PDA

View Full Version : last names

Aunt Hilda
01-28-2013, 07:14 AM
where would you think these last names are from If you didn't know the ethnic background of the person

Sudeikis
Birbalaite
Genovaite
Pilypaitis
Levinis
Mileskaite
Petrosius
Lotuzys
Dacka

all of them are lithaunian

Methmatician
01-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Some of them look Greek.

Scholarios
01-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Sudeikis is 100% Lithuanian
Lotuzys is also?

Baldur
01-28-2013, 07:27 AM
lithuanians , but then i happen to know how lithuanian lastnames look like too.

Aunt Hilda
01-28-2013, 07:29 AM
Sudeikis is 100% Lithuanian
Lotuzys is also?

yeah, proper spelling would be Lotužys

lithuanians , but then i happen to know how lithuanian lastnames look like too.
you're cheating :p

where would you put them if you didn't know?

bella1407
01-28-2013, 07:29 AM
where would you think these last names are from If you didn't know the ethnic background of the person

Sudeikis
Birbalaite
Genovaite
Pilypaitis
Levinis
Mileskaite
Petrosius
Lotuzys
Dackaall of them are lithaunian

Levinis sounds jewish(Levin,Levinson,Levitin...)

Aunt Hilda
01-28-2013, 07:31 AM
Levinis sounds jewish(Levin,Levinson,Levitin...)

probably, a lithuanian version of a jewish last name

bella1407
01-28-2013, 07:32 AM

Sudeikis
Birbalaite
Genovaite
Pilypaitis
Levinis
Mileskaite
Petrosius
Lotuzys
Dacka

all of them are lithaunian

from Lithuania or Latvia.
Do u lave Lithuanian last name, Migla?

Mistel
01-28-2013, 07:32 AM
The surnames ending in "aite" I would assume are Lithuanian, since I know that is Lithuanian, but maybe I would think Sudeikis and Pilypaitis were Greek. I am not so sure about Lotuzys and Dacka.

bella1407
01-28-2013, 07:33 AM
probably, a lithuanian version of a jewish last name

or not:)
because in Poland they have last name non-jewish Lewandowski

Aunt Hilda
01-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Do u have Lithuanian last name, Migla?

nope

or not:)
because in Poland they have the last name non-jewish Lewandowski

at the end of the day, its the ending that counts

bella1407
01-28-2013, 07:35 AM
The surnames ending in "aite" I would assume are Lithuanian, since I know that is Lithuanian, but maybe I would think Sudeikis and Pilypaitis were Greek. I am not so sure about Lotuzys and Dacka.

"aite" - female
"s"- male (if i am not mistaken :D)

bella1407
01-28-2013, 07:36 AM
nope

good for u, coz it's difficult to pronounce lithuanian last names

Aunt Hilda
01-28-2013, 07:37 AM
"aite" - female
"s"- male (if i am not mistaken :D)
aye,

Lotuzys and Dacka are the most confusing ones, could they fit into belarus?

bella1407
01-28-2013, 07:39 AM
aye,

Lotuzys and Dacka are the most confusing ones, could they fit into belarus?

no.
Lotuzys sounds lithuanian or latvian.
Dacka(i guess its pron. "datska":confused:?) sounds strange..

SkyBurn
01-28-2013, 07:40 AM
There's that actor, Jason Sudeikis, and it says that he's of some Lithuanian descent, so that's a pretty good indicator

Baldur
01-28-2013, 07:40 AM
In Sweden there are 3,717 persons with the lastname Levin and i doubt they all are jewish.

bella1407
01-28-2013, 07:42 AM
In Sweden there are 3,717 persons with the lastname Levin and i doubt they all are jewish.

i know 3 families with lastname Levin - all are jewish.

Aunt Hilda
01-28-2013, 07:45 AM

Levinis is one of my family names, does that mean I could be partly swedish :p

or jewish :p

Baldur
01-28-2013, 07:45 AM

http://sv.geneanet.org/slaktforskning/sv/levin.html

bella1407
01-28-2013, 07:48 AM
http://sv.geneanet.org/slaktforskning/sv/levin.html

jews:p

Linet
01-28-2013, 07:49 AM
I also though Greek :rose: before to read about Lithouanian...

Aunt Hilda
01-28-2013, 07:49 AM
no.
Dacka(i guess its pron. "datska":confused:?) sounds strange..

dacka could be related to Duch an archaic word for german

SkyBurn
01-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Levin is a Jewish surname. So is Levine, and Levkovits, and a lot of names starting with "Lev" (which is actually a hebrew first name, it means heart)

Aunt Hilda
01-28-2013, 07:56 AM
Levin is a Jewish surname. So is Levine, and Levkovits, and a lot of names starting with "Lev" (which is actually a hebrew first name, it means heart)

you literally just made one of my dreams come true

bella1407
01-28-2013, 08:12 AM

I Always Knew It:D

Baldur
01-28-2013, 08:13 AM
The funniest name in Sweden then must be Israelsson...

