PDA

View Full Version : New Survey: 2 out of 3 Turks against EU membership

MfA_
01-24-2013, 06:31 PM
http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/_np/0661/19000661.jpg

The EDAM survey that questioned 1509 persons in 18 provinces showed that 2 out of 3 Turks where against EU membership..

In favors for the EU by parties
AKP 34%
CHP 30%
MHP 15%
BDP 88%

http://translate.google.com/translate?langpair=auto|en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hurriyet.com.tr%2Fekonomi%2F224 16701.asp

Graus
01-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Nice to know but also kinda irrelevant, since you wont be allowed to join anyway.

ioan assen
01-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Its better for everyone. There are too many negatives for EU and for Turkey with this enlargement.

Onur
01-24-2013, 06:40 PM
BDP voters, the Kurds who supports PKK strongly favors EU membership. In fact, the ethnic kurdish party supporters are the only group among all the political groups in Turkey who still favors EU.

Actually i want EU membership for one and only thing; If we would be EU member, all these Kurds would immediately migrate to there and Turkey would be like heaven on earth for the Turks!

If that ever happens, i can even start a donation campaign for giving free plane tickets to EU for the kurds.

Permafrost
01-24-2013, 06:46 PM
LOL why also not make a survey in the MENA countries while we're at it?

ioan assen
01-24-2013, 06:48 PM
I doubt it would be only Kurds leaving. Are the 6 mil. Turks in Germany Kurds?

Onur
01-24-2013, 06:53 PM
These people gone to Germany in 1950-1960s. Today`s Turkey is so different from 1950s Turkey.

Also, there are 2,5 million people in Germany and yes, half of them are Kurds.

legolasbozo
01-24-2013, 06:54 PM

We are not talking about 1950's Turkey, trust me kurds and except few ignorant peasents, Most of Turks just want free visa option to travel freely, if EU allowed us that, then almost all Turks support to draw back Eu accession. And i think this is very hypocritical, Eu countries can travel to Turkey freely but we can't. Whatever, you guys allready think "we are not coming your country, it's greek, thus european land go back to Central Asia!!" argument, this discussion is meaningless.

Permafrost
01-24-2013, 07:01 PM
And i think this is very hypocritical, Eu countries can travel to Turkey freely but we can't.

Oh but my dear Turk, that's not hypocritical at all! When European turists go to Turkey, they actually spend money there and bring wealth; when a Turk goes to Europe it's mainly to drain German welfare and build mosques in Düsseldorf.

legolasbozo
01-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Oh but my dear Turk, that's not hypocritical at all! When European turists go to Turkey, they actually spend money there and bring wealth; when a Turk goes to Europe it's mainly to drain German welfare and build mosques in Düsseldorf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_the_number_of_US_dollar_billi onaires

and trust me, there are great number of middle, upper class peoples in Turkey much more than many european country. According to you we are not sending tourist, just immigrants. As i said, it is pointless to discuss,

It is easier to break an atom than a prejudice -Albert Einstein.

ioan assen
01-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Today`s Turkey is so different from 1950s Turkey.
Guys, I m glad Turkey is doing good. I do... However you must stay grounded. I ve been to Tukey last in 2010 and its nowhere near Western Europe. Believe me there would be lots and lots of Turkish immigrants. Maybe your industry is doing better but unfortunately I dont see anything going to the common citizens. Yes there are rich bisnessmen from Turkey and I m sure they are getting richer, but I dont think the standart of life of the ordinary Turks would improve drastically in the next 50 years. I always give the examle with Greece: their economy may look bad on paper, but the ordinary Greeks live times better than any Balkan nation and I think thats really whats important. Not some numbers who make the already rich Turks richer...

Bananapeel
01-24-2013, 07:28 PM
is this because Turkey is becoming more Islamic? why the sudden change?

you guys must realize that EU membership will ensure the progress of Turkey and it will eventually become a much better and secular place.
Don't give up on European values and culture

Kemalisté
01-24-2013, 07:42 PM

you guys must realize that EU membership will ensure the progress of Turkey and it will eventually become a much better and secular place.

