PDA

View Full Version : China welcomes Turkish bid for SCO membership

MfA_
02-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Turkey's aspirations for membership in the Russian and Chinese-led Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) might materialize as the organization moves towards admitting new members, the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a special talk with Today's Zaman.

“The SCO is working on improving the administrative and financial basis for new members. The member states of the SCO will meet and make a decision together on the applications proposed by states that are interested in joining,” said a senior Chinese official on Friday.

In addition, he said the SCO observes the principle of openness and values the partnership with observer countries, including Turkey as a dialogue partner, adding that “the SCO is mapping out detailed cooperative measures.”

Acknowledging for the first time in public Erdoğan's comment that “the SCO is much better than the EU,” which led to a wide range of debate and discussion, Chinese analysts say Ankara's decision to move toward the SCO matches the actual development and power of Turkey in the region. That is, Turkey can choose to go for the SCO or for the EU.

“Since the EU has not accepted Turkey, Turkey can search for a new way. Strengthening the relationship with the SCO will help Turkey to realize its strategic goal for 2023,” Professor Wang Lincong, director of the international relations division of the Institute of West Asian and African Studies and secretary-general of the Gulf Research Center, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS), said in an interview with Today's Zaman.

In 2023 Turkey will mark the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the Turkish Republic. It is also a critical date that Turks have set to achieve their strategic mission for a competitive economy, a proactive foreign policy and becoming a regional energy hub, all of which will affect Turkey's role in the world.

According to Lincong, the EU has shown by its treatment of Turkey's bid for membership that it still cannot get beyond its narrow, exclusive and inward-looking characteristics and does not realize the importance of the acceptance of Turkey.

“Given the deep financial crisis in Europe, the members of the EU should know that they need Turkey much more; it is a chance for the development of the EU,” Lincong said.

Commenting on the importance Turkey attaches to the SCO with its recent announcement, Lincong said that for the past 10 years, Turkey has become more open and pays more attention to the East under its policy of balanced diplomacy, adding, “Turkey's eastward-oriented strategy has created broad prospects for the development of the country.”

The SCO is an intergovernmental security organization composed of six member countries: China, Russia, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan, and which some say also has a strategic goal of ending the global hegemony of the US, Turkey's NATO ally.

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-305818-china-welcomes-turkish-bid-for-sco-membership.html

Onur
02-02-2013, 03:48 PM
just shows of goodwill to be politically correct.

The SCO is an intergovernmental security organization composed of six member countries: China, Russia, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan, and which some say also has a strategic goal of ending the global hegemony of the US, Turkey's NATO ally.
Their strategic goal is to end US hegemony and they will supposedly accept Turkey inside their organization? For what purpose? As a trojan horse?

RussiaPrussia
02-04-2013, 07:01 PM
just shows of goodwill to be politically correct.

Their strategic goal is to end US hegemony and they will supposedly accept Turkey inside their organization? For what purpose? As a trojan horse?

its not an anti US bloc its just an option for that that china and russia like to play out so everyone thinks it.

Kemalisté
02-04-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't really understand why SCO is being introduced like an alternative option to the EU. We can be a member of both of the organizations. Our membership of NATO would be at danger though, which is good anyway.

Lathander
02-09-2013, 01:22 AM
I don't really understand why SCO is being introduced like an alternative option to the EU. We can be a member of both of the organizations. Our membership of NATO would be at danger though, which is good anyway.

EU is not benefical for us nor desired by us right now.

ümit
02-09-2013, 01:30 AM
EU is not benefical for us nor desired by us right now.

So you are ready to write in Chinese forums instead The Apricity?:D

Qemist
02-09-2013, 02:11 AM

SCO is mainly a security forum whereas the EU is mainly economic, so I agree they are not in competition. I don't see why people keep posing it as EU vs SCO. As you point out, it is more NATO vs SCO.

RussiaPrussia
02-09-2013, 03:46 PM
So you are ready to write in Chinese forums instead The Apricity?:D

eu is not =europe.

