PDA

View Full Version : Family ties

alfieb
01-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Repost of a thread I created on another forum in 2011.

You often hear expressions like "brothers" to refer to an ethnic group you feel a kinship with. Let's explore that here.

1. What is your ethnicity?
2. What groups do you feel comfortable referring to as your brothers and sisters?
3. What groups do you feel comfortable referring to as your cousins/kin?

For me,

1. Sicilianu
2. Maltesi, Calabbŕsi, Greci (Maltese, Calabrese, Greeks) [in order of closeness]
3. Taliani, Sardi, Corsi, Spagnoli, Cipriuti, Arbanisi, Rumeni, Ĺbbanisi, Assiriani, Armeniani, Tuniśni, Abbràici, Turchi (Italians, Sardinians, Corsicans, Spaniards, Cypriots, Albanians, Romanians, Lebanese, Assyrians, Armenians, Tunisians, Jews, Turks) [in order of closeness]

Slycooper
01-24-2013, 08:49 PM
1. Portuguese, Ojibwe, French
2. Spanish, French
3. Italian

Virtuous
01-24-2013, 08:58 PM
To whom which we are closest Genetically: Sicilians, Italians, Lebanese.
To whom we are closest Culturally: Sicilians, S.Italians.

Sikeliot
01-24-2013, 09:03 PM
For my Sicilian side since it is the one I usually identify with:

Brother and sister groups: Maltese, other southern Italians, and Greeks.

Cousin groups: All other Italians, Sardinians, Cypriots, Lebanese, Assyrians, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanians, Albanians, Turks, Tunisians, and Algerians.

Baldur
01-24-2013, 09:06 PM
1. swedish
2. none
3. none

Damiăo de Góis
01-24-2013, 09:16 PM
1. Portuguese
2. none
3. Spanish

Sikeliot
01-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Oh and in "cousin groups", Jews.

Smaug
01-24-2013, 09:23 PM
1)

Well, as most of White New Worlders I am a Eurpean mutt, but I am mostly Scottish+Venetian, so if I have to pick a specific group, it would be that.

2)

-English, Welsh, Irish, French, Italians, Iberians, Dutch, Belgians, Baltics, Scandinavians
-Other White Brazilians
-Other White New Worlders (America, Oceania, Africa)

3)

-Other Caucasian groups of Eurasia
-Other Brazilians
-Othe Latin Americans in general

AlexandraD
01-24-2013, 09:26 PM
1. dutch, german, hungarian and japanese

2. austrians, maybe? japanese people discriminate against other east asians (and them in return) so no on there :P

3. no idea :( i feel mostly tied to europe in general, so ...

Hurrem sultana
01-24-2013, 09:46 PM
1. dutch, german, hungarian and japanese

2. austrians, maybe? japanese people discriminate against other east asians (and them in return) so no on there :P

3. no idea :( i feel mostly tied to europe in general, so ...

are you japanese?

Mraz
01-24-2013, 09:50 PM
1.Bosniak
2.Turks
3.Azeris, Iranians, Pakistanis, Malays, Indonesians.

Linet
01-24-2013, 09:53 PM
1.Greece
2. Serbia
3. None
...If i think of anyone else....i will add :chin:
Brother means not the same, but something close so is not enough for some categories :no: .
Cyprus to me is Greece and those of Greek blood are my kin :grouphug: no matter if they are South Italians or in Ukraine...so i still count them as Greece :rose:

Hurrem sultana
1.Bosniak
2.Turks
3.Pomaks,Torbesh,Chechen,Circassian,Albanians

evon
1 Western Norwegian.

2 Non-Western Norwegians,South and Lule Saami, Icelanders, Faeroese.

3 Swedes, North Saami and to a Lesser degree Danes and Finnish people.

I guess thats about it...But of course we also have historical ties to Scotland, England, and Germany.

AlexandraD
01-24-2013, 09:57 PM
are you japanese?

yes :) great grandma was from japan :P

alfieb
01-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Danes on the same terms as Finns? You were part of Denmark for like 500 years. :eek:

evon
01-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Danes on the same terms as Finns? You were part of Denmark for like 500 years. :eek:

We were ruled from Denmark for about 400 years, damn colonial pigs took away our freedom bit by bit, in the end we were ruled as a colonial province...

Fins and Norwegians have a shared history of being oppressed by the regional super powers, and also by being ruled by Sweden, also many Fins emigrated to Norway during various times in history, both in South and Northern Norway...lastly we gave them allot of aid during their war with Russia, our shared neighbourhood bully :)

Hurrem sultana
01-25-2013, 02:01 AM
We were ruled from Denmark for about 400 years, damn colonial pigs took away our freedom bit by bit, in the end we were ruled as a colonial province...

