PDA

View Full Version : Slovenia threatened to block Croatia's path to EU accession

Sisak
01-23-2013, 09:16 AM
Slovenia says it will block Croatia’s EU accession on 1 july 2013 unless Croatia stops its lawsuit against Ljubljanska Banka. In July, Slovenian Foreign Minister Karl Erjavec told journalists in Brussels "It would suffice if the Croatian Minister of Finance withdrew the power of attorney for lawsuits against Ljubljanska Banka, which was issued in 1995 and in 2001." Now Slovenia’s parliamentary Foreign Policy committee has said it supports the stance and has said Croatia should not push ahead with EU membership until the issue has been resolved in line with international agreement.
http://www.croatiantimes.com/news/General_News/2012-09-21/29808/Slovenia_threatens_ratification_of_Croatia%27s_EU_ Accession_Treaty
Over 130,000 Croatian citizens claim they had deposited over €160 million in a Slovenian bank – Ljubljanska Banka – before the breakup of Yugoslavia in 1991. But when the Slovenian bank went bankrupt in the 1990s, the money was transferred into the country’s national debt. Zagreb agreed, in 2010, to settle the issue through internationally brokered talks on Yugoslavia’s breakup. But recent negotiations have again failed to provide any major breakthroughs.
The issue of the Croatian government's powers of attorney with which Zagrebacka Banka and Privredna Banka will continue the lawsuit against Ljublanska Banka has nothing to do with the ratification of Croatia's Treaty of Accession with the European Union in the Slovenian Parliament, Croatian Foreign and European Affairs Minister Vesna Pusic said in Brussels.
http://dalje.com/en-croatia/pusic-says-lawsuits-against-ljubljanska-banka-have-nothing-to-do-with-ratif/440558

Slovenia's Foreign Minister Karl Erjavec said on the national television on Tuesday that Slovenia would not ratify Croatia's EU accession treaty until Zagreb withdraws a lawsuit concerning the Ljubljanska Bank.
Asked whether this would deteriorate relations with Croatia and whether another blockade to Croatia's accession to the EU was possible, Erjavec said that Slovenia was not the one that was blocking Croatia but it was Croatia that was doing the blocking.
http://dalje.com/en-world/fm--slovenia-wont-ratify-croatia-eu-treaty-unless-croatia-drops-suit/453416

http://dalje.com/en-world/erjavec-says--slovenia-might-not-ratify-croatia-eu-treaty-by-july-1/452993
Erjavec once again denied that Arhar and Rogic had reached an agreement under which Slovenia would pay Croatia EUR 278.7 million over 30 years for the unpaid foreign currency savings of Croatian citizens.

As for the Croatian citizens who did not transfer their foreign currency savings in Ljubljanska Banka's now defunct Zagreb branch into Croatia's public debt and who continue to demand to be reimbursed by the bank and Slovenia, Erjavec said Slovenia was not to blame for their difficulties.

Some could not transfer their savings into Croatia's public debt because they did not have Croatian citizenship and some did not want to transfer them into Croatian banks, he added.

Alenka
01-23-2013, 09:46 AM
What is the general opinion, are most Croatians pro-EU?

Sisak
01-23-2013, 10:04 AM
What is the general opinion, are most Croatians pro-EU?

General opinion is that your politicians are monkeys.

Alenka
01-23-2013, 10:24 AM
General opinion is that your politicians are monkeys.Most Slovenians agree with that :icon_smile:

Sisak
01-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Media: Will Croatia be more competitive than Slovenia?
http://dalje.com/en-world/media--will-croatia-be-more-competitive-than-slovenia/454760
Once Croatia enters the European Union (EU), it could become more attractive to foreign investors than Slovenia where investments have stagnated over the past few years and totalled EUR 12 billion, which is a fear being recently reported in Slovenia's newspapers.

The theory that Slovenia could lose its attractive role as an investment "bridge" to the countries that emerged in the area of the former Yugoslavia, because it will no longer be the only EU member from the region, and that this role could pass on to Croatia was once again the topic of a commentary in the Finance business magazine.

The Maribor Vecer daily revived the subject on Monday in an article about an investment by the Swedish IKEA chain near Zagreb valued at EUR 100 million and another investment with which Ryanair will set up its 54th European base at the Zadar airport, an investment worth EUR 70 million.