Norway, switzerland, russia there are a lot of countries who feel european and dont want to join that organisation.

denz
02-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Except politics, eu can be considered as christian club described by themselves. On the other side russia is more european considering their development (not completely but) and attitude to multiculturism. Besides, there is no ethnic or religious unity on SCO, both beneficial in ecenomical, cultural and so on... Go ahead SCO

Onur
02-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Except politics, eu can be considered as christian club described by themselves.
Christianity is also part of politics as every other religion in the world. In fact, christianity is a major political element in EU.

denz
02-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Christianity is also part of politics as every other religion in the world. In fact, christianity is a major political element in EU.

Excatly, major and dominating. On the other hand, SCO has vast diversification of religious and trade possibilities as a conclusion. But considering the evolution of human development, there is a long way to achieve considering EU.
But at least Turkey has no any pathetic objection about human rights etc and can pursue trade possibilities, military achievements ...

ümit
02-10-2013, 04:08 PM
eu is not =europe.

Norway, switzerland, russia there are a lot of countries who feel european and dont want to join that organisation.

:picard1:
It was a joke.

Partizan
02-14-2013, 11:46 AM
If we will cooperate with Russia and China, than I will feel ashamed about being allied to killers of Uyghurs and oppressors of Turkestan.

7 Turkic countries have enough significance, especially geopolitically. We all should break Russian and American made chains in our arms and be a big unity. Than, similar to Yugoslavia(but in much bigger extent), we can be leader and protector of Non-Aligned States against creepy Euro-Atlantic and Eurasian leagues.

Xenomorph
02-14-2013, 08:01 PM
If we will cooperate with Russia and China, than I will feel ashamed about being allied to killers of Uyghurs and oppressors of Turkestan.

7 Turkic countries have enough significance, especially geopolitically. We all should break Russian and American made chains in our arms and be a big unity. Than, similar to Yugoslavia(but in much bigger extent), we can be leader and protector of Non-Aligned States against creepy Euro-Atlantic and Eurasian leagues.

Would you really want to be joined with a country who's government is as crazy as that of Turkmenistan?

Hoca
02-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Something the article doesn't say:

China wants Turkey to be only an observer member. Not a full member like China and Russia. China doesn't want to share power with Turkey. That is not enough for Turkey.

I think Turkey needs to create something with Turkic countries plus Russia and addionally Japan to counter Chinese expansionism.

Hoca
02-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Would you really want to be joined with a country who's government is as crazy as that of Turkmenistan?

If you talk to Turkmen, Azeri or Kirgiz, they all see Turkey as a brother and as role model. Turkish influence will be positive in Central Asia. Believe me.

Xenomorph
02-15-2013, 12:11 AM
If you talk to Turkmen, Azeri or Kirgiz, they all see Turkey as a brother and as role model. Turkish influence will be positive in Central Asia. Believe me.

Turkey may have a positive influence, but it will be forced to share power with a country who's government is basically a more benevolent mirror of North Korea. A union of all the Turkic countries would just saddle the relatively prosperous Turkey and Azerbaijan with the impoverished and incredibly corrupt countries of Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, and Kazakhstan.

Partizan
02-15-2013, 06:59 AM

Well, a "Turkic Spring" is needed first. Only Kyrgyzstan has a good government, the rest are corrupt. Not to forget that, especially Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan have Russian puppet clowns in the government.

I think you would get it from "breaking American and Russian chains".

RussiaPrussia
02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Well, a "Turkic Spring" is needed first. Only Kyrgyzstan has a good government, the rest are corrupt. Not to forget that, especially Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan have Russian puppet clowns in the government.

I think you would get it from "breaking American and Russian chains".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rCrNNUZf4k

http://rtd.rt.com/films/kyrgyzstan-ethnic-violence-osh/#part-1

they had your so called turkic spring look what they have done to other turks.

Hochmeister
02-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Lol. Nobody will let Turkey in. This time Central Asia is turning a Chinese colony. China is constructing the railway and highways Uyghuria - Kirghizia - Uzbekistan -Turkmenia (under protection of Chinese army) in order to organize a raw materials delivery. China will have a war against those who would try to stop them, since these raw materials are essential for the China's survival. And Chinese immigrants started arriving, probably they outnumbered the leaving Europeans in some places (IMHO).

