PDA

View Full Version : Do You have a garden?

Sisak
02-04-2013, 05:16 AM
http://i49.tinypic.com/34j3fux.jpg

Many families in Croatia produce their own vegetables such as peas, beans, salads, poppy, onion, pumpkin, carrots, tomato, potato, etc...We call it vrt or bašća. This is not separated yard with the fence, it is more open yard behind the houses. Also, they have plums, peaches, grapes, berries...

What kind of vegetables and fruits are grown successfully in your country?

Hurrem sultana
02-04-2013, 05:18 AM
No but we had basca in Bosnia

Madonna
02-04-2013, 05:19 AM
it is also still popular in Poland

Hurrem sultana
02-04-2013, 05:20 AM
its more healthy too bad we cant do this here

Methmatician
02-04-2013, 05:21 AM
Yes, but nowhere near that big.

derLowe
02-04-2013, 05:21 AM
I have a lawn.

Sisak
02-04-2013, 05:25 AM
Yes, but nowhere near that big.

People in Australia keeping up the yards like in ex Yugoslavia?

American_Hispanist
02-04-2013, 05:31 AM
my parents have a garden, a bit like that, but not as big. they grow cacti, lemons, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, cilantro, etc.

Madonna
02-04-2013, 05:32 AM
I prefer vegetables and fruits from my mom's garden, they are delicious
this smell and taste !!

Methmatician
02-04-2013, 05:38 AM
People in Australia keeping up the yards like in ex Yugoslavia?

Not all of us, just some. I know one guy who makes his own Rakija, bought bees so he could have free honey, and he tries to grow almost every vegetable/fruit that are available in ex-Yu. He also likes to make sudžuk. The guy tries to be as independent as possible.

Methmatician
02-04-2013, 05:39 AM
Also, many farmers in Australia are from the Balkans, or have Balkan ancestry.

Sisak
02-04-2013, 05:42 AM
poppy:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2ikxel2.jpg
apples, plums, elder treese..in Croatia is very popular elder juice, you can order elder juice in caffe bars in Zagreb.
http://i48.tinypic.com/2lmoqv5.jpg

Hurrem sultana
02-04-2013, 05:45 AM
Every time i go to Bosnia i take home stuff like this:

http://www.mojabeba.rs/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/boranija.jpg

domace najbolje :D

Sisak
02-04-2013, 06:01 AM
Also, many farmers in Australia are from the Balkans, or have Balkan ancestry.

Do you know any Croat in Australia? What are they doing in Australia?

Methmatician
02-04-2013, 06:05 AM
Do you know any Croat in Australia? What are they doing in Australia?

Unfortunately I don't know any Croats. But many of the Croats here are quite successful. I don't know if you know this, but Eric Bana is a Croat :cool:

Sisak
02-04-2013, 06:44 AM
Unfortunately I don't know any Croats. But many of the Croats here are quite successful. I don't know if you know this, but Eric Bana is a Croat :cool:

I know and he is very handsome.

Caismeachd
02-04-2013, 07:28 AM
No I don't but I want to have it as a project in the future. I'd like to grow heirloom veggies and rarish fruits like white strawberries and stuff.

Twistedmind
02-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Yep we have one. We grow our own vegetables.

Corvus
02-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Yes we have and we also produce many vegetables and fruits for own comsumption
I have posted several pics already
One more parallel to Croatia I guess

Albion
02-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Yes.

What I grow at the moment:

Fruit: apples, plums, cherries, pears, grapes, figs, strawberries, gooseberries, raspberries, rhubarb - hopefully melons this year too (I've got some seeds).

Veg: Potatoes, peas, runner beans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runner_beans), tomatoes.

I prefer growing fruit, my veg patch is small and mainly dedicated to staple crops like potatoes. I'll plant something else in their place once they're harvested, don't know what yet. Maybe fava beans.

Sisak
02-04-2013, 12:58 PM

Twistedmind
02-04-2013, 01:49 PM

Same like in yours. Pottato, corn, tomato, cucumbers, bean, watermenlons...... etc etc. I love to wokr in garedn acctually :)

Roy
02-04-2013, 02:37 PM
I have quite a big garden with apple trees, cherry trees, apricots, currants, raspberries and tomatoes. There are also sown pumpkins. But almost every summer they got eaten by loathsome naked snails and anti-snails chemistry isn't very useful to prevent it from happening. My region is actually one of the most favorable for cultivation with the longest growing season in Poland, usually mild winters and fertile soil. Lavender and Vine do not freeze in the winter and there begun emerging some small wineries in my region (Lower Silesia) so there are held Wine Festivals in some cities.