The head of the Slovenian Chamber of Commerce, Samo Hribar Milic, told the daily that "Slovenia is not interesting to foreign investors" and that it was becoming uncompetitive. The daily says that investments were realised faster and more ambitiously in Croatia through incentives and a good level of cooperation between the government and local authorities which is what is sometimes missing in Slovenia.

In the years preceding the crisis, foreigners mostly invested in the finance sector and service industries such as retail, while greenfield investments in production were much fewer.

The incumbent government in Slovenia believes that foreign investments and European funds will be the only accessible investment capital available in the coming years. The government hence intends to reduce corporate taxes and has announced the sale of some state assets such as Telekom Slovenia, Petrol and some banks, in an effort to attract foreign investments.

Another obstacle to investments is the inflexible labour market and high salaries in the country compared to other countries in the region. Janez Jansa's government has said that it intends to deal with this problem by liberalising the labour market.

Permafrost
02-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Yes, we are blocking your EU accession because we want only the best for you, and EU is not the best! Trust us. You are better off now.

This is nothing more than brotherly love toward Croats, so cheer up.

Insuperable
02-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Yes, we are blocking your EU accession because we want only the best for you, and EU is not the best! Trust us. You are better off now.

Hahahahahahha:thumb001:

archangel
02-03-2013, 10:05 PM
eu is a declining union so it would be a wise decision to not enter it

Alenka
02-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Hahahahahahha:thumb001:
I'd laugh too, but I'm busy crying. Seriously, the current situation of the EU is rather tragic, especially for the countries of the periphery (which for sure includes Slovenia, and will include you too, once/if you enter).

Wish I could say we're better of in the EU, but I don't think it's the case.

Žołnir
02-03-2013, 10:18 PM
However most of the world is in economic crisis not just EU and ppl still imigrate in EU not out. :) Personally i believe its good there is crisis. I would make it even worse. I know this is cruel but there are some reasons i think in this way.

As for blocade it was expected. Ofc. each state wants to get upper hand, this is worldwide practice not just here. What will happen personally i don't care. :D

Midori
02-03-2013, 10:28 PM
So Slovenia for Croatia is what Greece is for us (saviours, that is :clapping)

Sisak
02-04-2013, 02:08 AM

Croats will beat you like monkeys. You should affraid us.

Sisak
02-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Evo najnovije vijesti:
Arbitraža u parlamentu
Janšin prigovor stručnjacima: Do otvorenog mora možemo i sada
Prijedlog nije u skladu s odlukom parlamenta iz 2009. da se ne prihvaćaju “hrvatski pokušaji kršenja teritorijalne cjelovitosti Slovenije”
http://www.vecernji.hr/vijesti/jansin-prigovor-strucnjacima-do-otvorenog-mora-mozemo-sada-clanak-505695

derLowe
02-04-2013, 01:36 PM
I am not concerned, Hr will be in the EU.

Austo
02-04-2013, 01:38 PM
You can only hope that you dont come in the EU, nothing good come from it.

Gospodine
02-04-2013, 01:56 PM

Gospodine likes this unexpected outpouring of Yugonostalgia.

Gospodine's agenda is moving forward nicely.

CrystalMaiden
02-04-2013, 02:01 PM

Does Gospodine know that talking about oneself in third person is a sign of a serious mental disorder :D

Gospodine
02-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Does Gospodine know that talking about oneself in third person is a sign of a serious mental disorder :D

Gospodine feels if Yugonostalgia is a mental disorder than he is one sick puppy.

Sisak
02-04-2013, 03:26 PM
You can only hope that you dont come in the EU, nothing good come from it.

Could you explain whay we don't need to join EU? What are bad reasons for thinking that?

Rastko
02-04-2013, 06:13 PM

Take a chill pill.

