PDA

View Full Version : Hungarian language: origin

Loki
01-26-2013, 07:14 PM
6vq3wOgDb2s

I found it interesting. The only facepalm part goes to mentioning of the Bosnian pyramids :picard2:

Corvus
01-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Loki I can recognise that you develop a big affinity for Hungary :)

Loki
01-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Loki I can recognise that you develop a big affinity for Hungary :)

Not necessarily, I'm just investigating some stuff for curiosity purposes :)

Vesuvian Sky
01-27-2013, 11:19 PM
So Paleolithic origins of Hungarian stemming from the time of Gravettian.

I came across these guys sometime ago. Grover Krantz (American Big-footologist...need I say more) had a similar whacked out explanation for the Hungarian language and its origins.

Szegedist
05-23-2013, 06:57 PM
[Excerpt]
by János Kalmár

1480 - MARCIO GALOTTI, a humanist in the court of King Mátyás Corvinus stated with amazement: “The Hungarians may be aristocrats or peasants but they all use the same language.”

1609 - POLANUS AMANDUS, the humanist writer who lived in Basle, when Albert Molnár’s “Hungarian Grammar” was published, wrote: “There were some who doubted that the unbridled Hungarian language had any rules but you, in your outstanding work, have really disproved them.”

1790 - JOHANN GOTTFRIED HERDER acknowledged that the Hungarian language is a great treasure: „Is there anything more dear to the people than their own language? Their whole way of thinking lies in their language, their past and their history, their beliefs, and the basis of their whole life, their whole heart and soul.”

1817 - CARDINAL GIUSEPPE MEZZOFANTI, who understood 58 languages and spoke, among many of them, four dialects of Hungarian, greeted the Hungarian bailiff, József, in Bologna with a very spirited Hungarian speech. It was he who said to the Czech linguist, ÁGOSTON FRANKL: “Do you know which language is equal to Latin and Greek in its structure and rhythmic harmony? It is the Hungarian language. I am familiar with the new Hungarian poets, whose verses are completely mesmerizing. Let us watch the future, for the poetic genius will have a sudden upswing, which will prove my statement to be true. It seem as if the Hungarians themselves do not realize what a treasure is hidden in their language.” Cardinal Mezzofanti was made an honorary member of the Hungarian Academy of Science in 1832.

1820 - JAKOB GRIMM established the rules for sound progression and was the first to write a German Grammar. He stated that the Hungarian language is logical, has a perfect structure and surpasses every other language.

1830 - SIR JOHN BOWRING, English traveler and writer, visited Hungary and published an anthology in English of the work of Hungarian writers and poets. „The Hungarian language goes far back. It developed in a very peculiar manner and its structure reaches back to times when most of the now spoken European languages did not even exist. It is a language which developed steadily and firmly in itself, and in which there are logic and mathematics with the adaptability and malleability of strength and chords. The Englishman should be proud that his language indicates an epic of human history. One can show forth its origin; and all layers can be distinguished in it, which gathered together during contacts with different nations. Whereas the Hungarian language is like a rubble-stone, consisting of only one piece, on which the storms of time left not a scratch. It's not a calendar that adjusts to the changes of the ages. It needs no one, it doesn't borrow, does no huckstering, and doesn't give or take from anyone. This language is the oldest and most glorious monument of national sovereignty and mental independence. What scholars cannot solve, they ignore. In philology it's the same way as in archeology. The floors of the old Egyptian temples, which were made out of only one rock, can't be explained. No one knows where they came from, or from which mountain the wondrous mass was taken. How they were transported and lifted to the top of the temples. The genuineness of the Hungarian language is a phenomenon much more wondrous than this.”

1840 - WILHELM SCHOTT, an outstanding German scientist: “ In the Hungarian language there is a fresh, childish, natural view and it cannot but be suspected that there is the possibility of development hidden in it like a bud. It contains many beautiful soft consonants and its vowels are more clearly pronounced than in German. It can be used for short statements and also for powerful oratory, in short, every type of prose. It is built on matching vowel sounds, pleasing rhymes, and its richness and resounding tones are well suited for poetry. This is demonstrated in every branch of poetry.”

1840 - N. ERBESBERG, a world famous professor from Vienna: “The structure of the Hungarian language is such that it appears that linguists could have created it with the purpose of incorporating in it every rule, conciseness, melody and clarity and besides all this it avoided any commonness, difficulty in pronunciation and irregularities.”

1848 - N. SIMPSON: “Letters from the Banks of the Danube.” In this series of articles, he wrote about the Hungarian language in the exciting days of March, (during the 1848 Hungarian Freedom Fight against the Hapsburgs). “The Hungarian language is very poetic, rich and spirited, . . . it is full of enthusiasm and strength and is suited to all kinds of poetical work. It is strong and yet gentle and very pleasing in sound. It is melodic and its expression is clear.”

1927 - JULES ROMAINS, one of the greatest poets of modern France, when he visited Hungary, stated: “Because I did not understand the Hungarian language, I tried with all my strength to feel it. I felt that it was full of power; I know no other language that appears so masculine. It is a passionate masculine language.”

1932 - EDGAR CLEMENT, German linguist, was so impressed by the musicality of the language that he learned Hungarian. According to him, the Hungarian language had a magical strength, which reflected a deep spirituality and only the highest ranking languages, especially the old classical languages could match up to it.

Géza
05-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Finn
Hungarian
English

Talvi
Tél
Winter

Käsi
Kéz
Hand

Éj
Night

And the list goes on...

In the other hand our language is full of Slavic, Turkic, Germanic, Romance words too, but the base and the grammar are Uralic obiviously. However ethnically the Uralic blood is marginally nowadays, but it is sensible too. This later causes some endemic Hungarian face is closer to the Russians thatn to the Polish or Romanians.

Proto-Shaman
10-31-2014, 01:20 PM
Hungarian is basically the Euroasiatic mother language within the Nostratic language unity. This is what I have thought 5 years ago and this is how I still think now.

Proto-Shaman
10-31-2014, 01:24 PM
6vq3wOgDb2s

I found it interesting. The only facepalm part goes to mentioning of the Bosnian pyramids :picard2:
Also read this thread: http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?144484-The-Myth-of-the-Uralic-language-family-(Hungarian-reconsidered)