Albion
02-04-2013, 10:29 PM

Commonly grown vegetables:

Onions
Leeks - especially in winter when not much else will grow. They're hardy enough to grow from late summer, through autumn and into winter and even spring in the British Isles. Essentially a winter vegetable.
Garlic
Celery
Horse radish
Asparagus
Swiss chard
Beetroot
Swedish Turnip - a winter veg like Leeks. Winter veg aren't as appreciated in the summer when better things will grow.
Kale
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Brussel sprouts
Turnip - another winter vegetable.
Cucumber - despite not being very suited to our climate it is very popular with gardener's that have a greenhouse. It can be grown outside if hardy varieties are chosen.
Chillis - rarely grown a few years ago, now quite common as a crop in greenhouses or via hardier strains outside. There seems to be a fad for them across much of Europe at the moment.
Carrots
Lettuce
Tomato - they used to be found mainly in greenhouses, but many varieties will grow outside now. Still mainly grown in greenhouses or by walls though.
Parsnips
Runner beans - the British and Mexicans are some of the few countries that eat these, they're regarded as an ornamental plant in most countries. Originally from Mexico, they do well as an annual crop in Britain.
Peas - peas prefer cooler summers and thrive here.
Radishes
Parsley
Rosemary
Thyme

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OvxlUzzvECE/TGlIDVJkVlI/AAAAAAAAAV4/NXcTNklsHYk/s1600/runner+beans+16+aug.JPG
Runner beans. Apparently the UK is one of the few countries where they are common.

Not as common, but increasingly being grown:

Shallots
Okra
Kohl Rabbi - British don't know what to do with it so don't really grow it.
Broccoli - despite eating a lot of it, not much is grown here because it didn't like our summers. Hardier strains mean it can be grown here fairly successfully now though, not yet as common as Cauliflower though.
Endive
Chicory
Courgettes
Pumpkins - they've been grown here since they were brought back from the Americas. Not many people grow them though because we don't really do much with them unlike the Americans. They're either grown for giant pumpkin competitions or for Halloween mostly.
Globe Artichokes
Fennel
Rocket
Sweet Potatoes - not very common, but some hardier varieties can and are grown here. British use normal potatoes as a blank slate and add flavoring from other ingredients, so sweet potatoes being sweet haven't caught on yet. They're increasingly available though.
Aubergines - they're becoming increasingly popular as people use them in Mediterranean cooking. Some hardy varieties will grow outside here.
Sweet corn - it used to only be seen on farms, but now the hardier strains mean it is becoming common in vegetable plots too. It's becoming common quickly because the British eat a lot of it, although most is imported. It's not like Aubergines where the crop was held back because we didn't use it in our cooking, the British actually consume a lot of sweet corn so I expect it will become very common now hardier strains are available.

Albion
02-04-2013, 11:08 PM

Commonly grown fruit:

Strawberries
Apples - they do very well here. We produce eating apples, cooking apples and cider apples. We make a distinction between them.
Cherries
Plums - eating plums in the south do very well, cooking plums (especially Damsons) do very well in the cooler, wetter north and west.
Pears - do very well in England, not so much in the rest of the UK (although Scotland has some old hardy strains).
Blackcurrants - very popular, made into pies, drinks (some made and commercial ones like Ribena) and jam.
Goosberries
Blackberries - extremely common in the wild where they are basically a weed. Some people grow them, although most just gather them from the hedges.
Raspberries - very common, very good in cooler areas of the UK.
Elderberry - never cultivated, but commonly harvested from wild plants to make elderflower wine and numerous other drinks. Very refreshing taste
Blueberries - used to be considered a wild berry, now grown fairly commonly thanks to Americans popularizing them.
Cranberries - same as Blueberries.
Rhubarb - officially a vegetable, but treated as a fruit. Thrives in northern and western areas of Britain and enjoys cool summers. Used in pies mostly.

http://www.keswick.u-net.com/90415t.jpg

http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/images/uploadedimages/standard/100207_2c5655fc09cd43f9afd7.jpg
Damsons were often planted in the north and west to make hedges to contain livestock. The damsons were gathered from hedgerows and used in cooking. They were also used as hedges to act as windbreaks around orchards for more valuable and more tender fruits. Damsons are very hardy but most people planted eating plums until recently (they're very closely related, but for eating fresh and not as hardy). There seems to be a lot of interest in damsons again now as people are cooking and preserving fruit a lot more now and rediscovering old recipes. The hardiness, relative ease of cultivation and largely lack of disease means that they are a good choice for a garden and in Scotland and Ireland particularly they are being very widely plant.