Fins and Norwegians have a shared history of being oppressed by the regional super powers, and also by being ruled by Sweden, also many Fins emigrated to Norway during various times in history, both in South and Northern Norway...lastly we gave them allot of aid during their war with Russia, our shared neighbourhood bully :)

so this is the reason you guys hate Sweden ? you feel inferior compared to them

Methmatician
01-25-2013, 02:34 AM
1. Bosniaks
2. Bosniaks
3. Bosniaks

SkyBurn
01-25-2013, 02:37 AM
1) Ashkenazi Jewish
2) Ummmmm
3) Aborigines?

aimar
01-25-2013, 04:01 AM
portuguese
none
none

BiałaZemsta
01-25-2013, 04:09 AM
Polish, Ukrainian
All West and East Slavs
South Slavs (except for Bosnia)

alfieb
01-25-2013, 04:49 AM
Polish, Ukrainian
All West and East Slavs
South Slavs (except for Bosnia)

What about Bosnian Catholics?

evon
01-25-2013, 09:50 AM
so this is the reason you guys hate Sweden ? you feel inferior compared to them

No, we dont have any feelings of inferiority (We have had Swedes and Danes immigrate to Norway for a long time now, so why should we feel inferior to them?), and we dont hate them, those feelings belong to history, same with Denmark of course, but we recognise their colonialism (Denmark was by far the biggest of the two with South Asian, African and Caribbean possessions).

alfieb
01-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Worse than that, they had Estonia as a colony. :puke

I believe that's the origin of the Dannebrog, but I could be wrong.

Lithium
01-25-2013, 09:54 AM
I am Bulgarian, I feel related mostly to South Slavs, then East and West Slavs. I am somewhat related to the rest of Europeans (especially other peoples from the Balkans)

Albion
01-25-2013, 01:41 PM

You often hear expressions like "brothers" to refer to an ethnic group you feel a kinship with. Let's explore that here.

2. What groups do you feel comfortable referring to as your brothers and sisters?

1. English
2. British Islanders (English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Cornish, Northern Irish, Manx) + Colonial British (Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians and Americans of British descent or at least mostly).
3. Germanics + North French.

Queen B
01-25-2013, 02:25 PM
1.Greek
2.Italians, Cypriots
3.None

Twistedmind
01-25-2013, 02:58 PM
What about Bosnian Catholics?

They are Croats (15%). Bosnian Orthodox are Serbs (36%)

Szegedist
01-25-2013, 03:02 PM

1) Hungarian
2) Poles
3) Turanic people (Turks, Uyghurs, etc, however these have a possibility to move to number 2, depending on how the future turns out)

Jackson
01-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Similar to what Albion said.

1) English
2) British Isles & Colonial English speaking world (USA, parts of Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc)
3) Other Germanic speaking countries with whom we have history. The Dutch are probably the closest of these though. It's funny as well that during the holiday period the entirety of the Netherlands must empty itself and go to mountainous or hilly areas in Europe and the British Isles. Literally during these times, as soon as you start getting to elevated areas you start seeing lots of Dutch cars. xD

In reality some of these cross the borders between the two, and i'd also include a fourth category as well and include France, although it could partially be included in the third category - Brittany and Normandy in particular.

bladieblah
01-25-2013, 03:13 PM
This is a very interesting question.

1. I am a quarter Swedish, a quarter Spanish, a quarter Moroccan (but Berber Moroccan) and a quarter north Indian (but the Guyanese type who moved to the west Indies) so I am extremely mixed.
2. I was born in Sweden but raised in England, so I can still speak Swedish fluently without an accent and I am very close to my grandmother (who is a Swede) and to the Swedish part of my family. In terms of other Swedish people I am not related to, I don't really feel that close to them to be honest, I like them but we don't look anything alike so I wouldn't really view them as my 'brothers'. I might get stick for this but I will be honest, I do feel an affinity if I hear a person has Moroccan/middle eastern/Berber in them too, even though I don't have contact with that side of my family. And I think they probably feel a bit of an affinity towards me too because we are of a similar background. As for the Indian/Guyanese side, when I hear someone is Indian/Guyanese I feel like I can relate to them too, though I do not look Indian.
3. Maybe my Spanish side, because my father is the one who is half Spanish, so I don't have contact with him or my family, so I don't know that much about that part of my heritage or which part of Spain his mother originates from.

Lemon Kush
01-26-2013, 01:12 AM
1. Bulgarian
2. Americans
3. Other South Slavs (Croats, Serbs, Macedonians, Slovenians, etc....)

Vesuvian Sky
01-26-2013, 01:26 AM
1. Magna-Grecian (s. Italian)
2. Greeks, and all other Italians and associated Islands, Maltese
3. Macedonians (they have Hellenic background and more of a Balkan-Med. category...I share genetic traits with them and felt very comfortable when I visited there)

Albion
01-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Similar to what Albion said.