Aunt Hilda
02-01-2013, 02:27 PM
here is another list, what do you guys think?

Steinis
Grybaitis
Povarpis
Mitulis
Ragauskas
Monividas
Juodis
Korigelis
Krungolcas
Araminas
Rimdzius
Kysgalis
Riauba
Lankielis
Sakalauskas
Landsbergis
Simkus

Twistedmind
02-01-2013, 02:30 PM

Lev is also Russian name, and means Leon. Levković/Levkovič is not derived from Jewish word. It is Slavic surname sometimes used by Jews. :picard1: Levin also could be Russian name, like guy from Anna Karenina.

Aunt Hilda
02-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Lev is also Russian name, and means Leon. Levković/Levkovič is not derived from Jewish word. It is Slavic surname sometimes used by Jews. :picard1: Levin also could be Russian name, like guy from Anna Karenina.

considering that its spread out in the area, I think we can safely asume that we don't know the origin

Twistedmind
02-01-2013, 02:39 PM
considering that its spread out in the area, I think we can safely asume that we don't know the origin

What you mean?
Levković is Serbian/Croatian surname, also encountered among Ruthenian nobility, hence Jews picked it up. Levin is Russian surname. -suffixes are typically Slavic, much more Slavs had such surnames. I dont know origin of Levine, but so far Slavic surnames are concerned, I am absolutley sure in my words.

Aunt Hilda
02-01-2013, 02:42 PM
What you mean?
Levković is Serbian/Croatian surname, also encountered among Ruthenian nobility, hence Jews picked it up. Levin is Russian surname. -suffixes are typically Slavic, much more Slavs had such surnames. I dont know origin of Levine, but so far Slavic surnames are concerned, I am absolutley sure in my words.

swedes have that name as well.....:picard2:

Twistedmind
02-01-2013, 02:42 PM
swedes have that name as well.....:picard2:

Off different origin :picard2::picard1:

Русская фамилия Левин образована от отчества из крестильного имени Лев и его производных форм. Это имя, пусть и не часто, применялось в крестьянской среде, давалось священниками. Левин, Левков и другие фамилии от различных кратких форм этого имени имени. Левищев от формы Левище, подобные формы в старину имени уменьшительное значение. Левичев от левич — «сын Льва», а левичев получается его внук. Фамилии Львин, Львовский и определённое число фамилий Львов созданы искусственно в семинарской среде и восходят не к христианскому личному имени Лев, а непосредственно к нарицательному лев (в христианской религии лев — символ святого Марка Евангелиста), а названия животных, не известных на Руси, не употреблялись в качестве прозвищ
Russian family Levin was forme from Patronim of baptizmal name Lev and its pett forms. That name, altough rare in peasant circles, was used for priests. Levin, Levkov and other surnames from various forms of name. Levischev from form Levische, similar forms in ancient times had diminutive conotation. Levičev is from Levich, son of Lev, was givven to Levs grandson. Surnames L'vin annd L'vovskiy and definite form L'vov were artificialy created among seminarians andwere not deducted from chrisitan name, but from name of specie itelf (Symbol of St Mark the Evangelist).

Aunt Hilda
02-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Off different origin :picard2::picard1:
levinson Doesn't sound that foreign to sweden, then again I'm not swedish so what do i know

Русская фамилия Левин образована от отчества из крестильного имени Лев и его производных форм. Это имя, пусть и не часто, применялось в крестьянской среде, давалось священниками. Левин, Левков и другие фамилии от различных кратких форм этого имени имени. Левищев от формы Левище, подобные формы в старину имени уменьшительное значение. Левичев от левич — «сын Льва», а левичев получается его внук. Фамилии Львин, Львовский и определённое число фамилий Львов созданы искусственно в семинарской среде и восходят не к христианскому личному имени Лев, а непосредственно к нарицательному лев (в христианской религии лев — символ святого Марка Евангелиста), а названия животных, не известных на Руси, не употреблялись в качестве прозвищ. Лев. Левченко — украинская фамилия. Впрочем, некоторые фамилии могут быть связаны со словом левый, левша
I have no clue what any of that means :picard2::picard1:

anyway

so about these names

Steinis
Grybaitis
Povarpis
Mitulis
Ragauskas
Monividas
Juodis
Korigelis
Krungolcas
Araminas
Rimdzius
Kysgalis
Riauba
Lankielis
Sakalauskas
Landsbergis
Simkus

what do you think?