Geni
02-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Slovenia says it will block Croatia’s EU accession on 1 july 2013 unless Croatia stops its lawsuit against Ljubljanska Banka. In July, Slovenian Foreign Minister Karl Erjavec told journalists in Brussels "It would suffice if the Croatian Minister of Finance withdrew the power of attorney for lawsuits against Ljubljanska Banka, which was issued in 1995 and in 2001." Now Slovenia’s parliamentary Foreign Policy committee has said it supports the stance and has said Croatia should not push ahead with EU membership until the issue has been resolved in line with international agreement.
http://www.croatiantimes.com/news/General_News/2012-09-21/29808/Slovenia_threatens_ratification_of_Croatia%27s_EU_ Accession_Treaty
Over 130,000 Croatian citizens claim they had deposited over €160 million in a Slovenian bank – Ljubljanska Banka – before the breakup of Yugoslavia in 1991. But when the Slovenian bank went bankrupt in the 1990s, the money was transferred into the country’s national debt. Zagreb agreed, in 2010, to settle the issue through internationally brokered talks on Yugoslavia’s breakup. But recent negotiations have again failed to provide any major breakthroughs.
The issue of the Croatian government's powers of attorney with which Zagrebacka Banka and Privredna Banka will continue the lawsuit against Ljublanska Banka has nothing to do with the ratification of Croatia's Treaty of Accession with the European Union in the Slovenian Parliament, Croatian Foreign and European Affairs Minister Vesna Pusic said in Brussels.
http://dalje.com/en-croatia/pusic-says-lawsuits-against-ljubljanska-banka-have-nothing-to-do-with-ratif/440558

Slovenia's Foreign Minister Karl Erjavec said on the national television on Tuesday that Slovenia would not ratify Croatia's EU accession treaty until Zagreb withdraws a lawsuit concerning the Ljubljanska Bank.
Asked whether this would deteriorate relations with Croatia and whether another blockade to Croatia's accession to the EU was possible, Erjavec said that Slovenia was not the one that was blocking Croatia but it was Croatia that was doing the blocking.
http://dalje.com/en-world/fm--slovenia-wont-ratify-croatia-eu-treaty-unless-croatia-drops-suit/453416

http://dalje.com/en-world/erjavec-says--slovenia-might-not-ratify-croatia-eu-treaty-by-july-1/452993
Erjavec once again denied that Arhar and Rogic had reached an agreement under which Slovenia would pay Croatia EUR 278.7 million over 30 years for the unpaid foreign currency savings of Croatian citizens.

As for the Croatian citizens who did not transfer their foreign currency savings in Ljubljanska Banka's now defunct Zagreb branch into Croatia's public debt and who continue to demand to be reimbursed by the bank and Slovenia, Erjavec said Slovenia was not to blame for their difficulties.

Some could not transfer their savings into Croatia's public debt because they did not have Croatian citizenship and some did not want to transfer them into Croatian banks, he added.

Who said that Sllovenia is not a Ballkan country ?????:rolleyes:

Permafrost
02-04-2013, 07:44 PM

I very affraid of yus :(

I like the way you interpreted my words :D

But no, I was not thinking about ječa narodov when typing my post; afaik some time ago a Slovenian journalist was interviewed in Croatia about the latter's accession into NATO, and he said he opposed it because it would damage the country on the long run (Slovenia for example had to make a lot of military expenses being a NATO member).

So you see, this is how Slovenes work, it's written in our very own genetic code to love others and be altruistic. :thumb001:

We understand that among all south Slavic nations we are the ones who are most gifted with wisdom and foresight, and therefore it is our holy duty to guide our little brothers along the right path. It is a tedious task at times, but alas such is the burden we must bear.

Sisak
02-05-2013, 07:32 AM

But no, I was not thinking about ječa narodov when typing my post; afaik some time ago a Slovenian journalist was interviewed in Croatia about the latter's accession into NATO, and he said he opposed it because it would damage the country on the long run (Slovenia for example had to make a lot of military expenses being a NATO member).

So you see, this is how Slovenes work, it's written in our very own genetic code to love others and be altruistic. :thumb001:

We understand that among all south Slavic nations we are the ones who are most gifted with wisdom and foresight, and therefore it is our holy duty to guide our little brothers along the right path. It is a tedious task at times, but alas such is the burden we must bear.

Filosophical mind of Slovenian people doesn't have sence. Who are you and what means your philosophy? Can you explain to me what are you thinking with this?

derLowe
02-05-2013, 07:40 AM

Dam you are full of shit, although the comment you were answering was not much better.

Sisak
04-14-2013, 04:42 PM
The situation became more complex when the dispute nearly derailed Croatia's application to join NATO. It escalated further with Slovenia's blockade of Croatia's EU accession from December 2008 until September–October 2009, when Slovenia (a European Union member state) blocked the negotiation progress of Croatia (an EU candidate state).
In Stockholm on 4 November 2009 an arbitration agreement between Croatia and Slovenia was finally signed by the EU President and both countries' prime ministers, and a subsequent referendum in Slovenia authorized the use of binding arbitration.