Grown, but not as common:

Kiwis - mostly a modern fad.
Chestnuts - usually gathered from wild trees in the south. They grow well here, although are smaller than ones found in France or Spain.
Hazelnuts - some people grow them, although most peoplejust take them from wild trees.
Melons - some very hardy varieties from America and France are now bein grown. Not common yet.
Quinces - ones grown in the UK are only useful for cooking. Not common, but more people are planting them as people seek new types of fruit and veg to cultivate. They've been grown here for centuries but never been so popular.
Figs - Brown Turkey and Celeste mostly. They are increasingly common but usually only crop once a year. There is definately an interest in them.
Medlars - they've been here for centuries and grow well here but have never been very popular. Some people still grow them though.
Mulberries - grown here for centuries, used to be popular in medieval times as people tried to cultivated silk worms on them. Most people plant raspberries or blackberries instead of large Mulberry trees.
Olives - there's a fad for them at the moment and a lot are being planted. They rarely produce olives even in southern England though, it really isn't warm enough and they dislike so much rain.
Apricots - some hardy English varieties exist, but they are not commonly grown.
Peaches - hardy English varieties exist and newer ones from Canada, America and Germany have added to these. Increasingly being grown and will ripen in the south, but in the north only usually ripen if trained against a wall.
Red & white currants - not nearly as common as blackcurrants and British don't use them for much.
Grapes - now fairly common in the south and increasingly so in the midlands and north. True wine varieties ripen in the south whilst hybrid varieties will produce wine, table or dual purpose grapes in the rest of the England and Wales. Too many home growers are being sold wine varieties when they want eating grapes though.

http://www.roundabout-malvern.co.uk/coddington%20wines.JPG
European wine grapes do well in the south. Hardier hybrid dessert and wine grapes do fine in the north.

Permafrost
02-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Yes, I grow chokeberries

http://i47.tinypic.com/qq8j9i.jpg

Yes, it tastes like it's name implies.

Sisak
02-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Some people in Croatia produce exotic fruits, for example siberian blueberry and indian bananas.

This man is producing kivano
http://i46.tinypic.com/2mfja0x.jpg

Caismeachd
02-06-2013, 07:23 AM
Some people in Croatia produce exotic fruits, for example siberian blueberry and indian bananas.

This man is producing kivano
http://i46.tinypic.com/2mfja0x.jpg

This is what I'd like to do as well. People seem to grow exotic peppers a lot. I know they do in Finland. But I'm not too interested in that.

I'd like to grow heirloom tomatoes, pineberries, and especially just other heirloom or even cross bred veggies. I think I'd be nice. If I had a huge garden and lived in a sunny place it would be nice to have a tree of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherimoya

Aquafina
02-06-2013, 07:25 AM
I used to when I lived with my parents.

Sisak
02-06-2013, 07:32 AM
This is what I'd like to do as well. People seem to grow exotic peppers a lot. I know they do in Finland. But I'm not too interested in that.

I'd like to grow heirloom tomatoes, pineberries, and especially just other heirloom or even cross bred veggies. I think I'd be nice. If I had a huge garden and lived in a sunny place it would be nice to have a tree of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherimoya

Croatia have 4 year season, not only summer.

Sisak
04-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Now is the time when you begin planting vegetables here

kabeiros
04-23-2013, 06:07 PM
In my village almost all people have small gardens in their backyard.32389

I grow tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, cucumbers, cabbages, onions and strawberries... at least half of the houses have chickens and 2-3 goats for their meat and eggs. We are pretty much sufficient in food on our own and that's why the crisis is not so hard here as it is in Athens and Thessaloniki.

Sisak
04-23-2013, 06:09 PM
In my village almost all people have small gardens in their backyard.32389

I grow tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, cucumbers, cabbages, onions and strawberries... at least half of the houses have chickens and 2-3 goats for their meat and eggs. We are pretty much sufficient in food on our own and that's why the crisis is not so hard here as it is in Athens and Thessaloniki.
at least you do not have to spend money on food

kabeiros
04-23-2013, 06:13 PM
I really enjoy taking care of my plants and vegetables and even more when I eat them. They taste 10 times better than stuff from the supermarket and are 1000 times healthier :)

Sisak
04-23-2013, 06:30 PM
I really enjoy taking care of my plants and vegetables and even more when I eat them. They taste 10 times better than stuff from the supermarket and are 1000 times healthier :)

yes it is very true

ALSh
04-23-2013, 09:00 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/34j3fux.jpg

Many families in Croatia produce their own vegetables such as peas, beans, salads, poppy, onion, pumpkin, carrots, tomato, potato, etc...We call it vrt or bašća. This is not separated yard with the fence, it is more open yard behind the houses. Also, they have plums, peaches, grapes, berries...

Yes i have one, but don't cultivate vegetables.

Instead, I have some olive trees, some mandarin and orange trees and limon trees ofc.

Mazik
04-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Yea, we got one at my parents place and we use to grow potatoes, tomatoes, strawberries, carrots etc.

But the garden is still partly covered with snow and the rest of the ground is frozen. So nothing can be planted yet.