Twistedmind
02-01-2013, 02:51 PM
I have no clue what any of that means :picard2::picard1:

I translated it ;)

bella1407
02-01-2013, 09:23 PM

The guy from Anna Karenina is Лёвин( letter ё doesn't exist in English.).
Yeah, Lev means leon. "Leo" Tolstoy is actually Lev Tolstoy.:D
In Russia Levin is a jewish last name.

bella1407
02-01-2013, 09:24 PM
anyway

so about these names

Steinis
Grybaitis
Povarpis
Mitulis
Ragauskas
Monividas
Juodis
Korigelis
Krungolcas
Araminas
Rimdzius
Kysgalis
Riauba
Lankielis
Sakalauskas
Landsbergis
Simkus

what do you think?

"s" and "s" : Latvian or Lithuanian:D

bella1407
02-01-2013, 09:28 PM
What you mean?

Levin =Levine
(like Stalin in fremch is Staline, Lenin- Lenine)

Twistedmind
02-01-2013, 09:33 PM
The guy from Anna Karenina is Лёвин( letter ё doesn't exist in English.).
Yeah, Lev means leon. "Leo" Tolstoy is actually Lev Tolstoy.:D
In Russia Levin is a jewish last name.

Bella, I know Russian and I know for ё/е distinction. :) But in transcription in English it is same. :) Look at text I pasted from Russian wiki. :)

inactive_member
02-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Steinis
Grybaitis
Povarpis
Mitulis
Ragauskas
Monividas
Juodis
Korigelis
Krungolcas
Araminas
Rimdzius
Kysgalis
Riauba
Lankielis
Sakalauskas
Landsbergis
Simkus

what do you think?

Exotic. :rolleyes:

bella1407
02-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Bella, I know Russian and I know for ё/е distinction. :) But in transcription in English it is same. :) Look at text I pasted from Russian wiki. :)
:picard1:
because "ё" doesn't exist in English! Gorbachev is actually Gorbachёv, Khrushchev -Khrushchёv etc.

Levin and Lёvin Two Completely Different last names!

Twistedmind
02-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Steinis
Grybaitis
Povarpis
Mitulis
Ragauskas
Monividas
Juodis
Korigelis
Krungolcas
Araminas
Rimdzius
Kysgalis
Riauba
Lankielis
Sakalauskas
Landsbergis
Simkus

what do you think?
Some are of German/Swedish origin, some Slavic (Russin, Polish or Ruthenian)
origin.
Sakaluskas - Sokolovski, Ragauskas - Ragovski, Steinis - Stein. Rest are I guess Lithuanian.

bella1407
02-01-2013, 10:10 PM
what do u think about these names ?
Kramnik
Guralnik
Melnik
Lennik

Austo
02-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Kramnik
Guralnik
Melnik
Lennik

1 Polish
2 Hispanic
3 Polish

no idea about the last one

Twistedmind
02-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Kramnik
Guralnik
Melnik
Lennik

All sufixes are Slavic, shame Cail got banned, he would know this better. You are probably aware how much words with ending -nik all of us have. :)

Kramnik
http://www.ufolog.ru/names/order/%D0%9A%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%BC%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA

Melnik (Мельник) is Ukrainian, one of UNA commanders had such name.
In fact I think all are of Ukrainian origin, since Russian families had standardsied endings -ov, -ev, -ovskiy, -in.

bella1407
02-01-2013, 10:27 PM
1 Polish
2 Hispanic
3 Polish

no idea about the last one

the last one is the last name of our(Russia's) first lady.
why hispanic?

Twistedmind
02-01-2013, 10:30 PM
because "ё" doesn't exist in English! Gorbachev is actually Gorbachёv, Khrushchev -Khrushchёv etc.

Levin and Lёvin Two Completely Different last names!

It is about stressing. Most people writtie it as e. Same as with o under stress (o) and without it a. :)

Austo
02-01-2013, 10:31 PM
the last one is the last name of our(Russia's) first lady.
why hispanic?

just hear the sound of it. nothing slavic about it.

I am 100% shure that Guralnik is spanish(hispanic) last name.

Twistedmind
02-01-2013, 10:33 PM
just hear the sound of it. nothing slavic about it.

I am 100% shure that Guralnik is spanish(hispanic) last name.

Nope it is Ukrainian, it means man who makes liquors.

Bela will undesrand this:

Происхождение фамилии Гуральник
Доступные сведения о фамилии Гуральник

Фамилия Гуральник ведет свое начало от прозвища Гуральник. Прозвище Гуральник в переводе с украинского означает «винокур», то есть винодел – человек, изготовляющий спиртные напитки. Таким, образом, фамилия Гуральник представляет собой пример именования по профессии.

Austo
02-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Nope it is Ukrainian, it means man who makes liquors.

:

Source?

