PDA

View Full Version : This is what happens when a twenty-year old country searching for its identity

Szegedist
01-23-2013, 04:01 PM
"Slovakia - a small country with great musical tradition," was the title of the classical music event organized by the Slovak Embassy in Athens at the 20th anniversary of the founding of the Slovakian state. So far so good, however the funny thing about the event was that several Hungarian composers like Béla Bartók and Ferenc Liszt have been presented to Greek audiences as Slovakian composers. In addition, the organizers of the event said that Brahms' Hungarian Dances were mistakenly called Hungarian because the musical piece is closer to gypsy tradition than Hungarian culture.

Hungarian Ambassador to Athens, Eszter Sándorfi notified Hungarian foreign ministry officials including Foreign Secretary Zsolt Németh and Deputy-Secretary Gergely Prőhle about the scandal. In a letter sent to the press, the ambassador complaining about Slovakian practices of appropriating Hungarian artists and musicians and presenting them as Slovakian even if these artists spent only a few days in Pozsony as transit travelers.

At the concert in Athens, Hungarian composer Béla Bartók was introduced as the greatest Slovakian collector of folk music. In the case of Ferenc Liszt, the announcer was more careful, he only mentioned that the composer might have Slovakian family links. When announced the musical piece of Brahms' Hungarian Dances the announcer remarked that the piece was mistakenly called Hungarian because the composition is closer to gypsy music then Hungarian culture.

When index.hu approached the Slovak Embassy in Athens requesting an explanation, it was told that the Slovakian ambassador has never said anything like that, then Slovakian officials added "It is not in our interest to comment on information received from unauthorized sources”. Later, the Slovakian embassy sent an email to the news-portal stating that no audio or video recording was made about the alleged incident.

"The Slovak conduct reveals the frustration of a twenty-year-old state looking for its identity,”. “One would expect that the Slovakian state respects internationally recognized Hungarian composers like Béla Bartók and Ferenc Liszt" writes Hungarian Ambassador to Athens, Eszter Sándorfi.

The case is all the more remarkable because these sorts of incidents are recurring phenomena in Slovakian official or semi-official conducts; a similar incident happened last year when during a musical event Slovakian announcers introduced a number of Hungarian composers as Slovakian.

The Hungarian ambassador believes that by using these sorts of events Slovakia builds a false picture about itself. The ambassador suggesting that Hungarian foreign ministry officials should discuss the issue with their Slovakian colleagues as it is not in the interest of the two countries to poison bilateral relations with these sorts of fraudulent events.

The ambassador said: "I do not know who leaked my remarks to the press, but if it has already happened, it is important to note that it was not the Slovak Embassy staff that presented the Hungarian composers as Slovakian, but a member of the Slovakian orchestra.”

http://www.hungarianambiance.com/2013/01/this-is-what-happens-when-twenty-year.html

:rofl:

morski
01-23-2013, 04:04 PM
http://www.hungarianambiance.com/2013/01/this-is-what-happens-when-twenty-year.html

:rofl:

Reminds me of a certain Balkan country located to the South West of Bulgaria.:laugh:

Graus
01-23-2013, 04:13 PM
I would consider Franz Lis(z)t more Austrian than Hungarian.

kabeiros
01-23-2013, 04:20 PM
I would consider Franz Lis(z)t more Austrian than Hungarian. Yes, but how could they present Bela Bartok as Slovakian? :confused: His name screams Hungarian/Magyar from a mile away, he actually was of noble Hungarian origin...

On the other hand Fyromians claim Alexander the Great, so anything is possible :D

Dengizik
01-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Yes, but how could they present Bela Bartok as Slovakian? :confused: His name screams Hungarian/Magyar from a mile away, he actually was of noble Hungarian origin...

On the other hand Fyromians claim Alexander the Great, so anything is possible :D

Look who is talking. A Ftrogian(former turkish republic of greece). :)))))

Žołnir
01-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Nevertheles List sounds Slavic and it means leaf. :p :D :D

Graus
01-23-2013, 04:43 PM

Could also be German and mean "ruse" or a few other things.

Not that it matters, since no one denies his father was Hungarian. Maybe except for Slovakians.

Arrow Cross
01-24-2013, 09:28 AM

Three can play that game. It's actually "flour" in Hungarian. :p

heygum
01-24-2013, 10:25 AM
In English List means list.

Windischer
01-24-2013, 10:39 AM
yea theres funny fashion in slovakia, almost everybody who had something to do with territory of present day slovakia is supposed to be slovak :D
well some moron in greece or where says something and of course, all kind of chauvinists, nationalists and other retards immediately join the fray :picard2:
their personal honor is at stake :D

i think liszt and bartók were above these childish things like "am hungarian ubermensch", "am slovak, nobodys better than me", "ich bin herrenrasse" and other things typical for ppl with IQ=(wooden toy)/(wooden toy)-120

Zmey Gorynych
01-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Actually it's quite funny and ironic when this sort of criticism comes from a 1000-year old country/nation which can't decide what they are, europeans or turanics.

I would consider Franz Lis(z)t more Austrian than Hungarian.
therefore automatically a german, also his mothers maiden name was Lager :)

Lena
01-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Yes, but how could they present Bela Bartok as Slovakian? :confused: His name screams Hungarian/Magyar from a mile away, he actually was of noble Hungarian origin...

In Hungary names are not reliable source of someones' ethnic origin. You should look at his mother bio.

Loki
01-24-2013, 10:59 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Liszt#Early_life

The earliest known ancestor of Liszt is his great-grandfather, Sebastian List, who was one of the thousands of German migrant serfs locally migrating within the Austrian Empire's territories (around the area now constituting Lower Austria and Hungary) in the first half of the 18th century. Sebastian was a cotter ("Söllner"), said to be born in Rajka (Ragendorf), Moson County, Kingdom of Hungary, around 1703, where he died on January 7, 1793.

Arrow Cross
01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
He was an ethnic German alright (although he identified with Hungary). In fact, most Hungarian cities after the depopulation of the Ottoman Wars were populated by German-speaking immigrants from all over the Empire, laying the new foundation of our industry.

It's not like we had a choice.

Cern
01-28-2013, 07:12 PM
He subrace type dinarid. (balkan origin)

http://i46.tinypic.com/350q9mp.jpg

Pure ja
02-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Three can play that game. It's actually "flour" in Hungarian. :p

'liist' in estonian means 'slat' or 'lath'.

'Iga mees jäägu oma liistude juurde' (every man should stay true to his own tools/slaths/laths)

Corvus
02-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Hungary seems to be surrounded by archenemies.
The only neighbour country where Hungarians have a good relationship is
surprise surprise Austria :)

Cern
02-10-2013, 06:52 PM
'liist' in estonian means 'slat' or 'lath'.

'Iga mees jäägu oma liistude juurde' (every man should stay true to his own tools/slaths/laths)

Liszt in Hungarian: flour

Corvus
02-10-2013, 06:54 PM
In Hungary names are not reliable source of someones' ethnic origin. You should look at his mother bio.

Names are never a reliable source nowhere as they just reflect the paternal ancestry. I am always amused when some members believe one person is of a particular type just because of a surname. One ambigious classifier on this side is always doing that.

He subrace type dinarid. (balkan origin)

http://i46.tinypic.com/350q9mp.jpg

Austrian Dinarid yes