Hoca
02-15-2013, 03:26 PM
China has too many internal problems to fight a war against Turkey, US, Japan, Russia or any others. Chinese economy is completely in the hands of Americans (they can make or brake them)and they are very uneasy with Chinese expanionism. That is why US supports japan in recent island crises. Japan, Russia, Turkey, US all are on the the same boat regarding Chinese expansionism.

RussiaPrussia
02-15-2013, 03:37 PM
China has too many internal problems to fight a war against Turkey, US, Japan, Russia or any others. Chinese economy is completely in the hands of Americans (they can make or brake them)and they are very uneasy with Chinese expanionism. That is why US supports japan in recent island crises. Japan, Russia, Turkey, US all are on the the same boat regarding Chinese expansionism.

they are still powerful, chinas economy is as big as indias, japans and russias together

Hochmeister
02-15-2013, 03:56 PM
China has too many internal problems to fight a war against Turkey, US, Japan, Russia or any others. C

Lol. You are a big dreamer (like all Turkic nationalists).

Russia won't have a war with China. No way.
Turkey is located next to Israel. It would be fun to watch such a war. Probably the Chinese fleet will arrive to Bosphor and shoot down everything to shit.
Japan doesn't have guts to have a war alone.
Americans aren't nuts too.

Kazakhstan can't exist without Russia and will stay with Moscow. Kirghizia can't exist without Kazakhstan and will follow Kazakhstan. Tajikistan can't exist without Moscow too.

Only Central Asians wanted to preserve Soviet Union back in 1991. But silly Turkic nationalists can't perceive this simple fact. It makes no sense to talk with fanatics. :D

Partizan
02-15-2013, 04:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rCrNNUZf4k

http://rtd.rt.com/films/kyrgyzstan-ethnic-violence-osh/#part-1

they had your so called turkic spring look what they have done to other turks.

The revolutions always have pains at start... But actually I am more pleased with current government of Kyrgyzstan.

Lol. Nobody will let Turkey in. This time Central Asia is turning a Chinese colony. China is constructing the railway and highways Uyghuria - Kirghizia - Uzbekistan -Turkmenia (under protection of Chinese army) in order to organize a raw materials delivery. China will have a war against those who would try to stop them, since these raw materials are essential for the China's survival. And Chinese immigrants started arriving, probably they outnumbered the leaving Europeans in some places (IMHO).

Unfortunately there are a lot of scenarios about 21.th century being age of Chinese, I've just watched a documentary about Chinese in Senegal. However, we know that China recently had problems with neighboring states(Russia and India). So China has rivals for being "effective" in region and such a conflict of interests might harm both China and her rivals.

RussiaPrussia
02-15-2013, 04:17 PM
The revolutions always have pains at start... But actually I am more pleased with current government of Kyrgyzstan.

but they still want to join eurasian union even more so after they realized how unstable their country is after the revolution

Hoca
02-15-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm not the one who is dreaming. Hochmeister, not even the Chinese will be able to save you from us. So stop with your what-ifs game.

Partizan
02-15-2013, 04:23 PM
but they still want to join eurasian union even more so after they realized how unstable their country is after the revolution

They did not jump into it unlike KGB agent Nazarbayev did, though.

Hochmeister
02-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Hochmeister, not even the Chinese will be able to save you from us.

Keep dreaming.

Hochmeister
02-15-2013, 04:27 PM
They did not jump into it unlike KGB agent Nazarbayev did, though.

Here are we go again :picard2:
Kazakhstan exists only because of Nazarbaev. If Nazarbaev dies I'm afraid Kazakhstan disappears too.

RussiaPrussia
02-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Kazakhstan exists only because of Nazarbaev. If Nazarbaev dies I'm afraid Kazakhstan disappears too.

if he dies the kazaks will probably try to kill russians, then russian will take north kazakstan and china probably the south.

Hochmeister
02-15-2013, 04:38 PM
if he dies the kazaks will probably try to kill russians, then russian will take north kazakstan and china probably the south.

Kazakhs will fight with each other. They have a lot of clans, being in very serious quarrels and only Nazarbaev unites them.