Twistedmind
02-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Source?

http://www.ufolog.ru/names/order/%D0%93%D1%83%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D0%B8%D 0%BA

bella1407
02-01-2013, 10:36 PM
just hear the sound of it. nothing slavic about it
agree.

I am 100% shure that[B] Guralnik is spanish(hispanic) last name.

Really?Well Guralnik is last name of my uncle(aunt's husband).He is a jew:D.

Austo
02-01-2013, 10:38 PM
http://www.ufolog.ru/names/order/%D0%93%D1%83%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D0%B8%D 0%BA

This site says something else :

http://worldnames.publicprofiler.org/Default.aspx

bella1407
02-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Twistedmind is right about Melnik:). Melnik (Мельник) is Ukrainian last name means "miller" :). We have Melnikov(-a) in Russia. My best friend's last name is Melnikova.

Veneda
02-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Kramnik
Guralnik
Melnik
Lennik

Kramnik (http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/kramnik.html) - 32 people in Poland have such name, so rather non Polish origin

Guralnik - doesn't exist in Poland, Góralnik (http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/g%25C3%25B3ralnik.html) ('u' and 'ó' sound the same in Polish) - there are only 4 persons, so the name is not Polish

Melnik (http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/melnik.html) or rather in the form Mielnik (http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/mielnik.html) - can be Polish

Lennik - such name does not exist in the register of Polish names

bella1407
02-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Kramnik is also a jewish last name. Famous Russian chessplayer Vladimir Kramnik(jew:))http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Kramnik

Twistedmind
02-01-2013, 10:42 PM
This site says something else :

http://worldnames.publicprofiler.org/Default.aspx

Well, I am sure in Russian, espcially since Gural'nik have meaning in Ukrainian language. :) Root (Gural') possibly could be of non-Slavic origin, but suffix is Slavic, and it is word from one Slavic language. Russian Ashkenazim used mostly Russian names (altough offten verry specific), same like German had German, and Polish ones Polish.

Skomand
02-01-2013, 10:43 PM
There is not just one form of Lithuanian surnames, they are declined!!.

adult male: MISTER RIMKUS

RIMKUS
RIMKAUS
RIMKUI
RIMKų
RIMKUMI
RIMKUJE
RIMKAU

young male: RIMKUS Junior

N. Rimkūnas, Rimkaitis
G. Rimkūno, Rimkaičio
D. Rimkūnui, Rimkaičiui
A. Rimkūną, Rimkaitį
I. Rimkūnu, Rimkaičiu
L. Rimkūne, Rimkaityje
V. Rimkūnai! Rimkaiti!

married woman: MRS RIMKUS

Rimkuvienė, Rimkuvienės, Rimkuvienei, Rimkuvienę, Rimkuviene, Rimkuvienėje, Rimkuviene

unmarried woman: MISS RIMKUS

Rimkutė, Rimkutės, Rimkutei, Rimkutę, Rimkute, Rimkutėje, Rimkute

This is 28 endings in the singular alone. Since there is also plural, you must double this and you will get 56 forms of a Lithuanian name.

As I'm blessed myself with a Prussian-Lithuanian name I can add the dual forms (for pairs of people), which unfortunately have not preserved all 7 cases of Lithuanian but are reduced to four cases each: this is another 16 forms.

Which leaves me with a total of 72 forms of my name.

Austo
02-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Well, I am sure in Russian, espcially since Gural'nik have meaning in Ukrainian language. :) Root (Gural') possibly could be of non-Slavic origin, but suffix is Slavic, and it is word from one Slavic language. Russian Ashkenazim used mostly Russian names (altough offten verry specific), same like German had German, and Polish ones Polish.

But here we are not talking about Gural'nik, we are talking about Guralnik.

Twistedmind
02-01-2013, 10:47 PM

Well, when Ukrainian Гуральник is usually transcribed as Guralnik, altugh more correct yould be Gural'nik or Guraljnik or Guralynik :) Ask any Spanish member, I doubt they know someone with such name. Anyway, all names Bella posted had meaning of some kind of craftsmen in Ukrainian, since Jews were offten craftsmen it is no surprise some fo them ended with such names.

bella1407
02-01-2013, 10:48 PM

in Russian Гуральник letter ь doesn't exist in English.

Austo
02-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Well, when Ukrainian Гуральник is usually transcribed as Guralnik, altugh more correct yould be Gural'nik or Guraljnik or Guralynik :) Ask any Spanish member, I doubt they know someone with such name.

Still. Guralnik is of spanish/hispanic heritage my friend :)

bella1407
02-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Still. Guralnik is of spanish/hispanic heritage my friend :)
what about my uncle Joseph Guralnik?:D He is a JEW.

Sikeliot
02-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Some of them do look Greek.

Twistedmind
02-01-2013, 10:51 PM

Descendant of Ukrainian Jew, who was distilling drink for living. ;)

Austo
02-01-2013, 10:52 PM

maybe he had 100 years back a hispanic anchestor, and the name survived.

