PDA

View Full Version : Fall in Welsh speakers and proposed new measures for the language

Mistel
02-08-2013, 11:41 PM
Welsh language group's 'manifesto' call after census
The Welsh Language Society - Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg - has called for a new raft of measures to safeguard the language.

It follows a recorded drop in the number of Welsh speakers in Wales in the 2011 census results published on Tuesday.

The figures now suggest that Welsh is a minority language in two heartlands, Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion.

Around 300 people attended a rally in Caernarfon to launch the campaign.

Under the title 'Living Manifesto', the society is calling for changes to planning rules, education, and Welsh language use in the public sector.

It says it also wants the Welsh government to quadruple the amount invested in developing and protecting the language.

"This manifesto is a positive programme of work which could change the fate of our unique national language," insisted the society's chair, Robin Farrar, ahead of the rally in Caernarfon on Saturday.

"There's no point sitting back and accepting the census results.

"We believe it's the wish of an increasing number of people in Wales to live in a country where we can all live our lives in Welsh; we also understand that ensuring the strength of Welsh language communities is the only way to realise that vision.

"What's needed now is the political will to realise the ambition of people around the country."

The census figures published on Tuesday recorded an overall drop of 2% in the number of people who speak Welsh in Wales, to 562,016. That represents 19% of the population in Wales.

In the two historical Welsh-speaking heartlands of Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion - the drop was far more marked.

In Carmarthenshire, 43.9% of the population aged over three said they could speak Welsh in 2011, down from 50.3% in 2001 and 54.9% in 1991

In Ceredigion it was 47.3% in 2011, down from 52% in 2001.
Schools, jobs, homes

Under its new campaign, the Welsh Language Society says it wants to see current planning systems "transformed", and to take account of challenges posed by both those moving into Wales - and also leaving the country.

It is also calling for Welsh to be made an essential skill for public sector workers, and an education system "where every pupil leaves school completely fluent in the language".

"We have been discussing some of these idea for months amongst our membership, but we have been reviewing everything in light of the Census results," added the society's chair.

"We recognise the seriousness of the situation, so we are opening up our ideas for a discussion and hope to engage people across the country."

Some of the themes raised by the society were also picked-up by the Welsh Language Commissioner, Meri Huws, in her response to the census figures.

In her official capacity as the regulator on Welsh language issues for the government and other public bodies, she described the census results as the alarm clock ringing "very loudly" on the language issue.

"The housing market, migration and employment are the factors that have led to the Welsh language losing ground in the western counties," she said.

"As statutory standards are imposed on local authorities, I will be requiring them to consider the effects on the Welsh language of every policy decision that they make."

In the wake of the census findings. the Welsh government has pointed to its five-year strategy, A living language: a language for living, launched in March, which included encouraging the use of Welsh in social media, as well as within families and in the community.

A spokesman added that this recognised the "fragile state of the language" and looked to promote its use across all walks of life.

It said it census figures needed detailed analysis and the government looked forward to "working with all who have an interest in the future of the Welsh language to ensure its long-term sustainability".

Plaid Cymru AM for Arfon Alun Ffred Jones, who was the minister responsible for language from 2008 to 2011, said the census was a "wake-up call" for the language.

He said it faced cultural and peer pressures, including anglo-American entertainment geared towards young people.

Mr Jones said there was a consensus within the political parties about the language but this could lead to a "conspiracy of silence", he said.

A way forward would be to make sure that people have the skills in place to ensure that public servants are bilingual, he said.

That would mean that training opportunities have to be made available, he added.

"Workforce planning and language planning needs to be embedded in local authorities, as the decline is sharper in areas where there is not that language planning."

WELSH LANGUAGE FACTFILE
Census 2011 graphic

* 19% of the Welsh population aged over three said they were able to speak the language
* Able to speak Welsh: 562,016 Not able to speak Welsh: 2,393,825
* Gwynedd has the highest percentage of residents aged three or over who said they can speak, read and write in Welsh (65,900 people, 56%)
* In Carmarthenshire, 43.9% of the population aged over three said they could speak Welsh in 2011, down from 50.3% in 2001 and 54.9% in 1991
* In Ceredigion it was 47.3% in 2011, down from 52% in 2001
Source: Census 2011/ONS
Census 2011: Key Welsh data

Should every pupil leaving school be expected to speak Welsh completely fluently? How would it be possible, if they are not already first-language Welsh speakers? I studied Welsh in school until I left there to go to an English school at the age of 14 and, like most of my fellow pupils, I can only remember a few sentences and the numbers, etc. They would need to follow a pretty intense Welsh curriculum. What about people who move into Wales from England? The influx of English people from England obviously has an effect on the number of Welsh speakers in Wales. What could be done about them? Should they be made to learn Welsh, too?

Damiăo de Góis
02-08-2013, 11:53 PM
The only way to do it would be to become an independent country and ban english. Otherwise it will never work.

Although the irish didn't stop speaking english with independence...

Onur
02-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Actually your questions are so easy to answer but it looks like you guys are so anglicized and you cannot even think about how to do that.

Should every pupil leaving school be expected to speak Welsh completely fluently? How would it be possible, if they are not already first-language Welsh speakers? I studied Welsh in school until I left there to go to an English school at the age of 14 and, like most of my fellow pupils, I can only remember a few sentences and the numbers, etc. They would need to follow a pretty intense Welsh curriculum.
Abandon educating your children with foreign languages, simple as that.

What about people who move into Wales from England? The influx of English people from England obviously has an effect on the number of Welsh speakers in Wales. What could be done about them? Should they be made to learn Welsh, too?
what England does for the people who moves to London from outside? They educate them in English because it`s England. You can do the same and let the English children educate in Welsh because it`s Wales.

Not only in England, this is how it`s done in whole world. For example, there are some British neighborhoods in southern Turkey where only British people lives in our mediterranean coast. I think there are more than 10.000 of them here. Most of them are old people but some of them are young and have little children of their own. They are sending these kids to Turkish schools and they get educated in Turkish. I am sure some of them sends their children to private schools where they can get English+Turkish education but the majority of them goes to regular Turkish schools. I saw some of these kids on tv and they were speaking Turkish as good as me after 2-3 years. I am sure the ones in Wales would speak excellent Welsh in 1-2 years.

Mistel
02-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Maybe. I'm not Welsh, but I spent a lot of my childhood there. The problem is the influence of English. There are three TV channels in English, for example, but only one in Welsh. Most radio stations are in English. Most schools teach in English. Children often don't want to even learn Welsh because they think it is useless.

kabeiros
02-09-2013, 04:08 PM
I love linguistics and IMO every time that a language dies so does a culture. This is sad.

Germanicus
02-09-2013, 06:43 PM
I live right on the South Welsh Border, this part of Wales is vastly different from the north and central part.
Most schools teach PCeltic Welsh as a second language, as others have posted, it is useless and only used for examination purposes.
When I ask most young Welsh workers if they are Welsh speakers or their children speak it they shake their heads.:picard1: