it is Romanian but out of all the "Romanian" songs I have, only 5 or 6 are in Romanian. :D They are so good at music though! Inna, Alexandra Stan, my favorites :D.

HrbHjsQC2zA
q3NwJF28wjU

Archduke
01-23-2013, 10:05 AM
That's not what you said - you said average ethnic Romanians. Moldovans are not average ethnic Romanians.

The average Romanian look includes the looks of Romanians from all over the country. Romania is very big country, thus phenotypes vary a lot.

If the samples are from Southern Romania then it is logical that they will overlap more with either Serbians and Bulgarians than Moldovans. If the samples are from Northeastern Romania do you think that then they will overlap with us? I think no.

Archduke
01-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Bulgarins from west Bulgaria, certainly look Serbian the most, as far as I`we seen

Like you know how Bulgarians look like.

Inferior complexity toward Bulgarians is obvious in almost every post of yours.

Lemon Kush
01-23-2013, 10:24 AM
I think alot of people that don't like us also voted Romanian because they associate that country with gypsies and think we're swarthy like them.

Hayalet
01-23-2013, 11:19 AM
I know a way to find out.

1. http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab329/786512/lo12/01/79479fe9.jpg

A) http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab329/786512/lo12/01/c689a56d.jpg B) http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab329/786512/lo12/01/b933b65d.jpg C) http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab329/786512/lo12/01/1ef32523.jpg D) http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab329/786512/lo12/01/5e451127.jpg

2. http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab329/786512/lo12/01/1087f653.jpg

A) http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab329/786512/lo12/01/00de4732.jpg B) http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab329/786512/lo12/01/50effd4c.jpg C) http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab329/786512/lo12/01/3f2adb45.jpg D)http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab329/786512/lo12/01/ac5f746d.jpg

Tell me which faces 1 and 2 look closest to between A-D, and you will have your answer.

kvarc
01-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Like you know how Bulgarians look like.

Inferior complexity toward Bulgarians is obvious in almost every post of yours.

you are projecting yourself onto me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

Archduke
01-23-2013, 01:29 PM
you are projecting yourself onto me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

Yeah right.

Archduke
01-23-2013, 01:36 PM
I know a way to find out.

Tell me which faces 1 and 2 look closest to between A-D, and you will have your answer.

1. B)

2. A)

poiuytrewq0987
01-23-2013, 01:38 PM
The Asen dynasty wasn't called a Bulgarian - Vlach union for no reason after all. Bulgarians and Romanians are essentially the same people. One group speaks Latin, another Slavic and that's the only real difference.

Long live the Asen union-empire!

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp231/innocent456/21stasen_zps31fce02a.png

Hayalet
01-23-2013, 01:42 PM
1. B)

2. A)
Then you think Bulgarian men look like Romanians while Bulgarian women look like Greeks.

Hevo
01-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Bulgaria:
North Greece 23,00%
Macedonia 29,00%
Romania 37,00%
Albania 38,00%
Serbia 38,50%
Greece 39,50%
Central Greece 42,50%
South Greece 47,00%
Aegean Islands 51,00%
Bosnia-Herzegovina 59,50%

http://www.eupedia.com/europe/european_y-dna_haplogroups.shtml

Romania if you exclude North greece and Macedonia.

ioan assen
01-23-2013, 06:08 PM
I think alot of people that don't like us also voted Romanian because they associate that country with gypsies and think we're swarthy like them.
No, I think most are capable to distinguish a gypsy from Bulgarian/Romanian. But other thing we have in common in both countries: the gypsy problem :(

bimo
01-23-2013, 10:05 PM
No, I think most are capable to distinguish a gypsy from Bulgarian/Romanian. But other thing we have in common in both countries: the gypsy problem :(

yeah bulgarian and romania should be unite against this menace

Vojnik
01-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Seeing as though Macedonians are included as Bulgarians in this thread, would it be safe to assume that Macedonians are closer to Serbs rather then Romanians? while north and eastern Bulgarians are closer to Romanians? We don't share a border with them or have any influence from them so I don't see how we could be placed in the same bout as other Bulgarians in regards to genetic closeness to Romanians.

I think Bulgarians are generally closest to Serbs linguistically, culturally and genetically, rather then Romanians and neo-Greeks.

Archduke
01-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Seeing as though Macedonians are included as Bulgarians in this thread, would it be safe to assume that Macedonians are closer to Serbs rather then Romanians? while north and eastern Bulgarians are closer to Romanians? We don't share a border with them or have any influence from them so I don't see how we could be placed in the same bout as other Bulgarians in regards to genetic closeness to Romanians.

Actually, Macedonians are closer to Romanians than to Serbs genetically if this map is really correct :D

http://anthropologynet.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/genetic-geographic-separation-of-european-populations.jpg

And Eastern Bulgarians are closer to Greeks than to Romanians, at least the Southeastern ones (look architecture, food etc.).

Twistedmind
01-25-2013, 10:06 AM
Actually, Macedonians are closer to Romanians than to Serbs genetically if this map is really correct :D

http://anthropologynet.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/genetic-geographic-separation-of-european-populations.jpg

And Eastern Bulgarians are closer to Greeks than to Romanians, at least the Southeastern ones (look architecture, food etc.).
Other maps aresimilar. Only thing strange in map are Slovaks. But it is just one sample (and Map is about peoplefrom some place, not about their ethnicities). But, anyway, culturaly both Macedonians and Bulgarians are closer to Serbs. Map is from 23 and me.

Mans not hot
01-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Slovenians and North Croats resemble Gorals/South East Poles. I don't think Slovenians and North Croats resemble Bulgarians, though.

Archduke
01-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Slovenians and North Croats resemble Gorals/South East Poles. I don't think Slovenians and North Croats resemble Bulgarians, though.