Partizan
02-15-2013, 04:42 PM

Nope, puppets like Nazarbayev only increase corruption there. I am sure our Kazakh brethren will have one man who will complete the job of Ryskulov (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turar_Ryskulov).

I think Russia would have to accept repatriate those foreigners in Central Asia instead :) It is in benefit of Russia too, since North Caucasus' population is growing up.

Sky earth
02-16-2013, 12:54 AM
Sorry but I don't want Turkey to join in a Union with a sick dictatorship like in Turkmenistan. I think pan-Turkism ist just a dream like the other pan movements. The Turkic people are culturally too different from each other. The Uzbeks and Kyrgyz for example hate each other and there were violent conflicts between them in South Kyrgyzstan.

Hochmeister
02-16-2013, 03:22 AM
Nope, puppets like Nazarbayev only increase corruption there.

We have been on it lots of times. Your dreams have nothing to do with the reality.

Sorry but I don't want Turkey to join in a Union with a sick dictatorship like in Turkmenistan.

Turkmenia and Uzbekistan could be your allies at the best case. But when Uzbek guest workers start arriving to Turkey, you will curse everything in this world.
Kazakhstan and Kirghizia are the best countries in Turkestan. But Kazakhstan's backbone are Europeans and this country will stay with Moscow both politically and culturally. Same with Kirghizia. Though she lost almost all Europeans, but Kirghizia is very close to Kazakhstan and will keep following Kazakhs in almost all aspects.

The Uzbeks and Kyrgyz for example hate each other

All together Kazakhs, Kirghizmen and Tajiks hate Uzbeks very much.

Sky earth
02-16-2013, 03:38 AM
We have been on it lots of times. Your dreams have nothing to do with the reality.

Turkmenia and Uzbekistan could be your allies at the best case. But when Uzbek guest workers start arriving to Turkey, you will curse everything in this world.
Kazakhstan and Kirghizia are the best countries in Turkestan. But Kazakhstan's backbone are Europeans and this country will stay with Moscow both politically and culturally. Same with Kirghizia. Though she lost almost all Europeans, but Kirghizia is very close to Kazakhstan and will keep following Kazakhs in almost all aspects.

I've also heard that Uzbeks are very hated by their neighbours but why? Is it because they're extremly religious? I know that Uzbeks and Tajiks are culturally very strong connect to each other and and care for Islam unlike the Kazkahs and Krygyz.

denz
02-16-2013, 04:56 AM

not that simple. Also there are 3 kazakh clans which dont like each other. And oil in caspian sea. Problems with Uzbekistan etc..

Hochmeister
02-16-2013, 05:41 AM
I've also heard that Uzbeks are very hated by their neighbours but why?

Because of Kokand Khanate. They treated all their neighboures like untermenschen, that is why Kazakh and Kirghiz tribes eagerly supported Russian Imperial Army against Uzbeks.

I know that Uzbeks and Tajiks are culturally very strong connect to each other and and care for Islam unlike the Kazkahs and Krygyz.

Uzbeks are Sunni. Tajiks are Shiah. But all major Uzbek cities like Bukhara, Samarkand etc are actually Tajik, with spoken Tajik language.

RussiaPrussia
02-16-2013, 08:03 AM
usbekistan is much more closer to iran

Hoca
02-16-2013, 09:47 AM

No

Hoca
02-16-2013, 09:49 AM

And what is Usbekistan? haha

Sky earth
02-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Because of Kokand Khanate. They treated all their neighboures like untermenschen, that is why Kazakh and Kirghiz tribes eagerly supported Russian Imperial Army against Uzbeks.

Uzbeks are Sunni. Tajiks are Shiah. But all major Uzbek cities like Bukhara, Samarkand etc are actually Tajik, with spoken Tajik language.

Wrong! Tajiks are also mainly Sunni muslims

denz
02-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Kazakhs will fight with each other. They have a lot of clans, being in very serious quarrels and only Nazarbaev unites them.

And what is Usbekistan? haha

Simply, kazakhstan did the best comparing others with help of russia and trying to take european money investor. Mainly they have three clan called ulu, orta and kucuk yuz. Nazarbayev is related uluyuz clan which during collapse of cccb against other clans and independence and he is ex russian agent and founder of the democratic party so called nur otan.