1) English
2) British Isles & Colonial English speaking world (USA, parts of Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc)
3) Other Germanic speaking countries with whom we have history. The Dutch are probably the closest of these though. It's funny as well that during the holiday period the entirety of the Netherlands must empty itself and go to mountainous or hilly areas in Europe and the British Isles. Literally during these times, as soon as you start getting to elevated areas you start seeing lots of Dutch cars. xD

In reality some of these cross the borders between the two, and i'd also include a fourth category as well and include France, although it could partially be included in the third category - Brittany and Normandy in particular.

There's a bit of a Dutch minority around here. They seem to be retired Dutch with quite a bit of money (Middle class-ish) and they buy up nice rural properties, usually something mock-Tudor. Maybe house prices are more expensive in NL. I've found them to be very nice though.

Dengizik
01-26-2013, 09:11 AM
1) Turk
2) other Turkic peoples
3) Hungarians, Bosniaks

Azalea
01-26-2013, 09:50 AM
1. Turks (and the rest of the Turkics)
2. Bosniaks
3. West Asian peoples

Tarja
01-29-2013, 08:24 PM
1. Scottish.
2. Other Brits.
3. Colonial English speakers, Germanics. Countries we have significant history with.

Veneda
01-29-2013, 08:32 PM
1. Polish
2. All Slavs + Hungarians
3. All Slavs

Corvus
01-29-2013, 08:41 PM
1. Lower Austrians+Carinthians
2. other Austrians+Germans+Czechs
3. other Slavs except Russians+Hungarians+Italians+Romanians (yes honestly)

Szegedist
01-29-2013, 09:08 PM
1. Lower Austrians+Carinthians
2. other Austrians+Germans+Czechs
3. other Slavs except Russians+Hungarians+Italians+Romanians (yes honestly)

I don't understand what you mean by no 3, other Slavs except Russians+Hungarians+Italians+Romanians? Since when are Hungarians, Romanians and Italians Slavs?

alfieb
01-29-2013, 09:09 PM
I don't understand what you mean by no 3, other Slavs except Russians+Hungarians+Italians+Romanians? Since when are Hungarians, Romanians and Italians Slavs?

You misread.

"Other Slavs except Russians" is one part. The rest unrelated.

Corvus
01-29-2013, 09:10 PM

They are all seperate ofc, but we share a common history and have similar mentality, I would divide further, but only 3 categories are possible so this remains so.
+=and

Il Principe
01-29-2013, 09:22 PM
My "family ties", on a genetic level, would probably be:

1) Swedes and other Scandinavians
2) Germanics as a whole
3) Western Europeans

Partizan
01-29-2013, 09:24 PM
1.Turkish from Anatolia, Southern Caucasus and Balkans.

2.Other Turkic people, Azerbaijanis, Kazakhs, Uzbeks, Kyrgyzes, Tatars, Turkmens, Chuvashes, Gagauzes etc.

3.Hungarians.

Pallantides
01-29-2013, 09:33 PM
1. Eastern Norwegian
2. rest of the Norwegians and Western/Central Swedes
3. South Swedes, North Swedes, Danes, Icelanders, Finns and Saami

Accountant
01-29-2013, 09:35 PM
1. Finn (1 German grandparent)
2. Estonians (the retarded little brother who gets constantly bullied :D)
3. Swedes, Norwegians, Danes, Germans, Saami people

evon
01-29-2013, 09:52 PM
1. Eastern Norwegian

You feel that close to Sweden :eek: Must be an Eastern thing, i usually kid by calling you guys back-up swedes though...

Mans not hot
01-29-2013, 09:54 PM
1. Polish
2. Belarusians and Ukrainians
3. Slovaks, Czechs and East Germans

Twistedmind
01-29-2013, 09:55 PM
1) Serbs
2) Other Slavs and other Orthodox peoples. (cough Bulgarians included, they are both :D)
3) Ehm none. :D

Sultan Suleiman
01-29-2013, 10:15 PM
1.Bosniak
2.Other south Slavic tribes
3.Greater Slavic family.

Illancha
01-29-2013, 10:21 PM
I am Chechen.

I think it's fair to say that every Chechen will agree that Ingush, Kisti and Batsi are our brothers. We refer to this group as Waynakh (often transliterated as Vainakh; literally means 'our people'). Ethnically speaking we are descended from the same ancestors, languages are mutually intelligible (with a trained ear) and almost non-existent differences culturally.

As for cousins, I feel comfortable calling Circassians, Georgians and some Dagestanis my cousins. Although there is no ethnic connection between us.

Going further still, I would call Ossetians, Azeris and Armenians my second cousins, perhaps even some Cossacks. Same again, there is no ethnic connection here either and I do admit that's really stretching it.