How should i know.

Sikeliot
02-01-2013, 10:53 PM
What you mean?

Levin is a Slavicized version of Levy.

bella1407
Some of them do look Greek.

Which one? Linnik maybe:confused:

Twistedmind
Levin is a Slavicized version of Levy.

Not at all. It is derived from male name Lev (translation of Greek Leon). Due stressing it is pronounced as Lyovin, that confused Bella.

bella1407
02-01-2013, 10:55 PM
maybe he had 100 years back a hispanic anchestor, and the name survived.

How should i know.

lol. -nik is atypical "for hispanic anchestor":D

bella1407
02-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Not at all. It is derived from male name Lev. Due stressing it is pronounced as Lyovin, that confused Bella.

Sikeliot
02-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Not at all. It is derived from male name Lev. Due stressing it is pronounced as Lyovin, that confused Bella.

Well everyone I know with the last name Levin is Jewish.

Twistedmind
02-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Well everyone I know with the last name Levin is Jewish.

Different origins. Russian name was used for priests. Jews could not be Orthodox priests. Also Levin from Anna Karenina was rich noble, not Jew.

Sikeliot
02-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Different origins. Russian name was used for priests. Jews could not be Orthodox priests. Also Levin from Anna Karenian was rich noble, not Jew.

Well I'll also add everyone I've ever met with the first name Lev has been Jewish too .

bella1407
02-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Different origins. Russian name was used for priests. Jews could not be Orthodox priests. Also Levin from Anna Karenina was rich noble, not Jew.

Lёvin, not Levin.

Aunt Hilda
Some are of German/Swedish origin, some Slavic (Russin, Polish or Ruthenian)
origin.
Sakaluskas - Sokolovski, Ragauskas - Ragovski, Steinis - Stein. Rest are I guess Lithuanian.

Sakaluskas - Sokolovski ( nope, based on sakalas(lith. eagle)
Ragauskas - Ragovski (nope, based on Ragas (lith. Horn)
Steinis - Stein (probably, thats not the point, I was asking what you the spelling made you think of the name, not what the origin is :picard1:)

Twistedmind
Well I'll also add everyone I've ever met with the first name Lev has been Jewish too .
You dont live in Russia for start
:picard2:
Lev Tolstoy. not Jew.
Lev of Galicia. not Jew
Lev Gumilev. Not Jew.
Look at Wikipedia, it is as Jewish name as Albert.

bella1407
02-01-2013, 11:02 PM

Lev Tolstoy was Russian.:p

Twistedmind
02-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Lёvin, not Levin.

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9B%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%BD_%28%D1%84%D0%B0%D0% BC%D0%B8%D0%BB%D0%B8%D1%8F%29
Look verry carefully who is on end under:
Вымышленные персонажи

Twistedmind
02-01-2013, 11:08 PM
All Lithuanian names on -uskas are derived from Slavic on ovski. And it is sokol in Slavic languages (remember, our languages are closely related). Just slight correction it is hawk not eagle.

In Slavic languages horn is rog. And again -uskas.

As you know, Lithuania was in personal union with Poland for hundreds of years, and many nobles got Polonized, so it is not strange to encounter family names of Slavic origin.

Steinis - Stein (probably, thats not the point, I was asking what you the spelling made you think of the name, not what the origin is :picard1:)
Made me think about hawk and horns? Are you staisfied?

bella1407
02-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Stein sounds jewish.

Veneda
02-01-2013, 11:11 PM

Sokolovski - from 'sokol' - falcon, hawk in all Slavic languages
Ragovski - from 'rag/rog' - horn in all Slavic languages

Aunt Hilda
02-01-2013, 11:24 PM
Sokolovski - from 'sokol' - falcon, hawk in all Slavic languages
Ragovski - from 'rag/rog' - horn in all Slavic languages

isn't it just as likely those names evolved simultaneously.
in particular because of the affix as in Sakalauskas, Ragauskas is exclusively feature of the baltic languages, it would make sense since lithuanian last names evolved during the XVI - XVIII centuries, while in neighbouring poland it was XVIII–XIX centuries

Generally speaking slavic borrowings can have the ending askas but they are generally reserved for surnames that stated to evolve from nicknames like Vasiliáskas

Twistedmind
02-01-2013, 11:28 PM
isn't it just as likely those names evolved simultaneously.
in particular because of the affix as in Sakalauskas, Ragauskas is exclusively feature of the baltic languages, it would make sense since lithuanian last names evolved during the XVI - XVIII centuries, while in neighbouring poland it was XVIII–XIX centuries

Generally speaking slavic borrowings are can have the ending askas but they are generally reserved for surnames that stated to evolve from nicknames like Vasiliáskas

I dont remmeber any surname of Lithauanian Grand Dukes ;).
Anyway, like I said surnames on uskas were Lithuanian versions of Polish and Russian surnames on ovski/ovskiy. Kazlauskas is Koslovski etc. Kozel is goat in Russian, I believe Poles have verry similar word.