Wrong thread i guess? :rolleyes:

Mans not hot
01-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Aren't Slovenians and Croats Balkans? If so, they don't resemble Bulgarians who are also Balkan people. In fact, Slovenians and Croats resemble Central Europeans pretty much.

Lemon Kush
01-25-2013, 10:20 AM

You'd be surprised due to all the gypsy celebrities seen on TV in Bulgaria like Azis for example and also the large amount of gypsies and Turks there are in Bulgaria. When people overseas see this stuff in the news or read about it they will get a different perception of what Bulgarians really look like. :(

Mans not hot
01-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Oops, look like I misread the poll. Sorry, guys. Who resemble Bulgarians? It's Serbs and Romanians, of course.

shaliza
01-28-2013, 08:17 AM
You'd be surprised due to all the gypsy celebrities seen on TV in Bulgaria like Azis for example and also the large amount of gypsies and Turks there are in Bulgaria. When people overseas see this stuff in the news or read about it they will get a different perception of what Bulgarians really look like. :(

I also see Luis Nani and Mario Ballotelli on the TV but I don't think Portuguese and Italians look like that.

ioan assen
01-28-2013, 06:24 PM
obviously bulgarians are slavic othodox but they arent really pro russia (you helped hitler) thats why they cant be serbs, and to turks they are very neutral. So they have more like a romanian mind set.
I d say we are PRORussian AND PROGerman if thats possible. Historically we have been connected to both Russia and Germany. Bulgarians would always have simpathy for Russians: not only because they were liberators. But also to Germany: of all big powers in EU I think most Bulgarians like Germany the most.
Bulgarians dont dislike Turks, but I think most dislike Turkey as a state, because it tries to interfere in Bulgarian affairs...

Scholarios
01-30-2013, 05:59 AM
From my experience, Romanians as far as physical anthropology.

Mentality? Russians+Greeks? I don't know, they are just Bulgarians.

Crn Volk
01-31-2013, 02:34 AM

Well since non-Bulgarians are allowed to vote, I voted Romanians.

Trun
08-12-2013, 11:37 AM
I exclude Turks totally.

Culturally we are close to all three (Romanians, Serbs and Greeks). Material culture - architecture and so, varies by regions. Non-material culture - dances, music, cuisine, all Balkanites share more or less. Language - it's obvious who are we closest to.

Mentally we are most like Romanians, then Greeks and Serbs last. I say we are least like Serbs mentally out of the three because we aren't as chauvinistic and hot-headed like them, we are calmer with our feet on the ground, like Romanians and Greeks. Serbs are more like Albanians mentally, that's why they love each other a lot.

Phisycally we are most like Romanians, then Serbs and Greeks last.

Overall, I voted Romanians. Serbs come second and Greeks third. I think after these three, we have in common also with Albanians, Croats and Ukrainians.

By the way, why Turks have more votes than Greeks? Are you people trolling :lol:

Archduke
08-12-2013, 02:26 PM
I don't feel related to Romanians at all.

We don't speak similar language, their cuisine is different than ours. I don't know if it is me, but Romanians give me impression of typical Eastern Europeans - cold, frowning, unfriendly. They look like Russians mentally, unlike Bulgarians who are closer to Greeks.

Bulgarians hang out with Serbs, Bosnians and Greeks in the diaspora.

So overall we are like Serbs (only because of language), then Greeks and Romanians last. Probably Northeastern Bulgarians would have more in common with Romanians though.

gregorius
08-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Lol at the ones who voted for turks,

Ofcourse its Serbs than Greeks and Romanians

cally
08-12-2013, 02:47 PM
I voted Romanians for physical resemblance :) Mentality I don't know.

Corvus
08-12-2013, 02:50 PM

We don't speak similar language, their cuisine is different than ours. I don't know if it is me, but Romanians give me impression of typical Eastern Europeans - cold, frowning, unfriendly. They look like Russians mentally, unlike Bulgarians who are closer to Greeks.

Bulgarians hang out with Serbs, Bosnians and Greeks in the diaspora.

So overall we are like Serbs (only because of language), then Greeks and Romanians last. Probably Northeastern Bulgarians would have more in common with Romanians though.

Don`t know about Bulgarians, but mentally Romanians do not act like you would imagine from Southern Europeans.
They are rather cold and reserved esp. to people they do not know. So I agree.

Trun
08-12-2013, 02:50 PM
I don't know if it is me, but Romanians give me impression of typical Eastern Europeans - cold, frowning, unfriendly.

Bulgarians are described in a similar way by Western travellers in the beginning of 20th century :lol:

Romanians and Bulgarians have something else that Serbs and Greeks lack - the ability to work hard.

Don`t know about Bulgarians, but mentally Romanians do not act like you would imagine from Southern Europeans.
They are rather cold and reserved esp. to people they do not know. So I agree.

Southern European mentality is resolving personal matters with a knife, from Bulgarians only Macedonians are known to act this way :D

Archduke
08-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Bulgarians are described in a similar way by Western travellers in the beginning of 20th century :lol:

But we both know that this aint true.

I think we have a lot in common with Orthodox Albanians too.

Trun
08-12-2013, 02:54 PM
I think we have a lot in common with Orthodox Albanians too.

Tosks, yes. They are more laid back and calmer than Ghegs, at least this what I have heard.

Lemon Kush
08-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Hmm.. I should probly change my vote now that I think about. I'm not too familiar with Romanians. I mean linguistically and mentality wise it's definitely gotta be Serbs.

bimo
08-13-2013, 07:39 PM

i agree , i am familiar with romanians (italy is full of them) and in mentality they are quite different than bulgarians

00danieleinad00
08-20-2018, 12:09 AM
as a romanian! yes... :high5