Anglojew
01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
1. My English-side

2. Dutch, Danish

3. Germans, French, Irish, Scottish, Swedes, Norwegians, Bretons

1. My Jewish-side

2. Kurds, Samaritans, Palestinians

3. Greeks, Lebanese, Syrians, Italians

Albion
01-29-2013, 11:03 PM
1. Eastern Norwegian

Why divide the Swedish? Are the southerners really that different from northerners? It looks quite homogeneous to an outsider like me. What are you basing it on? Svear Vs Geats + Danes or the Swedish colonization of "Lappland" and ensuing "pioneer spirit"?

Jackson
01-29-2013, 11:12 PM
Why divide the Swedish? Are the southerners really that different from northerners? It looks quite homogeneous to an outsider like me. What are you basing it on? Svear Vs Geats + Danes or the Swedish colonization of "Lappland" and ensuing "pioneer spirit"?

Genetically the southerners and northerners seem somewhat distinct from each other.

Apologies for answering as it is not addressed at me, impulse.

alfieb
01-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Tell a Scanian that he's no different from someone from Bothnia.

Pallantides
01-30-2013, 12:13 AM
Culturally us East Norwegians are closer to West/Central Swedes than other regions, we have had much contact with them through out history, from border shifting to trade and immigration.

Hurrem sultana
01-30-2013, 04:47 AM

I dont see anything like that,i live in Scania.Maybe among older people,but young people are just "swedes"

Sikeliot
01-30-2013, 04:48 AM
From my Portuguese side I feel close to all Portuguese speakers, the Spanish, and the rest of Atlantic Europe.

alfieb
01-30-2013, 05:17 AM
I dont see anything like that,i live in Scania.Maybe among older people,but young people are just "swedes"

Really? On ABF, I remember there talking to a few Scanians who said that a lot of people our age still identify as Danes or Scanians alone and do not see themselves as Swedes.

Hurrem sultana
01-30-2013, 05:19 AM
Really? On ABF, I remember there talking to a few Scanians who said that a lot of people our age still identify as Danes or Scanians alone and do not see themselves as Swedes.

Never met anyone that identified as danish

scanian you can be together with swedish

Pallantides
01-30-2013, 05:19 AM
Maybe the regionalism is still stronger here in Norway compared to Sweden.

bella1407
01-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Russian,Polish,Ukrainian
East Slavs and Serbs
Balkan people(except Muslims)

Baldur
01-30-2013, 07:04 AM
Never met anyone that identified as danish

scanian you can be together with swedish

I know a few scanians who rather would be under danish rule then swedish.
Also many swedes calls us danish or north german specially during sportmatches where you more often see the scanian flag then the swedish one down here. But ofcourse its not the same regional patriotism as seen in Catalonya in Spain.
http://www.mff.se/Aktuellt/Nyheter/~/media/MFF_2012/GAMLA_FORMATET/Bilder%202009/Matchbilder/2009-07-20_MFF-HBK/Klacken.ashx?w=518&h=260&as=1

alfieb
01-30-2013, 07:05 AM
But Barça fans in Spain who wave the flag of Catalunya are likely secessionist. What are your brethren?

Baldur
01-30-2013, 07:08 AM
But Barça fans in Spain who wave the flag of Catalunya are likely secessionist. What are your brethren?

I didnt mean the fans of Barca i meant the people of Catalonya many of them actually do want to become a real independent country, in Scania almost nobody wants that because there is no reason for it as we are as swedish as every else in Sweden. It's just something to be extra proud about that we are not like everyone else.

amerinese
01-30-2013, 07:09 AM
1. White Americans from The South
2. Other Anglo-Americans
3. Asians (East, South, or Central) who speak English

Albion
01-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Genetically the southerners and northerners seem somewhat distinct from each other.

Apologies for answering as it is not addressed at me, impulse.

In real life people don't divide themselves based on genetics.

That's because Scania was originally Danish.

Ants
01-30-2013, 07:09 PM
1. Estonian

2. Baltic Finns

3. -

Jackson
01-30-2013, 08:00 PM
In real life people don't divide themselves based on genetics.

Yes i know. It just seemed like relevant information that happened to be in the front of my mind, so i posted it. :P

StonyArabia
02-05-2013, 11:08 PM

Circassian/Syrian Desert Bedouin.

Chechens, Bosnians, Tatars, and Anatolian Turks, as well most of Southern Semitic people

North Africans

Mazik
02-10-2013, 10:33 PM
1. North Swede with some Saami.

2. South/Central Swedes, Norwegians.
3. Finns, Danes.

Tico4
02-14-2013, 12:38 PM
1. Costs Rican/Cuban
2. Puerto Rican, Venezuelan
3. All other Spanish speaking countries