Aunt Hilda
02-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Anyway, like I said surnames on uskas were Lithuanian versions of Polish and Russian surnames on ovski/ovskiy

lithuania was part of poland(in theory they both were equal but we know thats nonsense), polish kings were the grand dukes in XVI - XVIII.

Anyway, like I said surnames on uskas were Lithuanian versions of Polish and Russian surnames on ovski/ovskiy

there are many suffixes of Slavic origin , like -auskas, -avičius, -evičius,

the suffixes were the product of the Polonization of the population

Aunt Hilda
02-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Kazlauskas is Koslovski etc. Kozel is goat in Russian, I believe Poles have verry similar word.

names like Kazláuskas start appearing in XVII century documents, they were translations of nicknames, Kazláuskas is based in Ožys, Ožẽlis

Austo
02-02-2013, 12:02 AM
Stein sounds jewish.

why?

It is the german word for stone.

Many people in the german speaking area have this last name.

bella1407
02-02-2013, 12:04 AM
why?

It is the german word for stone.

Many people in the german speaking area have this last name.

thank for the info.:rolleyes:

Aunt Hilda
02-02-2013, 12:10 AM
All Lithuanian names on -uskas are derived from Slavic on ovski. And it is sokol in Slavic languages (remember, our languages are closely related). Just slight correction it is hawk not eagle.

In Slavic languages horn is rog. And again -uskas.

but its Sakalauskas and ragauskas not sokolauskas or Rogauskas

As you know, Lithuania was in personal union with Poland for hundreds of years, and many nobles got Polonized, so it is not strange to encounter family names of Slavic origin.

I'm surprised there aren't more, to be honest

Made me think about hawk and horns? Are you staisfied?
Stein made you think of that?:rolleyes:

Veneda
02-02-2013, 12:24 AM
names like Kazláuskas start appearing in XVII century documents, they were translations of nicknames, Kazláuskas is based in Ožys, Ožẽlis
Polish surname Kozlowski (http://www.houseofnames.com/Kozlowski-history?A=54323-292) begins to appear in documents much earlier, in XIVth century (1370).
http://www.genealogia.okiem.pl/kozlowski.htm

Aunt Hilda
02-02-2013, 12:27 AM
Polish surname Kozlowski (http://www.houseofnames.com/Kozlowski-history?A=54323-292) begins to appear in documents much earlier, in XIVth century (1370).
http://www.genealogia.okiem.pl/kozlowski.htm

not in lithuania it doesn't, at least not on a noticeable scale

Twistedmind
02-02-2013, 12:33 AM

That surnames got lithuanized. For ilustration, Greek Γεώργιος (Georgios) in English become George (with quite different pronounciation). When words are going from one language to other, there are numerous changes. ;) That is one of basic things to know in linguistics.

Stein made you think of that?:rolleyes:
Not, Sakalauskas and Ragauskas did. :bored:

Veneda
02-02-2013, 12:38 AM
not in lithuania it doesn't, at least not on a noticeable scale
Sure, Kozlowski surname origin predates the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth :)

Aunt Hilda
02-02-2013, 12:44 AM
That surnames got lithuanized. For ilustration, Greek Γεώργιος (Georgios) in English become George (with quite different pronounciation). When words are going from one language to other, there are numerous changes. ;) That is one of basic things to know in linguistics.

sakalas and ragas are not loan words but share a common origin with sokol and rog, you know the balto-slavic thing

Twistedmind
02-02-2013, 12:47 AM
sakalas and ragas are not loan words but share a common origin with sokol and rog

Yes, but surname endings on uskas usually point on Slavic origin of surnames. Since verry similar sounding words, of same meaning and origin existed in Lithuanian it was easy to be changed in such way. :) Anyway, it is not big deal. It was happening in entire Europe. Scotish Sinclaire is of French origin (Saint Claire).

Veneda
02-02-2013, 12:49 AM
The difference between 'sakal'-'sokol' and 'rag'-'rog' can be the result of Slavic linguistic feature called 'akanie', ie. pronunciation the vowel 'o' as 'a'.

Aunt Hilda
02-02-2013, 12:50 AM
Yes, but surname endings on uskas usually point on Slavic origin of surnames. :) Anyway, it is not big deal. It was happening in entire Europe. Scotish Sinclaire is of French origin (Saint Claire).

the ending auskas, is the product of Polonization of the population, not migration. (remember the feudal system was still in practice at the time)

Yes, but surname endings on uskas usually point on Slavic origin of surnames. Since verry similar sounding words, of same meaning and origin existed in Lithuanian it was easy to be changed in such way. :)
makes sense.