5 years ago the support was around %70s. It's not like the people turned out to be islamist in 5 years. Why don't you ask the European Union itself ? you lose your ambition after a while.

Hoca
01-24-2013, 07:44 PM
EU messed up. EU lost Turkey to the east. Some people say that when people look back why EU failed they will say that the biggest mistake EU made is not letting Turkey in. It is actually best choice for Turkey not to join EU. Over 10 years EU will join Turkey.

ioan assen
01-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Over 10 years EU will join Turkey.
:confused:its always nice to see Turks comparing themselves to the Germans... Its kind of surreal: I mean how can this be said by a well travelled Turks? Is the manipulation THAT big in Turkey???????????????????????:confused:

Virtuous
01-24-2013, 07:54 PM

They never had any to start with.

legolasbozo
01-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Guys, I m glad Turkey is doing good. I do... However you must stay grounded. I ve been to Tukey last in 2010 and its nowhere near Western Europe. Believe me there would be lots and lots of Turkish immigrants. Maybe your industry is doing better but unfortunately I dont see anything going to the common citizens. Yes there are rich bisnessmen from Turkey and I m sure they are getting richer, but I dont think the standart of life of the ordinary Turks would improve drastically in the next 50 years. I always give the examle with Greece: their economy may look bad on paper, but the ordinary Greeks live times better than any Balkan nation and I think thats really whats important. Not some numbers who make the already rich Turks richer...

First of all not only economy, but also life standarts increased in Turkey. There were slums like Brazilian favelas, but it has been changed because of urban transformation. Roads, external loans, rate of interest, people's purchasing power, inflation too many things has been changed drastically in Turkey, trust me. Find some data, and check it. İ guess even many kurds want Eu for the possibility to take their otonomy not much for economic reasons.

in 2001 economic crysis We were IMF’s biggest borrower after tapping it for about $26 billion of loans - but we will pay off its remaining $4.9 billion debt to the Fund by 2013. i don't want to talk with economic terms, but trust me that's not like what you think.

About immigration, assumably, if we would talk about not EU but something like US or Canada accession your arguments would be valid. Because US still attracted ordinary peoples, but for EU no, i'm not saying this for being smarty pants.

Queen B
01-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Well, I m not suprised. Its the only thing they can say to save some pride after the rejection by EU and Europeans..
Reminds me some couples break up
''We are braking up''
''Fine, I didn't like you anyway''.
:lol:

Anyway, its a win-win situation for all. Both Turks and Europeans.

Austo
01-24-2013, 07:58 PM
I dont think that they ever would get the membership, even if they wanted.

Bananapeel
01-24-2013, 08:02 PM
5 years ago the support was around %70s. It's not like the people turned out to be islamist in 5 years. Why don't you ask the European Union itself ? you lose your ambition after a while.

I think Turkishs youth in specific should understand that such processes such as EU integration and membership take time, and that you should maintain a stable and stead position in politics. it's not right to switch opinion within 5 years from pro Euro to pro Islam only because the process has taken a bit longer time than it should.

I have friends who are of Turkish origins, and they are still keen to be part of the European family as much as Europe wants to have Turkey as a member.

more patience and less pride is the best formula to make this dream come true

ioan assen
01-24-2013, 08:10 PM
First of all not only economy, but also life standarts increased in Turkey. There were slums like Brazilian favelas, but it has been changed because of urban transformation. Roads, external loans, rate of interest, people's purchasing power, inflation too many things has been changed drastically in Turkey, trust me. Find some data, and check it. İ guess even many kurds want Eu for the possibility to take their otonomy not much for economic reasons.

in 2001 economic crysis We were IMF’s biggest borrower after tapping it for about $26 billion of loans - but we will pay off its remaining $4.9 billion debt to the Fund by 2013. i don't want to talk with economic terms, but trust me that's not like what you think.