Croatia and Slovenia have been unable to agree on their land and sea border since becoming independent states in the early 1990s. The dispute centres on ownership of Piran Bay in the north Adriatic Sea and Slovenia's access to international waters.

An arbitration agreement was finally agreed in the second half of 2009 by then Croatian and Slovenian prime ministers Jadranka Kosor and Borut Pahor. Slovenia had blocked Croatia's EU negotiations for more than a year before the deal was signed.

The two leaders agreed to allow an arbitration panel rule on the case, and accept whatever judgement the panel reached, without the possibility of appeal.

The arbitration proceedings are expected to last for several years and cost some ten million euros, which will be paid equally by Croatia and Slovenia.

Sisak
04-14-2013, 05:20 PM
WikiLeaks: Hrvatska je za arbitražu napravila teške ustupke
http://www.novilist.hr/Vijesti/Svijet/WikiLeaks-Hrvatska-je-za-arbitrazu-napravila-teske-ustupke

Čak 48 bilježaka američkih diplomata u kojima je spomenuta Slovenija tiču se slovensko-hrvatskih odnosa i procesa koji je pridonio sklapanju arbitražnog sporazuma,

LJUBLJANA – Faksimil američke diplomatske bilješke, koju je u srijedu, pozivajući se na WikiLeaks, objavilo ljubljansko »Delo«, spominje da je hrvatska vlada lani učinila ustupak kako bi sklopila arbitražni sporazum i od Slovenije dobila deblokadu svojih pristupnih pregovora.

»Da bi zaključila arbitražni sporazum sa Slovenijom, Hrvatska je napravila ustupke koji za nju nisu bili laki«, jedna je od rečenica iz lanjske diplomatske bilješke koju je potpisao tadašnji američki veleposlanik u Hrvatskoj James Foley

Foleyjeva bilješka pisana je neposredno nakon što su potkraj prošle godine u Stockholmu, nakon bilateralnih pregovora i uz posredovanje Švedske i SAD-a, premijeri Jadranka Kosor i Borut Pahor potpisali arbitražni sporazum i tako odlučili da se granični prijepor riješi pred arbitražnim sudom kad Hrvatska potpiše pristupni sporazum s Europskom unijom.

Slovenski mediji ocjenjuju da će objava bilješke u stanovitu smislu pomoći premijeru Borutu Pahoru kojega oporba, a osobito prijašnji premijer Janez Janša koji ju vodi, stalno optužuje da od Hrvatske za deblokadu nije dobio nikakve koncesije i da je arbitražni sporazum za Sloveniju slab jer joj ne jamči teritorijalni izlaz na otvoreno more.

Kako je, komentirajući objavu Foleyjeve bilješke, u srijedu za tiskovnu agenciju STA izjavio glasnogovornik slovenskog ministarstva vanjskih poslova Milan Balažic, Slovenija je približno obaviještena o broju američkih bilježaka o slovensko-hrvatskim odnosima kojima raspolaže WikiLeaks, a još ih nije objavio, iako slovenski diplomati sa svojim američkim kolegama o samu sadržaju tih bilježaka nisu izravno razgovarali.

»Više je takvih diplomatskih bilježaka iz vremena vlade Janeza Janše i u njima je mnogo oštrih ocjena jer se Janšina vlada nije bavila odnosima s Hrvatskom, dok su ocjene iz vremena Pahorove vlade naklonjenije, odnosno pozitivnije jer je ta vlada pregovorima došla do arbitražnog sporazuma i tako riješila granično pitanje sa susjednom državom«, rekao je Balažic.

Slovenski mediji u srijedu su objavili podatak po kojemu se od navodno 836 američkih diplomatskih bilježaka, kojih se dokopao WikiLeaks, i u kojima se spominje Slovenija, 608 odnosi na vrijeme Janšine vladavine, a ostale na razdoblje Pahorove vladavine.

Najviše bilježaka koje su američki diplomati poslali iz Ljubljane odnosi se na politička i gospodarska pitanja, a neka i na pitanja vojne suradnje.

Slovensko-hrvatske odnose u zanemarivu smislu spominju danas objavljena bilješka iz »Dela« te diplomatska bilješka koja je na početku afere zbog WikiLeaksa i u Sloveniji izazvala najviše zanimanja. U objema od spomenutih bilježaka zapravo se usput spominju veliki napori američke administracije da se poboljšaju slovensko-hrvatski odnosi i stanje u cijeloj regiji na njezinu putu prema euroatlantskim integracijama.