The difference between 'sakal'-'sokol' and 'rag'-'rog' can be the result of Slavic linguistic feature called 'akanie', ie. pronunciation the vowel 'o' as 'a'.
thats not supported by linguistic research (waterbody names show that it must be a common origin, rather a loan word)

Twistedmind
02-02-2013, 12:55 AM
the ending auskas, is the product of Polonization of the population, not migration. (remember the feudal system was still in practice at the time)

I said surname was of Slavic origin. I dont know how it arrived in Poland. Anyway, nobles themselves were Polonized, and before that Ruthenised. Remember, it was Lithuanian dinasty which captured Rus' cities and latter got elected on Polish throne. It was not forcefull, rather assimilation of Lithuanian Nobility into Polish. For their part it was voluntary.

Aunt Hilda
02-02-2013, 01:03 AM
I said surname was of Slavic origin.
nope
http://www.lki.lt/LKI_LT/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=330&Itemid=22

I dont know how it arrived in Poland.
Its highly unlikely it 'arrived' in poland, The most likely senario, is that it came about simultaneously

Anyway, nobles themselves were Polonized, and before that Ruthenised. Remember, it was Lithuanian dinasty which captured Rus' cities and latter got elected on Polish throne. It was not forcefull, rather assimilation of Lithuanian Nobility into Polish. For their part it was voluntary.

thats exactly the point, since they still had the feudal system, most peasants were tied to a certain noble family. which, in turn, polonized the peasants

Twistedmind
02-02-2013, 01:08 AM
nope
http://www.lki.lt/LKI_LT/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=330&Itemid=22

Nice paperback, but I dont get it. :p

Its highly unlikely it 'arrived' in poland, The most likely senario, is that it came about simultaneously
Lapsus tastaturae, I meant how it arrived in Lithuania. In any case -uskas surnames denote previous Slavic formes, used, mostly by nobles, priests and other people of higher social status who were participating in polish culture between XV and XIX century.

Aunt Hilda
02-02-2013, 01:19 AM
Nice paperback, but I dont get it. :p

there is a english section

Lapsus tastaturae,

huh?

I meant how it arrived in Lithuania.

again, its unlikely it arrived in lithuania, but rather came about under similar circumstances, simultaneously

In any case -uskas surnames denote previous Slavic formes

fits the time frame

used, mostly by nobles, priests and other people of higher social status who were participating in polish culture between XV and XIX century.

now you're just helping to make my case

Twistedmind
02-02-2013, 01:29 AM
there is a english section
Ok and? Insitute for Lithuanian language.

huh?

Latin language ;)

again, its unlikely it arrived in lithuania, but rather came about under similar circumstances, simultaneously

Lol it has typicall Slavic ending pronounced in Lithuanian way. I said, I dont know, if it arrived with settlers or people who accepted Polish surname at some point, and latter their descendants Lithuanized surname. :) Do you understand me now?

quite the contrary it shows polonization, ( migration was incredibly difficult at the time)
Do you have clue how much different ethnicites lived in Vilnus? Poles, Lithuanians, Russians, Ruthenians, Tatars, Ashkenazi Jews, Sephardi Jews, Czechs, Germans, French, Scotsmen ;) etc.
Anyway, Lithuanized Slavic suffix show Polonisation. lol (I am not making fun, but you did not chose happiest example.

now you're just helping to make my case
Not really. You are not reading what I am saying :) Re-read again, I am acctually not contradicting you. ;)

Aunt Hilda
02-02-2013, 01:44 AM
Latin language ;)

balto-slavic would be my guess

Lol it has typicall Slavic ending pronounced in Lithuanian way. I said, I dont know, if it arrived with settlers or people who accepted Polish surname at some point, and latter their descendants Lithuanized surname. :) Do you understand me now?

my guess, would be that the original form of the nickname, sakalis, sakalas, was polonized in the commonwealth

Do you have clue how much different ethnicites lived in Vilnus? Poles, Lithuanians, Russians, Ruthenians, Tatars, Ashkenazi Jews, Sephardi Jews, Czechs, Germans, French, Scotsmen ;) etc.
Anyway, Lithuanized Slavic suffix show Polonisation. lol (I am not making fun, but you did not chose happiest example.

the name mostly appears in samogitia not vilnius. You have to take feudalism into account, migration in samogitia was very restricted, especially compared to Vilnius

Not really. You are not reading what I am saying :) Re-read again, I am acctually not contradicting you. ;)