About immigration, assumably, if we would talk about not EU but something like US or Canada accession your arguments would be valid. Because US still attracted ordinary peoples, but for EU no, i'm not saying this for being smarty pants.
Hmmm. I ve been couple of times in Tukey: personal impressions: ordinary Turks live much worse than Western Europe BUT the state is rich - the infrastructure and the public schools are in a very good condition. The state is very militarized and nationalized: there are lots of barns and the Turkish flag is flowing every 5 meters.
If we compare it to Greece, the other Balkan state that saved itself from comunism: the Greeks live very well, uncomparably well to other Balkanians, there are aestethics in their way of life rarely seen and on the Balkans and deffinately missing in Turkey. Greeks, even in this crisis, live times better than Turks eventhough both didnt get through communism. Thats the reality guys. As I said there are rich Turks and they are getting richer...

alfieb
01-24-2013, 08:15 PM
LOL why also not make a survey in the MENA countries while we're at it?

Because they are not located in Europe, while East Thrace is?

legolasbozo
01-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Well, I m not suprised. Its the only thing they can say to save some pride after the rejection by EU and Europeans..
Reminds me some couples break up
''We are braking up''
''Fine, I didn't like you anyway''.
:lol:

First of all, we have never had a relationship with Eu. Not so many people knows that Turkey is the second country after Greece to appeal to be a member of EEC in 1959? EEC then was just a union which had only six countries in but it was open-minded to expand. So Turkey as a European state applied and surprisingly EEC had approved.

So after four years, in 1963 signed the Agreement Creating An Association Between The Republic of Turkey and the European Economic Community, also known as the Ankara Agreement. And do you know what this agreement says? It just says in the future, after both sides successfully pass the periods which prepare Turkey to standards of EEC, Turkey will be a member of the union. So… The agreement still continues and it never falls to disuse because it says it would go on until the aim is done. And it never can quash arbitrary; both sides have to make a decision together.

Now it’s 2012 and 49 years has passed and Greece became a member in 1981, Spain and Portugal in 1986 and even Cyprus became a member in 2004, ex commies romania bulgary too but Turkey is still only a candidate… Why? just because “IT IS TURKEY”.

so i guess it's a bit awkward to talk about "relationship", it is just one side love, but in Turkey we say "Fazla naz aşık usandırır" "Too much coquetry would make a lover get bored" so i think that's the point. i admire Antoni Gaudí and his works in Barcelona, but till get rid off this visa issues i promised to myself not go anywhere in Europe, i think that's my right to see that places, but i have to handle with paperworks, i have to pay, i have to go to ambassy and i have to persuade officers for i'm not an mmigrant", please this is so humiliating. so i prefer to go Usa, i can spend my money there. Victorian and mediterranean architecture also fascinating :D and i decided to go to Japan this summer, they don't want visas:D

Kemalisté
01-24-2013, 08:23 PM
I think Turkishs youth in specific should understand that such processes such as EU integration and membership take time, and that you should maintain a stable and stead position in politics. it's not right to switch opinion within 5 years from pro Euro to pro Islam only because the process has taken a bit longer time than it should.

I have friends who are of Turkish origins, and they are still keen to be part of the European family as much as Europe wants to have Turkey as a member.

There is no a switch like that. The people just do not want to join it, does not mean they are pro-Islam or something. The ideology does not change so easily.

Hoca
01-24-2013, 08:23 PM
:confused:its always nice to see Turks comparing themselves to the Germans... Its kind of surreal: I mean how can this be said by a well travelled Turks? Is the manipulation THAT big in Turkey???????????????????????:confused:

Open your TV in Bulgaria and see. All the programs are already in Turkish.

morski
01-24-2013, 08:26 PM

Nice try, Turk.:thumb001: But it's not happening.:nono:

ioan assen
01-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Open your TV in Bulgaria and see. All the programs are already in Turkish.
They are not in Turkish, but there are countless Turkish soups, which I never ever watch. What can I say: BTV (the channel that has Turkish soups non stop already nicknamed Bosfor TV) should be forbidden!

legolasbozo
01-24-2013, 08:28 PM
edit:

Lala6
01-24-2013, 08:29 PM
That good i`d say if a vote was do on Euros most would vote the same way.I do not think they are ever really going to join anyway.If they were going to join i think i would have happened already.