Aunt Hilda
02-02-2013, 02:09 AM

It does.... slavic suffices(-auskas, -avičius, -evičius) were added to lithuanian nicknames(latter became surnames)
most of the names that display "slavicness" start appearing in written records only. they were not used by everyday people.
In the process of polonization, slavic suffices would be added to baltic words
example.; Andreas Kotkun → Kotkunowicz;Joannes Lankielis → Lankiewicz

footnotes http://www.delfi.lt/news/daily/lithuania/kokios-yra-musu-pavardes.d?id=31451957
http://giminesmedis.blogas.lt/pavardziu-keliones-306.html

Aunt Hilda
02-02-2013, 02:58 PM
I would assume all of them are Lithuanian, except for the ones that end in -s which I would think are Greek.

since when, do people know what lithuanian names look like? :confused:

Aunt Hilda
02-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Since they (and other Slav scum) began flooding the UK
There's barely any of them here in the UK. Surely most people don't notice them as much as poles or romanians,

FYI they aren't slavic. More importantly there's nothing wrong with slavs

there's a lot of things you could call scum: Nazis, NeoNazis, commies, bodybuilders :rolleyes:....

Aunt Hilda
02-02-2013, 05:44 PM
They're Slavs in denial

how is that even a thing, their language isn't slavic.....

I've never seen any Lithuanian who doesn't look Slavic

they mostly look like polish, german, danish, norwegian people(the last two I can't explain)

I've yet to meet a lithuanian person, who would instantly make me think he's a slav. then again, almost all lithuanian people I know are students.

bella1407
02-03-2013, 03:01 AM
Arthas, don't troll. lithuanians are not slavic.

Twistedmind
02-03-2013, 12:47 PM
how is that even a thing, their language isn't slavic.....

they mostly look like polish, german, danish, norwegian people(the last two I can't explain)

I've yet to meet a lithuanian person, who would instantly make me think he's a slav. then again, almost all lithuanian people I know are students.

And what Poles are? Anyway, dont you think it is impossible there is no Lithuanians who look like Russians and Belarusians? Given simple fact that two countries are closer than Denmark.
Anway, Balts are not Slavs, but linguistically they are verry close to us.

Aunt Hilda
02-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Anyway, dont you think it is impossible there is no Lithuanians who look like Russians and Belarusians?

There are liths who look like the stereotypical Russian but they are rare. Don't know about Belarusians since I have never seen one....

Given simple fact that two countries are closer than Denmark.

I'm merely basing this on my personal experiences

Anway, Balts are not Slavs, but linguistically they are verry close to us.

yes, the balto-slavic thing I know

Twistedmind
02-03-2013, 12:58 PM
There are liths who look like the stereotypical Russian but they are rare. Don't know about Belarusians since I have never seen one....

What is stereotypicall Russian? There is 120,000,000 of them. And, from anthropological perspective, Northern Russians significantly overlap with Baltic peoples.

I'm merely basing this on my personal experiences

Yes it is obvious. ;)

Aunt Hilda
02-03-2013, 03:19 PM
What is stereotypicall Russian? There is 120,000,000 of them. And, from anthropological perspective, Northern Russians significantly overlap with Baltic peoples.

well genetics wise, lithuanians are closer to finns, then they are to Russians but thats besides the point, since the "look" of the nations is also influenced by the environment and nutritional habits

What is stereotypicall Russian?

thats him :P
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9f/G%C3%A9rard_Depardieu_Cannes_2010.jpg/200px-G%C3%A9rard_Depardieu_Cannes_2010.jpg

Twistedmind
02-03-2013, 03:34 PM
well genetics wise, lithuanians are closer to finns, then they are to Russians but thats besides the point, since the "look" of the nations is also influenced by the environment and nutritional habits
Since Russians are biggest European nation, it is pointless to generalize them. Northern Russians are anthropologicaly (genentically) verry close to all of them.

thats him :P
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9f/G%C3%A9rard_Depardieu_Cannes_2010.jpg/200px-G%C3%A9rard_Depardieu_Cannes_2010.jpg
:D
He is Montenegrin as well. Pan Slavic look :D

inactive_member
02-05-2013, 03:46 AM
well genetics wise, lithuanians are closer to finns

A Lithuanian claiming kinship to Finns. I like reading that.

bella1407
02-05-2013, 06:45 AM
New!

Teras
Akhmetov
Alekhno
Farion
Shufrich

Lisa
02-05-2013, 07:52 AM
well genetics wise, lithuanians are closer to finns...

not a fact
http://s06.radikal.ru/i179/1302/17/8d687f4e6f1e.png (http://www.radikal.ru)

Lisa
02-05-2013, 07:59 AM
...Northern Russians significantly overlap with Baltic peoples.

Northern Russians closer to Finns. Central Russians similar to Lithuanians..

02-05-2013, 12:32 PM
I guessed those as Lithuanian despite only ever knowing one person from there. Thing is, I don't know *why* I guessed right. Weird!