Hoca
01-24-2013, 08:46 PM
They are not in Turkish, but there are countless Turkish soups, which I never ever watch. What can I say: BTV (the channel that has Turkish soups non stop already nicknamed Bosfor TV) should be forbidden!
Turkish shows have the highest rating in the Balkans, including Bulgaria.

Kemalisté
01-24-2013, 09:01 PM

Lol u mad ?

archangel
01-24-2013, 09:07 PM
well i dont want to join neither to eu,its a dying group even britain is trying to escape it lol

Onur
01-25-2013, 12:39 AM
I share your thoughts about the income inequality of people but you have to learn something;
Greece never earned that quality of life herself. Greece never had any industry nor a proper agriculture. Their economy is entirely based on tourism sector which is comparable to Croatia`s tourism. Their so-called richness came from insane amount of loans. They took about 200 billions of Euros free loans after 1990 and 150+ billions of debt for the last 4 years. Their richness was fake. If you give 350 billions of Euros to Vietnam, then they become richer than Monaco but would it be real? Does it continue forever?

EU does not equals to "European family"! and Turks doesn't wanna join to the so-called European family either. Why we should let ourselves to get adopted by some crooks in Brussels? Our historical background doesn't allow such thing to be realized. Turkey is not some small ex-commie country, ready to be subjugated all the time. We are different.

The days when Turks migrating to Germany to clean German people`s dump is over. It was so 1950s. You can get Bulgarians, Greeks or Romanians for that job from now on.

Graus
01-25-2013, 12:57 AM
EU does not equals to "European family"! and Turks doesn't wanna join to the so-called European family either. Why we should let ourselves to get adopted by some crooks in Brussels? Our historical background doesn't allow such thing to be realized. Turkey is not some small ex-commie country, ready to be subjugated all the time. We are different.

The days when Turks migrating to Germany to clean German people`s dump is over. It was so 1950s. You can get Bulgarians, Greeks or Romanians for that job from now on.

You certainly applied for quite some time for something you didnt want in the first place....
But dont worry she is trolling, nobody really wants you to join the Union.

You are right about the last part tho, nowadays the Turks dont bother with work anymore but go straight for the welfare.

Vasconcelos
01-25-2013, 01:06 AM
well i dont want to join neither to eu,its a dying group even britain is trying to escape it lol

It's certainly not a dying group, if GB leaves it'd even make integration of other countries easier because Britain blocks so much stuff.

Siberian Cold Breeze
01-25-2013, 06:09 AM
Anti EU is not = Pro Islamist
It is Nationalists who strongly oppose to Nato and EU

Actually Pro Islamist AKP comes second after Kurdish BDP
That means Islamist voters and Kurdish voters are more willing to join EU..

In favors for the EU by parties
AKP 34% Muslim democrat
CHP 30% Nationalist left
MHP 15% Nationalist right
BDP 88% Kurdish

I hope it explains.

Queen B
01-25-2013, 07:52 AM
I share your thoughts about the income inequality of people but you have to learn something;
Greece never earned that quality of life herself. Greece never had any industry nor a proper agriculture. Their economy is entirely based on tourism sector which is comparable to Croatia`s tourism. Their so-called richness came from insane amount of loans. They took about 200 billions of Euros free loans after 1990 and 150+ billions of debt for the last 4 years. Their richness was fake. If you give 350 billions of Euros to Vietnam, then they become richer than Monaco but would it be real? Does it continue forever?

First of all, is amazing how it turned to Greece again :lol:
You can't just stop it, can you? :rotfl:

Anyway, you are wrong, again.
Greece DID have industry up until the middle of 80s, where the debt started, but Greece doesn't have anymore.

RussiaPrussia
01-25-2013, 09:21 AM
good for you

Onur
01-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Anyway, you are wrong, again.
Greece DID have industry up until the middle of 80s, where the debt started, but Greece doesn't have anymore.
Then tell us what was the Greek industry in 1980s and how it`s been disappeared afterwards? Greece only had mediocre tourism and some shipping facilities by sea.

I read that more than half of Greek seaports and shipping companies has been bought by a Turkish businessman anyways;
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/dogus-buys-controlling-stake-in-greek-marina.aspx?pageID=238&nID=38741&NewsCatID=345

Thats the "size" of your so-called industry, which can be purchased by a single Turkish businessman.

Queen B
01-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Then tell us what was the Greek industry in 1980s and how it`s been disappeared afterwards? Greece only had mediocre tourism and some shipping facilities by sea.

Shipping,Textiles,Cement(still is),Steel,Aluminium,Cables,etc
Now we hardly have most of them.It dissapeared after entering EU. Problems with export, and gain. It wasn't give any gain, so they were closed one after another.

Mediorce tourism? Except Austria, which other country has such high tourism compare to the size of the country and the population?
:picard1:

Loki
01-25-2013, 06:01 PM
BDP voters, the Kurds who supports PKK strongly favors EU membership. In fact, the ethnic kurdish party supporters are the only group among all the political groups in Turkey who still favors EU.

Actually i want EU membership for one and only thing; If we would be EU member, all these Kurds would immediately migrate to there and Turkey would be like heaven on earth for the Turks!

If that ever happens, i can even start a donation campaign for giving free plane tickets to EU for the kurds.

Hey the Kurds are nice and friendly people - I know several in London :)

Onur
01-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Mediorce tourism? Except Austria, which other country has such high tourism compare to the size of the country and the population?
:picard1:
I don't know if you noticed but Greek tourism is going downward spiral since you joined to the Eurozone. The tourism income of tiny Croatia will surpass Greece this year or the next.

Queen B
01-25-2013, 11:21 PM
I don't know if you noticed but Greek tourism is going downward spiral since you joined to the Eurozone. The tourism income of tiny Croatia will surpass Greece this year or the next.

:picard2::picard2::picard2::picard2:
What else am I going to read? :picard1::picard1::picard1:

Some random figures since Greece entered Eurozone in 2001
(The ones I m missing are those that are not recorded in World Tourism Organisation rankings)

Greece's international arrivals:

1999:12.2
2000:13.1
2002:14,1
2003:13,9
2005: 14,7
2006: 16
2007:16,1
2008:15,9
2009: 14,9
2010: 15
2011 : 16,4

Greece's internation receipts (in US billion):
Cr = Croatia (because you mentioned it)

1999: 8.8 bil.
2000: 9.2
2002: 9.7
2003: 10.7 (Cr. 6.3)
2004: 12.8 (Cr. 7)
2005 : 13.7 (Cr 7.4)
2006: 14,2 (Cr 7.9)
2007 : 15,5 (Cr 9.2)
2008 : 17.1 (Cr 10.9)
2009 : 14.5 (Cr. 8.8)
2010 : 12,7 (Cr. 8.2)
2011: 14,6 (Cr 9.1)

Downward spiral, indeed :picard1:

Onur
01-26-2013, 12:11 AM
Croatia probably surpassed 10-11 million in 2012 and Greece probably dropped to 13-12 billion, maybe dropped even more than that. So, like i said, tiny Croatia with it`s small geographical size will surpass Greece in tourism in 2013 or 2014.

Queen B
01-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Croatia probably surpassed 10-11 million in 2012 and Greece probably dropped to 13-12 billion, maybe dropped even more than that. So, like i said, tiny Croatia with it`s small geographical size will surpass Greece in tourism in 2013 or 2014.
From the way Croatia is progressing, that's not going to happen. Not anytime soon anyway.
You know math, make the rate difference from year to year from each country, and you'll get the numbers. You can also make a graph since 2001.
Or you can go directly to world tourism barometer reports each year, and see them for yourself.
And no, we haven't dropped, no matter how you wish that .
Crisis, have boosted our tourism, actually. We have almost +10% each year. :cool:

denz
01-26-2013, 03:17 PM

Dont worry. They are doing it everywhere. You are not so special :bored:

Philo
01-26-2013, 03:21 PM
if the people are so anti-eu than why does the governemnt try to get inside so hard?

Su
01-26-2013, 05:44 PM

I would love to donate also some money if something like this ever would happen :laugh: